ImageImage

RR Retained - Page 8

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

bigdog34
Senior
And1: 96

Re: RR Retained - Page 8 

Post#161 » by bigdog34 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 am

Much agreed twirl. The one common over the years had been Melvin. How he and his philosophy have been able to return year after year is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sell! Sell!! Sell!!!!
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#162 » by El Duderino » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:05 am

I love how often teams fire their hitting coach when the offense struggles, as if the hitting coach really matters much.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#163 » by kid idioteque » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:32 am

jr lucosa wrote:**** this team.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#164 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:02 pm

I agree that the team-building philosophy and basic talent level and payroll structure won't change. But in general, we can pretty safely assume that they will be borderline top third in the NL in talent, usually in that 4-7 range. If everything goes right, like in 2011, then they can finish with a top-3 record. If everything goes wrong, like in 2013, they can finish below .500.

So if that's the norm, we need to squeeze every extra win out of the team. Don't throw any away. Stop leading the majors (by a wide margin) in TOOTBLAN's. I don't disagree with aggressive base-running or aggressive hitting, but they rarely adapt to the situation. They never corrected issues such as risking an out to get to third with two outs, which is a horrible play. And they should have taken more pitches at times. You can be aggressive without being stubborn about it.

They also might have eked out a few more wins with a more progressive, matchup-oriented bullpen philosophy. Being a supportive, loyal player's manager who allows players the freedom to let their true talents show doesn't mean you can't bring in a lefty to face Lucas Duda, and it doesn't mean Will Smith should automatically pitch in the 8th.

I don't think it should be too hard to find a manager who's a little more into those fundamentals, and given the fact that we can't hope for a more ground-up team-building philosophy, that's the next best thing. The Brewers will be a playoff contender again next season, I have little doubt. I'd hate to see them throw it away by getting thrown out at home with no outs or giving up 3-run homers because Broxton is the closer regardless of whether the other team brings up 3 dangerous lefty bats in the 9th.

Finally, Mark A clearly acknowledged that he has questioned his competitive strategy. He wondered aloud whether he would have been better off building from the ground up, as teams that started that process 5 years ago have clearly surpassed his team now. So that's something to watch next offseason, though he clearly stated it's business as usual for the upcoming season.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#165 » by WEFFPIM » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:55 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out what Garth Iorg did.

I like Roenicke and think he's an above average manager, one you can win a division with. I would much rather have a new GM decide on Roenicke rather than have Melvin pick a new manager.

Is yesterday going to appease fans? Of course not. But the person who needs to be out wasn't going to be.

Both guys enter a "make or break" season next year.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#166 » by msiris » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Boooooo. RR is a turdy manager. Brain dead therefore he pretty much gambles on everything and does not understand the fundamentals of the game. Lets players manage their own game. :banghead:
Ride the tank
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Post#167 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:37 pm

I think there's little doubt he'll get canned if the team starts slowly next year.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#168 » by trwi7 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:16 am

It's sad reading this thread now.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Re: Fire RR and Melvin 

Post#169 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Sounds a lot like the coaching staff is toast, but Melvin is going to be back.

I think Craig Counsell is the Brewers coach next season.

Helluva call there, mod.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers