ImageImage

Offseason thread - Hunter Morris Traded to Pitt

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Re: Offseason thread 

Post#121 » by raysbookclub » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:I hope so. With Thornburg, Nelson, Fiers, and Peralta, you should be able to patch together a decent rotation without three slightly-better-than-mediocre "proven" vets who are each making 8-figures. There's no guarantee Lohse, Garza, or Gallardo will be better than the young guys anyway. Lohse has a career ERA+ under 100, Gallardo has been trending in the wrong direction for 3 years now, and Garza has some elbow issues as well as an established track record of being only slightly better than average. Some of that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Put them all on the block and see who you get a decent offer for. If for some reason a team really wants Yo, so be it. If they want Garza, let them have him. Lohse has been the best in the last 2 years, so maybe he'll be the one to fetch a decent offer. They all have roughly the same expected value for me, so I could care less - although it is close to their last chance to get some value for Lohse and Yovani.

I'm guessing that they don't trade any of their SPs, at least in the offseason. They can keep Nelson either in the bullpen or in AAA to work on a third pitch, since odds are that you're going to need 6-8 starters over the course of the year because of injury. They want to win next year.

If the first few months are a disaster and they're clearly out of it by the deadline, then for sure Gallardo and Loshe will be available.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#122 » by BigDee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mass_Haas/status/533752949114408961[/tweet]
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#123 » by BigDee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:55 pm

BigDee wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mass_Haas/status/533752949114408961[/tweet]
Forget it, false rumor.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#124 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The Brewers made a move to acquire a near MLB-ready CF in Kyle Wren. They gave up Zach Quintana.

What is the story on Quintana? Just an average prospect? Looks like he was a 3rd round pick a few years back - although MLB picks are a crapshoot.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#125 » by wichmae » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 am

Low upside. Probably wont make a MLB team..
LarryFlanders
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#126 » by LarryFlanders » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Zach Duke to the White Sox
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#127 » by jr lucosa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Sucks to see him go, giving a reliever 3 years is risky though, not sure I would've been comfortable giving him that contract.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#128 » by Siefer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:31 pm

mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#129 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:02 pm

http://sodomojo.com/2014/11/20/fs-faux- ... milwaukee/

That trade would be great for us:

Gomez/Jungmann for Walker/Peterson/Jackson
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#130 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:33 pm

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#131 » by humanrefutation » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Seriously, we better not rely on Fiers going into next season. We went through that **** two years ago. Let's see how he looks for a couple regular season months with an offseason of scouting against him before we pencil him into the rotation.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#132 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Seriously, we better not rely on Fiers going into next season. We went through that **** two years ago. Let's see how he looks for a couple regular season months with an offseason of scouting against him before we pencil him into the rotation.

The fact that a particular poster has not come on here to threaten your life because of this statement is a large surprise to me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#133 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Seriously, we better not rely on Fiers going into next season. We went through that **** two years ago. Let's see how he looks for a couple regular season months with an offseason of scouting against him before we pencil him into the rotation.

DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#134 » by DanoMac » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/537623510332747776[/tweet]

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2014/11/ ... it-worked/
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,430

Post#135 » by blazza18 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 pm

That is exciting news. Not getting my hopes up though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#136 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:25 am

It feels great now when he doesn't have to swing a bat. We'll see how it feels at the end of spring training and in the middle of the season.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#137 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:20 pm

trwi7 wrote:It feels great now when he doesn't have to swing a bat. We'll see how it feels at the end of spring training and in the middle of the season.

Worst case scenario he has to have it done again or a few more times. At least we know the recovery time is really quick now so if it comes down to it he'll just miss a few games and be good again. Either way better than last year and the last few years with him.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#138 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:56 pm

NeedsMoreCheese wrote:
trwi7 wrote:It feels great now when he doesn't have to swing a bat. We'll see how it feels at the end of spring training and in the middle of the season.

Worst case scenario he has to have it done again or a few more times. At least we know the recovery time is really quick now so if it comes down to it he'll just miss a few games and be good again. Either way better than last year and the last few years with him.

True but saying it feels good at the end of November doesn't really mean much. I'm sure he's swinging a bat and everything but he's not being jammed by 95 mph fastballs day after day.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#139 » by El Duderino » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:11 am

What exactly does this even mean?

1. Do you really think other teams are going to be spending time in the offseason doing heavy scouting of Fiers to see how better to hit off him come next year?

2. Teams during last season season could watch film of a few of his starts to clearly see how he pitches, they wouldn't need a full offseason to figure this out. The same goes for other pitchers. The vast majority of starters only throw 3 or 4 pitches at most. Fiers primarily relies on a fastball, curve, and change. Given he doesn't throw that hard, he has success when he commands his pitches well, the same goes for others guys like say Lohse and numerous other pitchers who throw in that 88-90mph range.

So i have zero concern that an "offseason of scouting" Fiers will doom him to failure come next season. What could doom him is the same thing that would doom the myriad of other command pitchers in baseball, not commanding his pitches consistently and thus leaving to many pitches over the heart of the plate. If though he can keep the same type of command as last year on a fairly consistent basis, there is no reason to believe he can't be a middle of the rotation starter. It's not as if Fiers was getting by on an assortment of trick pitches that hitters have never seen before.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#140 » by humanrefutation » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 am

El Duderino wrote:

What exactly does this even mean?

1. Do you really think other teams are going to be spending time in the offseason doing heavy scouting of Fiers to see how better to hit off him come next year?

2. Teams during last season season could watch film of a few of his starts to clearly see how he pitches, they wouldn't need a full offseason to figure this out. The same goes for other pitchers. The vast majority of starters only throw 3 or 4 pitches at most. Fiers primarily relies on a fastball, curve, and change. Given he doesn't throw that hard, he has success when he commands his pitches well, the same goes for others guys like say Lohse and numerous other pitchers who throw in that 88-90mph range.

So i have zero concern that an "offseason of scouting" Fiers will doom him to failure come next season. What could doom him is the same thing that would doom the myriad of other command pitchers in baseball, not commanding his pitches consistently and thus leaving to may pitches over the heart of the plate. If though he can keep the same type of command as last year on a fairly consistent basis, there is no reason to believe he can't be a middle of the rotation starter.

What that means is pretty simple. I do think teams are going to scout him (though I don't know what you mean by "heavy scouting" as I never said they'd scout him more than other young, fresh commodities). They could pick up on tendencies that will impact him going forward.

But more than that, the last time we went aboard the Fiers train, he started off with about 13 excellent starts before finishing the season with 10 dismal starts before failing to make the ball club out of ST during the following year. He completely collapsed. You can say it was a lack of command, or it was good scouting, or both. Either way, he **** the bed. That offseason, there were posters here (not just DB, though we do tease him about that) that penciled in Fiers into the rotation, despite his questionable stuff and uneven performance from the previous year. That would be a mistake.

Irrespective of my comments on "an offseason of scouting," whether it's scouting or command is irrelevant to me. My point is that I'm unwilling to pencil Fiers in this go around after he shat the bed during the last go around. I want to see him come back strong before I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers