ImageImage

Roenicke Fired; Counsell Hired

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Madtown
Sophomore
And1: 50

Re: Roenicke Fired 

Post#41 » by Madtown » Mon May 4, 2015 4:19 am

blazza18 wrote:McCalvy RT'd out tweets saying it isn't Gardenhire, nor will it be a interim spot. So probably Counsell , right ?

Heard the same thing with Counsell. If so, why the f*** do you do that to him. This team is a heaping pile. Not even youth to look forward to.

I was so happy earlier when I heard we were going full fire sale. Great.

My only hope in their line of thinking is that they thought Roenicke was not on board with the fire sale and would have messed with any young guys we acquired/brought up. That's all a big if, but it's the only thing that would make sense.

The real problem is with player acquisition/development. To which there is freaking none.
Madtown
Sophomore

Post#42 » by Madtown » Mon May 4, 2015 4:21 am

trwi7 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/595075577046016000[/tweet]

Love Counsell. Hopefully he'll get his job back in the front office after the season is done and we get a real manager.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,874

Post#43 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon May 4, 2015 4:27 am

He has zero experience so if that's something that matters to you I guess that's about the only way to dislike this hire. Otherwise I don't see how he doesn't deserve a chance to show that he can be competent.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#44 » by jr lucosa » Mon May 4, 2015 4:58 am

I like it
Madtown
Sophomore

Post#45 » by Madtown » Mon May 4, 2015 5:01 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:He has zero experience so if that's something that matters to you I guess that's about the only way to dislike this hire. Otherwise I don't see how he doesn't deserve a chance to show that he can be competent.

I don't think he doesn't deserve a chance to show, besides the fact that he has zero experience. Like I said, I love the guy. My hope in this complete clusterf*** of a season is that we fire sell this bi*** into oblivion. We get some you guys in the process along with a high pick next summer. Counsell can keep everyone even keeled through the process this year and next year our new manager can start the process of turning this into a yearly contender.
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 679

Post#46 » by ColeWorld23 » Mon May 4, 2015 5:01 am

It can't hurt.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,721

Re: Roenicke Fired; Counsell Hired 

Post#47 » by emunney » Mon May 4, 2015 6:51 am

Counsell, ever the soldier.

"Hey Craig, are you available to fall on 137 grenades?"
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#48 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 4, 2015 7:22 am

Eh, Melvin and Attanasio deflecting the real blame with a scapegoat. Time for those two to face the music
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#49 » by Aaron It Out » Mon May 4, 2015 11:49 am

I'm a big Counsell mark so I like this without knowing anything about his managing abilities. Also I hope they are willing to be patient with him through a rebuild.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,011

Post#50 » by Siefer » Mon May 4, 2015 1:28 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RRR sucked, but this roster is a flaming pile regardless.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#51 » by crkone » Mon May 4, 2015 2:13 pm

If we really want to guarantee a successful season, he should also take over as hitting coach.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#52 » by Outlander » Mon May 4, 2015 2:30 pm

Madtown wrote:Love Counsell. Hopefully he'll get his job back in the front office after the season is done and we get a real manager.

I guess that would make sense. Perhaps grooming him for the GM or another top level front office job after the season and this ensures that the guy management wants to play does get playing time. Counsell could be the Brewers version of Connie Mack, maybe he can wear a suit too.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#53 » by DanoMac » Mon May 4, 2015 3:03 pm

I'm down with it
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,958

Post#54 » by sidney lanier » Mon May 4, 2015 3:05 pm

crkone wrote:If we really want to guarantee a successful season, he should also take over as hitting coach.

Well, he did hit lefties pretty well (.249 vs. .255 overall, career), so maybe he could show Scooter a thing or two.

Counsell is smart, well-spoken, young enough to have played with some of these guys, and should get their attention. I don't see him either as a placeholder or the head of a demolition crew. If they climb to within a few games of .500 by the deadline, I think that will be Melvin's cue to do some extensive restoration. If not, then the wrecking ball. But I expect a reinvigoration and some improvement.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,874

Post#55 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon May 4, 2015 3:28 pm

sidney lanier wrote:If they climb to within a few games of .500 by the deadline, I think that will be Melvin's cue to do some extensive restoration. If not, then the wrecking ball. But I expect a reinvigoration and some improvement.

It would be incredibly short-sighted to base anything on how we play over the next couple months. Hank the Dog could've been named manager and we would've shown improvement because we have too much talent to have the worst record in baseball. A little bit of regression to the mean in the next month or two is inevitable and shouldn't be any kind of determining factor in the big picture going forward.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Post#56 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 4, 2015 3:30 pm

Seems a bit like a Herb or Bud move. Get in a popular local hero to try and salvage something for gate sales. Law of averages says Brewers will improve a bit regardless of the manager.

Counsell might be a good manager, but it was time for Melvin to go. Really like the guy, but it's been 12 years and we've run the Braun/Fielder/Weeks/Hart plus some mid level veteran pitchers thing as far as it could be run.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#57 » by humanrefutation » Mon May 4, 2015 3:33 pm

Counsell gets a three year deal.
CaptainAwesome
Senior
And1: 83

Re: Re: Roenicke Fired; Counsell Hired 

Post#58 » by CaptainAwesome » Mon May 4, 2015 4:03 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Seems a bit like a Herb or Bud move. Get in a popular local hero to try and salvage something for gate sales. Law of averages says Brewers will improve a bit regardless of the manager.

Counsell might be a good manager, but it was time for Melvin to go. Really like the guy, but it's been 12 years and we've run the Braun/Fielder/Weeks/Hart plus some mid level veteran pitchers thing as far as it could be run.

I think the phrase you're looking for to describe teams Melvin puts together is "beer league softball:" Power above all else. Basically 3TO on crack, as clearly they didn't care about the walks portion.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,958

Post#59 » by sidney lanier » Mon May 4, 2015 4:17 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:If they climb to within a few games of .500 by the deadline, I think that will be Melvin's cue to do some extensive restoration. If not, then the wrecking ball. But I expect a reinvigoration and some improvement.

It would be incredibly short-sighted to base anything on how we play over the next couple months. Hank the Dog could've been named manager and we would've shown improvement because we have too much talent to have the worst record in baseball. A little bit of regression to the mean in the next month or two is inevitable and shouldn't be any kind of determining factor in the big picture going forward.

If improvement would be regression to the mean, then by definition April was normal random variation and should itself not be used for planning purposes.

There's no denying that this is an aging team with some big holes getting bigger. To me that's only a partial argument for a teardown—a necessary cause, but not a sufficient one, to begin again. I like what Melvin said (he even used a rare double and that at the end of his thought, so you know he meant it) about Counsell knowing the farm system, and, by implication, understanding who can be moved up and when. I think we'll end up trading some vets for prospects, but I see the rejuvenation of this team as more Cards-like than Cubs-like.

Counsell sounds from his presser that he's going to be similar in style to RRR—get out the way and let em play. Interesting how he downplayed the importance of setting the lineup and pitching changes. He definitely has the player's perspective on what a manager is and does.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#60 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon May 4, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't discount the value of Roenicke's hands-off style and the fact that the didn't micromanage. That's part of what makes this a place where players want to be. However, the base-running and bullpen management make this a no-brainer. Even a team of rookies shouldn't make such bad decisions on the base-paths, and RR needs to play the matchups instead of the innings when it comes to the bullpen. It's not rocket science.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers