ImageImageImageImageImage

MLB/Mets Offseason Thread.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Re: MLB Offseason Thread. 

Post#41 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:54 pm

"A team source doubts that right-hander Aaron Harang will return to the Padres for the 2012 season.

At this point, it is unclear whether San Diego or Harang rejected the mutual option on the starting pitcher's contract."

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cNIjXbN4

I think Harang could be a really good fit with the Mets and Citi Field, but I don't know if the Mets will give him a long term deal and that might be what he's looking for.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#42 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 pm

I just wanted to point out that I by accident posted a few things going around baseball with free agents like Aramis Ramirez in the Jose Reyes thread. So, there's a few posts in there not about Reyes and the posts should have been posted in here.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#43 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 pm

"The Indians have declined their 2012 option on OF Grady Sizemore, and the Pirates have declined their $9.5 million option on LHP Paul Maholm; making both players free agents.

Sizemore, 29, has played in only 210 games since 2009, while hitting just .234 with 28 home runs and 109 RBI. He had micro-fracture surgery on his left knee in 2010. He recently underwent arthroscopic surgery on that same knee, but is expected to be ready for Spring Training.

Maholm, 29, was 6-14 this past season with a 3.66 ERA in 26 starts. However, he missed the final six weeks of the year due to a left shoulder strain."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/31/opti ... re-maholm/

Both are interesting players and I could see the Mets being interested in both of them When healthy, Sizemore is one of the best CF in the game, but he's been hurt a lot the past few years. Maholm was really good last year despite the 6-14 record, but he was hurt last year as well. Both could possibly be low risk, high reward players and I could Sandy interested in that type of player.
NYman15
Veteran

Re: MLB/Mets Offseason Thread. 

Post#44 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 pm

"According to Andy Martino of the Daily News, a team source has indicated that Willie Harris and Scott Hairston will not be resigned until much later in the off-season, “if they are resigned at all.”

Martino adds, however, that Harris “became a clubhouse leader and one of manager Terry Collins’ favorites, so a return is not impossible.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/31/dail ... will-wait/

I think both bring something to the table, but they're not extremely important to this team. I think both had somewhat down years with the bat. I think Hariston has some pop and can hit for some average, but I think he's a better hitter when he's playing everyday and I don't see him playing everyday with the Mets. I think Harris is a decent hitter with some pop, and he is versatile on defense so I could see him coming back and it sounds like he became a good leader in the clubhouse so I could see him coming back. I could see both coming back or neither of them coming back, but I think Harris has the better chance at coming back.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#45 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:16 pm

"Here is a quick round-up of hot stove news and rumors making their way around MLB:

This afternoon, the Cleveland Indians declined the 2012 option on center fielder Grady Sizemore, making him a free agent.
The Indians also acquired RHP Derek Lowe from the Braves in exchange for a minor leaguer. The Braves will absorb all but $5 million of Lowe’s remaining $15 million salary, tweets Buster Olney of ESPN.
In a post to Twitter, Danny Knobler of CBS sports reports the Braves have excercised the 2012 option on Eric Hinske, but declined their option on center fielder Nate McClouth.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times says the Padres are likely to offer Heath Bell arbitration."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/31/hot- ... h-is-free/

So, Derek Lowe is out of the division. He really struggled last year and it shows the Braves really wanted to trade him as they paid 10 million of his 15 million dollar salary for next year. Also, both McClouth and Sizemore could be options for the Mets CF position for next year.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#46 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 4:00 am

“We’ve got four or five guys that I would call ‘above the line,’ that we could go into the season with, in the rotation…We have far fewer than that in the bullpen right now.”

~ Sandy Alderson, as quoted by ESPN New York

During the September 20 broadcast on SNY, Sandy Alderson said he expects to go into Spring Training with a similar rotation to what is in place now, citing the need for growth among pitchers such as Mike Pelfrey and Jon Niese."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/31/sand ... -does-not/

I understand what Sandy is saying. You're hoping some of your young starters improve and with the addition, hopefully, of Johan Santana and you go with that into the season. I'd like to see them try and get another good starter, but they have other issues that are more in need of help. Mainly the bullpen where it looks like they'll be bringing in a whole lot of new pitchers And, hopefully, by the middle to the end of next year we see some of the top pitching prospects coming up like Matt Harvey or Jeurys Familia and then, hopefully, you can count on them to being a full time starter in 2013.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#47 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 4:32 am

"With teams having to decide whether or not to exercise player options (and vice versa) by midnight tonight, here is a quick round-up of hot stove news and rumors making their way around MLB tonight:

The Reds announced they have exercised 2B Brandon Phillips‘ option for 2012, which will pay him $12 million.
The Reds also announced they have declined the $12 million option on closer Francisco Cordero, opting to buy him out and make him a free agent.
The Blue Jays announced they have declined their $3.75 million option on closer Jon Rauch.
The Royals announced they have exercised closer Joakim Soria’s $6 million option for 2012.
The Rays have exercised their $7.5 million option on James Shields, writes Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
While the Rays also exercised Kyle Farnsworth‘s $3.3 million option, they declined C Kelly Shoppach‘s $3.2 million option.
In a post to Twitter, CC Sabathia says he has agreed to a new contract with the Yankees. According to Buster Olney of ESPN, Sabathia’s new deal calls for a one year extension to his old contract and a total value of $122 million over five years with a $25 million option for 2017."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/31/hot- ... ps-option/

So, a few more closers added to the list of potential closers for the Mets next season. With the closers position being so deep this offseason, this is definitely good news for the Mets who need a closer and a whole lot more in their bullpen, but maybe with the closers market so deep, with only a certain amount of teams needing a closer, maybe this makes the prices closers will be asking for to drop. I think there's a chance some of the best closers on the market are forced to drop their asking prices and maybe that allows the Mets to go after one of the top closers on the market.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#48 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 9:29 pm

“We got into being a little bit mentally lazy and overly secure. … I think that caused a lot of the homers this year. I really do. …[The new dimensions] will help us focus and concentrate and not be so ready to go out there and throw a fastball away and hope they hit it to center field.”

~ Dan Warthen, as quoted by the Wall Street Journal

"In 2011, the Mets allowed 58 home runs at home and 89 on the road (4.19 team ERA). In 2010, the Mets allowed 47 home runs and home and 88 on the road (3.73 team ERA), and 81 home runs at home and 77 on the road in 2009 (4.46 team ERA)."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/31/pitc ... qus_thread

This makes some sense and I understand why they'd feel this way. Hopefully, they can fix it next year and ,hopefully, the dimensions can help them focus more. The pitching has to improve next year.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#49 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 9:35 pm

"Carlos Beltran, who will hit the free agent market this offseason, has dropped Scott Boras as his agent and hired Dan Lozano, according to a source.

Beltran, 34, is a .283 hitter with 302 home runs in 14 big league seasons.

He reportedly interviewed several agencies this summer before deciding on Lozano, who also represents Albert Pujols and Jimmy Rollins."

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ops_boras/

Woe, I'm a little surprised as Scott Boras is a great agent, but I believe Dan Lozano is a great agent as well. I've heard Beltran is looking for a 3 year deal. I think he ends up back with the Giants.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#50 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 9:43 pm

"Rangers left-handed pitcher C.J. Wilson, set to hit the free agent market on Thursday, says there's a "great chance" he remains with the team.

"I like it here and I've won here," Wilson said.

"I've proved that I can be a good pitcher here. There have been a lot of people over the years that have said it's impossible to pitch here in Texas, and look what we did here on the rotation -- we went out and won a bunch of games and threw a bunch of innings and did stuff that no other organization can say."

Wilson, who turns 31 later this month, has made a successful transition from reliever to starter the past two seasons.

He was 16-7 with a 2.94 ERA in a team-high 223 1/3 innings as the club's No. 1 starter in 2011."

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... h_rangers/

C.J. Wilson will be the top pitcher on the market now with C.C. Sabathia off the market. He's a very good pitcher, buy I don't see him as a true ace, but I think some team may pay him a ton of money for a true ace, too much money in my opinion. He's a very good pitcher that could be a very good number 2 starter on the Mets behind hopefully a healthy Johan, but I don't see the Mets offering the amount of money he's gonna want.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#51 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 10:34 pm

"In a post to MLB Trade Rumors, Tim Dierkes provides salary projections for nearly 200 arbitration eligible players.

Included in the projections are the Mets arbitration eligible players Mike Pelfrey and Angel Pagan.

Dierkes suggests Pelfrey will earn $5.8 million in arbitration, while Pagan may earn $4.7 million through the process."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/01/mlbt ... -salaries/

I believe Pelfrey will be back although I don't see Pagan coming back. I think the front office sees Pelfrey as a pitcher will a lot of potential and he still gives you innings. While, I don't think the front office thinks that highly of Pagan. That's just my guess, but there have been reports that have said it's unlikely Pagan comes back.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#52 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 10:40 pm

"With the exclusivity period for teams to negotiate with their own free agents expiring tomorrow at 11:59 PM ET, here is a quick round-up of hot stove news and rumors making their way around MLB today:

Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the Red Sox are expected to explore signing free agent OF Grady Sizemore as a right field option.
The Yankees announced they have reached an agreement on a three year contract extension with GM Brian Cashman.
Carlos Beltran has switched agents from Scott Boras to Dan Lozano, tweets Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.
C.J. Wilson recently told Paul Salfen of Scoreboard Daily there is a great chance he will return to the Rangers.
Shi Davidi from Rogers Sportsnet says Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos hasn’t ruled out re-signing free agent RHP Jon Rauch.
John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press says Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski has basically ruled out an attempt to sign Jose Reyes."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/01/hot- ... d-explore-

Well, I guess you can pretty much rule out 1 team as a possibility for Jose Reyes. I'd like to see the Mets sign Sizemore if they can get him to a cheap contract, but I see a lot of teams going after him.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#53 » by NYman15 » Wed Nov 2, 2011 5:02 pm

"Andy Martino of the Daily News talked with executives from around Major League baseball familiar with the Mets’ thinking and, based on his conversations, he says:

It is highly unlikely David Wright will be traded this winter, no matter what happens with Jose Reyes.
Alderson would have to be “bowled over” to deal him.
Alderson will listen to offers, but will be strongly disinclined to deal Wright.
Citi Fields new dimensions are high among the reasons why the Mets are reluctant to trade Wright this winter.
The Mets will become more aggressive in shopping Wright if the club struggles early in 2012.

In addition, sources close to Wright’s camp have told Martino his agents Seth and Sam Levinson do not plan to seek a contract extension this off-season, and people close to the team predict Wright’s contract will remain “status quo.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/02/wrig ... qus_thread

I don't think Wright gets traded this winter. I think he'll be with the team on Opening Day, but like this article says, if the team gets off to a bad start, I could see Wright traded. However, I think the Mets want to see how does with the fences being moved in before making a decision about his future with the Mets.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#54 » by NYman15 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 2:39 am

"This afternoon, Peter Gammons was a guest of Mike Francesa on WFAN and said he believes there is a strong possibility the Mets will look to trade David Wright this winter regardless of whether or not they retain Jose Reyes.

In addition, Gammons said:

It’s good for the Mets that the Dodgers aren’t in the mix for Reyes, since he’d be the kind of a player a new owner would likely want to sign.
Eventually, he thinks Reyes will re-sign with the Mets.
Reyes could sign by the Winter Meetings in early December, whereas Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols might not sign until mid-December.
If the Mets can’t re-sign Reyes, they might think they need a three- to four-year rebuilding phase and so Wright could be available.
Texas is “an early favorite” to sign Prince Fielder.
Joey Votto could possible be a trade candidate if another team offers enough pitching.
Andre Ethier could emerge as a trade candidate as well.

Wright hit just .254 with 14 home runs and 61 RBI in 102 games in 2011 with 97 strikeouts in 389 at bats. He missed more than two months after fracturing a bone in his back after a collision with Ike Davis in May."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/02/gamm ... hot-stove/

Nice to hear 1 reporter thinks Reyes will end up back with the Mets. Hopefully, it comes true. Peter Gammons also said he thinks there's a strong possibility the Mets will look to deal Wright. I think they'll listen to offers and if someone wants to overpay for them, then they'll probably do it, but I think he ends up back with the Mets.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#55 » by NYman15 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 6:21 pm

"AdamRubinESPN Adam Rubin
Mets want CF. Sizemore, Crisp & if not tendered Upton best of lot. RT @AdamKilgoreWP: Crisp's agent tells @susanslusser he wants West Coast."

https://twitter.com/#!/adamrubinespn

I'd like to see the Mets go after Sizemore as long as it's not a long term deal, but when he's healthy, he's one of the best CF in the game. It seems more and more like Angel Pagan won't be back next season.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#56 » by NYman15 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 9:40 pm

I can't post the tweet, but it basically says it's unlikely that the Mets go after Sizemore. I'd like to see him on the Mets, but I understand why they wouldn't go after him. He's a health risk and they might not want to throw a lot of money at him knowing he hasn't been fully healthy for a while.

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/03/mets ... -sizemore/

Return to New York Mets