ImageImageImageImageImage

MLB/Mets Offseason Thread.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

MLB/Mets Offseason Thread. 

Post#1 » by NYman15 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:36 pm

I thought we could use this thread to update what's going on in free agency around the MLB. Lots of big free agents and big storyline's. The 4 big free agents out there possibly are Jose Reyes, Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, and possibly C.C. Sabathia if he decides to opt out of his contract. So, I thought we could update this thread with any news going on with free agency.
NYman15
Veteran

Re: MLB Free Agency Thread. 

Post#2 » by NYman15 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:46 pm

"In a report for SI.com, Jon Heyman cites an NL assistant GM as saying neither Albert Pujols nor Prince Fielder will sign for more than $200 million this winter, and one NL executive believes Fielder will sign for less than what Adrian Gonzalez signed for in Boston (eight years, $154 million), saying “[Gonzalez is] just a better player.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/15/heym ... than-200m/

2 of the biggest hitters on the market. I'm sure they'll both get a ton of interest.
NYman15
Veteran

Re: MLB Offseason Thread. 

Post#3 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:45 am

"After the season, Cardinals RHP Adam Wainwright will have completed a four year, $15 million deal he signed with the Cardinals before the 2008 season, although the Cardinals hold a $9 million option on him for 2012 and a $12 million option on him for 2013.

Wainwright underwent season-ending Tommy John Surgery in March, although he threw off a mound for the first time since the surgery in September"

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/15/adam ... is-winter/

I could see the Mets going after him if he makes it to free agency. When healthy, he is a top of the rotation type of starter. It sounds like he might be able to start next year fully healthy. He could be looking for a 1 year type of deal with incentives something like what Chris Capuano had this past year. I would definitely look at Wainwright.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#4 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 am

"According to Marty Caswell of XX1090 sports radio in San Diego, the Padres will not be picking up the $6 million option for RHP Chad Qualls.

In addition, the Padres are still mulling what they intend to do with the $5 million mutual option for RHP Aaron Harang."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/15/padr ... ng-harang/

Both guys are good pitchers and could help the Mets. Qualls is a reliever who has been a good reliever for most of his career and Harang had a great, bounceback year last year who could help the Mets and serve as a back of the rotation starter. However, I think Harang will be brought back.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#5 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 am

I just made a new thread as there is a report that the Diamondbacks could have interest in David Wright. So, we've now heard that the Rockies and Diamondbacks could have interest in Wright. I've also heard the Tigers could have interest as well.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#6 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:38 pm

“[Jose Reyes] has no reason to sign in the exclusivity period, having nothing to gain before seeing the market come into focus. The only way would be if the Mets blew him away with an offer, and that isn’t happening…there are very few shortstops in the last 20 years who come close to Reyes in terms of skills and abilities. And that means Reyes will have to test the free agent market to establish a price range.”

~ Steve Popper, Bergen Record

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/16/popp ... price-tag/

Steve Popper just goes over Reyes and his free agency. He compares him to other players and what they got in FA. Reyes is definitely priority number 1 for Sandy. We'll see what happens.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#7 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 am

"According to Danny Knobler of CBS Sports, a source inside the Rangers organization says LHP C.J. Wilson is seeking $100 million this winter.

“He wants $100 million, and he’s not getting that from us,” the source told Knobler."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/16/c-j- ... nt-pay-it/

I don't think the Mets will be going after Wilson, but after C.C. Sabathia, he is the top pitcher on th market and will draw a lot of interest.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#8 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:21 am

"In a recent chat with fans, Bill Center of the San Diego Tribune says Heath Bell is seeking a three year contract.

Last month, Sandy Alderson suggested that next year’s closer is not currently on the roster and intimated to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York he isn’t averse to signing a big ticket closer although according to Mike Puma of the New York Post, while Alderson recognizes the need for a reliable closer, Alderson recently said he would like “options” in the bullpen, saying:

“I think [the closer] is a spot where a team has to have some confidence that those saves are going to be converted, routinely and at a certain level…[Bullpens] can be unpredictable. But one has to account for that unpredictability, which means you have to have lots of options. You have to have flexibility. You have to have players that can go to Triple-A and come back. But you also have to hit on two or three guys that can be effective for you.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/16/heat ... -contract/

The bullpen is definitely a top priority for Sandy Alderson this offseason. The bullpen probably needs to be completely redone. And a closer is a top need. Heath Bell is a great closer, but even though Sandy didn't discount the possibility of going after a big name closer, I think we'll see him go after guys like Joe Nathan and Johnathan Broxton. Low risk, high potential type of guys. But this is definitely a situation to keep a close eye on.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#9 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:25 am

"LHP Mark Buehrle is eligible for free agency this winter, and he is coming off a season in which he went 13-9 with a 3.59 ERA, marking the 11th consecutive season he has won at least ten games, thrown at least 200 innings, and made 30 or more starts."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/16/woul ... k-buehrle/

Buehrle is an interesting pitcher. He doesn't have great stuff, yet he's been able to be successful for many years. He'd be an interesting guy to look at, but he's older and is probably gonna want to go to the right situation that will give him multiple years and money and I don't think NY is the right place for him. But he'll definitely be one of the top pitchers on the market.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#10 » by NYman15 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Goid question, will Carl Crawford's contract affect Jose Reyes contract negotiations?

"This past weekend, Red Sox owner John Henry told 98.5 FM radio in Boston that he ‘personally opposed signing Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $140 million deal last winter,’ but he deferred to his baseball operations department.

The 30-year-old Crawford hit .255 with a .289 OBP, 11 HR, 56 RBI, 29 doubles and 18 stolen bases while playing left field and mostly batting towards the bottom of the order last year for the Red Sox (which was his first year of the new contract).

Matthew Cerrone: In talking to people around the game, I don’t think Crawford’s deal will impact the market for Jose Reyes as much as I initially thought. I figured seeing Crawford struggle might spook teams interested in Jose, considering both players rely so heavily on speed and are pushing 30. But, as more than one person told me (be it agents or front office people), each team will value these guys in different ways and they will reach those conclusions independent of one another. Plus, the popular buzz in Boston seems to be that Crawford struggled after putting a TON of pressure on himself to live up to his contract, and he was sort of taken aback by how intense that city’s fans and media could be. This could be good news for Boston, in that, after a year there, perhaps Crawford will be more comfortable next season and have a better sense of what to expect. The thing is, that is not likely to happen to Reyes (who was basically born and raised (as a baseball player) under the spotlight in New York City). Jose knows pressure. He knows rabid fans. He knows a relentless media. And so, the market seems to be looking at these two players in two very different ways, despite fans and media seeing them as similar because of their wheels and contract demands."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/18/does ... ose-reyes/
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#11 » by treiz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 pm

NYman15 wrote:"After the season, Cardinals RHP Adam Wainwright will have completed a four year, $15 million deal he signed with the Cardinals before the 2008 season, although the Cardinals hold a $9 million option on him for 2012 and a $12 million option on him for 2013.

Wainwright underwent season-ending Tommy John Surgery in March, although he threw off a mound for the first time since the surgery in September"

I could see the Mets going after him if he makes it to free agency. When healthy, he is a top of the rotation type of starter. It sounds like he might be able to start next year fully healthy. He could be looking for a 1 year type of deal with incentives something like what Chris Capuano had this past year. I would definitely look at Wainwright.

When healthy Wainwright has ace stuff material, don't see Cards letting him go at least for this year. Especially since they're in the WS now.
treiz
RealGM

Post#12 » by treiz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Don't want us to overpay for any pitchers, especially CJ Wilson. Don't see CC leaving Yankees

Will be surprised if we can somehow keep Reyes, like the article says he's a one of a kind player an the interest on him will be too high and we're too broke.

Buehrle is staying in Chicago, I think they've confirmed they want to resign him. Wouldn't mind him though, although Chris Young had a good year with us last year before the injury. Hope we give him another chance.

Would like Bell or Broxton for the closer position. Especially Broxton, he's been down for the last couple of years and I think a change of scenery can do him wonders.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#13 » by NYman15 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:20 am

treiz wrote:
NYman15 wrote:"After the season, Cardinals RHP Adam Wainwright will have completed a four year, $15 million deal he signed with the Cardinals before the 2008 season, although the Cardinals hold a $9 million option on him for 2012 and a $12 million option on him for 2013.

When healthy Wainwright has ace stuff material, don't see Cards letting him go at least for this year. Especially since they're in the WS now.

I agree that I think he ends up back with the Cards. However, I don't believe that's definite. Remember, they have to go after Pujols and he's gonna want a lot of money and they might spend too much on him that it will take them out of the bidding for Wainwright and they might have to let him go. However, in the end, I think he ends up back with St. Louis.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#14 » by NYman15 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 am

treiz wrote:Don't want us to overpay for any pitchers, especially CJ Wilson. Don't see CC leaving Yankees

Will be surprised if we can somehow keep Reyes, like the article says he's a one of a kind player an the interest on him will be too high and we're too broke.

Buehrle is staying in Chicago, I think they've confirmed they want to resign him. Wouldn't mind him though, although Chris Young had a good year with us last year before the injury. Hope we give him another chance.

Would like Bell or Broxton for the closer position. Especially Broxton, he's been down for the last couple of years and I think a change of scenery can do him wonders.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I don't want to overpay for C.J. Wilson especially since he's already 31 years old and I don't like giving out long term deals to pitchers unless they're 1 of the top pitchers in the game. And I agree that CC isn't leaving the Yanks even if they have to give him 7 years.

Unfortunately, I don't see Jose coming back either. I've had this feeling for a while that he was gonna leave. I think some team is gonna come in and offer him a huge deal like a Carl Crawford deal and the Mets won't overpay for him. I do think they'll make a competitive offer, though.

I don't know if Buehrle is staying with the White Sox, but I don't see him coming to the Mets. He's pretty old for a pitcher and is gonna want a lot of money and I don't think the Mets need a pitcher like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Young is back, although, I don't know if he'll be ready for spring training. But he pitched well when he was healthy and the Mets can probably grab him on a cheap contract.

I think Broxton is a real option that is definitely intriguing and I think he is the type of guy/pitcher Sandy is gonna look for. I like Bell, but he's gonna want a big contract and is a type A free agent, which means they'll have to surrender draft picks and I don't see the Mets doing that.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#15 » by NYman15 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:30 pm

"Right now, the buzz out of New York indicates the Mets, Giants and Phillies will eventually make the biggest push for Jose Reyes, who is said to be seeking a contract worth at least $100 million.

The way I understand it, having talked to people close to both sides: Sandy Alderson wants Reyes back, and Jose’s friends and family are encouraging him to re-sign. However, Sandy has concerns about allocating too much money and committing too many years to any one player (let alone someone who was injured twice last season and who might need to alter his game a bit to remain consistently healthy). At the same time, while Jose loves New York and the team’s fans and he wants to stay with the Mets, he has concerns about the direction of the franchise (and so he is dead-set on testing the open market and hearing from other teams (despite being encouraged by family and friends to sign an extension with the Mets at various points over the last year)."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/19/110643/

Very interesting article. The writers gives you an idea as to what might happen once free agency begins and what Sandy and the front office is thinking and what Reyes is thinking.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#16 » by NYman15 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm

"Here is a quick round-up of hot stove rumors from around MLB:

“The White Sox are expected to try to bring starting pitcher Mark Buehrle back on a two-year deal. … If he leaves, most would expect it to be for his hometown St. Louis Cardinals.” ~ Jon Heyman, SI.com
“Kelly Johnson is one of the winter’s most appealing free agent second basemen and Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos expects to discuss a possible deal with him.” ~ MLB Trade Rumors
“The Giants are expected to go hard for Carlos Beltran, who they obviously love.” ~ Jon Heyman, SI.com
41-year-old, free-agent LHP Darren Oliver would like to pitch one more season in the big leagues, Jon Morosi said on FOXSports.com.
According to MLB Trade Rumors, the list of catchers who could be non-tendered, and this become free agents or traded before that, include Jeff Mathis, Koyie Hill, Robby Hammock, Eli Whiteside, John Baker, Ronny Paulino, Jesus Flores, Rob Johnson, and Brayan Pena."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/19/rumo ... round-mlb/
NYman15
Veteran

Post#17 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:50 pm

It sounds like Yu Darvish is going to ask his team to put him up for bidding so he can pitch in the MLB next year.

"According to the Mainichi Daily News, 25-year-old Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish is expected to officially ask his team in Japan to put him up for bidding after their postseason, which will likely be in early November.

The team will likely grant his request, the News reports.

This season in Japan, Darvish is 18-6 in 28 starts with a 1.44 ERA and 276 strikeouts in 232 innings pitched. This is the fifth straight year in which he has had a sub-2.00 ERA."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/20/yu-d ... ch-in-usa/
treiz
RealGM

Post#18 » by treiz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Would love Reyes to stay, but I think for the benefit of both parties I think he has to leave.

I think we need to make a run at Darren Oliver if possible.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#19 » by NYman15 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:49 pm

I'd love for Reyes to stay as well, but I think he's gonna leave and if he leaves, I think it raises the possibility that David Wright will be traded as well and the Mets go into a complete rebuilding mode.

I'd love to see the Mets go after Darren Oliver. He's old for a pitcher, but he's a lefty and he's still a very reliable pitcher and would be a great veteran to have in the clubhouse.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#20 » by NYman15 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:28 pm

"According to MLB.com’s Scott Merkin, if the White Sox are intent on cutting a significant portion of their $127 million payroll, it’s likely either John Danks or Mark Buehrle will not return in 2012.

Earlier this week, Jon Heyman of SI.com said the White Sox would like to re-sign Buehrle to a two year deal and he could decide to take a discount to stay in Chicago. Otherwise, Heyman says he could sign with the Cardinals during the off-season"

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/22/whit ... uehrle-go/

Mark Buehrle is one of the older pitchers in baseball, but he still is one of the best pitchers on the market. He's a guy who could make some sense for the Mets, but everything I've heard says if he's not in Chicago, he'd probably go to St. Louis to play for the Cardinals as that's where he's from. So, I'm not sure he'd want to move from the midwest all the way to the east coast. So, I don't see him as a possibility as a Met.

Return to New York Mets