OT: New York Mets

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Re: OT: New York Mets 

Post#201 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:31 am

2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
2010 wrote:This is why as I said previously, I want to stay as far away from these two as possible. Only guy I'm trading Syndergaard or Wheeler for is Giancarlo Stanton.

2010, weren't you one of "them" who supported trading Thor for Tulo? Hmmm 2010? Tell the truth.

Nope. Go back and check the thread. I've consistently been saying I prefer to just keep our young guns: Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, Syndergaard, and Montero. I'd prefer to just sign Melky and trade our vets Niese/Gee for minor offensive parts. Keep Colon as short-term insurance.

Only guy I'd part with any of our young starters for is Giancarlo Stanton.

Forgive me for ever doubting you. As for you other folks, you know who are. Time to face the music.

Yeah. That's exactly the plan I subscribe to as well. And don't get me wrong, I'd love Stanton and would be willing to part with Thor or Wheeler as parts of a larger package for him, but he's a free agent in two years after this season and he'll demand major bucks. Prolly over $200 M to sign him. The Wilponzis won't or cant shell it out. So then We gave up all those assets for a two year rental. I don't know if that's worth it.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,222

Post#202 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:38 pm

2010 wrote:I missed the game so I'd like to know he he looked? Was he laboring or did he just make 3 mistakes that got jumped on and taken for a ride over the fence?

(Montero)

My thoughts - half and half. He got into too many 3-2 counts so there was more bad going on than just a few pitches getting jumped on. He had some good fastballs that fooled hitters, some of them after going 3-2, so there's some stuff to like, but he's a little too hittable at times. His stuff doesn't break that much either. He needs to work on that - now maybe he was trying to stay in the strike zone, or maybe his breaking stuff is "meh" which means he's probobly a relief pitcher.

He's absolutely worth another look. He was better than he was in April or whenever it was. He pitched with more confidence. I think he needs reps. Too soon to draw a conclusion pro or con. I do think he had enough good stuff going on to be interesting to another team via trade if that comes up.
Go NY Go NY Go
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,761

Post#203 » by Stannis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 am

2010 wrote:Haha, I just realized this is one big miscommunication. I'm talking about Wheeler and you're talking about Harvey LOL.

When you pointed up with the " ^^^ " and made your comment, I think you had thought my Harvey post was above you. But by the time you posted yours I had wrote a post about Wheeler. So when you said "shut him down" it made me think you wanted to shut Wheeler down. lol. Hence why I disagreed.

But yeah, Harvey should definitely be taking it easy and going the conservative route.
lol. you are exactly right. my bads. missed that wheeler post of yours.

HarthorneWingo wrote:Hey, I'd like a word with my fellow Mets fans who wanted to trade one or more of our prized young arms for either Cargo or Tulu. Next time maybe you'll listen to this Grey Ghost when he tells you not to trade off our pitching for these to Humpty Dumpties.

lol. Nice call.

I was kind of back and forth.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,761

Post#204 » by Stannis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:35 am

I didn't get to watch the game, but I heard Vic Black retired 3 in a row with bases loaded. Did he make the bases loaded, or did Niese load the bases and Black cleaned it up?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#205 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 am

Travis Knight wrote:I didn't get to watch the game, but I heard Vic Black retired 3 in a row with bases loaded. Did he make the bases loaded, or did Niese load the bases and Black cleaned it up?

I didn't see the game either. All I know is that there is None More Black than Vic.

Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,961

Post#206 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Nice pitching duel between Montero/Arrieta today, with the nod going to Arrieta. Montero probably had his best start of the year despite the balls.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#207 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Nice pitching duel between Montero/Arrieta today, with the nod going to Arrieta. Montero probably had his best start of the year despite the balls.

I see only 65 strikes in 102 pitches. Not good. But only 2 walks. That was the difference. Still, it seems like he doesn't trust his stuff yet.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I see only 65 strikes in 102 pitches. Not good. But only 2 walks. That was the difference. Still, it seems like he doesn't trust his stuff yet.

Yeah some counts went a little long, but he worked through them, much better than in previous starts. While it's not overwhelming, it does look like he's getting the hang of it little by little.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#209 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I see only 65 strikes in 102 pitches. Not good. But only 2 walks. That was the difference. Still, it seems like he doesn't trust his stuff yet.

Yeah some counts went a little long, but he worked through them, much better than in previous starts. While it's not overwhelming, it does look like he's getting the hang of it little by little.

We got spoiled by Harvey and deGrom. Wheeler and now Montero are taking a little longer to "get it." Wheeler seems to be turning a corner which is nice to see. He had me worried.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
We got spoiled by Harvey and deGrom. Wheeler and now Montero are taking a little longer to "get it." Wheeler seems to be turning a corner which is nice to see. He had me worried.

I wouldn't say we got spoiled, Harvey was MLB ready coming out of the draft just about, he had to work on his off speed stuff a little. deGrom making his debut at a later age has been giving the time to learn the nuances of the art of pitching a little longer. Montero didn't take baseball serious until a late age, so he's still learning. Wheeler was impressive at first, but didn't trust his stuff outside his fastball at first. However you knew that the talent was going to come around eventually.

Harvery/deGrom all came from the 2010 draft.
We signed Montero in January of 2011, as an international free agent.
The summer of 2011 we traded for Wheeler.
The winter of 2012 we traded for Thor.

It's funny how quickly we were able to put together a staff of such great young promising arms. Not to mention to be blessed with solid rotation guys in Colon, Niese and Gee.

Funny enough as I type this Castro goes yard, man I want this guy on the team.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#211 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I wouldn't say we got spoiled, Harvey was MLB ready coming out of the draft just about, he had to work on his off speed stuff a little. deGrom making his debut at a later age has been giving the time to learn the nuances of the art of pitching a little longer. Montero didn't take baseball serious until a late age, so he's still learning. Wheeler was impressive at first, but didn't trust his stuff outside his fastball at first. However you knew that the talent was going to come around eventually.

Harvery/deGrom all came from the 2010 draft.
We signed Montero in January of 2011, as an international free agent.
The summer of 2011 we traded for Wheeler.
The winter of 2012 we traded for Thor.

It's funny how quickly we were able to put together a staff of such great young promising arms. Not to mention to be blessed with solid rotation guys in Colon, Niese and Gee.

Funny enough as I type this Castro goes yard, man I want this guy on the team.

Did you see this? Would you trade Syndergaard straight up for Castro, Baez or Addison Russell, who the Cubbies got in the Jeff Samardzija trade with Oakland.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/8/17/6 ... -shortstop
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:21 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Did you see this? Would you trade Syndergaard straight up for Castro, Baez or Addison Russell, who the Cubbies got in the Jeff Samardzija trade with Oakland.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/8/17/6 ... -shortstop

I personally would, it takes a top flight arm to land a top flight prospect. Most have said it for quite some time, it's been beaten to death but the Cubs/Mets are perfect trading partners. It would be a shame if something wasn't there. Id trade to see who Theo believes is the cheapest of the three and work from there, trying to keep Thor at all cost but if not Id move him.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Mets