ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: New York Mets

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,943

OT: New York Mets 

Post#1 » by Stannis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Anyone watching them this season?

I'm getting a little more into baseball, and this team is pretty exciting and entertaining.

I'm enjoying it.

Top 10 pitching without Harvey. Wheeler is pretty gifted. He just needs a little more control so he can finish 7 innings. I'm not that much of a minor league follower, so deGrom came out of nowhere and is playing very well. I kept hearing about Harvey, Wheeler, and Syndergaard. Almost nothing of deGrom. Terry Collins says deGrom is right there with Wheeler and Harvey, and says deGrom gets a little overlooked b/c he doesn't have the velocity as those 2 and Syndergaard. Hopefully, deGrom keeps it up next year as well. Familia and Mejia are pretty decent relievers as well. And I am hearing good things about Syndergaard. I think they could have the top 3 pitching in baseball by next year or the year after that. Going to have to probably trade one of their top 3 starting pitchers for a good hitter though. Heck, I'm evening like Colon too. He's 41, but awesome. :D

Looks like Gee and Niese are the ones trying to keep up with Wheeler and deGrom. I was hoping they switched the rotation around during the all-star break. Maybe have Colon as the ace, then Wheeler, deGrom, Niese, Gee.

I'm more into pitching. Anyone know if they have some good batters coming into the ranks? Wright isn't having his typical season. Murphy and Duda are alright. And then they got a few batters with low batting percentages and don't really drive in that many runs like Granderson, Tejada, and Young. And Granderson and Young aren't on cheap deals either.

PS,

get your replies in before some annoying global mod moves this.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,967

Re: OT: New York Mets 

Post#2 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

It's the same annoying song and dance from the Mets. We have zero hitting, despite that we're doing a good job. Our pitching as usual is carrying us and at the moment our bats are hot. We'll finish right around 500 and Collins will get fired for not getting more out of this team.

All I want to do in my lifetime is to see the Mets with a competent outfield.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Stannis
RealGM

Post#3 » by Stannis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:It's the same annoying song and dance from the Mets. We have zero hitting, despite that we're doing a good job. Our pitching as usual is carrying us and at the moment our bats are hot. We'll finish right around 500 and Collins will get fired for not getting more out of this team.

You are probably a Mets guru compared to me. I'm a newbie, so help me out here. When was the last time the Mets had pitching this promising though? Santana and Rickey were good, but old. And, right now, the relief pitching looks better as well. And they don't even have Harvey right now. At this rate, the pitching is going to be so good in 2 years, they could probably afford to trade one of the pitchers for a good batter to help out on the offense.

You think Collins should get fired?
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 pm

Travis Knight wrote:You are probably a Mets guru compared to me. I'm a newbie, so help me out here. When was the last time the Mets had pitching this promising though? Santana and Rickey were good, but old. And, right now, the relief pitching looks better as well. And they don't even have Harvey right now. At this rate, the pitching is going to be so good in 2 years, they could probably afford to trade one of the pitchers for a good batter to help out on the offense.

You think Collins should get fired?

Hardly a Mets guru, find myself getting less interested in baseball each passing year. The last time the Mets had this much pitching promise was "Generation K" which ended up as the biggest blunder in all of baseball essentially. It gave a blueprint to all MLB teams how to handle their young pitching. Izzy/Wilson/Pulsipher were dubbed generation K and all failed as starters for varying reasons. Only Izzy went on to have a successful career as a closer. It's one of the most dubious things associated to the Mets. However the Mets and young arms have a tendency to go to crap as well as their outfield prospects from Milledge to Ochoa to Martinez to Tyner and so on and so on.

The Mets need hitting, they built a park for Reyes and let him walk. They might've found something with Duda at first but I'm just not big on a lot of guys on this roster.

Should Collins get fired? Absolutely not IMO, he's done an Amazin' job with the roster he's been handed. We haven't spent on hitting, pitching, the bullpen or power. Bay/Granderson talk about studs there.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Stannis
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stannis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Yea. Letting Reyes walk was dumb. Didn't even bother to trade him. So dumb.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Travis Knight wrote:Yea. Letting Reyes walk was dumb. Didn't even bother to trade him. So dumb.

In baseball more than anything, you don't pay that much money for a guy that relies on his legs as much as Reyes. Similar to the Ellsbury/Crawford contract, you can't give over a 100 million dollars to a guy that's one injury away from not being a special player. We're not talking about a fluke injury, Reyes could get a hamstring injury and essentially not be the same for half a season.

I hated letting Reyes walk, but at least I understood why we did it.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Stannis
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stannis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:I hated letting Reyes walk, but at least I understood why we did it.
Yea. I understand why they wouldn't want to keep him. Though I probably would have just given him the money. And I'm sure they would have if they didn't have Santana and Bay eating up that payroll. Mets could use him right now.

Nonetheless, it was just dumb to let him walk. They could just traded him before the trade deadline that year, and gotten at least least one decent piece for him. I just hate losing good players for absolutely nothing.
Free Palestine
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#8 » by knickabocker88 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:17 am

Sandy Alderson vs the Mets Fans

1) Crying over Stephen Drew all Spring Training, Stephen Drew got traded for a bag of balls to the Yankees. He's hitting .175 this year

2) Since Wheeler wasn't as good as Harvey (Harvey put this unrealistic expectation of what a 1st year pitcher should be), Y'all wanted him to be traded for an Outfielder. Look at Wheeler now, Every Start he's gaining more and more command of all his pitches

3) Duda vs Ike, I know who the Majority of Mets fans wanted

Mets got next for the next 3-5 years and this is coming from a Yankees fan, Just let Alderson do his job. The Big Bats are coming this off-season.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,648

Post#9 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:29 am

Manhattan Project wrote:It's the same annoying song and dance from the Mets. We have zero hitting, despite that we're doing a good job. Our pitching as usual is carrying us and at the moment our bats are hot. We'll finish right around 500 and Collins will get fired for not getting more out of this team.

The hitting has gotten better since Lamar replaced Hudgens. The core of Wright, Granderson, Duda and Murphy isn't bad. Now d'Arnaud is hitting pretty good since coming back from AAA.

If we can finish at or slightly above .500, I'll be very happy. Especially considering that Harvey is out all year. We're slowly narrowing the holes we need to fill. This off season we'll get a new SS and LF. How do the Cabreras sound? Asdrubel for SS and Melky in LF?

Btw, if we do finish .500, Collins will be back to start 2015. But if we get off to a slow start, then yes, I see him getting canned.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#10 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:30 am

knickabocker88 wrote:Sandy Alderson vs the Mets Fans

1) Crying over Stephen Drew all Spring Training, Stephen Drew got traded for a bag of balls to the Yankees. He's hitting .175 this year

2) Since Wheeler wasn't as good as Harvey (Harvey put this unrealistic expectation of what a 1st year pitcher should be), Y'all wanted him to be traded for an Outfielder. Look at Wheeler now, Every Start he's gaining more and more command of all his pitches

Mets got next for the next 3-5 years and this is coming from a Yankees fan, Just let Alderson do his job. The Big Bats are coming this off-season.

Agreed. Sandy is patient to a fault, but I like his non-moves so far. :lol: I'm glad he's not jumping to trade Thor, deGrom or Wheeler. They need to stay put.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stannis » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Agreed. Sandy is patient to a fault, but I like his non-moves so far. :lol: I'm glad he's not jumping to trade Thor, deGrom or Wheeler. They need to stay put.
Yea. I was reading the Met's message boards, and a lot of people are upset by the no moves.

What do they expect? Aside from their pitching and Murphy, they don't really have much to trade. Why trade the young pitchers now? It won't bring a batter that can lead the Mets to the playoffs. Offense is beyond one guy fixing the issue. And that will just leave holes in your pitching to fill again. Better to stay put. And if you need to trade for a hitter, you wait for a season or 2 when the pitchers' market value doubles.

And why trade Murphy? Trade a contact hitter for another hitter.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:44 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
The hitting has gotten better since Lamar replaced Hudgens. The core of Wright, Granderson, Duda and Murphy isn't bad. Now d'Arnaud is hitting pretty good since coming back from AAA.

If we can finish at or slightly above .500, I'll be very happy. Especially considering that Harvey is out all year. We're slowly narrowing the holes we need to fill. This off season we'll get a new SS and LF. How do the Cabreras sound? Asdrubel for SS and Melky in LF?

Btw, if we do finish .500, Collins will be back to start 2015. But if we get off to a slow start, then yes, I see him getting canned.

It's true the hitting has gotten gotten better, but the stats still ain't pretty. To be honest I really don't see Murphy or Granderson as core players at all. Granderson I didn't like the signing at all, still don't. d'Arnaud really don't matter because I like the way he calls the game and catchers can't hit anymore regardless.

Just taking a quick look at the possible free agents, I think we might be busy at the winter meetings. Id love to get Melky, I don't give a damn that he did steroids at all. With that being said the age old question since Madoff though, can we afford him? The owners and Sandy say one thing, yet we're selling Mr Met to children's parties. Asdrubel Id pass on, he already looks like a shell of his former self.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:47 am

knickabocker88 wrote:Sandy Alderson vs the Mets Fans

Seeing on how I don't the majority of Met fans opinions, I don't listen to the Fan nor read Met message boards I'll chime in my personal opinion.

- Never wanted Drew nor his brother back in the day. Entitled and pompous they always came across.
- Wheeler looked awesome for his rookie year, Id trade him for a OF right now. Not because I don't think he will be good, I think he's gonna be a great two. It's because we don't have jack to trade. Granted Id push for Montero to be traded over Wheeler.
- Ike was perplexing due to that second half, but he had to go. He welcomed his stay, but I did like that glove.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#14 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:27 am

Hope david wright can find him self and get back to at least last years wright. I known his 30/30 days are long gone. But him hitting like David wright the best 3rd basemen in the NL would make this crappy team compete for the wildcard

I doubt they sign him but they should ty and sign one of new Cuban players that defected rusney Castillo. They compare him to Brett Gardner with more pop. That way we get a good bat and sandy gets to continue to hoard all his precious prospects

Most of the players comming over have worked and been really good players (abreu, cesapdes, puig)

But with the mets luck we would probably sign the one bust
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#15 » by Jose7 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:45 am

Wright needs to get his stuff together...
Collins must go...
Flores needs to play more...
Kirk should be the everyday LFer...
That 7/8/9 Black, Familia, and Mejia has been a beauty.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#16 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:57 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

It's true the hitting has gotten gotten better, but the stats still ain't pretty. To be honest I really don't see Murphy or Granderson as core players at all. Granderson I didn't like the signing at all, still don't. d'Arnaud really don't matter because I like the way he calls the game and catchers can't hit anymore regardless.

Just taking a quick look at the possible free agents, I think we might be busy at the winter meetings. Id love to get Melky, I don't give a damn that he did steroids at all. With that being said the age old question since Madoff though, can we afford him? The owners and Sandy say one thing, yet we're selling Mr Met to children's parties. Asdrubel Id pass on, he already looks like a shell of his former self.

While the stats may not be pretty, hitting across the league is now down significantly. But I agree, we need more hitting. By including Murphy in our "core" I meant right now. I'm not opposed to trading him with Dilson Herrera moving up quickly, but I wouldn't go crazy if we signed him to a 3 or 4 year extension at around $10-12 a year. That's still a movable asset. Yeah, sometimes you wanna kill him for some of his fielding f-ups, but I can live with them for now given his hitting. I wasn't very happy with the Granderson signing either. I would've preferred Byrd and Nelson Cruz (along with Jose Abreu at 1B - but I can relax about that now that Duda is starting to put it together).

I disagree with you about d'Arnaud though. Every bat in the line-up counts. If he can continue to develop as a hitter and be the hitter that almost all the scouts forecast him to be, we're looking at 15-20 HRs, 75-90 RBIs and .275 per year to go along with that defense/catching.

JJ Hardy, Jed Lowrie will be FAs. And Arizona and/or Chicago will have SSs to trade. Should be fun. We deserve it. If the Wilponzis don't spend money this off-season - or pull of a major trade - Mets fans will be irate.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#17 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:59 am

Jose7© wrote:Wright needs to get his stuff together...
Collins must go...

I heard that Wright's shoulder is bothering him and that he may need surgery after the season.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#18 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:01 am

Travis Knight wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Yea. I was reading the Met's message boards, and a lot of people are upset by the no moves.

What do they expect? Aside from their pitching and Murphy, they don't really have much to trade. Why trade the young pitchers now? It won't bring a batter that can lead the Mets to the playoffs. Offense is beyond one guy fixing the issue. And that will just leave holes in your pitching to fill again. Better to stay put. And if you need to trade for a hitter, you wait for a season or 2 when the pitchers' market value doubles.

And why trade Murphy? Trade a contact hitter for another hitter.

Which Mets boards do you go on? I'm on AmazinAvenue for game threads and then AA and Metsblog for everyday news.

Btw Travis, thanks for putting up this thread. Gives us something to do. :D
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#19 » by Stannis » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:02 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jose7© wrote:Wright needs to get his stuff together...
Collins must go...

I heard that Wright's shoulder is bothering him and that he may need surgery after the season.

If that's the case.... He should go ahead and get the surgery now, so he's good and healthy next season when there is a much more realistic chance of making the playoffs. No need for him to put more wear and tear on his shoulder for a rebuild season. Need him good and strong next season with Harvey's return.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:02 am

Id go hard after Starlin Castro, figure he's the odd man out there with Russell in town now. He got the type of talent that we haven't had in quite some time. As far as Travis, he certainly isn't living up to the billing that we thought he would be but catchers usually take forever to put it together unless your one of those elites. Hell something I would settle for is more of a patient eye, he barely works any walks.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Mets