Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,932

Re: OT: New York Mets 

Post#161 » by Jeffrey » Sat Aug 9, 2014 3:38 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Yeah, hopefully he can show something this time up. He's got to cut down on his strikeouts.

This is pretty much his spring training for 2015. If he shows nothing, then the Mets will make a move this offseason to add more offense.

I don't see how the Mets can tell their fans to wait until mid 2015/start 2016 for Nimmo and Conforto. Even so, both of those guys are top of the lineup hitters. This team needs to add another big bat.

Let's say den Dekker ends up hitting/playing well in his time up here, don't you think the Mets have to go out and get a slugger for LF? Unless maybe we get a strong hitting SS. But those are two positions we definitely have to improve, though LF more so IMO (I don't hate Tejada as much as others do). Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see us solve our LF problem internally through our farm system. I hope MDD succeeds.

If MDD hits well, Sandy Alderson will have a real tough place with the Mets and their fans. If he decides to hold LF for MDD, Conforto (not far away from the majors), or Nimmo then he needs to justify with a huge splash this coming offseason at 3B.

If you look at this coming winter's FA, there isn't a whole lot. Maybe 10-15 years ago, there would be All-Stars available for big market teams to sign. A lot of mid-market teams are signing their homegrown players early to avoid arbitration. You're not going to see ARod, Griffey, or even Mike Mussina out in FAs.

Hanley Ramirez - what do you think he will get on the market? Probably north of 20 million dollars?
Melky Cabrera - Not a big time power hitter
Nelson Cruz - he asked for 12 million last year, after exploding in the first half. He might get more than 15 million now and he is 33 years old. Problem is that he plays RF.

Probably will have to look at the trade market to get what you want. Rumors about Tulowitzki will always be there until he gets traded. The Mets are actually great trade partners for teams like Colorado. Here is something to ponder, going forward.. Tulo is going to make 6 years 114 million dollars guaranteed with 7th year being an option year from the ages 30-36 years old. For a power hitting SS, that is a real bargain even if he hits .270/.349/.469 with 20+ HRs 100+ RBIs. Problem is that he is injury prone. Not Jose Reyes but pretty damn close.

Maybe Toronto is looking to trade Jose Reyes in the near future... still injury prone. 3 years 66 million left on his contract and the Mets need a leadoff hitter.

The Mets really missed the boat on Jose Abreu and Nelson Cruz. Yes, I know we have Duda now but Abreu is a special player at the start of his prime for 7 million dollars. Cruz only made 8 million. It would probably fixed all of our problems with power within one offseason. We probably wouldn't even think about trading our prospects for Tulo and just sign an average leadoff hitter.

And now the Mets are back on the Cuba gravy train because another Cuban star (NOT AS GOOD as Puig, Abreu or even Cespedes) and they might have to overspend for him now.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#162 » by TheProfessor » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 am

If you want reyes you can have him... if you eat all(majority) of salary. Great personality, good hitter but so god awful at ss, litterally cost us 5 games h his crappy ass fielding
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#163 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:08 pm

TheProfessor wrote:If you want reyes you can have him... if you eat all(majority) of salary. Great personality, good hitter but so god awful at ss, litterally cost us 5 games h his crappy ass fielding

Really

Haven't kept up with him since we let him go, but I remember him being a good to great fielder
mrcalzone
Veteran
And1: 2,910

Post#164 » by mrcalzone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:19 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:If you want reyes you can have him... if you eat all(majority) of salary. Great personality, good hitter but so god awful at ss, litterally cost us 5 games h his crappy ass fielding

Really

Haven't kept up with him since we let him go, but I remember him being a good to great fielder

He makes difficult plays look easy and easy plays look difficult
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Post#165 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
This is pretty much his spring training for 2015. If he shows nothing, then the Mets will make a move this offseason to add more offense.

I don't see how the Mets can tell their fans to wait until mid 2015/start 2016 for Nimmo and Conforto. Even so, both of those guys are top of the lineup hitters. This team needs to add another big bat.

Let's say den Dekker ends up hitting/playing well in his time up here, don't you think the Mets have to go out and get a slugger for LF? Unless maybe we get a strong hitting SS. But those are two positions we definitely have to improve, though LF more so IMO (I don't hate Tejada as much as others do). Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see us solve our LF problem internally through our farm system. I hope MDD succeeds.

If MDD hits well, Sandy Alderson will have a real tough place with the Mets and their fans. If he decides to hold LF for MDD, Conforto (not far away from the majors), or Nimmo then he needs to justify with a huge splash this coming offseason at 3B.

If you look at this coming winter's FA, there isn't a whole lot. Maybe 10-15 years ago, there would be All-Stars available for big market teams to sign. A lot of mid-market teams are signing their homegrown players early to avoid arbitration. You're not going to see ARod, Griffey, or even Mike Mussina out in FAs.

Hanley Ramirez - what do you think he will get on the market? Probably north of 20 million dollars?
Melky Cabrera - Not a big time power hitter
Nelson Cruz - he asked for 12 million last year, after exploding in the first half. He might get more than 15 million now and he is 33 years old. Problem is that he plays RF.

Probably will have to look at the trade market to get what you want. Rumors about Tulowitzki will always be there until he gets traded. The Mets are actually great trade partners for teams like Colorado. Here is something to ponder, going forward.. Tulo is going to make 6 years 114 million dollars guaranteed with 7th year being an option year from the ages 30-36 years old. For a power hitting SS, that is a real bargain even if he hits .270/.349/.469 with 20+ HRs 100+ RBIs. Problem is that he is injury prone. Not Jose Reyes but pretty damn close.

Maybe Toronto is looking to trade Jose Reyes in the near future... still injury prone. 3 years 66 million left on his contract and the Mets need a leadoff hitter.

The Mets really missed the boat on Jose Abreu and Nelson Cruz. Yes, I know we have Duda now but Abreu is a special player at the start of his prime for 7 million dollars. Cruz only made 8 million. It would probably fixed all of our problems with power within one offseason. We probably wouldn't even think about trading our prospects for Tulo and just sign an average leadoff hitter.

And now the Mets are back on the Cuba gravy train because another Cuban star (NOT AS GOOD as Puig, Abreu or even Cespedes) and they might have to overspend for him now.

Yes, you're absolutely right about the FA and the lack of big stars being made available. Hopefully, we can fix LF either internally or with a smart signing.

I agree, I also think Hanley will get over $20M/year. The Yankees will be looking for a SS, so ...

I also agree that we really missed out on Cruz and Abreu, though Duda - much to my surprise - looks like he could be the real deal. We could still make a run at Cruz this off season but this time we're going to have to pay whereas this past season we might have gotten him for $10-12/year or maybe on a 2 year deal.

I'm not for bringing back Jose. He's too injury prone and IMO costs too much for the production we'd get from him. But if Toronto is willing to eat some of his contract ... ?

Are we actually players for that Cuban OF/SS? I haven't read anything on Metsblog or AmazinAvenue on him recently.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,226

Post#166 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:46 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are we actually players for that Cuban OF/SS? I haven't read anything on Metsblog or AmazinAvenue on him recently.

Rusney Castillo? I've read he's not a SS, he's really an OF/2B and based on the article, 2nd base might be a stretch. The Yanks and Dodgers are both considering him, and I think, several teams are interested. The mets might not need an OF long term and are probobly set at 2nd, so I doubt we're strong contenders for him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internat ... -castillo/
Go NY Go NY Go
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#167 » by Jeffrey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Yes, you're absolutely right about the FA and the lack of big stars being made available. Hopefully, we can fix LF either internally or with a smart signing.

I agree, I also think Hanley will get over $20M/year. The Yankees will be looking for a SS, so ...

I also agree that we really missed out on Cruz and Abreu, though Duda - much to my surprise - looks like he could be the real deal. We could still make a run at Cruz this off season but this time we're going to have to pay whereas this past season we might have gotten him for $10-12/year or maybe on a 2 year deal.

I'm not for bringing back Jose. He's too injury prone and IMO costs too much for the production we'd get from him. But if Toronto is willing to eat some of his contract ... ?

It's not so much about getting Hanley Ramirez but more of understanding how undervalue tulo's contract is and at his age. If the Mets feel that Harvey is himself for 2015 and the rotation that we have... maybe it is time to roll the dice.

Shortstops' contracts starting 2015
Reyes - 3 years 66 million (31 - 34 years old)
Tulowitzki - 6 years 114 million (30 - 36 years old)
Ramirez - 20 million+ per year projected

Comparing all 3 SS... tulowitzki's contract is undervalued which is why Colorado will ask for multiple top prospects (Syndergard, Plawecki, Montero). Are you willing to trade the MLB ready prospects for an elite SS?

Speaking of Luda, he still needs to learn how to hit lefties. His numbers are good and he can finally relax without anyone looking behind him. I hope he does very well because we might have a cheap 1Bman for a couple of years.

I truly believe SA did a wonderful job with the farm system. It is a miracle that we have players developing at each level and they have more or less took step(s) forward. There were a few things I wish he did and that was to trade Jose Reyes at deadline, sign Cruz instead of Chris Young, and go hard after Jose Abreu (wouldn't have to lose a damn draft pick).
TheProfessor
Starter

Post#168 » by TheProfessor » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 pm

mrcalzone wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:

Really

He has zero range anymore....and without Lawrie at 3rd he looks worse and to top it all off, he gets lazy and doesnt follow his throw causing the all too occasional throwing errors. No idea why we dont try him at second. I reiterate you take 90% of his salary, you package a b-prospect. You can have him....
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#169 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 am

TheProfessor wrote:
mrcalzone wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Really

He has zero range anymore....and without Lawrie at 3rd he looks worse and to top it all off, he gets lazy and doesnt follow his throw causing the all too occasional throwing errors. No idea why we dont try him at second. I reiterate you take 90% of his salary, you package a b-prospect. You can have him....

No thanks. Last thing we need is to be investing in aging, injury-prone talent making close to or over $20M/year and whose best years are for the most part behind them.

Call me crazy,, but I really don't want Tulowitski either if it means trading either deGrom, Wheeler or Syndergaard. Wheeler I might consider, but I'd still probably pass. The guy (Tulo) is so injury prone and then there's the home/away splits (tho he's as bad a Gargo) which scare me, as a Mets fan. Maybe we can just sign Lowrie or Hardy or make a trade for Castro or Diaz from the Cubs without giving up those three.
Free Palestine
TheProfessor
Starter

Post#170 » by TheProfessor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:24 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
mrcalzone wrote:

No thanks. Last thing we need is to be investing in aging, injury-prone talent making close to or over $20M/year and whose best years are for the most part behind them.

Call me crazy,, but I really don't want Tulowitski either if it means trading either deGrom, Wheeler or Syndergaard. Wheeler I might consider, but I'd still probably pass. The guy (Tulo) is so injury prone and then there's the home/away splits (tho he's as bad a Gargo) which scare me, as a Mets fan. Maybe we can just sign Lowrie or Hardy or make a trade for Castro or Diaz from the Cubs without giving up those three.

Tulo is on a bargin contract, the way free agency is going it looks like a WAR is at 8-10m. Tulo at 116m/6 would have to up about 13WARs over his 6 seasons, to get even value. Thats about 2ish WAR per season, while playing 91 games this season he has a war of 5 and has averaged a war of 5 in 5 of the last 6 season. If Tulo wasnt injury prone and better splits on the road, COL would be asking for Wheeler and Harvey and duda and they would be justified. Probably now Wheeler and deGrom or Duda get it done.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#171 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 am

Is there any chance Tulo will turn into a Jason Bay if he comes to the Mets? Even if it's a 0.0001 percent chance. I will pass.

Mets should hold onto their 5 potential ace quality pitchers. If they can always pitch a shutout, Mets will hardly lose. :D

Anyway:

Jacob deGrom has a sore right shoulder, he will travel to New York for an exam Monday and will miss his next scheduled start, Tuesday, assistant GM John Ricco told reporters in Philadelphia.

“I’m calm about it,” deGrom said (ESPN, Aug. 10). “I don’t think it’s anything serious. I can probably go out there and pitch with it right now, but I think, just talking to them, at this time of the year, it’s not really worth pushing it.”

DeGrom said he first felt sore the day after his last start, then again Saturday while throwing on flat ground.

Carlos Torres(ESPN, Aug. 10), Noah Syndergaard and Rafeal Montero (Puma, Aug. 10) could all be possible spot starters, depending on how much time deGrom will miss.

According to Ricco, deGrom likely would have needed to skip a start at some point soon anyway, since he is quickly approaching his innings limit for the year, which Sandy Alderson has said will be some place around 180-185 innings.

DeGrom is 6-5 with a 2.87 ERA in 16 starts for the Mets this season.

Possible Syndergaard or Montero apperance soon? Can't wait.

Mets closer Jenrry Mejia has a hernia, but wants to wait until after the season for surgery (Rubin, Aug. 10).

Doctors have told Terry Collins and the Mets that Mejia can continue pitching without further injuring himself. Mejia said he’s been feeling the pain for about three weeks now.

Mejia blew the save in Saturday’s 7-6 loss to the Phillies giving up three hits and two runs. On the season, he has 17 saves and a 3.68 ERA.

Collins said the team is going to have to monitor him day-to-day to see how he feels.

If Mejia can’t close, Jeurys Familia would be the logical choice to see action in the ninth inning.
Honestly, I think Familia has MUCH more potential as a closer than Mejia. I like Mejia, but he throws too many hangers imo.

Familia is one day older though. So he has the advantage.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#172 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Jacob deGrom to DL, Rafael Montero to start Tuesday

Jacob deGrom will go on the disabled list with rotator cuff tendinitis, Assistant GM John Ricco announced.

Ricco said it was “good news” on deGrom, who will rest before pitching again. He’ll also be prescribed anti-inflammatory medication.

Rafael Montero will be called up from Triple-A to start on Tuesday against the Nationals.

Montero was just named the Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week for August 4-10 with Triple-A Las Vegas (MiLB.com, August 11).

Montero earned the honor with his scoreless outing on August 5. He struck out 11 batters over eight innings, allowing only one hit, against Sacramento. This is the second time Montero has been minor league pitcher of the week at any level. His other such award was in 2012 with the St. Lucie Mets.

Montero was 0-2 with a 5.40 ERA, including 17 strike outs in 20 innings, spanning four starts earlier this season for the Mets
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#173 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Jeremy Hefner. :cry:

I guess we won't be trading any of our "excess" pitching away any time soon.
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#174 » by 2010 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:33 am

Me thinks the injury scare to deGrom may be a blessing in disguise. It'll force us to take a more conservative approach with his innings for the rest of the season and it also allowed us the opportunity to get another look at Montero.

I'm still holding out hope we'll see Syndergaard up before the season ends. Even if it's just one damn start. But knowing the Mets, they won't.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#175 » by Jeffrey » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 am

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/curveball-has-made-mets-prospect-steven-matz-even-better-1.8950765

I have him as my no.8 prospect. Steven Matz has a killer fastball and HE IS A LEFTY. He is a local kid who had 2 Tommy Johns but he has been injury free the last couple of years and you can see why the Mets like him a lot. His curveball is now a plus pitch and thats a huge step for pitchers. To be a frontline starter you need 3 pitches that you can consistently get strikes with, especially a 3rd strike. He always had that fastball and it cracks the catcher's mitt, the changeup he says he is good with it. Now there is report that he is using his curveball to whiff batters.

Add him to a lonnnnnng list of pitchers that will need a damn roster spot. Yes, I'm in tears. :o

His repertoire right now is

++ fastball
+ changeup
+ curveball

Watch his Youtube video, go to the :50 mark and you can see his fastball in action.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOid_89MA4E[/youtube]
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#176 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 am

Montero doesn't pitch inside enough for my liking.
He has plus stuff and good presence (for a small man) on the mound but he's not ready yet.
No need to rush these guys.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#177 » by Jeffrey » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 am

2010 wrote:Me thinks the injury scare to deGrom may be a blessing in disguise. It'll force us to take a more conservative approach with his innings for the rest of the season and it also allowed us the opportunity to get another look at Montero.

I'm still holding out hope we'll see Syndergaard up before the season ends. Even if it's just one damn start. But knowing the Mets, they won't.

I don't see the Mets bringing him up for a couple of starts. He is at a innings limit and its coming soon. He didn't light up AAA but who does in Vegas? He still needs to locate the ball better and I do hope he just stays in Vegas for the rest of the year.

Montero OTOH, has more feel of the game even though he doesn't have the overpowering stuff. He understands to mix things up which is what you need in the majors.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#178 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:22 am

2010 wrote:Me thinks the injury scare to deGrom may be a blessing in disguise. It'll force us to take a more conservative approach with his innings for the rest of the season and it also allowed us the opportunity to get another look at Montero.

I also don't want the teams scouting deGrom any further. They still can't figure him out, and I want to keep it that way next season (when the Mets will make a legitimate push for the playoffs).
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#179 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:45 am

Jeffrey wrote:http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/curveball-has-made-mets-prospect-steven-matz-even-better-1.8950765

I have him as my no.8 prospect. Steven Matz has a killer fastball and HE IS A LEFTY. He is a local kid who had 2 Tommy Johns but he has been injury free the last couple of years and you can see why the Mets like him a lot. His curveball is now a plus pitch and thats a huge step for pitchers. To be a frontline starter you need 3 pitches that you can consistently get strikes with, especially a 3rd strike. He always had that fastball and it cracks the catcher's mitt, the changeup he says he is good with it. Now there is report that he is using his curveball to whiff batters.

Add him to a lonnnnnng list of pitchers that will need a damn roster spot. Yes, I'm in tears. :o

His repertoire right now is

++ fastball
+ changeup
+ curveball

Watch his Youtube video, go to the :50 mark and you can see his fastball in action.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOid_89MA4E[/youtube]

Didn't Warthen recently compare Matz to Clayton Kershaw? That's setting the bar pretty high. So is he trade bait or, given the multiple injuries to our pitching staff over the past year, do we keep him around "just in case"?

Couldn't tell for sure, but it seemed like Matz threw two fastballs. One that was either a two seamer or cutter and the other which had some tailing movement. Maybe it was the change-up which was tailing. In any event, his stuff was impressive.

Also, I can't seem to tell if we're, at only 5 games out of the WC, in it or not in it. If we're in it, then why are we playing Flores at SS? He clearly can't play the position and while Tejada is not as good as Wilmer offensively, he at least has shown he's steady at the position which is important since our team's main strength is it's pitching. If we're not in it, why the hell not? Doesn't anybody in Citi Field remember 2007 and 2008 for crying out loud?
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#180 » by 2010 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:21 am

Jeffrey wrote:

I don't see the Mets bringing him up for a couple of starts. He is at a innings limit and its coming soon. He didn't light up AAA but who does in Vegas? He still needs to locate the ball better and I do hope he just stays in Vegas for the rest of the year.

Montero OTOH, has more feel of the game even though he doesn't have the overpowering stuff. He understands to mix things up which is what you need in the majors.

Yeah, I hear you. But the selfish part of me just wants to see Syndergaard get at least one start up here.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter

Return to New York Mets