ImageImageImageImageImage

Montero Traded for Pineda

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Re: Montero Traded for Pineda 

Post#21 » by djsunyc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:02 am

and montero is established after 1 month of big league action? yanks have been trying to deal him forever. they felt this was the time to do it and they did.

this is potential for potential. there's no way to tell who's gonna be the better player but if pineda plays well for us and helps us win, then what montero does in seattle means nothing to us.

we have surplus pitching. and alot of them are young and cheap. maybe we have a deal lined up for a young bat in the OF like mccutchen. you never know. there's more to come. stay tuned...
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#22 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:03 am

i dont mind trading potential for potential

at least make sure he doesnt have a balky elbow
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#23 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:11 am

Pharmcat wrote:
moocow007 wrote:If the need is for a power bat, all the Yanks need is to offer up some cash for one of the two Cubans.

is fielder cuban?

:dontknow:

:lol: I wish.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:14 am

Pharmcat wrote:i dont mind trading potential for potential

at least make sure he doesnt have a balky elbow

This is really a wait and see move. Pineda is considered to have phenom pitching skills. Montero is considered to have phenom hitting skills. Both guys come with risks and both guys has the potential to turn into studs. No reason to panic now and cry gloom and doom is the bottom line. Yes obviously I too would have loved to keep Montero but you can't get a guy with Pineda's potential and potency for B rate prospects.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 am

Jason Stark did mention something just a little while ago about this deal...he said that the Yankees have basically gone from not having enough starting pitchers to now having too many and that he would not be surprised at all if the Yankees turn around and trade one of their starters (Phil Hughes was mentioned). Hughes, while having an up and down year, could potentially get the Yankees something valuable in exchange...especially when you consider that he's still making pocket change and the overall lack of starting pitching around the league. One possibility is to the trade Hughes for more depth in the high minors. Considering the type of real nice prospects teams have gotten for starting pitchers right in the Hughes skill range, the Yanks could add some nice pieces.
Christophersp10
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#26 » by Christophersp10 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:23 am

moocow007 wrote:Jason Stark did mention something just a little while ago about this deal...he said that the Yankees have basically gone from not having enough starting pitchers to now having too many and that he would not be surprised at all if the Yankees turn around and trade one of their starters (Phil Hughes was mentioned). Hughes, while having an up and down year, could potentially get the Yankees something valuable in exchange...especially when you consider that he's still making pocket change and the overall lack of starting pitching around the league. One possibility is to the Reds who could use a young starting pitcher and have a plethora of power bats in their system.

Do you trade Hughes when his stock is at an all time low?
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#27 » by Relentless88 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:25 am

It must be great to be a fan of a team with a bottomless pit of money. :(

Great trade for the Yanks.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:26 am

Christophersp10 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Jason Stark did mention something just a little while ago about this deal...he said that the Yankees have basically gone from not having enough starting pitchers to now having too many and that he would not be surprised at all if the Yankees turn around and trade one of their starters (Phil Hughes was mentioned). Hughes, while having an up and down year, could potentially get the Yankees something valuable in exchange...especially when you consider that he's still making pocket change and the overall lack of starting pitching around the league. One possibility is to the Reds who could use a young starting pitcher and have a plethora of power bats in their system.

Do you trade Hughes when his stock is at an all time low?

Hard to say. Sure Hughes has a terrible season but we're talking about a guy that went 18-8 the year before last.
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#29 » by Christophersp10 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 am

moocow007 wrote:Talk now is that the Yankees will now look to possibly sign Carlos Pena to be the opening day DH.

make him part of a platoon with Andruw Jones.

probably has already been mentioned. If I am the Yankees, I go after Carlos Pena to be the backup 1b and parttime DH.

Carlos had 21 hrs and a .900 ops against right handed pitching.

Andruw Jones had 8 HR's and a .920 ops against left handed pitching.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:29 am

Relentless88 wrote:It must be great to be a fan of a team with a bottomless pit of money. :(

It is but why would the bottomless pit of money matter here? Both Montero and Pineda are under contract and going to be paid pocket change for years and years to come.

Are you talking about the Kuroda signing? That signing is still just for one season which fits perfectly since it appears that the Yankees are going to be saving their lunch money to make a run at one of the ace type starting pitchers that will be FA's after this upcoming season.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:31 am

Christophersp10 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Talk now is that the Yankees will now look to possibly sign Carlos Pena to be the opening day DH.

probably has already been mentioned. If I am the Yankees, I go after Carlos Pena to be the backup 1b and parttime DH.

They could but I think if they go after him it'll be with the idea that he'll be the full time DH, since there's several teams that appear to be interested. I'd imagine a repeat of what he made last season, something like 1 year $10 million. It'll allow the Yankees to keep their options open (i.e. possibly ARod moving to DH full time if he continues to have health issues as soon as the 2013 season) while allowing Pena to make more next season than he'll likely get from anyone else in any multi-year deal.
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#32 » by Christophersp10 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:31 am

If the Yankees have a bottomless pit of money, we are going to hear that Prince Fielder is signing with the Yankees.
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#33 » by Christophersp10 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:34 am

moocow007 wrote:
Christophersp10 wrote:

They could but I think if they go after him it'll be with the idea that he'll be the full time DH, since there's several teams that appear to be interested. I'd imagine a repeat of what he made last season, something like 1 year $10 million. It'll allow the Yankees to keep their options open (i.e. possibly ARod moving to DH full time if he continues to have health issues as soon as the 2013 season) while allowing Pena to make more next season than he'll likely get from anyone else in any multi-year deal.

I couldn't promise Carlos full time DH. He sucks against lefties. Batted .133 with an ops of less than 600. Even he knows he sucks against Lefties and would be putting his team at a disadvantage.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 am

^^^Yeah true. If David Ortiz only held out a little while longer, it would have been hilarious to sign him for one season to DH. :D
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:59 am

BTW...here's a look at some of the potential top FA's in 2013 according to Buster Olney:

Cole Hamels
Josh Hamilton
Matt Cain
Mike Napoli
Andre Eithier
Zack Greinke
Michael Bourn
Howie Kendrick
BJ Upton

Of that list I would expect the Yanks to go hard and heavy at Cole Hamels and Matt Cain.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:05 am

Here's another blurb about Campos:

Many see Campos as a younger edition of Pineda. He is imposing physically at 6-foot-4, 195 pounds. He throws a very reliable, high-velocity fastball. While Campos lacks the experience and polish of Pineda, he is only 19. Pitching for Class A Everett last season, Campos went 5-5 and yielded just 66 hits in 81 innings, walking just 13 while fanning 85 for a stunning 0.97 WHIP. Scouts are very bullish about Campos, and it's a bit surprising he was included along with Pineda in the deal for Montero.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120113&content_id=26344974&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#37 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:42 am

so are you guys fine with this deal?

my enticement for montero may be clouding my judgement lol :/
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:58 am

Pharmcat wrote:so are you guys fine with this deal?

my enticement for montero may be clouding my judgement lol :/

We won't know until either or both does or doesn't live up to their expectations. If both do, I love it cause Pineda projects as an elite ace while Montero projects to an elite DH.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#39 » by Relentless88 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:20 am

moocow007 wrote:
Relentless88 wrote:It must be great to be a fan of a team with a bottomless pit of money. :(

It is but why would the bottomless pit of money matter here? Both Montero and Pineda are under contract and going to be paid pocket change for years and years to come.

Are you talking about the Kuroda signing? That signing is still just for one season which fits perfectly since it appears that the Yankees are going to be saving their lunch money to make a run at one of the ace type starting pitchers that will be FA's after this upcoming season.

I was talking about Kuroda, but my statement really doesn't apply to these 2 deals.

I don't know how Yankee fans can be upset about this deal. A DH prospect for one of the top young arms in the AL? No brainer, and Cashman got it right.

CC
Pineda
Cain/Hamels/Greinke
Nova
Burnett

That's probably the rotation in 2013, right? Might even be 2 of Cain/Hamels/Greinke. :(
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#40 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:27 am

Montero couldn't play 1B or catch. While I wished we could keep him, I like this kid Pineda better than King Fatso who can't lay off the first pitch heater and gets shelled against top teams. Pitching will rape your payroll and remember new lux tax calls for 40% Salary.

Return to New York Yankees