WTF???????
Dat Leadership
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Re: Montero Traded for Pineda 

Post#2 » by HCYanks » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:14 am

It's being confirmed in multiple places. The Yankees are also apparently sending Hector Noesi and getting back Jose Campos.

It sucks losing Jesus but they kind of have to do this deal. Pineda's a young, cost controlled starter who had a great rookie year and can immediately come be the #2. I have to think Jack Z could've gotten more value from somebody...
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by HCYanks » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:41 am

The Yankees are also landing Kuroda on a one-year deal. Wow. The rotation went from very shaky to legit in the span of a couple hours.

CC/Pineda/Kuroda/Nova/Garcia

And they could try to shop Hughes to pick up a DH as well as send AJ Burnett on a raft out into the Atlantic.
number15
Banned User
And1: 43

Post#4 » by number15 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 am

HCYanks wrote:CC/Pineda/Kuroda/Nova/Garcia

I think I speak for the rest of the AL EAST... that is one GOOD rotation... Scary stuff

as for the deal, Seattle got raped.... Montero is over rated. They traded a potential #1 pitcher for a DH basically. Jesus is not good enough to catch in the MLB.

As a Jays fan i feel bad cause Montero is no different from a guy like JP Arencibia but he got so OVER hyped.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,111

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:18 am

It's hard to lose Montero who has the potential to turn out to be one nasty hitter but with pitching at a premium these days it's kinda hard to turn down a young 23 year old 6'6" 250lb starter who can not only hit triple digits on his fastball but also has a nasty slider.

I'm excited. Welcome to the Yanks Michael!!!

The added benefit really is that Pineda has the stuff and temperament to potentially be a scary closer as well.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#6 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 am

moocow007 wrote:It's hard to lose Montero who has the potential to turn out to be one nasty hitter but with pitching at a premium these days it's kinda hard to turn down a young 23 year old 6'6" 250lb starter who can not only hit triple digits on his fastball but also has a nasty slider.

I'm excited. Welcome to the Yanks Michael!!!

The added benefit really is that Pineda has the stuff and temperament to potentially be a scary closer as well.

And he's actually slightly bigger, 6'7" 260.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 am

Oh and of course, welcome Mr. Kuroda!!!

Kuroda's should be a workhorse. Throws strikes, doesn't walk people and supposedly is a very competitive individual...not a pussy amphibian like someone else we know.

Was 13-16 last season with a 3.07 ERA, 161 SO's to to just 49 BB in 202 innings...a career WHIP of 1.19

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:32 am

Talk now is that the Yankees will now look to possibly sign Carlos Pena to be the opening day DH.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:46 am

Also tough to lose Noesi but at least they are getting a young pitching prospect back in Jose Campos, a 6'4" 195lb 19 year old, a high upside power pitcher that was ranked as a top 20 prospect in the Mariner organization.

Some Campos writeups:

Campos is a very, very impressive young man. While he doesn’t have the upside that Felix or Pineda did at his stage, he still shows a lot of things that you like to see, especially in what he flashes for future development at his age. His body type is almost picture-perfect for the type of pitcher he is, which only adds to the excitement and feelings of plus projection.

If I had to throw a future projection on him, I’d say Campos has a good shot at holding down a third or fourth slot in a rotation in fine fashion, with a chance at being a number two if his command improves sufficiently. If his command doesn’t progress enough, however, he could still have solid enough value as a late-inning reliever with his stuff. This is a kid to keep an eye on, and be more than willing to get excited about.

Obviously, I am high on the physical tools that Campos has to work with, but there is one other very impressive facet to his game. Campos has great presence on the mound. This was exemplified multiple times during the games that I saw. Campos was victimized by several errors committed by teammates on what should have been routine plays. Each time that I witnessed this Campos would acknowledge the teammate as if to say “ don’t worry I got this one”. And then he would go right back to work. He exudes confidence on the mound. Of course, 11/82 bb/k ratio would make it easy to have confidence. Campos is a quick worker and often had retired the side in under 4 minutes. He is efficient with his pitches and likes to throw strikes, as 11bb in 76innings would suggest.

Pitching in Short Season A-ball is a long ways from the big leagues and Campos still has to develop his overall game. But there is a lot to like with his tools already and there is every reason to believe that his game will develop over time. Having just turned 19 years old, he is the youngest player on his team and one of the youngest in the league. He more than held up to the league sporting 2.12 era over 76IP. And is finishing very strongly with 4 earned runs over his last 5 starts. As the Everett Aquasox fight for the playoffs Campos is dominating the league with 1.06 Era with 40K’s and 2 BB over 34 innings. Get him on your radar now….the rest of the world will be taking notice really soon.

Despite being the youngest player on the Mariners’ Short Season squad, Jose Campos has arguably been the best. The young ace gets his last home start of the season tonight, and to celebrate his accomplishments, the AquaSox are honoring him with a tip of the cap to Everett alumnus Felix Hernandez by having a devoted “Campos’ Court” cheering section.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#10 » by TKF » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 am

boy I will miss montero, I think he will be a great hitter in this league, and our position players are getting up there.. but if we can get a kid with this type of stuff, then I guess you do it...

our pitching staff is going to be as tall as the knicks starting lineup soon.. haha
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#11 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 am

Yanks are deep in catching prospects and Montero could never find that position. With DH reserved to rotate Jeter, A-Rod, Tex...he became expendable. Young Pitching keeps payroll more manageable and less lux tax.

Kuroda is fine as #5 and potential pen help. Getting Campo is nice.

Now to address infield age...
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#12 » by djsunyc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 am

TKF wrote:boy I will miss montero, I think he will be a great hitter in this league, and our position players are getting up there.. but if we can get a kid with this type of stuff, then I guess you do it...

our pitching staff is going to be as tall as the knicks starting lineup soon.. haha

whatup tkf?

this is a gangsta blood move by ca$h money...totally in stealth mode

what a risk trade for both teams. no way to tell who wins out since there's no telling how someone will perform under the bright lights of nyc.

but i guess if you're gonna take a risk, you take one on an arm and not a bat...wow...
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#13 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 am

what a DISASTER this was

im absolutely heartbroken over losing montero

ok if its for a stud like lee or king felix, fine...but pineada who had one good season with a balky elbow? are you kidding me?

and then sending out noesi at the same time? noesi is better than kuroda in the AL east, kuroda will get owned here

this O is so damn amenic in the postseason and filled with old players, and their once in a decade prospect to help with that gets shipped out for a non established starter, what a damn joke

fire cashman, hes worse than isiah for making this type of move
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 810

Post#14 » by NY2k1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:48 am

Pharmcat wrote:what a DISASTER this was

im absolutely heartbroken over losing montero

ok if its for a stud like lee or king felix, fine...but pineada who had one good season with a balky elbow? are you kidding me?

and then sending out noesi at the same time? noesi is better than kuroda in the AL east, kuroda will get owned here

this O is so damn amenic in the postseason and filled with old players, and their once in a decade prospect to help with that gets shipped out for a non established starter, what a damn joke

fire cashman, hes worse than isiah for making this type of move

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

This excuse that there was no room for Montero is absolutely laughable. You MAKE room for a bat like that.

Would have much preferred signing CJ Wilson or preferably Darvish (who I think has big time potential) or something if this was gonna happen.

This is on par with an Isiah Thomas move. Did he become the Yankees GM?

I'm hoping this trade falls through. Pineda fails his physical or something...only hope now but then even so, cash will still try to trade him elsewhere.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by HCYanks » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:49 am

You know, I get that people get attached to prospects like Montero, but the people running under the assumption that Montero is a guaranteed hall of famer need to take a step back and look again.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#16 » by djsunyc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 am

unless there's another deal with a bat coming back...let's wait a bit and see how it all plays out.

it's a risk no doubt but tough to tell if it's the right move or not for another few years...i will miss that opposite field power but this could turn out just fine for us.

i'm sure many folks were upset when we fired buck for joe and trade for tino...sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't.

take a deep breath and exhale.

obviously eppler and cashman's scouts thought enough to make the deal. we are dealing from a position of strength (catcher)

and when it comes to postseason - no tell who will get the big hit or who won't...
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 810

Post#17 » by NY2k1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:53 am

HCYanks wrote:You know, I get that people get attached to prospects like Montero, but the people running under the assumption that Montero is a guaranteed hall of famer need to take a step back and look again.

He has a Carbera/Manny type bat. No one is saying he's a Hall of Famer but the kid will become a dangerous hitter in this league.

If we were getting back a Lee or Felix type pitcher I would have been sad but A LOT more content with the trade. Right now I'm furious.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#18 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:59 am

NY2k1 wrote:
HCYanks wrote:You know, I get that people get attached to prospects like Montero, but the people running under the assumption that Montero is a guaranteed hall of famer need to take a step back and look again.

He has a Carbera/Manny type bat. No one is saying he's a Hall of Famer but the kid will become a dangerous hitter in this league.

If we were getting back a Lee or Felix type pitcher I would have been sad but A LOT more content with the trade. Right now I'm furious.

exactly

they traded him for a NON-established pitcher with a balky elbow

isiah thomas type move
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:59 am

If the need is for a power bat, all the Yanks need is to offer up some cash for one of the two Cubans.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#20 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 am

moocow007 wrote:If the need is for a power bat, all the Yanks need is to offer up some cash for one of the two Cubans.

is fielder cuban?

:dontknow:

Return to New York Yankees