yardbarker
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!

official Spring Training Thread

Moderators: moocow007, Pharmcat , nykgeneralmanager

Post#46 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:05 pm by Christophersp10

4 k's in 5 innings .



wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa



ooo and his velocity hit 94. Damn him for not pitching 98 mph during March.
Christophersp10
Analyst
Posts: 3,487
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 3, 2010
Top

Post#47 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:46 pm by Pharmcat

Christophersp10 wrote:4 k's in 5 innings .



wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa



ooo and his velocity hit 94. Damn him for not pitching 98 mph during March.


check the scouts note...he is throwing less velo than at this time last year

like I said, I have no problem with pineada if he was home grown, but to give up your best prospect in a decade for a overweight guy whose velo is down is risky and I disagree with it
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#48 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 pm by moocow007

Sounds really like a tired arm more so than anything else. As long as it's not an injury I'm fine with giving the guy more time.
Image
moocow007




Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 72,950
And1: 4,415
Joined: Jan 6, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
Top

Post#49 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 pm by Dr. Detfink

Chrissie....listen up. Only going to say this once, so re-adjust your training bra.

NO ONE IS SAYING PINEDA IS A BUST because he came into camp overweight....but the # of young pitchers who sustain injuries after a long season with a heavy work load is one of the reasons why Cashman always limited his pitcher's innings.

Is it a HARD RULE? Absolutely NOT.

When you are the Mariners, a franchise that has very little to cheer about...you don't care. You're going to throw kids to the wolves and follow the Billy Beane strategy. What is Billy's strategy? Ask Hudson, Mulder, Zito how many arm surgeries they've had?

The Yanks have the luxury of competing WITHOUT throwing a talent like Pineda to the wolves.

Now for the $64,000 question...Chrissie if you got weight issues. THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM and Pineda's...not ours.

Pineda deserves the extra precautions. It's not punishment...cause if he's like Wells who had injuries and history of back problems or goes under the knife, giving up Montero was a waste.

It's not just about investing in youth but keeping the investments HEALTHY....to keep payroll down.

You don't waste and arm. RIGHT CASH? Looking at you, skinhead for making that deal with the Mets' Feliciano and not paying attn to the # of innings and doctor's report....

You ease the kid into it....
Dr. Detfink




General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,366
And1: 1,035
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Top

Post#50 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm by ccvle

Dr. Detfink wrote:When you are the Mariners, a franchise that has very little to cheer about...you don't care. You're going to throw kids to the wolves and follow the Billy Beane strategy. What is Billy's strategy? Ask Hudson, Mulder, Zito how many arm surgeries they've had?


Hudson and Zito have had a relatively healthy career. especially zito, i don't think he ever had any arm related surgery. Hudson was hurt for like a stretch of 1 1/2 year, but other than that he's been healthy through out his career.
ccvle
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,126
And1: 34
Joined: Aug 2, 2002
Top

Post#51 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 pm by Pharmcat

Dr. Detfink wrote:Chrissie....listen up. Only going to say this once, so re-adjust your training bra.

NO ONE IS SAYING PINEDA IS A BUST because he came into camp overweight....but the # of young pitchers who sustain injuries after a long season with a heavy work load is one of the reasons why Cashman always limited his pitcher's innings.

Is it a HARD RULE? Absolutely NOT.

When you are the Mariners, a franchise that has very little to cheer about...you don't care. You're going to throw kids to the wolves and follow the Billy Beane strategy. What is Billy's strategy? Ask Hudson, Mulder, Zito how many arm surgeries they've had?

The Yanks have the luxury of competing WITHOUT throwing a talent like Pineda to the wolves.

Now for the $64,000 question...Chrissie if you got weight issues. THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM and Pineda's...not ours.

Pineda deserves the extra precautions. It's not punishment...cause if he's like Wells who had injuries and history of back problems or goes under the knife, giving up Montero was a waste.

It's not just about investing in youth but keeping the investments HEALTHY....to keep payroll down.

You don't waste and arm. RIGHT CASH? Looking at you, skinhead for making that deal with the Mets' Feliciano and not paying attn to the # of innings and doctor's report....

You ease the kid into it....


id put pineada in the minors this year...let him :

1) learn and master the changeup
2) become more mature and understand coming to ST out of shape is unacceptable
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#52 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 am by Dr. Detfink

ccvle wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:When you are the Mariners, a franchise that has very little to cheer about...you don't care. You're going to throw kids to the wolves and follow the Billy Beane strategy. What is Billy's strategy? Ask Hudson, Mulder, Zito how many arm surgeries they've had?


Hudson and Zito have had a relatively healthy career. especially zito, i don't think he ever had any arm related surgery. Hudson was hurt for like a stretch of 1 1/2 year, but other than that he's been healthy through out his career.


Hudson is just coming off his third surgery...Zito NEVER returned to form after he signed that atrocious contract with SF. BOTH were damaged goods AFTER leaving Oakland. This is why you ALWAYS pay attn to the # of innings on an arm before signing a guy to $$$$$ contract.

Which was Oakland's game plan. YES, this is the same Oakland that sold Giambi, Tejada and bunch of roid players without saying a word. Later got Brad Pitt to make Beane look like a patriarch.

In business, we call that being a LIAR....

END OF STORY.
Dr. Detfink




General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,366
And1: 1,035
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Top

Post#53 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:23 am by Dr. Detfink

Pharmcat wrote:id put pineada in the minors this year...let him :

1) learn and master the changeup
2) become more mature and understand coming to ST out of shape is unacceptable


I agree. Why is there this rush to put him in the rotation? Pineda was ATROCIOUS in the second half. I don't think it's his stuff persay. It's due to running him out there without any kind of support.
Dr. Detfink




General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,366
And1: 1,035
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Top

Post#54 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 am by ccvle

Dr. Detfink wrote:Hudson is just coming off his third surgery...Zito NEVER returned to form after he signed that atrocious contract with SF. BOTH were damaged goods AFTER leaving Oakland. This is why you ALWAYS pay attn to the # of innings on an arm before signing a guy to $$$$$ contract.



Hudson's latest surgery is on his back not his arm. His first elbow surgery came three years after he left oakland. He did have another shoulder surgery the next year, but over the last 7 years since he left Oakland he has averaged 28games per season.

I dont know if I would say the A's handled their pitchers any differently than any other teams. If you are good and healthy then you are going to get a lot of innings. Just like CC, Verlander, Holladay, Linecum,etc.
ccvle
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,126
And1: 34
Joined: Aug 2, 2002
Top

Post#55 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:57 am by Dr. Detfink

Pitching doesn't have to be an arm...it can be your groin, legs...it's the most unnatural movement but the wear and tear on the body takes its toll as you get older.

NONE of Beane's guys lived up the billing they had in Oakland. Zito got a ring...and even then Zito was not a big part of the Giants WS run.

NOW....keep in mind, this is an addendum to my original post that is, when young pitchers get 100M from the Yanks, it is only fair and fiscally responsible that the Yanks are not so eager to throw them out there for 200+ innings. It's the BEST way to protect your investment before they demand 100M.

It's the difference between 3 yrs of dominance and 6 yrs....
Dr. Detfink




General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,366
And1: 1,035
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Top

Post#56 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 am by ccvle

While i agree that the more innings you pitch the more wear and tear you will have, i disagree with the methods teams, particularly the yankees, use to limit their young pitcher innings. Look at hughes and chamberlain, i dont see any benefits in what the yankees did. I cant personally think of a pitcher that you can say that played a long and healthy career because he pitched limited innings when he was young.
ccvle
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,126
And1: 34
Joined: Aug 2, 2002
Top

Post#57 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 pm by Pharmcat

pineada booed off the mound, what a awful performance

hes going to the minors
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#58 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 pm by Pharmcat

pineada complaining of a sore shoulder

this just gets worse
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#59 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 pm by ccvle

Lets be honest the trade was as much as about freeing up the DH spot for Arod, Jeter and Tex and saving money as about Pineda.
ccvle
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,126
And1: 34
Joined: Aug 2, 2002
Top

Post#60 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am by Pharmcat

ccvle wrote:Lets be honest the trade was as much as about freeing up the DH spot for Arod, Jeter and Tex and saving money as about Pineda.


how did they save money?
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#61 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:33 am by Pharmcat

pineada to the DL...cashman position needs to be reevaluated, being busy cheating on his wife seems to have clouded his baseball GM duties and skill
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#62 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:43 am by ccvle

Pharmcat wrote:
ccvle wrote:Lets be honest the trade was as much as about freeing up the DH spot for Arod, Jeter and Tex and saving money as about Pineda.


how did they save money?


not this season, but now they don't have to spend +150 on cole hamels or tim lincecum
ccvle
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,126
And1: 34
Joined: Aug 2, 2002
Top

Post#63 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:24 pm by HCYanks

Pharmcat wrote:pineada to the DL...cashman position needs to be reevaluated, being busy cheating on his wife seems to have clouded his baseball GM duties and skill


The MRI showed Pineda has no structural damage to his labrum or rotator cuff, which are the places to watch for serious shoulder injuries. It's looking like they're going to shut him down for 10-15 days and then go from there. Calm down.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 8,427
And1: 2
Joined: May 23, 2002
Top

Post#64 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:50 pm by Pharmcat

HCYanks wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:pineada to the DL...cashman position needs to be reevaluated, being busy cheating on his wife seems to have clouded his baseball GM duties and skill


The MRI showed Pineda has no structural damage to his labrum or rotator cuff, which are the places to watch for serious shoulder injuries. It's looking like they're going to shut him down for 10-15 days and then go from there. Calm down.


we heard the same story with hughes last year....overweight, inflamed shoulder, how that turn out
Pharmcat
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 43,256
And1: 1,131
Joined: Oct 4, 2002
Top

Post#65 Re: official Spring Training Thread
Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 pm by southampton

Pharmcat wrote:
HCYanks wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:pineada to the DL...cashman position needs to be reevaluated, being busy cheating on his wife seems to have clouded his baseball GM duties and skill


The MRI showed Pineda has no structural damage to his labrum or rotator cuff, which are the places to watch for serious shoulder injuries. It's looking like they're going to shut him down for 10-15 days and then go from there. Calm down.


we heard the same story with hughes last year....overweight, inflamed shoulder, how that turn out


You over-react to everything, one cold streak or bad month and you are ready to give up on a player. When you trade for a young pitcher there are going to be many ups and downs you won't be able to truly evaluate this trade for a few years. Give it time.
New Orleans - Viable NBA Market
southampton
Pro Prospect
Posts: 969
And1: 7
Joined: May 14, 2006
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Top

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users