ImageImageImageImageImage

Fri 3/6 Yanks @ TB Rays: Game on old friend!

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Re: Fri 3/6 Yanks @ TB Rays: Game on old friend! 

Post#61 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:26 am

NYK Mentality wrote:Can't believe our bullpen has put us in danger here in the 9th inning... Meltdown if I've ever seen one. Wouldn't be shocked to see A.Rod tie the game up with a two run bomb here. wow.

I'm also somehow a combo Knicks/Rays fan that lives in NY. Was a Met fan as a kid, and got out of it cause they sucked in the 2000's (I was in Junior high at the time). Got into baseball again with the magical Rays run in 08.

Not surprised by our bullpen. Relievers are very volatile, and the rest of baseball is starting to integrate advanced stats more and more. It's going to be harder to find gems in the free agent market among relievers.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#62 » by TKF » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:28 am

DIDN'T see the game today, but another loss... don't like the 0-2 start... How did the starting pitching look today?
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#63 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:51 am

why would you give kuroda 10M when you can have a better pitcher in Colon for 2m?

kuroda is gonna get demolished in the AL east with his weak stuff trying to paint the corners
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#64 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sun Apr 8, 2012 4:15 am

Kuroda looked okay. His command wasn't great this game and the Rays are patient. That said, Colon just gave up 7 earned to the mariners. The mariners.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#65 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2012 5:51 am

Yea, I don't put too much stock in starting pitching in April. This is a SIX MONTH season. Pace yourself. Measure performance in stretches. So I go sets of 7 games, evaluate then sets of 10 games, then evaluate, then over a month, evaluate....etc.

162 games...it's important not to look at performance and execution because as the weather warms, guys get into a groove.

Older guys I like to see get off to a good start. Jeter looks fine. Funny yesterday, one person got on Jeter's case yet was not perceptive to note Cano's second at bat hitting a dribbler over the 2B bag. Exact same spot. So DEFENSIVE SHIFTS have played a significant part of the game...more than ever before in my opinion.

But before we talk about the pen, lost opportunities, or at bats....let's go back to that stat.

Yanks were close to LAST in quality starts. If the starting rotation can't hold it's own, then it's not even worth discussing who strikes out.

BOTH games the offense was expected to rally from 0-4 holes. That's unacceptable. The Rays are too good to allow that kind of lead.

Yanks schedule, they will face 86 games against teams who were .500 or better. That's roughly 50% so they can't afford a slow start.

But I called it from the start, Tampa will dog us till the end.

160 games left....
tjm384
Veteran
And1: 36

Post#66 » by tjm384 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:26 am

Nunez is a defensive liability.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#67 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2012 11:51 am

...which is why he's not a starter on ANY team.
Christophersp10
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#68 » by Christophersp10 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 2:48 pm

Couple of more brain farts by Clueless Joe today but I am sure he just said that he wanted to see what the pitcher was made out of.

Clay Rapada not ready for the prime time. At least Wade looked filthy last night
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#69 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:48 pm

Christophersp10 wrote:Couple of more brain farts by Clueless Joe today but I am sure he just said that he wanted to see what the pitcher was made out of.

Clay Rapada not ready for the prime time. At least Wade looked filthy last night

joe is one of the worst managers in the league...the team only one in 09 b/c it was able to overcome his mis management due to the insane talent on that team

maddon has SCHOOLED joe in this series
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#70 » by Relentless88 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:49 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Christophersp10 wrote:Couple of more brain farts by Clueless Joe today but I am sure he just said that he wanted to see what the pitcher was made out of.

joe is one of the worst managers in the league...the team only one in 09 b/c it was able to overcome his mis management due to the insane talent on that team

maddon has SCHOOLED joe in this series

To be fair, Maddon is the best manager in the league.
NYK Mentality
Banned User
And1: 25

Post#71 » by NYK Mentality » Sun Apr 8, 2012 4:25 pm

That he is, hands down, the best manager in the game today. I love Joe Maddon, he's the one that pretty much STARTED all this shifting around. Man knows exactly what he's doing, and LOVES to rest his players. While the casual fan thinks about this game, or that series, or the current standings... Maddon is thinking three moves ahead, thinking about the later months of September/October while getting ready for the playoffs.

This is by far, A.) The most talented team we've fielded in franchise history, B.) The best starting 5 we've ever seen and last but not least C.) The most complete lineup. We're throwing Hellickson out there today, the returning American League Rookie of the Year. This kid is going to be in the class of David Price within the nar future. A potential/future Ace. Then we have MLB's #2 overall baseball prospect in Matt Moore as our 5th man in the rotation. My guess is Moore will win the AL rookie of the year award hands down. Or at least strongly contend for it.

Now we have a complete lineup? First time we've (in franchise history) that we've ever had a TRUE leadoff hitter. Desmond Jennings. Kid was ranked as a top 5 MLB prospect for a good 2-3 years. Great to see him emerge onto the Rays scene. Upton in the two hole once he returns from injury. A true MVP talent in Evan Longoria. Now that Longorias healthy? Expecting an MVP type of season from this kid. Now that we have Carlos Pena back? We finally have another true power hitting slugger in Carlos Pena back with the Rays. Couldn't stand to see him with the Cubs last year, but over the past 4-5 years? He's put up some of the best HR/RBI numbers around. Both Zobrist and Joyce are the perfect 5-6 hitters. Both can work the count, hit for average, hit for power and overall just very solid at the plate; especially Zobrist. We're fully loaded in regards to our 1-6 hitters. Any type of production from the bottom half of the lineup in an added bonus with guys such as Molina (veteran), Sean-Rod and Briggy. I'm expecting this lineup to rank top 5-8 this year. Leadoff hitter, speed, power, patience and contact hitters all throughout the lineup.

And last but not least? Amazing defense just about everywhere you look. Longoria and Pena at 3rd and 1st both have gold glove talent/ability. Molina behind the plate is our best defensive catcher we've ever seen (as a young franchise), Upton in Center and Desmond in LF? Doesn't get much better than that. I can go on an on.

Sorry for the long winded post Yankee fans, I'm just very excited for not only the return of baseball, but also a great Easter Sunday of sporting events. I have two TV's up and running. One for the Rays and one for the Knicks. I think I'll just record the Rays-Yankees game and watch that after easter dinner with the family, need to focus 100% on this Knicks/Bulls matchup.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#72 » by Relentless88 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 4:49 pm

^I like Moore/Price/Shields, but I'm not sold on Hellickson. His numbers suggest he was a little lucky last season. Still one of the best rotations in the majors though.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#73 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 5:01 pm

NYK Mentality wrote:That he is, hands down, the best manager in the game today. I love Joe Maddon, he's the one that pretty much STARTED all this shifting around. Man knows exactly what he's doing, and LOVES to rest his players. While the casual fan thinks about this game, or that series, or the current standings... Maddon is thinking three moves ahead, thinking about the later months of September/October while getting ready for the playoffs.

This is by far, A.) The most talented team we've fielded in franchise history, B.) The best starting 5 we've ever seen and last but not least C.) The most complete lineup. We're throwing Hellickson out there today, the returning American League Rookie of the Year. This kid is going to be in the class of David Price within the nar future. A potential/future Ace. Then we have MLB's #2 overall baseball prospect in Matt Moore as our 5th man in the rotation. My guess is Moore will win the AL rookie of the year award hands down. Or at least strongly contend for it.

Now we have a complete lineup? First time we've (in franchise history) that we've ever had a TRUE leadoff hitter. Desmond Jennings. Kid was ranked as a top 5 MLB prospect for a good 2-3 years. Great to see him emerge onto the Rays scene. Upton in the two hole once he returns from injury. A true MVP talent in Evan Longoria. Now that Longorias healthy? Expecting an MVP type of season from this kid. Now that we have Carlos Pena back? We finally have another true power hitting slugger in Carlos Pena back with the Rays. Couldn't stand to see him with the Cubs last year, but over the past 4-5 years? He's put up some of the best HR/RBI numbers around. Both Zobrist and Joyce are the perfect 5-6 hitters. Both can work the count, hit for average, hit for power and overall just very solid at the plate; especially Zobrist. We're fully loaded in regards to our 1-6 hitters. Any type of production from the bottom half of the lineup in an added bonus with guys such as Molina (veteran), Sean-Rod and Briggy. I'm expecting this lineup to rank top 5-8 this year. Leadoff hitter, speed, power, patience and contact hitters all throughout the lineup.

And last but not least? Amazing defense just about everywhere you look. Longoria and Pena at 3rd and 1st both have gold glove talent/ability. Molina behind the plate is our best defensive catcher we've ever seen (as a young franchise), Upton in Center and Desmond in LF? Doesn't get much better than that. I can go on an on.

Sorry for the long winded post Yankee fans, I'm just very excited for not only the return of baseball, but also a great Easter Sunday of sporting events. I have two TV's up and running. One for the Rays and one for the Knicks. I think I'll just record the Rays-Yankees game and watch that after easter dinner with the family, need to focus 100% on this Knicks/Bulls matchup.

wait im confused, whose team are a you fan of again? :lol: :D

are you a NYer who likes the rays? (i mean thats cool, didnt know such a combo existed)
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#74 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sun Apr 8, 2012 5:21 pm

Relentless88 wrote:^I like Moore/Price/Shields, but I'm not sold on Hellickson. His numbers suggest he was a little lucky last season. Still one of the best rotations in the majors though.

Alex Cobb too.. the kid they sent down to the minors cause they had no spot in the rotation for him. He was great in the minors and was pretty good in the majors last year for his 10 or so starts
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#75 » by Christophersp10 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:02 pm

Ibanez has been a baseball player for how long?

KEEP THE BALL IN FRONT OF YOU.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#76 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:26 pm

Christophersp10 wrote:Ibanez has been a baseball player for how long?

KEEP THE BALL IN FRONT OF YOU.

that was a horrible play
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#77 » by Christophersp10 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:42 pm

great to see Pena doing so well. Yankees didn't need him.

Thankfully Tex still is sucking up the joint.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#78 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:49 pm

the team looks unprepared coming out of ST
Christophersp10
Banned User

Post#79 » by Christophersp10 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:53 pm

3-1 pitch, 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Swingandmisser pops up.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#80 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 7:16 pm

swisher is more unclutch than tex

another guy who gets his during the stat padding time

Return to New York Yankees