ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think the Yanks made enough moves for the Playoffs?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Re: Do you think the Yanks made enough moves for the Playoff 

Post#21 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:21 am

Vides990 wrote:http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38588/20140120/tanaka_will_command_more_than_$120m_over_six_seasons/

I don't think we're getting Tanaka.

Whys that? Honestly I was expecting the Yanks to go 5 years $120 million...so that 6 year $120 million offer doesn't really take the Yankees out of the hunt. I don't think money is what's going to put Tanaka in a different uniform. If he ends up with another team it'll be because he wants to be there. His wife wanting the west coast (as rumored) could be the biggest reason he ends up with the Dodgers...if that's what happens. I can't see Arizona being the destination. Still think it'll be the Yanks or Dodgers.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#22 » by Vides990 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 am

I just have a feeling management isn't doing to put up the 20 mill + per yr to sign him. He's a much bigger risk then the other pitchers out of Japan b/c of these new posting rules and with all these other teams in the mix I think Cashman quietly backs out; that way he continues his trend of making the team appear to be contending but ultimately saving money. Under the old posting system I bet he would have thrown more. Cash's big signing is going to be Johan Santana lol.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
draftbarnes
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#23 » by draftbarnes » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Team still has holes

1) They have a underwhelming infield

2) They need to add another bullpen arm to help Robertson at the back end
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:
Guest202 wrote:Didn't he score 30 two weeks ago on 5 of 10 from three?

you can still have good games in the decline, look at kobe's last game in his career
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,747

Post#24 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:12 am

There goes Garza. Gotta give up a draft compensation if they want Jimenez or Santana. Given the way this team drafts/has a less than stellar farm system, they better get one of them anyway.
Vides990
Starter

Post#25 » by Vides990 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 am

Buster says the big moves are done. I was hoping they'd stick to the 189 plan but at this point have no idea what they're overall game plan is.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,747

Post#26 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 am

Vides990 wrote:Buster says the big moves are done. I was hoping they'd stick to the 189 plan but at this point have no idea what they're overall game plan is.

Plan 189 was gone after Tanaka. They should just say " :censored: it" and just spend. Kuroda will probably go back to Japan next year and if Pineda or Phelps are ready, they could fill in for him or go spending again.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,104

Post#27 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:59 am

Jimenez seems to have turned his career around (unless it's that the White Sox have a great pitching coach).

This is a guy I'd like to see the Yankees take a bit of a chance on; he's still young and he winds up being insurance against Sabathia breaking down or Nova reverting or Phelps/Pineda not being any good/ready.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#28 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:57 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Jimenez seems to have turned his career around (unless it's that the White Sox have a great pitching coach).

This is a guy I'd like to see the Yankees take a bit of a chance on; he's still young and he winds up being insurance against Sabathia breaking down or Nova reverting or Phelps/Pineda not being any good/ready.

i agree

with 189 out the window and the FO not being able to draft

might as well sign him
Vides990
Starter

Post#29 » by Vides990 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 am

Rich Rane wrote:Plan 189 was gone after Tanaka. They should just say " :censored: it" and just spend. Kuroda will probably go back to Japan next year and if Pineda or Phelps are ready, they could fill in for him or go spending again.

Oh I know that, I don't like any of the other starters out there though, not for the money they want. If the teams want to add another name, get Papelbon to help the pen.
draftbarnes
Analyst

Post#30 » by draftbarnes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Not a big fan of Jimenez, he would be AJ Burnett 2.0.
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:

you can still have good games in the decline, look at kobe's last game in his career
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#31 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Well, consider the $189M plan is still a possibility.

Upcoming season is without A-Rod's contract counting against the cap. The following season, Derek Jeter's contract will be off the books along with Soriano. The season after that Teixiera and CC Sabbathia's monster contracts. Finally A-Rod's contract will be off the books. THAT said, um the Yanks BETTER develop some talent to lower the payroll at ANY position.

Ugh, Papel-bum is a head case. Plus the Yankees front office don't like guys who blab to the media without any kind of filter. There's talk Pineda might be going to the pen. I think the Yanks will find someone in time but I think the infield and filling out the rest of the rotation is the higher priority.

As presently constituted, on paper the Yanks should have enough to make second season. Consider last season with all the injuries, the Yanks were in striking distance. Much like last season, this season will be all about the health of the club.

CF Ellsbury
SS Jeter
RF Beltran
1B Teixeira
C McCann
LF Soriano
3B Johnson
2B Roberts
DH Gardner

Interesting. Speed at the top and bottom of the order. #4-6 good power but kind of streaky. #7 and #8 could be interesting in prolonging the inning.

Let's look at the rotation:

#1 Sabbathia
#2 Kuroda
#3 Tanaka
#4 Nova
#5 Phelps or Pineda
Vides990
Starter

Post#32 » by Vides990 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Gardner in the OF not Soriano, lol
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#33 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:03 am

I think they'll rotate the DH position...
draftbarnes
Analyst

Post#34 » by draftbarnes » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:37 am

Truly hope Pineda wins the 5th spot, he has legit nasty stuff. He could be a number 2 starter pitching in the 5 spot. Coming back from surgery i will be watching him closely in the spring.
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,104

Post#35 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:19 pm

draftbarnes wrote:Truly hope Pineda wins the 5th spot, he has legit nasty stuff. He could be a number 2 starter pitching in the 5 spot. Coming back from surgery i will be watching him closely in the spring.

Based on his injury, you don't think he's completely finished?
draftbarnes
Analyst

Post#36 » by draftbarnes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
draftbarnes wrote:Truly hope Pineda wins the 5th spot, he has legit nasty stuff. He could be a number 2 starter pitching in the 5 spot. Coming back from surgery i will be watching him closely in the spring.

Based on his injury, you don't think he's completely finished?

No, I think he has a chance to bounce back and be very productive. Only time will tell.
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:

Vides990
Starter

Post#37 » by Vides990 » Tue Feb 4, 2014 8:54 pm

We should give T-Mac a chance, invite him to spring training, he'd be the 2nd biggest name on the team behind Jetes and maybe he turns into Aaron Small lol.

Return to New York Yankees