OT: Yanks sign Tanaka

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Re: OT: Yanks sign Tanaka 

Post#61 » by duetta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Let's hope his skills translate and his arm holds up. His arm took a lot of abuse over the last season.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#62 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Good news. Was glad we didn't get caught slipping again. Hopefully now this guy turns out to be a true ACE with at least one out pitch that is pretty much not hittable.. that Splitter is filthy.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Re: Yanks sign Tanaka 

Post#63 » by Daaaarryyl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:41 pm

greenhughes wrote:
You know now and days this type **** is getting out of hand. Use of words is starting to piss me off. I'm playing 2k online the other day against some white dude and he had the nerve to say the "N" word when a bad play happened. If I could reach through a screen...
People are starting to get way too bold and comfy. Just because you listen to rap music... :roll:

I stopped using the word around '07. It was such a huge part of the language growing up in NY, especially where I was in Harlem that it seemed like a way to grasp urban culture while also, and more importantly, rebelling against anyone who didn't understand the hip-hop generation that I grew up in. "Bill O'Reilly says rap music is xyx... well Fuq that ni**" etc.

But reading and understanding that your personal "statements'"against society norms should be secondary to respecting history. It took time for me to lose the habit of using that word especially when everyone around me uses it in every sentence. But I did, and I'm glad i did.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#64 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm

duetta wrote:Let's hope his skills translate and his arm holds up. His arm took a lot of abuse over the last season.

I think the fact that he really isn't a true power pitcher (he can elevate his MPH if he needs to and does) is a good thing with regards to his health. But they do tend to throw a lot of pitches in Japan.. some guys respond well to it and some don't. The skills are there though...
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#65 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 pm

greenhughes wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
greenhughes wrote:in my world negro means a black person...

Keep in mind there are many worlds. Also, it's pronounced in spanish (obviously) and it doesn't sound like the derogatory slant used in english.

On edit: I really have no idea what the poster intended for the word. It read to me in spanish as a "bro" but for all I know Green Hughes is right and it was meant to mean something else.

You know now and days this type **** is getting out of hand. Use of words is starting to piss me off. I'm playing 2k online the other day against some white dude and he had the nerve to say the "N" word when a bad play happened. If I could reach through a screen...
People are starting to get way too bold and comfy. Just because you listen to rap music... :roll:
them xbox thugs :lol:

Got all tha balls in the world behind the mic
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#66 » by Daaaarryyl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm

moocow007 wrote: In the Cuba case one has to imagine that Jose Contreras is still on their mind.

And El Duqiecito too.

But the original EL Duque was great!!
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#67 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:
moocow007 wrote: In the Cuba case one has to imagine that Jose Contreras is still on their mind.

And El Duqiecito too.

But the original EL Duque was great!!

Yep! Loved the original El Duque. A fierce competitor. Let's hope the guys they signed play the same way. And that's the good sign so far. Elsbury, McCann and Beltran are all intense guys that lay it all out there when they're on the field. Hopefully Tanaka's the same way.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#68 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 pm

This strike out pitch is why he's going to be so good at the major league level... 3 of the 6 K's were splitters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bXtHWkm5nY[/youtube]

Same arm angle and delivery point as his fastball. Pair that with a low 90's fastball that he can throw in the mid 90's whenever he wants and a solid breaking ball with good control and you have the makings of a true ACE.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:This strike out pitch is why he's going to be so good at the major league level...

Same arm angle and delivery point as his fastball. Pair that with a low 90's fastball that he can throw in the mid 90's whenever he wants and a solid breaking ball with good control and you have the makings of a true ACE.

Let's hope so.

PS: Trade with me in BAT.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#70 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:05 pm

moocow007 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:This strike out pitch is why he's going to be so good at the major league level...

Let's hope so.

You're up before we are. We don't pick for a whilse...
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Let's hope so.

You're up before we are. We don't pick for a whilse...

Dangit!
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,576

Post#72 » by Lord Commander » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Did anybody NOT think that he would sign with the skanks?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:Did anybody NOT think that he would sign with the skanks?

Not really. The Dodgers were the big threat but after they gave Kershaw that 7 year $220 million contract they weren't going to go crazy for Tanaka. The Cubs? Regardless of all the chatter about them going all in and doing whatever it takes, that ownership isn't the type to take the big big plunge. The rest of the teams? Not even close.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#74 » by blueNorange » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:40 pm

nice of mlb to help the Yankees out once again by having arods contract off the books
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#75 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Not really. The Dodgers were the big threat but after they gave Kershaw that 7 year $220 million contract they weren't going to go crazy for Tanaka. The Cubs? Regardless of all the chatter about them going all in and doing whatever it takes, that ownership isn't the type to take the big big plunge. The rest of the teams? Not even close.

I thought the Dodgers were the front runners for sure even after the Kershaw signing with the way they've been throwing money around these last couple of years.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#76 » by blueNorange » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm

also pitching in that joke of a ballpark should hurt him, better hope he's a ground ball pitcher
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
[GR]
RealGM
And1: 1,947

Post#77 » by [GR] » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:Time for an MLB salaray cap (even a soft cap).

It's stupid. The MLB has more teams win the World Series than any other sport in the past 30 years. They're fine.

And the Yanks pay the most in revenue sharing, and the teams that collect the most, don't do crap with the money.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#78 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Of course.
Free Palestine
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,939

Post#79 » by Fury » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:16 pm

blueNorange wrote:also pitching in that joke of a ballpark should hurt him, better hope he's a ground ball pitcher

He throws a splitter
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I thought the Dodgers were the front runners for sure even after the Kershaw signing with the way they've been throwing money around these last couple of years.

True. Let's hope it's because they didn't think he was worth it. The Dodgers scouts are probably more reliable in terms of judging talent than the Yanks scouts, especially when it comes to pitchers.

Return to New York Yankees