ImageImageImageImageImage

Time to clean house and rebuild

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Time to clean house and rebuild 

Post#1 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:05 am

This team is downright awful, the whole front office needs to be fired from the president, gm, to the scouting department and replaced with entirely new personnel

-team has no farm
-riddled with overpaid over the hill mercenaries who are breaking down
-minimal high ceiling young talent on the major league roster
-no reliable starter
-got cheap (or biased?) against international players and missed studs like puig, abreu, chapman, cespedes, who would cost nothing but money (Which yanks are supposed to have more than anyone else), yet threw away money on washed up players like youkilis, paid feliciano to do nothing for 2 years
-there literally is no reason to watch this team, not good enough to win, no young talent to cheer for, watch and grow with, just a sputtering team that cant hit or stay healthy

this team has turned into an absolute disaster, everyone needs to go and a complete rebuild is necessary....what a disservice to the fans, and the core 4 to send them to their retirement playing on awful teams instead of title contending teams. Fire cashman, scouting department ASAP
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Re: Time to clean house and rebuild 

Post#2 » by Vides990 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Agree 100%, been saying the same thing since the end of 2012.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Rebuilding is something this front office can't accept because the taxes and cost of that billion dollar stadium.

Consider that once players are drafted, it can take anywhere from 2-4 yrs to reach the majors...then there's the time it takes to become an every day player.

Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy was supposed to be the rotation of the future. Turned out that none of those guys panned out.

Then there was Robinson Cano that Cashman couldn't get to accept an offer and left for a lot of cash.

The A's, Rays...have both used the draft and neither have won ONE World Series...

While I wouldn't be opposed to rebuilding, the fact is Brian Cashman and his scouts haven't been able to draft in a ridiculous amount of time. That's because you have a GM who has NEVER scouted in his life. He's a lawyer by trade and contracts ARE his forte.

BUT before all that...let's roll the clocks back to when Jeter was asking for one last contract, the Steinbrenner brothers with Levine and Cashman gave him a hard time...then A-Roid scandal...goes to show you where the acuity of this front office is at.

There is a silver lining....

Tanaka is legit (IF the Yanks don't burn him out).

Pineda if he can stay healthy has a potential to be a great #3

Shane Greene could be a solid #5

Betances is the future closer of the Yanks

Hitting wise, this team is a mess. Too many contact hitters that hit below .270.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#4 » by Pharmcat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 am

the team couldve rebuilt through international free agency by signing guys who cost nothing but money, which is supposed to be the yanks strong suit

its a travesty they lost out on puig cespedes chapman darvish etc
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#5 » by TNBT » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:57 am

I agree with the suggestion that this team has a ways to go before it's well and truly back on the right track, but I think Doc is right that this team has too much at stake (financially) to do a full re-build. Would it be best for the team on the field? I think so, but what it would cost the team in terms of fan support, ticket and merchandise sales, etc. to publically acknowledge would likely be too much for them to go ahead with it.

As Doc also said, there are a few bright spots in this line-up already though. Assuming that we don't burn him out, Tanaka is a real stud. Pineda (if he can stay healthy) and Greene are decent parts of a good rotation. Then there's the handful of very promising prospects in the system as well. Considering that, and that I doubt we're likely to go on an all-out re-build plan, I'd like to see us bring up a few of those prospects over the next season or so and actually give them some real playing time, and try and get out from under some of these terrible contracts without taking on any new long-term massive deals. It will take some time and it wont be pretty, but I think it would be best in the long run.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 pm

I agree with Pharmcat. I dunno why the Yankees are so scared of scouting and bringing players from other countries.

Let's take a look at those off-season signings?

Ellsbury .271 10 HRs 53 RBIs (that laugh you hear is from Boston)

McCann .235 13 HRs 49 RBIs (that laugh you hear is from Atlanta)

Beltran .235 14 Hrs 45 RBIs

Wow..

The guy whom Cashman chased for several years...

Headley .253

Drew .173

Prado .184

WOW.

Cashman is killin' it.
Vides990
Starter

Post#7 » by Vides990 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rebuilding is something this front office can't accept because the taxes and cost of that billion dollar stadium.

Consider that once players are drafted, it can take anywhere from 2-4 yrs to reach the majors...then there's the time it takes to become an every day player.

Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy was supposed to be the rotation of the future. Turned out that none of those guys panned out.

Then there was Robinson Cano that Cashman couldn't get to accept an offer and left for a lot of cash.

The A's, Rays...have both used the draft and neither have won ONE World Series...

While I wouldn't be opposed to rebuilding, the fact is Brian Cashman and his scouts haven't been able to draft in a ridiculous amount of time. That's because you have a GM who has NEVER scouted in his life. He's a lawyer by trade and contracts ARE his forte.

BUT before all that...let's roll the clocks back to when Jeter was asking for one last contract, the Steinbrenner brothers with Levine and Cashman gave him a hard time...then A-Roid scandal...goes to show you where the acuity of this front office is at.

There is a silver lining....

Tanaka is legit (IF the Yanks don't burn him out).

Pineda if he can stay healthy has a potential to be a great #3

Shane Greene could be a solid #5

Betances is the future closer of the Yanks

Hitting wise, this team is a mess. Too many contact hitters that hit below .270.

While I wouldn't trust Cash-man to do a rebuild because as you said he's not a scout, the idea the Yankee's "can't afford to rebuild" the right way is crazy. They easily could and its this kind of thinking by fans that allow Cash to perpetuate his run a top a failing organization.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,227

Post#8 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:57 pm

It's not basketball.

You can rebuild AND compete at the same time.

Sign FA's, compete

Stock the farm with good scouting (well, it's the yanks, so not sure here) and internation talent, top tier and "take a flyer"

young guys come along 2-3 years later, in case of some int'l talent, maybe right away, then they are like signing a young FA
Vides990
Starter

Post#9 » by Vides990 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 pm

I certainly agree you can rebuild and compete at the same time, but that assumes a Free Agent market where difference makers can be found and outside of International Talent (where Cash hasn't been willing to spend), Free Agency has been pretty barren for a few years now because teams have the money to hold on to their key players thanks to all the revenue sharing and TV contracts Selig has put in place. Tear the team down, trade off the dead weight, no one says the Yankees HAVE to opperate at 200mill per yr. I mean if they made wise moves you don't need a team salary over 130 million....
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#10 » by TNBT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Don't get me wrong, I would very much love for us to re-build "the right way", I just don't think it is likely to happen. I can't see many teams being willing to take on some of those horrendous long-term contracts for prospects or expiring deals, meaning that we're probably stuck with them until they expire. Now when it comes to adding players that we actually want, how many players that we want to build around going forward are going to want to sign a short-term deal to "audition" while we wait to clear some of those big contracts off the books?

I agree that reloading the roster through the draft would be a good way to go, but then there's the issues that we've had with drafting in the past. Now if we were going to go into "blow it all up and start again" mode, do you really think that Cashman and the rest could sell the idea of a stinking rotten team to the fans who pay so much to come to games without a backlash and drop in income?
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#11 » by Pharmcat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:40 am

this team blows!
Vides990
Starter

Post#12 » by Vides990 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

TNBT wrote:Now if we were going to go into "blow it all up and start again" mode, do you really think that Cashman and the rest could sell the idea of a stinking rotten team to the fans who pay so much to come to games without a backlash and drop in income?

Personally I do, now I've been told by plenty of people here thats not the case but I constantly hear how "NY fans are smarter/brighter/more understanding then fans everywhere else" so if thats true then they should be able to support a team that rebuilds with a REAL plan, because right now this team is basically a sinking ship without a rudder aka operating without ANY plan.

Also, a drop in team payroll should be able to offset a small drop in income if that occured.

I also agree the team is very unlikely to rebuild the right way. Cash-man is a horrible leader and doesn't have the scouting knowledge to do it himself, I would think he could hire someone but I have little faith in any of his decisions.

Return to New York Yankees