Future international players

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Future international players 

Post#1 » by TNBT » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:16 am

With us missing out on Rusney Castillo, I'm wondering what interest you guys have in some of the other international prospects out there? The major name that seems to come up with Cuban prospects is Yasmani Tomas. From what I've read, he's a power hitter who will strike out plenty and be average to below-average in LF or RF. People say he's a tier below the Puig's, Abreu's and Cespedes' of the world, but still a solid prospect.

So what do we think? Do you want us to go after him or not, and why? Also, what other international prospects out there are you excited about?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Re: Future international players 

Post#2 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

would it be inappropiate for me to say yankees FO is biased against cuban players? (not due to race/skin, but the worry about PEDs/smuggling)

they have lost out on generational talents like puig abreu and studs like cespedes chapman etc

these guys wouldve cost nothing but money, which yanks are supposed to have....yet Cashman throws it away on useless players like youkilis, feliciano, or overpaid over the hill mercarnies like beltran

unless a new FO comes, I doubt they win these international signings, which is a shame as Yanks should be maximizing this process as much as they can until MLB clamps down on it (and they will)
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#3 » by Vides990 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Pharmcat summed up my thoughts.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:23 am

The GM has never been a scout before. That's like a blind man relying on who is next to him to help him drive. Huge problem. When Bob Watson was Yankee GM, Gene " Stick" Michael STILL looked at every player before signing off. THAT makes a huge difference in how a team is run.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,308

Post#5 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Sep 1, 2014 1:05 am

Sounds like the Cuban player is not the best and has some real holes in his game. Figure this will be the guy the Yankees open their wallet for.

I was actually wary of the last guy, figuring if the Yankees were interested, he must suck. Boston signed him, so I guess he doesn't; I figure next one signed will be a bust and Yankees will sign that guy
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Just some random digging. It appears that the Yanks actually exceeded (by a mile) their 2014 international prospects signing limits and ended up signing upwards of 5 of the top 9 international prospects available (according to MLB.com) including what many considered to be the top international prospect, Dermis Garcia (called a prodigee and a future superstar). Garcia supposed has the consensus best arm and power of any international prospect and has been compared to a teenage Alex Rodiguez, a young Shawon Dunston and/or similar to the Twins big time prospect Miguel Sano game wise. He's 6'2", 190lb 16 year old from the DR. Currently plays SS and may be able to stick. The Yanks signed him to a $3 million bonus which I believe is just about what each team is normally allotted for ALL prospects. They then went and spent another $9 million to sign some of the best prospects in the world (mostly from central and south America but also one top 20 prospect from South Korea).

Aside from Garcia (the top ranked international prospect per MLB.com), the others include Nelson Gomez (the 2nd ranked prospect per MLB.com) a power hitting 3B from DR, Juan De Leon (the 5th ranked prospect) a 5-tool OF from the DR, Jonathan Amundary (the 7th ranked prospect) a OF from Venezuela and Antonio Arias (the 9th ranked prospect) a speedy and toolsey OF also from Venezuela.

I believe all of these guys are 18 or under so it may be some time before any of them hits the big leagues, but it appears that they are trying at least.

NOTE: This is international prospects NOT international free agents. MLB teams are limited to what they can offer international prospects (with harsh penalties and restrictions for those that exceed restrictions). MLB teams are not limited to what they can offer international free agents.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Looks like the Yanks are interested in Yasmani Tomas who is an OF. Where are the Yanks going to put this guy? Ellsbury, Gardner, Beltran are locked in. So I am guessing the Yanks will have Beltran as 4th OF? I don't know anymore. I know the Yanks are desperate for RBI man and power in the middle of the order. The infield is a mess. Even wen A-Rod comes back, it'll be a .252 order.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#8 » by Pharmcat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:24 pm

moocow007 wrote:

NOTE: This is international prospects NOT international free agents. MLB teams are limited to what they can offer international prospects (with harsh penalties and restrictions for those that exceed restrictions). MLB teams are not limited to what they can offer international free agents.

why this team has not been active in the IFA befuddles me, just awful
puig, cespedes, abreu, this team would have had its offense solved

it makes no sense they give youk 10 mill for a year, take on prado for 11M per year, while the AAV of the above players is in the same range

CAshman has ruined this team
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Looks like the Yanks are interested in Yasmani Tomas who is an OF. Where are the Yanks going to put this guy? Ellsbury, Gardner, Beltran are locked in. So I am guessing the Yanks will have Beltran as 4th OF? I don't know anymore. I know the Yanks are desperate for RBI man and power in the middle of the order. The infield is a mess. Even wen A-Rod comes back, it'll be a .252 order.

Yeah I'm not sure on that. They could try to trade Gardner who probably is the easiest guy out of the 3 to move.

It looks like, based on reports, Tomas can get $80-100 million over 6 so it's not going to be a cheap signing. But with the success of recent Cuban free agents, the price tag is only going to go up and at some point someone is bound to become a bust.

Their biggest concern right now is the infield. Pretty much every position has question marks thanks to Texiera's wrist. Assuming that they can make due with Tex and McCann at 1B and they bring up Refsnyder to take over at 2B, there's still SS and 3B. Headley has been ok but not sure if he's really someone you want to go long term with at 3B (if they feel ARod is more DH now). Drew doesn't seem built for NY so I don't know about him as the long term answer at SS. They are likely going to have to plop big dollar at one of those 2 positions (either via FA signing or trade for a big contract) as none of their SS or 3B prospects are ready for major league action yet. I would not be surprised that Jose Reyes is their starting SS next season. Based on how Cashman has been reluctant to trade prospects, don't see Tulowitzki in NY. Reyes the Jays may be willing to move if a team is willing to eat his contract. He's had success in NY so you know he can play here (just health concerns). And he'd be still cheaper than trying to sign someone like Hanley Ramirez (who's personality concerns and baggage just doesn't seem to make him someone that Cashman would want). JJ Hardy would basically almost be like a SS version of Chase Headley (ehh).

Return to New York Yankees