ImageImageImageImageImage

WT: Cashman will stay

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

WT: Cashman will stay 

Post#1 » by Vides990 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 2:09 am

Brian Cashman "is not in any danger" of losing his job with the New York Yankees, according to a source.

Cashman is in his 17th season of the club's general manager. His three-year, $9 million deal expires after this season.

"I don't see Cashman as being in any trouble at all,'' the source said. "But as far as I know (Cashman's situation) has not been discussed yet. Those things normally are not addressed until after the season."

The Yankees are on pace to miss the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time in 20 years.

And the Yanks will stay a joke.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Re: WT: Cashman will stay 

Post#2 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Sep 5, 2014 7:48 pm

Yanks haven't quite realized that with the changes in revenue sharing it isn't as easy to pick up quality FA's.

In a way, that's good for the game as it was a major gripe from a lot of fans.

Yankees haven't focused on the farm system in the right way (Cashman is the leader so he gets the blame) to adjust, even though it's been a couple years.

Considering how the FA market is shallower for quality players, it's puzzling the Yankees weren't more agressive towards foreign FA's, particularly the Cubans, though Darvish comes to mind. Yes, they went after Tanaka, so that is good, but puzzling no movement on younger position players, which is obvious need.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#3 » by Pharmcat » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:59 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Yanks haven't quite realized that with the changes in revenue sharing it isn't as easy to pick up quality FA's.

In a way, that's good for the game as it was a major gripe from a lot of fans.

Yankees haven't focused on the farm system in the right way (Cashman is the leader so he gets the blame) to adjust, even though it's been a couple years.

Considering how the FA market is shallower for quality players, it's puzzling the Yankees weren't more agressive towards foreign FA's, particularly the Cubans, though Darvish comes to mind. Yes, they went after Tanaka, so that is good, but puzzling no movement on younger position players, which is obvious need.

its not just the revenue sharing, but the 2nd playoff spot...so more teams think they are contenders = more buyers than sellers which drives the cost up....its been so disappointing missing out on the IFA which cost nothing but money (no picks, no prospects)....Yanks missed creating the next core 4 with any combination of abreu, puig, darvish, cespedes, chapman, etc
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:13 am

I don't know what to say anymore. Yankees look like a team of mercenaries with no one to ascend or rally around.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,127

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Maybe it's just me being (overly?) positive, but I get the sense that Cashman is trying to tread water until his farm system can be built up and something significant can come of at least a group of their prospects. The fact that they've not traded any of their top prospects in quite a long time (in Yankee world terms) is significant.

Slowly the Yankees farm system is actually growing stronger and they have some guys that look like could actually become a new "core" group of players. Guys like Luis Severino (who some have compared to a young Pedro Martinez), Rob Refsnyder, Aaron Judge, Delin Betances (obviously), etc. have all been extremely impressive and have high end potential. Refsnyder may be ready to go in 2015. Severino in 2016. Betances already. Judge maybe in 2017.

No it doesn't answer why they've been pretty much absent from most of the international FA signings...but not all bad?
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#6 » by Vides990 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:56 pm

moocow007 wrote:Maybe it's just me being (overly?) positive, but I get the sense that Cashman is trying to tread water until his farm system can be built up and something significant can come of at least a group of their prospects. The fact that they've not traded any of their top prospects in quite a long time (in Yankee world terms) is significant.

Then he's been treading water since 2004, and we have no top prospects to trade otherwise he gladly would have shipped them out to give "hope" we could win it all in Jeters last year. Our farm system is currently a joke.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Vides990 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Maybe it's just me being (overly?) positive, but I get the sense that Cashman is trying to tread water until his farm system can be built up and something significant can come of at least a group of their prospects. The fact that they've not traded any of their top prospects in quite a long time (in Yankee world terms) is significant.

Then he's been treading water since 2004, and we have no top prospects to trade otherwise he gladly would have shipped them out to give "hope" we could win it all in Jeters last year. Our farm system is currently a joke.

The farm system still isn't in the top half but it's actually getting better. No? Lie to me vid.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#8 » by Pharmcat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Slowly the Yankees farm system is actually growing stronger and they have some guys that look like could actually become a new "core" group of players. Guys like Luis Severino (who some have compared to a young Pedro Martinez), Rob Refsnyder, Aaron Judge, Delin Betances (obviously), etc. have all been extremely impressive and have high end potential. Refsnyder may be ready to go in 2015. Severino in 2016. Betances already. Judge maybe in 2017.

No it doesn't answer why they've been pretty much absent from most of the international FA signings...but not all bad?

its not about building the farm, but also translating that success into the majors....so many prospects here have fizzled yet then made it on other teams (ie kennedy)
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#9 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:55 pm

I don't have any problems with Cashman holding onto prospects, even though most of his "touted" prospects have turned out to be slightly above average at best.

My biggest beef is how Cashman has been so reluctant to invest in amateur draft and international players. Since the Yankees refuse to rebuild, you're better off taking a risk on a younger, hungry import than dumping HUGE amount of coin for Beltran, McCann, etc.

Of last season's signings, Tanaka has been the guy who paid off in spades. One wonders how much quicker the Yanks would be in this rebuilding process if Cashman wasn't afraid of other international players?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I don't have any problems with Cashman holding onto prospects, even though most of his "touted" prospects have turned out to be slightly above average at best.

My biggest beef is how Cashman has been so reluctant to invest in amateur draft and international players. Since the Yankees refuse to rebuild, you're better off taking a risk on a younger, hungry import than dumping HUGE amount of coin for Beltran, McCann, etc.

Of last season's signings, Tanaka has been the guy who paid off in spades. One wonders how much quicker the Yanks would be in this rebuilding process if Cashman wasn't afraid of other international players?

Agreed.

Return to New York Yankees