ImageImageImageImageImage

Yankees acquire Didi Gregorius as Jeters replacement

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Yankees acquire Didi Gregorius as Jeters replacement 

Post#1 » by isiah_thomas » Fri Dec 5, 2014 7:18 pm

The Yankees on Friday announced that they have acquired Gregorius from the Diamondbacks in a three-team trade that also involves the Tigers. Right-handed pitcher Shane Greene was traded from the Yankees to Detroit, while Arizona received left-handed pitcher Robbie Ray and minor league infielder Domingo Leyba from the Tigers.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... &rand=ref~

I really liked Shane Greene and it seems like this dude we picked up can't hit, but is a very good fielder. I don't know to much about this dude though.

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: Yankees acquire Didi Gregorius as Jeters replacement 

Post#2 » by sully00 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 12:39 am

Looked like a star in the making in the first half of '13 but he can't hit lefties and they were crowded at short in ARI. I am fine with an all glove no bat shortstop as long as the glove is legit.

I know people love to kill Cashman and I was no fan of backing up the truck for Ellsbury at the time but to be fair the guy is actually going back to basics here. You now have a great defensive catcher, shortstop and center fielder.
Greene pitched well but he is a JAG, he never pitched as well in the minors as he did during his run last season he would seem to be a perfect sell high candidate assuming the Yanks are going to spend some cash on a starter.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#3 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Dec 6, 2014 4:17 pm

Really martin prado is not in this teams plan for this year prado should be the ss and rednesfyer should be the 2nd baseman hope didi is a backup this yr
Imageceltics
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#4 » by Pharmcat » Sat Dec 6, 2014 5:55 pm

another horrible trade by crashman.....trading a good pitcher, with a proven record in the AL, for a no hitting SS....the offense was bad enough last year

this team needs to get into the IFA market to fill these holes...cashman is way out of his league, he needs to be fired
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#5 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 6, 2014 10:58 pm

Pharmcat wrote:another horrible trade by crashman.....trading a good pitcher, with a proven record in the AL, for a no hitting SS....the offense was bad enough last year

this team needs to get into the IFA market to fill these holes...cashman is way out of his league, he needs to be fired

Well, he was a decent pitcher, but his minor league numbers didn't support that that would continue. This SS is a very good fielder, ok hitter, is young. I don't know, ok trade.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:09 pm

He's not the answer but he is a competent replacement at SS because 3B could be manned by a guy who is 39 has had multiple hip surgeries. So range and defense is something that can come in handy.

Now, the problem is, Yanks need 2B, 3B, and eventually a 1B. Talk about a team that needs EVERY THING.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#7 » by TNBT » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:52 am

I like the deal, to be honest. I was looking forward to seeing what we had with Greene, but he wasn't a sure thing by any means. If we had to give him up in order to fill the SS hole then I'm ok with that, especially seeing as we got a young SS with potential instead of trading for another fossil like we have over recent years. Gregorious has a great glove and he's developing as a hitter. Obviously he has his weaknesses (as does every player) but I hope we as a team and fan-base give him a real shot to keep developing, and not just hate on the guy because his last name isn't Jeter. Expecting any player to come in and replace The Captain is an impossible task.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#8 » by GnarlesOakley » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:15 am

I really hope he turns it around because as of right now whoever scouted Gregorious for the Yankees should be losing their job shortly, hopefully along with Cashman.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:25 am

Shane Greene currently 2-0 with an ERA of 0.00 and WHIP of just 0.500 while averaging 8.0 innings in each of his two starts.

:lol: :cry:
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by isiah_thomas » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 pm

^^yea the trade looks real bad at the moment. Still needs more time. Him not being able to hit is holding up right now
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#11 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 8, 2015 10:08 pm

Well Shane Greene is struggling but then again, Didi is hitting worse than an NL pitcher.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well Shane Greene is struggling but then again, Didi is hitting worse than an NL pitcher.

:lol:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#13 » by j4remi » Tue May 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Sooo...Tulowitzki might be on the block soon...can we go back to trying to do that?
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,588

Post#14 » by Stannis » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

What would a proposed package for Tulowitzki look like from the Yankees?
Free Palestine
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#15 » by Pharmcat » Wed May 13, 2015 1:08 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well Shane Greene is struggling but then again, Didi is hitting worse than an NL pitcher.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#16 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu May 14, 2015 12:54 pm

He's calmed down and his good glove and range are starting to shine but this kid can't hit. He's a backup or a guy you can afford to bat eigth/ninth on a stacked team.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:26 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:He's calmed down and his good glove and range are starting to shine but this kid can't hit. He's a backup or a guy you can afford to bat eigth/ninth on a stacked team.

So basically he's a taller and darker skinned version of Brendan Ryan.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Travis Knight wrote:What would a proposed package for Tulowitzki look like from the Yankees?

What the Yankees should offer or what the Rockies would want?

Rockies? The talk last year was that the Rockies would want...at least...both top prospects in the Yankees farm system (Severino and Judge). Not sure if that stance has changed.

What the Yankees should offer? The highest I'd go would be Gary Sanchez (and I would even hesitate here) and another middle of the pack prospect (maybe someone like Dante Bichette Jr who's mostly been a disappointment for years now) and having the Rockies pick up a portion of Tulowitzki's contract. Dante Bichette Sr was a very popular player in Colorado. Maybe his son can have the same success hitting in the thin air. Tulo's looked mediocre so far and his age and injury history mixed with size of contract doesn't really make him that desirable.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#19 » by Pharmcat » Sun May 17, 2015 4:01 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Travis Knight wrote:What would a proposed package for Tulowitzki look like from the Yankees?

Rockies? The talk last year was that the Rockies would want...at least...both top prospects in the Yankees farm system (Severino and Judge). Not sure if that stance has changed.

What the Yankees should offer? The highest I'd go would be Gary Sanchez (and I would even hesitate here) and another middle of the pack prospect (maybe someone like Dante Bichette Jr who's mostly been a disappointment for years now) and having the Rockies pick up a portion of Tulowitzki's contract. Dante Bichette Sr was a very popular player in Colorado. Maybe his son can have the same success hitting in the thin air. Tulo's looked mediocre so far and his age and injury history mixed with size of contract doesn't really make him that desirable.

pass on tulo even if it is for a bag of golf balls....the yanks need to learn to spread the money around, I would much rather get 3 cuban players instead of giving one player 20-25M per year
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Sun May 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

pass on tulo even if it is for a bag of golf balls....the yanks need to learn to spread the money around, I would much rather get 3 cuban players instead of giving one player 20-25M per year

The Yankees have passed on at least a half dozen Cuban players. Give the dream up. They are never signing any.

Return to New York Yankees