ImageImageImageImageImage

Yankees to get Marlins

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Yankees to get Marlins 

Post#1 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 pm

The Yankees are close to bolstering their biggest question mark.

The team is finalizing a deal with the Marlins on a deal that would send Martin Prado and David Phelps to the Marlins for right-hander Nathan Eovaldi and first baseman Garrett Jones plus power pitching prospect Domingo German, The Post’s Joel Sherman confirms.

Eovaldi, who turns 25 in February, went 6-14 with a 4.37 ERA last season for the Marlins. He gives the Yankees a proven arm in a rotation filled with unknowns.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/19/yankees-fi ... ayer-swap/
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Re: Yankees to get Marlins 

Post#2 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Why trade prado
Imageceltics
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#3 » by Slamm Goodbody » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Hated the trade at first (I loved Prado), but I guess this is what you're looking at for +/-...

Pros:
- Salary Flexibility: we save about $6-8 mil after losing Prado's $11 million/year. They can use that to get another pitcher - Harang or Vogelsong on a one year deal? Shields if his asking price tanks given the pitching market is oversaturated?
- Youth Movement: this is a full-throated commitment to Refsnyder and/or Pirela getting an everyday job.
- Stronger Rotation: Eovaldi pitched 200 innings last year, and we certainly needed to plug some holes on the starting staff. He's probably a better option in the long run than Phelps.

Cons:
- Youth Movement: remember when we went with Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy to start in spring training and what a train wreck that turned into for NYY? It's hard to make a fanbase accustomed to buying its way out of talent deficits to accept growing pains.
- Lost Versatility: Prado was a pro and had the ability to play everywhere. He could have slotted in immediately if Refsndyder or Pirela stink up the joint. Phelps also could start or relieve which helped in case of injuries, etc. It will be interesting to see who takes that role now (Adam Warren?).

My only thing is Garrett Jones has no position here, between DH being all A-Rod all the time. As a backup 1B/fifth outfielder there are worse options but the guy makes a fair salary for a bench role. Maybe they can flip him for another asset or they think his swing will play well in Yankee Stadium since he's a consistent 15-20 HR guy.

Kind of a weird trade.
Mardy Collins Superfan
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#4 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:Why trade prado

What other trade pieces did the Yankees have to get back starting pitching. At least he isn't over 30 like the normal Yankee trades of the past. :D :D
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#5 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Intrigued and scared. Tanaka, Pineda, and this guy have such potential but a lot of questions.
Zenith
Senior
And1: 1,553

Post#6 » by Zenith » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:48 am

First forward thinking trade I've seen from Cash-man in years, honestly blown away, great move.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#7 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:

What other trade pieces did the Yankees have to get back starting pitching. At least he isn't over 30 like the normal Yankee trades of the past. :D :D

But we already have enough pitching. And Prado was the only person hitting last yr at one point
Imageceltics
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#8 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:56 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:

But we already have enough pitching. And Prado was the only person hitting last yr at one point

Too many questions with the current pitching staff. Tanaka, Nova, Pineda and Sabathia all have injury question marks as to their durability.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:51 pm

If Rothschild can turn arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball, Brandon McCarthy, around, I'd be interested in seeing what he can do for Eovaldi. Eovaldi's got better stuff than McCarthy and is younger. The big problem with Eovaldi has been he's basically a starting pitcher with a late inning relievers pitch repertoire. He basically has 2 pitches he throws real well (a 4 seam fastball that can hit upwards of 100mph and a slider). His change-up (usually a pitchers 3rd pitch) has been erratic at best. If Rothschild can show him a cutter or a split finger (they have Tanaka who probably is the best at it in the majors) and improve his changeup, he goes from a 2 pitch guy to a possible 3.5 pitch guy. Considering he's only 24, it's quite possible. Eovaldi also is an innings cruncher means he's very durable which addresses another issue with the Yankees rotation. A guy with Eovaldi's size, age, heat and upside they wouldn't be able to get if he was a finished product.

Gerrit Jones is what he is, a veteran hitter who has some pop and who can play 1B. He's not a world beater but by most accounts he's a competitor which obviously helps in the locker room as well as being extremely durable to boot. But with the short porch in right Jones should be a bit more productive. His wife also is from the area and her family are die hard Yankee fans which should help make his transition to NY a bit easier and more positive.

Domingo German was ranked as the Marlins 6th best prospect. He's 22 and throws very hard and probably projects to be a future late innings guy.

It's really not that bad a haul. IMO they want Refsnyder to succeed and become a core of something going forward. They must have confidence in him. But even if he struggles, a veteran 2B is probably one of the easier positions to fill. In fact, rumors are they are talking with Asdrubal Cabrera on possibly a 1 year deal to play 2B as a just in case.

To give you an idea of how good this deal is, take a look at what the Marlins got for the guy Prado is replacing, 3B Casey McGehee who didn't exactly have a bad season himself in Miami last season. 2 mediocre low A prospects.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#10 » by TNBT » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:44 am

I loved Prado here. A good, versatile player, and by all reports a true professional and genuinely good guy. However, we had to add SOMETHING to the rotation, and Prado was our best bargaining chip. So even though I loved having Prado here and will miss him, I'm happy with this trade for two reasons:

1 - Virtually the entire staff have big question marks about their health/durability, and Capuano isn't going to win you many games if he's your best starter after the rest get injured. Adding Eovaldi gives us a durable guy who can be a really good mid-rotation guy, or a decent fill-in higher in the rotation should we have injury problems again. He's also still very young, and as was mentioned by someone above, he, Tanaka and Pineda give us three young starters with bucket-loads of talent and potential.

2 - As was also mentioned, this demonstrates a full commitment to the youth movement, and I for one could not be happier. Will it cost us some games in the short-term as the kids go through their growing pains? Probably, but in the long run it gives us a chance to build a roster which will have time to grow and develop together. We've added a young replacement for Jeter in Gregorious and will likely have one of the youngsters (Pirela or Refsnyder) at 2nd, to go along with Eovaldi and the added prospect depth in German. Personally I want to see Refsynder get the spot as they are both average with the glove, but I really like Refsnyder's pure hitting ability. I think given an extended chance in the big league, and being allowed to make some mistakes along the way without getting sent down, his defense will improve and he will adjust to the step up in pitching quality. Now if we can wait out Texiera and A-Rod's albatross deals, then we can keep adding young guys in a few years when Gregorious, Refsnyder, Pirela, Murphy, and the pitchers all have a few years under their belt and can step up as leaders.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#11 » by GnarlesOakley » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm skeptical at best. At this point I'd wish they'd commit fully to a rebuild, instead of this halfway nonsense. It makes no sense to gamble on youth and cost effective players in some position when they threw a ton of money at a Japanese pitcher who might already be damaged goods, and still are overpaying half their bats.

Cashman acquired a lot of "interesting" players, but so far most of his gambles have flopped.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:19 pm

GnarlesOakley wrote:I'm skeptical at best. At this point I'd wish they'd commit fully to a rebuild, instead of this halfway nonsense. It makes no sense to gamble on youth and cost effective players in some position when they threw a ton of money at a Japanese pitcher who might already be damaged goods, and still are overpaying half their bats.

Cashman acquired a lot of "interesting" players, but so far most of his gambles have flopped.

I don't think it's realistic to expect the Yankees to go full rebuild. Just not financially realistic. Also the guys they are adding aren't exactly years and years away, they are adding young guys with a lot of upside that can already contribute at the major league level while keeping their own top guys. 2017 does seem to be what they are building for and targeting to possibly start a new run. By that time the 3 big ugly contracts will be gone and both the guys they traded for and their own internal homegrown talent (Judge, Severino, Refsnyder, Lindgren, Yoan Moncada?, etc.) should be ready to make an impact as they likely will have had a year or so already under their belts. They also then will have money (with the big contracts going off the books) to look to sign whatever else they may need to make this team elite. It sure does look like Cashman finally has a plan. Honestly, in a sense, this is the Yankees form of the "rebuild".

Return to New York Yankees