Manny Banuelos to Braves for Carpenter and Shreve

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Manny Banuelos to Braves for Carpenter and Shreve 

Post#1 » by GnarlesOakley » Thu Jan 1, 2015 11:13 pm

Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1
Can confirm @JackCurryYES #Yankees have traded Manny Banuelos to the Braves for RH reliever David Carpenter and LHR Chasen Shreve

Sad to see Banuelos go but he was approaching bust territory as it was. Carpenter makes sense as a Kelley replacement, Shreve is allegedly a decent reliever prospect.

Cashman loves his relief pitchers.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: Manny Banuelos to Braves for Carpenter and Shreve 

Post#2 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Jan 2, 2015 12:31 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcej8s1wRU[/youtube]

Power arm reliever throws in the mid-90s. Nice trade.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#3 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Jan 2, 2015 12:33 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljsywMHGF4[/youtube]

Chasen Shreve decent prospect.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 1:21 am

Interesting trade. Carpenters advanced numbers the past 2 seasons are better than Kelleys and they both throw hard. Carpenter, like Kelley also is arbitration eligible so that's an odd part assuming the reason to move Kelley was for salary related. Shreve did extremely well in a 15 inning major league stint last season and is also a hard throwing prospect. Both are relievers however so trading a potential starter in Banuelos may be questionable. But then again Banuelos has lost a lot of time and luster due to injury.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,600

Post#5 » by bishnykfan » Fri Jan 2, 2015 2:19 am

Don't really know to much about the guys they got back, but I don't like giving up Banuelos. I know he's been hurt and hasn't lived up to the expectations of a few years ago, but neither had Betences before last year. He was so highly regarded a few years back I hate to see him go for a couple of relievers.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:19 am

Outside of the Montero for Pineda trade, Cashman has been taken every time so every move this off-season has been felt with trepidation.

Since the starting pitching has so many questions especially when it comes to sustaining health throughout a full season, it makes logical sense to stockpile the pen. Basically CC is a 5 inning pitcher. Who knows what we'll get out of Pineda. Nova won't be back till the end of May. Tanaka was overused last season when the pen was tapped.

For whatever reason, I get this feeling this is a precursor to a bigger move on the horizon...that which I don't know.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#7 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:21 pm

bishnykfan wrote:Don't really know to much about the guys they got back, but I don't like giving up Banuelos. I know he's been hurt and hasn't lived up to the expectations of a few years ago, but neither had Betences before last year. He was so highly regarded a few years back I hate to see him go for a couple of relievers.

its another terrible deal by Cashman, trading a prospect when his value is at the lowest for two pen pitchers
its also a reflection of how prospects dont develop here( brackman, mannyb, montero, etc)....question the development program

I still believe team needs a complete FO overhaul
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:55 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:Don't really know to much about the guys they got back, but I don't like giving up Banuelos. I know he's been hurt and hasn't lived up to the expectations of a few years ago, but neither had Betences before last year. He was so highly regarded a few years back I hate to see him go for a couple of relievers.

its another terrible deal by Cashman, trading a prospect when his value is at the lowest for two pen pitchers
its also a reflection of how prospects dont develop here( brackman, mannyb, montero, etc)....question the development program

I still believe team needs a complete FO overhaul

I thought it was a very good trade for both teams. Carpenter is a real good 7th/8th inning reliever with a power arm, and Shreve adds quality depth to the pen. Bullpens win divisions in the AL - see KC and Baltimore last year. The Yankees weren't in a position to rely on Banuelos, but the Braves are in a completely different situation in mostly rebuild mode and needed a 5th starter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#9 » by TNBT » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:57 pm

I don't know much about the new guys we got, but I'm ok with the trade. People talk about how it was a bad idea to trade away a starter for pen depth when we're so thin in the rotation, but Manny wasn't going to shore up the rotation by any means. Yes the rotation is unreliable, but Manny has been as unreliable as anyone with injuries, so we wouldn't have been able to rely on him any more than we can rely on CC, Pineda, etc.

Return to New York Yankees