Jerry Dipoto

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Jerry Dipoto 

Post#1 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Hopefully this hire doesn't end as poorly as the last time they hired a former Angel GM. :oops:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Jerry Dipoto 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:02 am

Jerry is a smart guy and is very deserving of the positon, it is only that he doesn't have a sound board to bounce ideas with, unlike Theo Epstein in Chicago, Andrew Friedman of LA, or Jon Daniels of Arlingotn, Texas. the job is hard enough, he needs to deligate some of the work load and I am not sure if the Mariners have provided him with the type of help the forementioned franchises have.

having said that, Jerry would be foolish to hang on to Montero at the expense of the reigning Japan series MVP from Fukuoka Softbank Hawks Dae-Ho Lee. he maybe 34 years old, but he is something like 9 time all star from KBO, 2 times MVP, a current Japanese Finals MVP, all 4 seasons in Japan as an allstar, and for those who may have paid attention during the WBC, he is a clutch, clutch cleanup hitter. if given a full season worth of at bats, Lee will outperform Lind. but knowing the M's have given up 3 prospects for Adam, it is unlikely the older, defensively sub-par Lee would get anything close to 400 ABs even.
ehhhhh f it.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Neddy wrote:Jerry is a smart guy and is very deserving of the positon, it is only that he doesn't have a sound board to bounce ideas with, unlike Theo Epstein in Chicago, Andrew Friedman of LA, or Jon Daniels of Arlingotn, Texas. the job is hard enough, he needs to deligate some of the work load and I am not sure if the Mariners have provided him with the type of help the forementioned franchises have.

having said that, Jerry would be foolish to hang on to Montero at the expense of the reigning Japan series MVP from Fukuoka Softbank Hawks Dae-Ho Lee. he maybe 34 years old, but he is something like 9 time all star from KBO, 2 times MVP, a current Japanese Finals MVP, all 4 seasons in Japan as an allstar, and for those who may have paid attention during the WBC, he is a clutch, clutch cleanup hitter. if given a full season worth of at bats, Lee will outperform Lind. but knowing the M's have given up 3 prospects for Adam, it is unlikely the older, defensively sub-par Lee would get anything close to 400 ABs even.

Not sure I get the Dipoto soundboard reference?? I take it, you have followed Lee's career. Not a sure thing he makes the team out of spring camp.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:03 am

sound board as of another person in the front office who is equally smart and qualified to discuss and debate the merits of each move he makes, rather than a room full of subordinates who simply follow his orders. as of Lee, yeah I have watched him since he was with the Lotte GIants and all through out WBC, then through his years in NPB. I follow not only MLB, but NPB, KBO, and Aussie baseball league during winter. also follow a bit of college baseball as I live only an hour drive from Oregon State. as for Lee, having seen him through the years and winning the Japan Series MVP just a few months ago, is flat out the best player among the candidates including Adam Lind, on first. the guy is a professional batsman, Adam is only two years younger, has a seriously ugly split, and in 10 years in the majors, he only has one season he hit better than 30 HRs and 100 RBI. he does get on base at a respectable rate compared to his average BA, which allows him a better than average career OPS at .790 range. Lee on the other hand, has been the best hitter out of both KBO and NPB in last 15 seasons combined. imagine a guy with Hideki Matsui's power with Ichiro's OBP. just don't expect him to win any footraces, lol. and ya there is a good chance he doesn't make the team out of spring due to circumstances more than his merit, but FYI, the Japanese club he was playing had made a public announcement that they wanted to make Lee the highest paid foreign baseball player of all time to stay with the Hawks, and Lee turned that amazing offer down to chase his MLB dreams with the M's. if you don't know the guy and what he has done up to now, that's okay but you have got to respect a man who can turn down such big offer from Japan where he is the current reigning climax series MVP and join a MLB club with absolutely no certainty to compete against guys who are a decade younger.
ehhhhh f it.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:33 am

Neddy wrote:sound board as of another person in the front office who is equally smart and qualified to discuss and debate the merits of each move he makes, rather than a room full of subordinates who simply follow his orders. as of Lee, yeah I have watched him since he was with the Lotte GIants and all through out WBC, then through his years in NPB. I follow not only MLB, but NPB, KBO, and Aussie baseball league during winter. also follow a bit of college baseball as I live only an hour drive from Oregon State. as for Lee, having seen him through the years and winning the Japan Series MVP just a few months ago, is flat out the best player among the candidates including Adam Lind, on first. the guy is a professional batsman, Adam is only two years younger, has a seriously ugly split, and in 10 years in the majors, he only has one season he hit better than 30 HRs and 100 RBI. he does get on base at a respectable rate compared to his average BA, which allows him a better than average career OPS at .790 range. Lee on the other hand, has been the best hitter out of both KBO and NPB in last 15 seasons combined. imagine a guy with Hideki Matsui's power with Ichiro's OBP. just don't expect him to win any footraces, lol. and ya there is a good chance he doesn't make the team out of spring due to circumstances more than his merit, but FYI, the Japanese club he was playing had made a public announcement that they wanted to make Lee the highest paid foreign baseball player of all time to stay with the Hawks, and Lee turned that amazing offer down to chase his MLB dreams with the M's. if you don't know the guy and what he has done up to now, that's okay but you have got to respect a man who can turn down such big offer from Japan where he is the current reigning climax series MVP and join a MLB club with absolutely no certainty to compete against guys who are a decade younger.

I don't know how familiar you are with the Mariners organization. But, Dipoto is likely the best baseball guy they have had since Pat Gillick stepped down in 2003. Jerry has brought alot of his own people with him. As for Lee, I haven't followed him. But from what I've heard, they plan on using him in a platoon with Lind. So, they need Lee to hit lefties well enough for him to stick around.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#6 » by Neddy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:04 am

I always liked Jerry Dipoto, trust me he is from LAA as an executive, loved his SABR approach and hated MIke Scioscia's inability to learn new tricks. but to be fair, he doesn't have his equal among his "group" he brought, they are no different than his yesman SCott Servais he hired as his manager. also, Jack Z wasn't exactly a jugganut as a GM in this league... he was dismal to say the least... and Lee hits both lefty and righty well. you don't win MVPs in two different leagues being a platoon player. but it is what it is. Lee is the best among the korean pros who made the jump in last two years, Jung-Ho Kang of the Pittsburg Pirates, or this year's Park who hit something like 103 HRs in last 2 seasons donning the Heros uni, now a current Minnesota Twin, but again, unless you are following KBO and NPB, none of what I am telling you matters.

and I think Dipoto made another rare mistake going after Heredia. he is no better than your current Cuban CF you got from the Rangers.
ehhhhh f it.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:14 am

Neddy wrote:I always liked Jerry Dipoto, trust me he is from LAA as an executive, loved his SABR approach and hated MIke Scioscia's inability to learn new tricks. but to be fair, he doesn't have his equal among his "group" he brought, they are no different than his yesman SCott Servais he hired as his manager. also, Jack Z wasn't exactly a jugganut as a GM in this league... he was dismal to say the least... and Lee hits both lefty and righty well. you don't win MVPs in two different leagues being a platoon player. but it is what it is. Lee is the best among the korean pros who made the jump in last two years, Jung-Ho Kang of the Pittsburg Pirates, or this year's Park who hit something like 103 HRs in last 2 seasons donning the Heros uni, now a current Minnesota Twin, but again, unless you are following KBO and NPB, none of what I am telling you matters.

and I think Dipoto made another rare mistake going after Heredia. he is no better than your current Cuban CF you got from the Rangers.

You might have a point in regards to Dipoto. As long as ownership stays out of the way, he should be fine. Jerry prefers defense and athleticism over hitting it appears.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Neddy wrote:I always liked Jerry Dipoto, trust me he is from LAA as an executive, loved his SABR approach and hated MIke Scioscia's inability to learn new tricks. but to be fair, he doesn't have his equal among his "group" he brought, they are no different than his yesman SCott Servais he hired as his manager. also, Jack Z wasn't exactly a jugganut as a GM in this league... he was dismal to say the least... and Lee hits both lefty and righty well. you don't win MVPs in two different leagues being a platoon player. but it is what it is. Lee is the best among the korean pros who made the jump in last two years, Jung-Ho Kang of the Pittsburg Pirates, or this year's Park who hit something like 103 HRs in last 2 seasons donning the Heros uni, now a current Minnesota Twin, but again, unless you are following KBO and NPB, none of what I am telling you matters.

You might have a point in regards to Dipoto. As long as ownership stays out of the way, he should be fine. Jerry prefers defense and athleticism over hitting it appears.

Nintendo needs to step up their game and spend more on the payroll. they got their big TV deal and have a monopoly in MLB baseball in all of NorthWest, from Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho, to even BC Canada and a TV deal in Japan as well, they are not losing any dime on the ball club.

and I don't necessarily think Jerry prefers defense and athleticism over hitting, but he understands that the defense and athleticism in relative value versus batting is currently undervalued and thus can be had for cheap to increase the overall team WAR more economically than paying for batsmen. I think it is a result of the frugal Nintendo way rather than Jerry's philosophical core value as an executive.

hopefully the M's do make a turnaround soon, I do reside in Oregon and most of my employees who follow baseball love their M's.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Seattle Mariners