Bedard traded to Boston

ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Bedard traded to Boston 

Post#1 » by ORL_4LIFE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 pm

The Boston Red Sox have traded for Seattle Mariners starter Erik Bedard, a major league source tells ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes.

The three-team deal also involving the Los Angeles Dodgers was agreed upon just moments before the 4 p.m. ET deadline, according to the source.

In the trade, Bedard and fellow Mariners pitcher Josh Fields are headed to Boston; Dodgers outfield prospect Trayvon Robinson is going to Seattle; Red Sox prospects Tim Federowicz, Juan Rodriguez and Stephen Fife are headed to the Dodgers; and Boston prospect Chih Hsien Chiang is headed for Seattle.

Bedard is 4-7 with a 3.45 ERA this season. He has a 55-48 career record with a 3.69 ERA.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Re: Bedard traded to Boston 

Post#2 » by TTown » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:18 pm

That... is a surprisingly strong haul for a pitcher whose body is 94% glass, and Josh freaking Fields.

Trayvon Robinson in AAA this year: .375 OBP, 26 HRs. Some people are pointing out that he plays in Albuquerque (a noted launching pad), but check his spits:

Home: .306/.394/14 HRs
Away: .280/.354/12 HRs

Not bad. We'll likely never see Peguero ever again (!).

Chiang: .338/.399/18 in AA Portland. Destroying right handed pitching.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by TTown » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Sometimes the best way to evaluate a trade is to see what the team we plucked a kid from had to say. The Dodgers are furious that we got Robinson.
ImageImageImageImage
ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by ORL_4LIFE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 pm

You gotta love the irony of us trading Adam Jones for Bedard in what turned out to be a fleece, and now us trading what's left of Bedard and getting a steal in Robinson. Whether or not Robinson turns out to be great in the majors is another thing, but still, it's about time something went our way.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#5 » by Bulltalk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Well, we've accumulated 3 outfield hitting prospects in a couple of days. Can ONE of them PLEASE pan out to be a everyday, bonafide ML 3rd or 4th hitter? Is that asking too much? Probably. At least we've given ourselves 3 chances at it in these two trades.

Then get Prince Fielder, watch Ackley continue to blossom, hope Smoak comes around as a ML threat at the plate, that Carp is legit, that someone emerges at 3rd base, and I'll start feeling better as an M's fan.

Hmm...future starting rotation now...

1) Felix
2) Pineda
3) Hultzen
4) ?
5) Vargas/Beaven

We're still okay. But can we contend for the playoffs in either 2012 or 2013 before the clock on Felix starts ticking down? 3 more years after this.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by ORL_4LIFE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 pm

did we even sign Hultzen yet?
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by TTown » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Not yet. And if he waits until the deadline, which he appears to be doing, he won't be starting 2012 in Seattle.

A lot of people think Paxton will be a mid-summer call up next year.

I think they'll let Furbush do some starting. Heck, with Fister and Bedard gone, he'll probably start for the remainder of this year.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by TTown » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Well, Furbush just came in relief of Cortes. Maybe he won't be starting.

It's been kind of a busy weekend, I apparently haven't been paying attention. Felix, Pineda, Beavan, Vargas... has there been an announcement/consensus among fans who'll take the 5th spot?
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Bulltalk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm already hoping for the M's to finish with the 2nd worst record in baseball so that they can draft Nick Williams (the next Ken Grffey Jr.) in next year's MLB draft. :lol: I guess that young pitching phenom Lance McCullers is supposed to go #1 to the Astros. Of course, this is distant speculation. :meditate:

That's what happens when your team sucks for so long. You become a draft/minor league prospect whore.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by ORL_4LIFE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

now if we could just get rid of figgins . . .
sharkz
Freshman

Post#11 » by sharkz » Mon Aug 1, 2011 2:18 am

Nah we're stuck with Figgy, like it or not. Then again, if the Wizards could find a taker for Arenas, then anything is possible I guess. Figgy HAS hit in 3 straight though :wink: Hooray!!!!!!!

Guess we got lucky, because the Sox deal for Harden fell through for, you guessed it: medical issues. Glad Bedard checked out ok with them. AND we even get Robinson. What are the Dodgers doing seriously.

Yeah, I'd be interested to know who's gonna start for the rest of the season too. Are we gonna move Furbush or Cortes in, or are we calling Laffey back to start, or what? Or are we getting, god forbid......Luke French? Oh god please no.

Anyway, I expect Vargas to shutout his next opponent, because that's how he rolls. It's been 3 or 4 duds in a row from him, which means something completely randomly good is coming soon.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#12 » by Zyme » Mon Aug 1, 2011 7:04 am

He did break up the no no, but for god's sake can we at least try to waiver him?
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#13 » by jumanji » Mon Aug 1, 2011 3:42 pm

We do have a ton of of outfield prospects and it may be hard for them all to get playing time in Tacoma. Maybe i'm crazy but i havent given up on the likes of Saunders, Wilson and Peguero yet.

On a sidenote something has to give with the trio of Smoak, Guttierez and Olivo. If these guys are going to be .220 hitters it isnt going to work. They're all great with the glove so you could probably keep one of them for defensive purposes but Smoak and Gutti play positions where you cant carry someone just for the leather.
ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by ORL_4LIFE » Tue Aug 2, 2011 1:00 am

with all the OFs we've been collecting, my guess is Gutti will be traded during the offseason. hell smoak is as good as gone too if we had more options at first. not really sold on carp. we can always try to go after fielder, but lets be honest, with our lineup, all opposing teams have to do is walk him, and whoever behind him will just ground into a double play.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#15 » by Sweezo » Tue Aug 2, 2011 2:54 am

Ackley just hit a bases clearing triple...AHAHAHAA!!!!!

ORL_4LIFE wrote:with all the OFs we've been collecting, my guess is Gutti will be traded during the offseason. hell smoak is as good as gone too if we had more options at first. not really sold on carp. we can always try to go after fielder, but lets be honest, with our lineup, all opposing teams have to do is walk him, and whoever behind him will just ground into a double play.

It's only been a day or two but I like the make-up of this team a little more now. Casper Wells looks like he might be a decent OF; i don't know that he's the future of the franchise in LF but he looks good defensively and he's capable of getting a base hit every now and then.

I like Carp well enough. And I don't care if it seems foolish but he simply maintains what he's doing through the end of the year it would be hard for me to say "yeah, commit $20 million per to Fielder now" if he would just DH. Does part of that depend on how Smoak finishes the season?

I don't think Guti is traded in the offseason. His value is low so, really, the team has more to gain by getting him going. Give him a shot to get his weight up in the offseason and see what he gets.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#16 » by Zyme » Tue Aug 2, 2011 3:38 am

If we can sign Fielder, do it. This lineup needs as many bats as it can get. Any team would be mad to not try and sign Fielder if they can afford him. He does too much to add power, in the low power era we are entering.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#17 » by Sweezo » Tue Aug 2, 2011 4:52 am

Zyme wrote:If we can sign Fielder, do it. This lineup needs as many bats as it can get. Any team would be mad to not try and sign Fielder if they can afford him. He does too much to add power, in the low power era we are entering.

But look at what happens when one of those giant contracts doesn't work out...Sexson, Figgins, [present day] Ichiro...the contract turns into an albatross that you just can't get rid of.

Fielder's a hell of a player, but he has to be cost effective.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Bulltalk » Tue Aug 2, 2011 5:55 am

I'm all for going after Fielder guns blazing. Gotta take a chance this off season. He's the best bat out there. And he's not old either.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by TTown » Tue Aug 2, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm not at all impressed with the 2012 FA crop, so I wouldn't mind going hard after Fielder. I mean, it's a weak class, and there aren't many opportunities to upgrade significantly. That said, because it's such a weak class, I'm kind of afraid there's going to be an excessive bidding war and he's going to end up with a contract beyond his worth. I want him, but I don't want him at $200 million.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by TTown » Tue Aug 2, 2011 4:45 pm

TTown wrote:Well, Furbush just came in relief of Cortes. Maybe he won't be starting.

It's been kind of a busy weekend, I apparently haven't been paying attention. Felix, Pineda, Beavan, Vargas... has there been an announcement/consensus among fans who'll take the 5th spot?

Well, there you go: Furbush getting the start Wednesday. We're also skipping Pineda's next turn in the rotation, we won't see him again until next Tuesday.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to Seattle Mariners