Bedard traded to Boston

ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Bedard traded to Boston 

Post#31 » by ORL_4LIFE » Fri Aug 5, 2011 2:26 am

well looks like Treyvon Robinson is gonna get called up already, as Halman will be sent down to AAA.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#32 » by TTown » Fri Aug 5, 2011 3:14 am

Interesting. We all know how much I complain about calling young kids up and only playing them every third or fourth day; and so I wonder what the plan is here. While Smoak is rehabbing that thumb Carp at first works great, but what happens when Smoak is back (which could be any day)? Carp at DH, Wells in left, Robinson ??. I wouldn't mind sitting Guti, but I doubt the organization agrees. Who sits?
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#33 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 6, 2011 3:02 am

ORL_4LIFE wrote:well looks like Treyvon Robinson is gonna get called up already, as Halman will be sent down to AAA.

I don't know if anyone else just saw that catch Robinson made to rob Torii Hunter of a home run but THAT WAS AN AMAZING CATCH. He was going all out into the stands. Fantastic!
sharkz
Freshman

Post#34 » by sharkz » Sat Aug 6, 2011 3:25 am

Who is this Robinson kid I like him.

We gotta get a run, last thing we want is to force Vargas in to a duel with Jered friggin Weaver.

Oh by the way, Jerry Meals is at 3rd for this game. Just sayin.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#35 » by Bulltalk » Sat Aug 6, 2011 3:53 am

I am cautiously beginning to detect some everyday prospects for our future.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 6, 2011 5:29 am

sharkz wrote:
Oh by the way, Jerry Meals is at 3rd for this game. Just sayin.

And he botched a call that stole a double from the Angels. C.B. Bucknor, sensing some heat would be on Meals for blowing a call, then decide to call the worst strike zone in the world and take the focus off of Meals.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#37 » by jumanji » Sat Aug 6, 2011 5:33 pm

TTown wrote:Interesting. We all know how much I complain about calling young kids up and only playing them every third or fourth day; and so I wonder what the plan is here. While Smoak is rehabbing that thumb Carp at first works great, but what happens when Smoak is back (which could be any day)? Carp at DH, Wells in left, Robinson ??. I wouldn't mind sitting Guti, but I doubt the organization agrees. Who sits?

Gutti and Ichiro probably put a bit of a crimp in their plans of seeing what they have with the young guys, Ichiro especially is almost a guy that you need both sides of congress to agree to sit him for a game.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by TTown » Sun Aug 7, 2011 1:09 am

Robinson in left tonight, Guti in center, no Wells.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#39 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 7, 2011 1:53 am

Carp is mashing!!!!!!!

TRAYVON ROBINSON!!!!!!!!!
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by jumanji » Sun Aug 7, 2011 4:14 pm

TTown wrote:Robinson in left tonight, Guti in center, no Wells.

Unless they're willing to sit Guti or Ichiro they're going to have a hard time getting everyone on the field. Carp at 1b would alleviate some of that logjam.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#41 » by TTown » Sun Aug 7, 2011 4:49 pm

Beavan was dealin', we scored 4 of our 5 runs with two outs, Robinson smashed his first career HR. Fun game.

Santana tonight, who's been the best pitcher in baseball the last two months. We counter with Felix.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#42 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 7, 2011 6:11 pm

If we were judging by our offense we haven't got a prayer tonight, but I'm learning to not assume these things with this team. After all, who else could lose 17 straight then beat CC Sabathia to snap it?

And we have Felix on the mound. Wells should be back out there tonight. And hopefully Robinson will play also. Right now seeing our kids is the most entertaining part of being a Mariners fan.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#43 » by jumanji » Sun Aug 7, 2011 6:24 pm

sharkz wrote:If we were judging by our offense we haven't got a prayer tonight, but I'm learning to not assume these things with this team. After all, who else could lose 17 straight then beat CC Sabathia to snap it?

And we have Felix on the mound. Wells should be back out there tonight. And hopefully Robinson will play also. Right now seeing our kids is the most entertaining part of being a Mariners fan.

Want to say they broke the streak against Phil Hughes.

I see a win today but not holding out too much hope for when they get to Texas.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by TTown » Sun Aug 7, 2011 9:42 pm

Carp goes yard to draw us within 1 in the 9th. 3 hits today for Carp. Seager with two. Ackley, Wells, Robinson a combined 0/10.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#45 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 7, 2011 11:12 pm

jumanji wrote:
sharkz wrote:If we were judging by our offense we haven't got a prayer tonight, but I'm learning to not assume these things with this team. After all, who else could lose 17 straight then beat CC Sabathia to snap it?

Want to say they broke the streak against Phil Hughes.

I see a win today but not holding out too much hope for when they get to Texas.

My bad. Guess we arent as weird as I thought.

Our loyal carp servant crushes one.

Funny thing is, if you take out the 7th inning, this was probably one of the easiest outings for Felix all year, if not the easiest. 12 ks and no walks. Just 98 pitches. 70 for strikes. Wow.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Bulltalk » Mon Aug 8, 2011 5:25 am

Yeah, Felix didn't deserve that.

Carp and Ackley have me feeling a bit better about our hitting moving forward. Put Prince Fielder in the lineup next year, have one of those young outfielders pan out, get Smoak going, find a better answer at 3rd base and catcher, hang on at SS for another year till a young gun can challenge for the spot in 2013...we might be able to be interesting next year with a big new addition like Fielder, might even be a legitimate contender in 2013.

I can dream, can't I?

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Sweezo » Mon Aug 8, 2011 6:49 am

Bulltalk wrote:Carp and Ackley have me feeling a bit better about our hitting moving forward. Put Prince Fielder in the lineup next year, have one of those young outfielders pan out, get Smoak going, find a better answer at 3rd base and catcher, hang on at SS for another year till a young gun can challenge for the spot in 2013...we might be able to be interesting next year with a big new addition like Fielder, might even be a legitimate contender in 2013.

The question is: Where do you fit all these people? Smoak and Carp basically play the same position. Carp may able to play LF in a pinch but when we have people like Robinson and Wells who can play the position exceptionally well, there's no excuse for putting Carp out there where his bat will be mitigated by his defensive shortcomings. There's no way Carp makes that play Robinson did at the wall the other day...

Catcher hasn't been mentioned much but the position is no better this year than it was last year. Olivo's just terrible. You know what's worse than Rob Johnson's .293 OBP last year? Olivo's .253 OBP this year. Last week, it sounded like Adam Moore was doing well with his knee rehab and may be able to play a bit at the end of the year. It'd be nice to see what he could offer [if anything] before the year is done.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Bulltalk » Mon Aug 8, 2011 1:27 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:Carp and Ackley have me feeling a bit better about our hitting moving forward. Put Prince Fielder in the lineup next year, have one of those young outfielders pan out, get Smoak going, find a better answer at 3rd base and catcher, hang on at SS for another year till a young gun can challenge for the spot in 2013...we might be able to be interesting next year with a big new addition like Fielder, might even be a legitimate contender in 2013.

The question is: Where do you fit all these people? Smoak and Carp basically play the same position. Carp may able to play LF in a pinch but when we have people like Robinson and Wells who can play the position exceptionally well, there's no excuse for putting Carp out there where his bat will be mitigated by his defensive shortcomings. There's no way Carp makes that play Robinson did at the wall the other day...

Catcher hasn't been mentioned much but the position is no better this year than it was last year. Olivo's just terrible. You know what's worse than Rob Johnson's .293 OBP last year? Olivo's .253 OBP this year. Last week, it sounded like Adam Moore was doing well with his knee rehab and may be able to play a bit at the end of the year. It'd be nice to see what he could offer [if anything] before the year is done.

Well if Carp should be the real thing, and we do make a run at Fielder, then Smoak will be a logjam at DH/1B/LF. But it sure would be nice for him to get hot here, at least improve his trade value. I think Smoak really depends upon Fielder, if we make a successful run at him. I think the odds are 50/50 that we are seriously involved in the Fielder talks this off-season.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by TTown » Mon Aug 8, 2011 4:56 pm

I have nothing to go on other than what I can see with my eyes on the television, but I'm not convinced Smoak hasn't been hiding some sort of injury for a little while now. No home runs since June 12, no authority on the swing, looks like he's having trouble getting lift on some balls he used to crush. I mean, I don't think anyone expected him to hit .300 like he was into May, but it's not just the slumping average. All semblance of power has left him.

The M's are in the very odd position of being a horrible offensive team without a plethora of options to upgrade. I think we'll make a play for Fielder, too, but I doubt we get him because he'll likely be priced out of our pocketbook, and the team is very high on Carp right now. If Z is still here this offseason, I also don't see him giving up on Smoak, because the Cliff Lee trade was his baby. I also don't think we should give up on Smoak; this is his first full season. Even if he's not hurt, he came out swinging, opponents adjusted, now it's on him to adjust to their adjustments between now and the start of 2012. We're locked into a couple guys in the outfield, we're committed to a couple young guys out there, too, both of whom show a lot of promise. Ackley's going to lockdown 2B for us for the next decade. So where do we upgrade? 3B, SS, C. For the production we get from him in comparison to his contract size, I'd like to keep Ryan, unless we can bring in a major upgrade. I don't see us bringing in another catcher, I think we're married to Olivo/Bard/Moore. Everyone would like to upgrade 3B, but the 3B FA class is crazy weak this year, and it's next to impossible for a fan to predict a ML trade.

So what the heck do we do? IMO, outside working the trade phones, there's not a lot we can do. Sign SS JJ Hardy (FA; .265/19/48 for the O's this year) and move him or Ryan to 3B? Join the Jose Reyes sweepstakes (which we shouldn't do)? Honestly, I don't know.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Sweezo » Mon Aug 8, 2011 5:43 pm

I still maintain Smoak shouldn't be in the conversation for the outfield. His lack of speed would make him the worst defensive outfielder in baseball.

TTown wrote:
So what the heck do we do? IMO, outside working the trade phones, there's not a lot we can do. Sign SS JJ Hardy (FA; .265/19/48 for the O's this year) and move him or Ryan to 3B? Join the Jose Reyes sweepstakes (which we shouldn't do)? Honestly, I don't know.

Hardy signed a three year extension so he's out. Boy, Reyes is a hell of a player but I'd leery of spending that much money on him. SS is an extremely hard position to upgrade.

Man, the list of possible FA 3B and C is terrible:

Third Basemen

Wilson Betemit KC
Casey Blake LAD *
Eric Chavez NYY
Mark DeRosa SF
Greg Dobbs PHI
Edwin Encarnacion TOR *
Wes Helms FLA
Melvin Mora ARI
Aramis Ramirez CHC
Miguel Tejada SF