Tampa Bay Rays @ Seattle Mariners

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Tampa Bay Rays @ Seattle Mariners 

Post#41 » by Sweezo » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 am

Bulltalk wrote:On a positive note...awesome performance by Iwakuma.

He was lights out. Price was just as impressive save that first inning. I'm still irritated by the loss but it happens. I hate seeing Felix/Iwakuma starts spoiled because I feel like those are games we just should win almost every time. You have to win those games because, when Maurer's spot comes up in the rotation, the odds are high that the M's offense will have to score more runs in one game than they're really built to score in order to have a shot at winning.

Paxton and Walker both sound like they're on schedule to return in early to mid June, which is great news.

I don't know what to make of Rodney. Guy's got a great fastball and a great change-up. But the control problems...I know it's just who he is, but he's just tough to watch. Remember when League blew a bunch of games and there were a lot of "what-ifs" being uttered? Rodney seems like the opposite. His normal stats look fine and he's got a healthy amount of saves, but just about every one of those saves could've been a loss or a tie game because of his control problems and putting guys on base. At some point I worry he just might implode, and our margin of error doesn't really allow for that.

I know McLendon's hands are somewhat tied. Sure enough, after tonight's game Iwakuma admitted he'd asked to come out after the 8th inning because he was tiring. Lloyd has to put someone out there in the 9th to finish the game out. Rodney's probably as good a bet as any to get the job done.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#42 » by Bulltalk » Wed May 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:On a positive note...awesome performance by Iwakuma.

He was lights out. Price was just as impressive save that first inning. I'm still irritated by the loss but it happens. I hate seeing Felix/Iwakuma starts spoiled because I feel like those are games we just should win almost every time. You have to win those games because, when Maurer's spot comes up in the rotation, the odds are high that the M's offense will have to score more runs in one game than they're really built to score in order to have a shot at winning.

Paxton and Walker both sound like they're on schedule to return in early to mid June, which is great news.

I don't know what to make of Rodney. Guy's got a great fastball and a great change-up. But the control problems...I know it's just who he is, but he's just tough to watch. Remember when League blew a bunch of games and there were a lot of "what-ifs" being uttered? Rodney seems like the opposite. His normal stats look fine and he's got a healthy amount of saves, but just about every one of those saves could've been a loss or a tie game because of his control problems and putting guys on base. At some point I worry he just might implode, and our margin of error doesn't really allow for that.

I know McLendon's hands are somewhat tied. Sure enough, after tonight's game Iwakuma admitted he'd asked to come out after the 8th inning because he was tiring. Lloyd has to put someone out there in the 9th to finish the game out. Rodney's probably as good a bet as any to get the job done.

It just happened. It stung. But you're right in that when you take off the homer glasses, Price was grat last night. And on another positive note, win tonight's game and we win the series. Of course you want to win every game, but winning each series you play in is realistic and constructive goal to always shoot for.

As I said before, there's a reason why Mariano Rivera was so beloved. He was all but automatic, and didn't eff around, went right after hitters with his cutter from the first pitch, didn't put people on, wasn't a high-wire act. I was kind of hoping last year that Pryor might evolve into a sold closer for us, but that's up in the air now, of course. Rodney just makes me nervous. It seems like he doesn't have a plan in his head when he comes in, a plan in his head based upon the situation and who he'll be facing.

I don't know...that was just a big OUCH!

PS> Rodney's WHIP is 1.71. That's high-wire act in a stat.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Post#43 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Wed May 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Rodney sucks. He sucked last year too. And he is old. God I hate these losses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Seattle Mariners