Houston Astros @ Seattle Mariners

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Houston Astros @ Seattle Mariners 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Fri May 23, 2014 2:24 am

Altuve hits the first pitch for a home run to give the Astros a quick 1-0 lead. Not the way you want to start a long home stand, but it's early and it's the Astros.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Re: Houston Astros @ Seattle Mariners 

Post#2 » by Bulltalk » Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 am

Well I'm back. I've gone through a little horrendous spell there, but back enjoying the M's tonight.

Let's win this one. What do you say?
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Bulltalk » Sat May 24, 2014 3:41 am

The King's on fire tonight. Command!

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Bulltalk » Sat May 24, 2014 3:47 am

You know, guess what? We signed two FA hitters with an injury history, and they're both out with injuries now. Fancy that.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Bulltalk » Sat May 24, 2014 5:06 am

I said awhile back that if we could play mostly good baseball through this stretch 18 out of 23 games at home that ended on the 1st of June we could either be a wild card team at that point, or just a smidgen off the pace. Either way, we'd be in it in June. That would represent a significant step forward for this team.

Well we've played 14 games so far during this stretch, with 9 straight to go at home, and we're just a whisker, a mere half game out of the 5th wild card spot...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/wild-card

If we could get a healthy Paxton back (not counting on Walker), continue to raise our team batting average, and ownership/general management can get us another key player somewhere ahead, we just might remain in this thing deep into the summer. It's possible, especially with a starting staff of...

--Felix
--Iwakuma
--Elias
--Paxton
--Young

Yes, it's going to be frustrating at times with this team. But it's a whole lot better than what we've gotten used to in recent years.

Go M's!

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Sat May 24, 2014 6:55 am

Bulltalk wrote:You know, guess what? We signed two FA hitters with an injury history, and they're both out with injuries now. Fancy that.

Oh yeah? But we also got Willie Bloomquist, professional power hitter! Missed the whole game tonight as dinner and a movie sounded better, but it looks like a fine all around game.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Sweezo » Sun May 25, 2014 2:11 am

Remember that incompetent ump that blew Roenis Elias' start in Oakland? He's behind the plate again tonight!
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 25, 2014 2:55 am

Sweezo wrote:Remember that incompetent ump that blew Roenis Elias' start in Oakland? He's behind the plate again tonight!

Really? :lol:

I think we can win this game tonight. I just think we're going to have to score about 6 or 7 runs.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 am

Maurer's settled down and throwing some heat tonight. Let's get some runs now. What are we waiting for?

Oops. Astros looking to score here in the 5th.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 25, 2014 3:38 am

Well I spoke too soon about Maurer. Tonight's game showed me why he isn't a starter for us. Even when he's pitching well (he really settled down after that first inning and pitched quite splendidly for the next four innings), he can implode just like that and give up a big inning.

He's still young. He just doesn't have that command of a 3-4 pitch arsenal. His fastball was hot tonight. But his other stuff was lacking. I guess it takes time for most young pitchers to develop such command of different pitches within their arsenal. Some never do. I'm not sure about Maurer in this way, but I'll sure welcome Paxton's return.

Strangely enough, if our bullpen can get real stingy fro here on out, we still have a chance in this game methinks.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Sweezo » Sun May 25, 2014 4:38 am

Bulltalk wrote:Well I spoke too soon about Maurer. Tonight's game showed me why he isn't a starter for us. Even when he's pitching well (he really settled down after that first inning and pitched quite splendidly for the next four innings), he can implode just like that and give up a big inning.

He's still young. He just doesn't have that command of a 3-4 pitch arsenal. His fastball was hot tonight. But his other stuff was lacking. I guess it takes time for most young pitchers to develop such command of different pitches within their arsenal. Some never do. I'm not sure about Maurer in this way, but I'll sure welcome Paxton's return.

Strangely enough, if our bullpen can get real stingy fro here on out, we still have a chance in this game methinks.

To me, he seems like he as OK command of his arsenal. After the first inning, he was gunning that high fastball past hitters and seemed to have everything working. Then the fifth inning comes, and the wheels off. He just doesn't seem to have the stamina or acumen to work his way deep into a ball game. Lloyd waited to long, Maurer imploded, and they threw a barely warmed up Wilhelmsen in there to take a beating.

Erasmo's got his own set of problems but on occasion he can give you 6 decent innings. Paxton's maybe two weeks away but there's no reason to keep running Maurer out there.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:Well I spoke too soon about Maurer. Tonight's game showed me why he isn't a starter for us. Even when he's pitching well (he really settled down after that first inning and pitched quite splendidly for the next four innings), he can implode just like that and give up a big inning.

To me, he seems like he as OK command of his arsenal. After the first inning, he was gunning that high fastball past hitters and seemed to have everything working. Then the fifth inning comes, and the wheels off. He just doesn't seem to have the stamina or acumen to work his way deep into a ball game. Lloyd waited to long, Maurer imploded, and they threw a barely warmed up Wilhelmsen in there to take a beating.

Erasmo's got his own set of problems but on occasion he can give you 6 decent innings. Paxton's maybe two weeks away but there's no reason to keep running Maurer out there.

Yeah, stamina, mental toughness, moxie...I don't know. He just has a way of unravelling fast, and making a mess out of the good innings we do get from him.

But hey, if we win this game today, I'll take 3 out of 4. Can't complain about that.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 25, 2014 9:41 pm

I wonder if Iwakuma is going to get "Felixed" today? A bloop single and then a home run and now the M's down 2-1. Can't we score us some runs here?

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Sweezo » Sun May 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Bulltalk wrote:I wonder if Iwakuma is going to get "Felixed" today? A bloop single and then a home run and now the M's down 2-1. Can't we score us some runs here?

That second 2 run home run probably sealed the deal. Our lineup is depressing again. I don't understand why we call up Nick Franklin again, don't use him again, and suddenly give a health amount of at bats to Stefen Romero. Romero's not doing anything to merit more at bats.

Return to Seattle Mariners