2014 Mariners Off Season thread

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

2014 Mariners Off Season thread 

Post#1 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:06 am

I know Im not really a diehard mariners fan (yet) but i do live in the great northwest and do pay attention to the Mariners organization. I would like to talk about what is going on with this team and how the mariners will grow, and move forward for the better. as my avatar speaks, i am a bleeding blue dodger fan for the last 3 or 4 decades but I wish the best of luck for the mariners.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: 2014 Mariners Off Season thread 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:09 am

for the starters, Cano just broke his pinky toe of the right foot in Japan. I expect him to heal fully way before the training camp.

but the mariners need someone behind him to protect Cano and it better be a right handed OFer.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#3 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:37 am

Victor Martinez looks like he is about to resign with the Tigers, and i say that is a good thing for the young mariners. you don't need a 36 year old catcher who is now relegated as a DH almost exclusively signing up until he is 40 or 41 while overpaid.

Hanley Ramirez is still in the talk but being a dodger fan I hope he doesn't sign here so we can potentially talk about a trade of Kemp ( former MVP runner up ) and Crawford (just finished last season batting .300). as far as what the Mariners would have to give up would be a prospect, as the dodgers do not want to bring back salary ( this trade proposal is purely a salary dump) but from looking at the Mariners perspective, it is pretty hard to ask of them to take on 42 million dollars per season for two outfielders. what other alternatives are out there? remember, Hanley is not an outfielder and lately a barely a SS. he is a DH.

PS - I think Kemp is still better than Ackley, especially him being the best player in dodger blue after the all-star, and he wants to play the center field. give him time to heal, he can be a lethal hitting CF in all of baseball. Crawford would take LF as he can't play any other with his puny arm, but as Michael Saunders is on his way out, and Jackson being no answer offensively, the Mariners could benefit from moving Ackley to RF and add these two dodgers into the fold.

PS2 - just so nobody thinks I am proposing this deal for the sole benefit of the dodgers, please, feel free to suggest any other options and I would be glad to discuss.
ehhhhh f it.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:57 am

Neddy wrote: Crawford would take LF as he can't play any other with his puny arm, but as Michael Saunders is on his way out, and Jackson being no answer offensively, the Mariners could benefit from moving Ackley to RF and add these two dodgers into the fold.

With Saunders switching agents, I'm not as convinced as I used to be that he was on his way out.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#5 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:02 am

Sweezo wrote:
Neddy wrote: Crawford would take LF as he can't play any other with his puny arm, but as Michael Saunders is on his way out, and Jackson being no answer offensively, the Mariners could benefit from moving Ackley to RF and add these two dodgers into the fold.

With Saunders switching agents, I'm not as convinced as I used to be that he was on his way out.

well we'll see. from what i understand the one who was pissed off wasn't his agent but Saunders himself. Im not too happy about seeing a powerless RF when your OF situation brings nobody who can hit with power. I truly think an upgrade is inevitable as it is much harder to bring in a power hitting infielder than it is with outfielders.
ehhhhh f it.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:10 am

Neddy wrote:
Sweezo wrote:

well we'll see. from what i understand the one who was pissed off wasn't his agent but Saunders himself. Im not too happy about seeing a powerless RF when your OF situation brings nobody who can hit with power. I truly think an upgrade is inevitable as it is much harder to bring in a power hitting infielder than it is with outfielders.

It's the only thing that really makes sense with the agent switch though, right? His prior agent really stuck it to the M's with his public comments. Maybe Saunders was just flat out unhappy with his representation and made the change, but the whole thing sounds...weird.

I hope they don't trade Saunders. Sure, he's had some injury issues, but the guy's got talent and produces when he's out on the field. At the very least, I'd keep him around as a 4th OF since he can play all three positions.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:16 am

Sweezo wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Sweezo wrote:

It's the only thing that really makes sense with the agent switch though, right? His prior agent really stuck it to the M's with his public comments. Maybe Saunders was just flat out unhappy with his representation and made the change, but the whole thing sounds...weird.

I hope they don't trade Saunders. Sure, he's had some injury issues, but the guy's got talent and produces when he's out on the field. At the very least, I'd keep him around as a 4th OF since he can play all three positions.

I agree that Saunders is the better option as the 4th outfielder than say, Ackley.

but here is the real truth about your all three outfielders.

Saunders slugged total of 8 home runs during his 263 plate appearances. even if he was healthy, he is projected around 20 at best.

Austin Jackson hit none as a Mariner and total of 4 homeruns last season. and that is with 656 PAs.

Dustin Ackley slammed whopping 14 HRs at 542 PAs.

i don't think your offense can afford all three outfielders who cannot muster combined more than 26 HRs per season, and even with injuries negated and full season projected, 38 HRs out of 3 OF positions. something needs to change for your offense to post better team OPS.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:56 pm

anybody got the mariners roster / lineup / rotation figured out? looks like Jack is done with most big moves.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Seattle Mariners