Let's talk Mariners baseball

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Let's talk Mariners baseball 

Post#21 » by Neddy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Hanley is now off the table. he got 90 million for 5 years from Boston.

now the trade route seems more likely for the quest of a power righty,
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#22 » by reedmo13 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:30 am

Neddy wrote:what do you say if Iwakuma+Furbush was traded for Kemp+Baez? you get the strong right handed power hitter in corner OF and a young power bullpen arm to replace Furbush, while it seems the mariners are determined to trade Iwakuma this off season at all cost, which i don't really get but I would love to see him in dodger blue.

not trying to antagonize anyone but just simply making a suggestion.

I am in no way supportive of trading away Kuma. I understand we have a strong pitching staff, but that wasn't the case for SO many years. Iwakuma has been solid for us for the last few seasons and there is no reason to give that up. I'm just stuck in my ways. I don't want to see Charlie leave either. I don't think we have much trading leverage to get better offensive players without optioning our pitchers, but like I said earlier, pitching is all we have going for us and I don't want to mess that up. I still want Kemp, but I'm too attached to my guys to let them go. Wilhelmsen was good this year, but after last seasons performance I was ready to gift wrap him and send him away. I think he has a few great pitches when he's on point, but I would be willing to offer him up or maybe even Elias.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#23 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 am

reedmo13 wrote:
Neddy wrote:what do you say if Iwakuma+Furbush was traded for Kemp+Baez? you get the strong right handed power hitter in corner OF and a young power bullpen arm to replace Furbush, while it seems the mariners are determined to trade Iwakuma this off season at all cost, which i don't really get but I would love to see him in dodger blue.

not trying to antagonize anyone but just simply making a suggestion.

I am in no way supportive of trading away Kuma. I understand we have a strong pitching staff, but that wasn't the case for SO many years. Iwakuma has been solid for us for the last few seasons and there is no reason to give that up. I'm just stuck in my ways. I don't want to see Charlie leave either. I don't think we have much trading leverage to get better offensive players without optioning our pitchers, but like I said earlier, pitching is all we have going for us and I don't want to mess that up. I still want Kemp, but I'm too attached to my guys to let them go. Wilhelmsen was good this year, but after last seasons performance I was ready to gift wrap him and send him away. I think he has a few great pitches when he's on point, but I would be willing to offer him up or maybe even Elias.

not really understanding why the Mariners are willing to trade a 32 year old seasoned vet who has proven to be the best option behind Felix in your rotation. I assume this is so because either the M's have no confidence to be able to resign him or they don't think Iwakuma will last the duration of his contract. i can see Iwakuma commanding 100 million, 5year deal in the open market. if the situation is the former, then signing Kyle must have meant that they chose the younger bats man for that money. I would still hang on Iwakuma and run out the contract in case the M's actually do get into the playoffs the same way the Royals did with James Shields.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#24 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:21 pm

now its happening

Code: Select all

Jon Morosi        ✔ @jonmorosi
Follow
#Mariners have had trade talks on multiple RH outfielders, including Matt Kemp, Yoenis Cespedes, and Justin Upton. They want to land one.
9:09 AM - 25 Nov 2014

they are talking Iwakuma to boston for Cespedes. no mention of what they are willing to give up for Kemp. Upton's price is astronomical as the Dirtbags want to rob somebody with Upton's 1 year rental.

now speaking of, Cespedes also expire after next season and is rumored to be paid a king's ransom with the security of a long term contract. if Panda and Hanley got 19-22 million per year range for as long as they got, Yoesenis is going to ask 22- 25 range at 7 years time wise.

Kemp is already signed, 5 more years at 20 to 21 per year. I think Kemp's deal is more secure, easier, and frankly a MVP runner up just a few seasons ago and worth trading Iwakuma for, not another 1 year rental. in fact, talent wise and age wise and impact on your team's lineup wise, I would ask more in return for kemp, especially we are only moving Kemp to you guys.

I just hope the dodgers can move another piece with kemp, say we eat a half of the remaining contract of Carl Crawford and you guys take him too. if you take Kemp and Carl off of us, I won't mind taking on Iwakuma and a mid tier prospect or two and call it good. if it is Kemp alone for Iwakuma, I want Charlie Furbush in return as well.

now Im getting greedy, lol
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#25 » by reedmo13 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Neddy wrote:now its happening

Follow
#Mariners have had trade talks on multiple RH outfielders, including Matt Kemp, Yoenis Cespedes, and Justin Upton. They want to land one.

they are talking Iwakuma to boston for Cespedes. no mention of what they are willing to give up for Kemp. Upton's price is astronomical as the Dirtbags want to rob somebody with Upton's 1 year rental.

now speaking of, Cespedes also expire after next season and is rumored to be paid a king's ransom with the security of a long term contract. if Panda and Hanley got 19-22 million per year range for as long as they got, Yoesenis is going to ask 22- 25 range at 7 years time wise.

Kemp is already signed, 5 more years at 20 to 21 per year. I think Kemp's deal is more secure, easier, and frankly a MVP runner up just a few seasons ago and worth trading Iwakuma for, not another 1 year rental. in fact, talent wise and age wise and impact on your team's lineup wise, I would ask more in return for kemp, especially we are only moving Kemp to you guys.

I just hope the dodgers can move another piece with kemp, say we eat a half of the remaining contract of Carl Crawford and you guys take him too. if you take Kemp and Carl off of us, I won't mind taking on Iwakuma and a mid tier prospect or two and call it good. if it is Kemp alone for Iwakuma, I want Charlie Furbush in return as well.

I don't think I could dislike this anymore. Kuma and Furbush?!?!? You are greedy sir!!!! I'm at a loss. I don't know where to go from here. We need an outfielder that can also provide offense, but the idea of giving up Iwakuma is just terrible. I like him as one of our starters. There has to be another way!!!!!!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#26 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 am

reedmo13 wrote:
Neddy wrote:now its happening

Follow

I don't think I could dislike this anymore. Kuma and Furbush?!?!? You are greedy sir!!!! I'm at a loss. I don't know where to go from here. We need an outfielder that can also provide offense, but the idea of giving up Iwakuma is just terrible. I like him as one of our starters. There has to be another way!!!!!!

well, here are your options.

option A) hang on to all your players, start the season without a power righty and go Cano and Seager back to back, leaving no protection for Cano and without a right handed bat to split them. then watch Iwakuma walk to sign with say, the RedSox.

option B) give up TaiJuan Walker who's last month stat looks like Roger Clemens plus two of your top prospects (which the Dirtbags are asking, top 3 prospects with a major league ready pitcher) for a 1 year rental of Justin Upton

option c) give up Iwakuma to the Redsox who is after him pretty hard, for 1 year rental of Cespedes.

I think if you want to keep Furbush, give the Dodgers Iwakuma, take entire remaining salary of Kemp(which your front office already said they would do) and take on most of Carl Crawford's contract and no need for any other player coming our way.

knowing the Mariner's announced budget the the 2015 season i don't think they are capable of taking on two huge salaries while only giving up 7 going out. only relief pitcher on the mariners roster that can adsorb those contracts is to send Fernando Rodney and his 7 million. would you send your closer away? Charlie, believe it or not, makes the most of all under 1 million bullpen you have. charlie is up for arbitration in 2015. unless Charlie is projected to be the next closer and not resign Fernando for another 7 or probably higher for 2016, Charlie isn't exactly an untouchable player. of course, I would take Rodney any time.

here is one thing, of course i love my dodgers first and do well, but come on, all the other remaining options suck some major balls, lady.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#27 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:57 am

or just cough up the dough for a known steroid user Nelson Cruz and his soon to be 35 year old body. he signed a one year deal after failing to negotiate a long term deal with them, alter getting busted for PED, only to manage to double his career HRs per season.

you give this guy what he wants, a 15 to 20 million dollar deal for at least a 3 year deal, he won't perform the moment he puts on your uniform because he won't want to risk that guaranteed contract and will stop using it. you give this guy a 1 year deal, he will use it for next years contract and won't always get lucky to pass that urine test and be banned for the whole year.

Im saying this as a friend. don't fall the Nelson Cruz. even the Rangers who let a known crackhead Ron Washington to continue to manage, didn't hang on to this guy for a reason. there is a reason why the Orioles even after giving them 40 HRs last year, doesn't seem every interested in signing him back.

then again, nothing the mariners front office does surprised neither of us.
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#28 » by reedmo13 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 am

Neddy wrote:or just cough up the dough for a known steroid user Nelson Cruz and his soon to be 35 year old body. he signed a one year deal after failing to negotiate a long term deal with them, alter getting busted for PED, only to manage to double his career HRs per season.

you give this guy what he wants, a 15 to 20 million dollar deal for at least a 3 year deal, he won't perform the moment he puts on your uniform because he won't want to risk that guaranteed contract and will stop using it. you give this guy a 1 year deal, he will use it for next years contract and won't always get lucky to pass that urine test and be banned for the whole year.

Im saying this as a friend. don't fall the Nelson Cruz. even the Rangers who let a known crackhead Ron Washington to continue to manage, didn't hang on to this guy for a reason. there is a reason why the Orioles even after giving them 40 HRs last year, doesn't seem every interested in signing him back.

Boo to Cruz!! I never wanted him and hopefully our front office is smart enough to take a pass. I think Kemp would be a much smarter decision that Cespedes. No matter what the deal I'm sure I will feel disappointed. Iwakuma is worth a lot so we better get some serious offense in return!!!!!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#29 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 am

reedmo13 wrote:
Neddy wrote:or just cough up the dough for a known steroid user Nelson Cruz and his soon to be 35 year old body. he signed a one year deal after failing to negotiate a long term deal with them, alter getting busted for PED, only to manage to double his career HRs per season.

Boo to Cruz!! I never wanted him and hopefully our front office is smart enough to take a pass. I think Kemp would be a much smarter decision that Cespedes. No matter what the deal I'm sure I will feel disappointed. Iwakuma is worth a lot so we better get some serious offense in return!!!!!

what i still don't get is to why get rid of Iwakuma. I know Walker looks light out from statistical stand point and is projected to be a top 3 of any rotation guy, but Elias and Ramirez gives me no confidence. there is already a report that the mariners will part ways with chris young, so really its Felix-Kuma-Paxton-Walker as your front 4. to dump Chris Young AND Kuma now, your rotation isn't playoffs worthy imo.

I guess a monopoly of being the only baseball team in so many nearby states don't help as much and Mariners are still a small market team, at least in terms of the payroll and the attendance record. dodgers last season pulled in an average of 46,695 fans per game. Mariners pulled in 25,485 per.
I thought the new TV deal was coming next year?
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#30 » by reedmo13 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:00 am

Neddy wrote:
reedmo13 wrote:

what i still don't get is to why get rid of Iwakuma. I know Walker looks light out from statistical stand point and is projected to be a top 3 of any rotation guy, but Elias and Ramirez gives me no confidence. there is already a report that the mariners will part ways with chris young, so really its Felix-Kuma-Paxton-Walker as your front 4. to dump Chris Young AND Kuma now, your rotation isn't playoffs worthy imo.

I guess a monopoly of being the only baseball team in so many nearby states don't help as much and Mariners are still a small market team, at least in terms of the payroll and the attendance record. dodgers last season pulled in an average of 46,695 fans per game. Mariners pulled in 25,485 per.
I thought the new TV deal was coming next year?

I couldn't agree more. Elias and Ramirez showed nothing special this season. I would still like to keep Walker, but at this point I would trade him away eagerly to keep Iwakuma. So how do you feel about gift wrapping Kemp for us and taking Elias and Ramirez off our hands. I know you will be thrilled with that option!!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#31 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:29 am

reedmo13 wrote:I couldn't agree more. Elias and Ramirez showed nothing special this season. I would still like to keep Walker, but at this point I would trade him away eagerly to keep Iwakuma. So how do you feel about gift wrapping Kemp for us and taking Elias and Ramirez off our hands. I know you will be thrilled with that option!!

hmmmmm thats a terrible idea and here is why

---------ERA-----WHIP-----FIP--------H/9------HR/9--------SO/9------W/9
Walker's 2.61------1.289-----3.68-----7.3-------0.5----------8.1---------4.3
Iwakuma's 3.52---1.050-----3.25-----8.4-------1.0----------7.7---------1.1

what that tells you is that Walker is already pretty close to Iwakuma, and surpassed him in "stuff" department, which explains why he already posts lower hits per 9 innings, only a half of what Kuma gives up in terms of HR/9, strikes out more while their fielding independent pitching isn't far apart. Kuma is a control artist and that's what he has over Walker who gives up 4 times more walks per 9 than Hishashi does. however Iwakuma is a finished product with no more ceiling left, he will only regress from here on so the question is how long will he be able to maintain his prime? he has already pitched 15 years of nonstop baseball from Japan, since Koshien run of high school baseball til he got busted doing his sister in law and ran to America lol

Walker on the other hand, is a 21 year old with so much higher ceiling to achieve, maybe even Felix level in 3 years, and he costs next to nothing and is under team control until the end of this decade.

for your Mariner's sake, keep Walker. if you want to give him else where, please send him to the Dodgers lol.
but all jokes aside, a veteran pitcher who is at his best at age 32 is a great addition to a team who wants to make a run at the ring. a young up and coming team needs young arms to grow with.
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#32 » by reedmo13 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:39 am

Neddy wrote:
reedmo13 wrote:I couldn't agree more. Elias and Ramirez showed nothing special this season. I would still like to keep Walker, but at this point I would trade him away eagerly to keep Iwakuma. So how do you feel about gift wrapping Kemp for us and taking Elias and Ramirez off our hands. I know you will be thrilled with that option!!

what that tells you is that Walker is already pretty close to Iwakuma, and surpassed him in "stuff" department, which explains why he already posts lower hits per 9 innings, only a half of what Kuma gives up in terms of HR/9, strikes out more while their fielding independent pitching isn't far apart. Kuma is a control artist and that's what he has over Walker who gives up 4 times more walks per 9 than Hishashi does. however Iwakuma is a finished product with no more ceiling left, he will only regress from here on so the question is how long will he be able to maintain his prime? he has already pitched 15 years of nonstop baseball from Japan, since Koshien run of high school baseball til he got busted doing his sister in law and ran to America lol

Walker on the other hand, is a 21 year old with so much higher ceiling to achieve, maybe even Felix level in 3 years, and he costs next to nothing and is under team control until the end of this decade.

for your Mariner's sake, keep Walker. if you want to give him else where, please send him to the Dodgers lol.
but all jokes aside, a veteran pitcher who is at his best at age 32 is a great addition to a team who wants to make a run at the ring. a young up and coming team needs young arms to grow with.

Stop knowing so much about baseball!!! I hate you...just kidding...mostly
Neddy
RealGM

Post#33 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 am

reedmo13 wrote:
Neddy wrote:

lol it's my pleasure. really nice to talk baseball, or sports in general for that matter, with a lady fan. :)
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#34 » by Neddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:35 am

reedmo13 wrote:

how about Kemp for Iwakuma and Brad Miller? we need a stop gap SS until Corey Seager is ready, but we can move Corey to 3rd and not resign Uribe after next season if we like Miller at SS. he is a slightly above average defensive shortstop who hit .220 for you guys. I think you can afford to move him as your next SS prospect Chris Taylor is ready from Tacoma.
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#35 » by reedmo13 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Neddy wrote:
reedmo13 wrote:

how about Kemp for Iwakuma and Brad Miller? we need a stop gap SS until Corey Seager is ready, but we can move Corey to 3rd and not resign Uribe after next season if we like Miller at SS. he is a slightly above average defensive shortstop who hit .220 for you guys. I think you can afford to move him as your next SS prospect Chris Taylor is ready from Tacoma.

:( I'm emotionally attached to these guys. I'm such a girl!!! I can work with that idea, but I'm still sad at the idea of letting Iwakuma go. I do like Brad Miller too. He does a pretty good job a short, but that's the best use you've had so far. I hope Corey is as good for yiu guys as Kyle is for us.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#36 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:14 am

corey is bigger, taller, stronger, and projected to be better than his older brother Kyle.
ehhhhh f it.
reedmo13
Ballboy

Post#37 » by reedmo13 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:49 am

Neddy wrote:corey is bigger, taller, stronger, and projected to be better than his older brother Kyle.

I'll give you the bigger part, but bite your tongue sir!!!!! It's all in the butt. Big butt Seager (BB). I doubt Corey has that going for him.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#38 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 am

reedmo13 wrote:
Neddy wrote:corey is bigger, taller, stronger, and projected to be better than his older brother Kyle.

I'll give you the bigger part, but bite your tongue sir!!!!! It's all in the butt. Big butt Seager (BB). I doubt Corey has that going for him.

LMAO okay you got me girly
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#39 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:54 am

BTW, when this site's wiretap says Nelson Cruz's market is taking a shape i sure hope it doesn't include the mariners.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#40 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:08 am

would you be okay with Iwakuma and Mike Zunino for Kemp and AJ Ellis?
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Seattle Mariners