ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Draft

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk Nowitzki, HMFFL

User avatar
Jinra
Starter
Posts: 2,019
And1: 109
Joined: May 25, 2010

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#561 » by Jinra » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I like Chris Paul the player, my problem though is if he cannot win with the cast he has in LA, than what does he need??? And can any team provide a better cast than what the Clippers have now.

I would love to have CP3 on my team, but something about his NBA success (or lack thereof) bothers me.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Mr. Clean Slate
Posts: 7,102
And1: 4,003
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#562 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
And yet you'd trade all the youth/assets we have for Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard, two guys who are clearly past their primes with unquestionable selfish/character issues, on way overpaid contracts.

I dont know why i respond to you but im bored at work, yes i will trade noel, powell, and barea for 2 years of howard and melo to compete in dirks twilight, and if u dont think he'd have a much better team rolling out harris, matthews,barnes,melo,dwight, with dirk and seth coming off the bench, than that mess of a team we rolled out this year, u know less about basketball than i thought.


I think you're on an island when it comes to Melo and Dwight. You should ask Porzingis what he thinks about Melo. I want no part of either of those guys in this locker room. Honestly I seriously doubt Dirk does either. And I could guess that Carlisle DEFINITELY wants no part of Melo and Dwight being around his team.

I do think think that there is a chance that the Mavs could end up with Chris Paul though. If the Clippers lose in the 1st round, hell if they don't at very least get to the WC Finals there is a good chance they will blow that team up. Griffin isn't coming to Dallas but I have a feeling that Chris Paul could be talked into coming to Dallas. They may not even have to give up Noel (I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Noel). If (Big if) he decided to play in Dallas it would be because of Dirk.


I wouldn't advocate for melo or dwight simply because the mavs should be trying to stay young and develop more within, but melo gets along great with porzingis and his other teammates. When your starting PG (rose) doesn't get others involved, everyone suffers. The drama and dysfunction surrounding the team is largely due to the nightmare front office in dolan and now phil.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,422
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#563 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I dont know why i respond to you but im bored at work, yes i will trade noel, powell, and barea for 2 years of howard and melo to compete in dirks twilight, and if u dont think he'd have a much better team rolling out harris, matthews,barnes,melo,dwight, with dirk and seth coming off the bench, than that mess of a team we rolled out this year, u know less about basketball than i thought.


I think you're on an island when it comes to Melo and Dwight. You should ask Porzingis what he thinks about Melo. I want no part of either of those guys in this locker room. Honestly I seriously doubt Dirk does either. And I could guess that Carlisle DEFINITELY wants no part of Melo and Dwight being around his team.

I do think think that there is a chance that the Mavs could end up with Chris Paul though. If the Clippers lose in the 1st round, hell if they don't at very least get to the WC Finals there is a good chance they will blow that team up. Griffin isn't coming to Dallas but I have a feeling that Chris Paul could be talked into coming to Dallas. They may not even have to give up Noel (I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Noel). If (Big if) he decided to play in Dallas it would be because of Dirk.


I wouldn't advocate for melo or dwight simply because the mavs should be trying to stay young and develop more within, but melo gets along great with porzingis and his other teammates. When your starting PG (rose) doesn't get others involved, everyone suffers. The drama and dysfunction surrounding the team is largely due to the nightmare front office in dolan and now phil.


If Phil (and Hornacek) isn't careful he's going to ruin Porzingis or force him to look for a new team.
agentofatlas
Ballboy
Posts: 48
And1: 32
Joined: May 23, 2011

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#564 » by agentofatlas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 am

You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

The only players that I''ll trade for is Blake and maybe someone young whose value is down like Jabari but even then they also have their own set of problems.

The Mavs needs to keep this simple. Just draft whoever they want. That's it.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,422
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#565 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 pm

agentofatlas wrote:You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

The only players that I''ll trade for is Blake and maybe someone young whose value is down like Jabari but even then they also have their own set of problems.

The Mavs needs to keep this simple. Just draft whoever they want. That's it.


Some Mavs fans would be willing to take on anyone but I doubt the actual team will. It's clear they are moving in a rebuilding direction. So I doubt the team views guys like Melo and Dwight an option. I even doubt they view Bledsoe as an option because of his injury history. Especially considering their experience with Chandler Parsons. Jabari would be interesting but he plays the same position as Barnes doesn't he? Also I'd say Barnes is better and also doesn't have the injury history that Jabari has.

I agree though that they should just keep it simple and draft the best player available when their pick comes up.
Pinkyring
Senior
Posts: 735
And1: 362
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#566 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

The only players that I''ll trade for is Blake and maybe someone young whose value is down like Jabari but even then they also have their own set of problems.

The Mavs needs to keep this simple. Just draft whoever they want. That's it.


Some Mavs fans would be willing to take on anyone but I doubt the actual team will. It's clear they are moving in a rebuilding direction. So I doubt the team views guys like Melo and Dwight an option. I even doubt they view Bledsoe as an option because of his injury history. Especially considering their experience with Chandler Parsons. Jabari would be interesting but he plays the same position as Barnes doesn't he? Also I'd say Barnes is better and also doesn't have the injury history that Jabari has.

I agree though that they should just keep it simple and draft the best player available when their pick comes up.

Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,422
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#567 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

The only players that I''ll trade for is Blake and maybe someone young whose value is down like Jabari but even then they also have their own set of problems.

The Mavs needs to keep this simple. Just draft whoever they want. That's it.


Some Mavs fans would be willing to take on anyone but I doubt the actual team will. It's clear they are moving in a rebuilding direction. So I doubt the team views guys like Melo and Dwight an option. I even doubt they view Bledsoe as an option because of his injury history. Especially considering their experience with Chandler Parsons. Jabari would be interesting but he plays the same position as Barnes doesn't he? Also I'd say Barnes is better and also doesn't have the injury history that Jabari has.

I agree though that they should just keep it simple and draft the best player available when their pick comes up.

Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.


On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.
Pinkyring
Senior
Posts: 735
And1: 362
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#568 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Some Mavs fans would be willing to take on anyone but I doubt the actual team will. It's clear they are moving in a rebuilding direction. So I doubt the team views guys like Melo and Dwight an option. I even doubt they view Bledsoe as an option because of his injury history. Especially considering their experience with Chandler Parsons. Jabari would be interesting but he plays the same position as Barnes doesn't he? Also I'd say Barnes is better and also doesn't have the injury history that Jabari has.

I agree though that they should just keep it simple and draft the best player available when their pick comes up.

Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.


On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.

Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed
daoneandonly
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,302
And1: 258
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#569 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.


On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.

Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed


No reason to keep justifying when you're the only one thinking this is a good idea, let that sink in before you throw out veiled insults like you don't watch or know anything about basketball. Howard had plenty of issues in Houston, and Pau had no problems with Kobe in LAL, so nobody likes Kobe includes who? Shaq and Dwight? Two guys who have circled the NBA globe because they don't get along with people either.
agentofatlas
Ballboy
Posts: 48
And1: 32
Joined: May 23, 2011

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#570 » by agentofatlas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.


On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.

Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed


Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

But the best move really is to just draft someone. Cheaper too.
Pinkyring
Senior
Posts: 735
And1: 362
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#571 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.

Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed


Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

But the best move really is to just draft someone. Cheaper too.


Blake isnt going to happen, in my scenario we arent losing any picks so we still draft well, this is simply a 2 year plan that keeps us relevant while barnes and our picks develop, then in 2 years 70m comes off the books, all we are paying is barnes and a couple guys on rookie scales who hopefully can play. As for dwight, this season he was 14,13,1 on 63% shooting and per of 20.89 thats still damn good and better than anything we have upfront
agentofatlas
Ballboy
Posts: 48
And1: 32
Joined: May 23, 2011

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#572 » by agentofatlas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed


Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

But the best move really is to just draft someone. Cheaper too.


Blake isnt going to happen, in my scenario we arent losing any picks so we still draft well, this is simply a 2 year plan that keeps us relevant while barnes and our picks develop, then in 2 years 70m comes off the books, all we are paying is barnes and a couple guys on rookie scales who hopefully can play. As for dwight, this season he was 14,13,1 on 63% shooting and per of 20.89 thats still damn good and better than anything we have upfront


I'll still have to pass man. You should probably go to the Atlanta board just to see what this version of Dwight brings defensively. Its not good. Plus,watching the playoffs, Gortat is pretty much outplaying him by a wide margin. I rather we just play our young guys, see what we have and let them grow into their roles.
Mr B
Starter
Posts: 2,422
And1: 439
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#573 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed


Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

But the best move really is to just draft someone. Cheaper too.


Blake isnt going to happen, in my scenario we arent losing any picks so we still draft well, this is simply a 2 year plan that keeps us relevant while barnes and our picks develop, then in 2 years 70m comes off the books, all we are paying is barnes and a couple guys on rookie scales who hopefully can play. As for dwight, this season he was 14,13,1 on 63% shooting and per of 20.89 thats still damn good and better than anything we have upfront


The problem with having Melo on a young team is we won't be able to develop them because Melo likes to dominate the ball. Also he plays basically the same position as Barnes. So Barnes wouldn't get much development. Also I think adding both of them would mean the end for Carlisle in Dallas. I don't think any of us want that.

Like I said, I can understand where you're coming from because on paper it looks like a good team but chemistry wise it would kill our locker room. I disagree completely that it's the coaches job to develop the chemistry. That's totally on the players. If they don't like each other they are not going to play well together.
User avatar
Torgeir Bryn
Junior
Posts: 308
And1: 226
Joined: Jan 20, 2015
   

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#574 » by Torgeir Bryn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 am

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed


Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

But the best move really is to just draft someone. Cheaper too.


Blake isnt going to happen, in my scenario we arent losing any picks so we still draft well, this is simply a 2 year plan that keeps us relevant while barnes and our picks develop, then in 2 years 70m comes off the books, all we are paying is barnes and a couple guys on rookie scales who hopefully can play. As for dwight, this season he was 14,13,1 on 63% shooting and per of 20.89 thats still damn good and better than anything we have upfront


Have you seen him in the playoffs this year? He is getting worked by Gortat.

Return to Dallas Mavericks