Who would YOU like to draft....

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Who would YOU like to draft.... 

Post#21 » by JamesConway » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Out of the players who I expect to be one to be available:

1 Dennis Smith. Obvious choice Imo, if there's one team in the NBA that needs a dynamic playmaker it's us but we've likely played ourselves out of that opportunity

2 Jonathan Isaac. Complementary player on the long run Imo, but wings like that are always a great tool to have. It's rare to see a 6'11 SF be as agile, shifty, skilled and as good a shooter as he is. Would give us tons of options going forward with our frontcourt-lineups.

3 Frank Ntilikina. Imo also a complementary player on the long run, also two way-potential like Isaac. He won't blow anyone away due to his lack of elite quickness, but a versatile 6'5 guard who is crafty, can run the PnR, shoot the ball, has a great BBIQ and brings elite defensive tools to the table is always intrigueing. Just like Isaac he'd give us tons of options going forward at his position(s). That's probably his biggest strength. I could see him being able to make plenty of 2PG-lineups work in his prime. Carlisle would probably love to have him and plug him alongside a smallish, quicker guard.

4 Lauri Markkanen. Really don't get the negativity, Markkanen is extremely polished, brings outstanding BBIQ and is just a terrific stretch four-talent all around. He'll never be the next Dirk, but I have little doubt that he will become an above-average starter one day. I see his ceiling somewhere between Ryan Anderson/late career-Dirk on offense with a good motor. Considering where we'll likely pick that's still very good value.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#22 » by bobsquad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Mavs Big Board v1.0

1. Markelle Fultz, PG Washington
Starting with the slim possibility that we land the #1 overall pick: Fultz will be the selection. He's the best scoring guard prospect to come along in years, he's tall and athletic, and he's pretty efficient. He's versatile enough to play off the ball and should have not only a role but a clear development path.

2. Lonzo Ball, PG UCLA
I've stated in other threads why I prefer Fultz to Ball for the Mavs (I don't think this is the ideal development environment for him). But I don't the Mavs pass up a guy so frequently billed as "the next Jason Kidd" if he's available.

3. Josh Jackson, SF Kansas
Another guy unlikely to be available, but I doubt we'd pass him up. Jackson has an all-around game frequently compared to Kawhi Leonard and would be a high-potential piece as our 3 of the future. I'm more than a bit concerned about his shot, though.

4. Jonathan Isaac, SF Florida State
The last "if he's available" guy, Jonathan Isaac wasn't as high-performing as a college player, but he efficiently averaged 12/8 on NBA-ready percentages. A former guard who hit a growth spurt, Isaac is a crazy mismatch as a 6'11" small forward. Not only the best player available at this point, he would also bring much-needed length and athleticism to the lineup.

5. Frank Ntilikina, PG France
Now the guy we're actually targeting: legend says (by which I mean unverified internet sources) that Ntilikina is a true point guard who stands 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan. He's quick and athletic, experienced playing the pick and roll with grown men, and his play has an incredibly high ceiling on both side of the ball. However, his game isn't ready to face NBA defenses. Philadelphia, New York, and Sacramento could be interested in taking him before the Mavs pick, though that's purely my speculation.

6. De'Aaron Fox, PG Kentucky
An athletic point guard who excels on defense and doesn't turn the ball over much, coming out of a good program. Fox is sure to be a good player in the league, but not necessarily a great one due to his lack of a shot. Potential ranges from Elfrid Payton to John Wall.

7. Lauri Markannen, PF Arizona
Not a fan of this prospect for the Mavs, but I expect Cuban to be enamored with him. Undeniably good shooter. Currently not athletic enough to play the 4, but a liability on defense at the 5. Coming out of an Arizona program that has produced nothing but overhyped lotto picks over the past decade (Jerryd Bayless, Jordan Hill, Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson).

8. Zach Collins, C Gonzaga
Mobile 7 footer who can protect the rim and knock down shots from mid range and behind the 3 point line. A good roll man, he could conceivably play the 4 in our offense next to Noel. His potential is a lot for any team to pass up.

9. Malik Monk, SG Kentucky
Undersized guard who by all indications will be a lights out shooter in the league. Could be compared to a more athletic Seth Curry. Lacks experience playing the point, though.

10. Dennis Smith, PG NC State
Smith is a good prospect but I'm not sold on his style of play for the Mavs. I think he compares well to Damian Lillard. His point guard skills aren't fully developed yet, and he would not get a good chance to develop under Carlisle.

11. Jarrett Allen, C Texas
Two words: Brandan Wright. Allen is that mobile center who blocks shots and is extremely effective around the rim.

12. Jayson Tatum, SF Duke
While I expect the Mavs to draft the "best player available", drafting an ISO-heavy forward whose overlaps so much with Barnes isn't going to happen. And at what point is Tatum the best player available anyways? None of his skills are super special and his on-the-ball skills may not translate to the NBA.

13. Justin Jackson, SF North Carolina
Donnie and Cuban historically favoring upperclassmen, you have to think that we look at the lone upperclassman in lottery consideration. Jackson reminds me a lot of another Justin that we drafted in past years. A late bloomer with a similarly enticing skillset but the same red flag as Justin Anderson, shooting percentages that only became respectable in year 3.

14. OG Anunoby, SF Indiana
Kind of a wildcard on this list, Anunoby's stock will either shoot up to lottery consideration or tank into undrafted territory depending on how he shows up in physicals and warm ups. A raw Al-Farouq Aminu with a higher ceiling.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#23 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Devassa wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:
Devassa wrote:If we traded down and ended up getting Collins and another first rounder for next year, that's a great draft. I think we get Smith at 9 though, and I would be extremely happy if that happens

Trading down and getting Collins AND a 1st year has zero % chance to happen. It's just wishful thinking on your part. I can't see the Knicks and the Kings passing on Smith. Both are in desperate need of a PG. there's a chance philly takes smith before either team has a chance.

If we can trade our #9 pick for the #13 pick (Denver) and their 2018 1st (Collins may still be available there)... Good deal for both sides

They're going to trade next years 1st rd pick to move up 9 spots?? Not a good deal for Denver at all. I don't understand how you think they would do that. For who? Markkanan?
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#24 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:14 pm

bobsquad wrote:Mavs Big Board v1.0

Starting with the slim possibility that we land the #1 overall pick: Fultz will be the selection. He's the best scoring guard prospect to come along in years, he's tall and athletic, and he's pretty efficient. He's versatile enough to play off the ball and should have not only a role but a clear development path.

2. Lonzo Ball, PG UCLA
I've stated in other threads why I prefer Fultz to Ball for the Mavs (I don't think this is the ideal development environment for him). But I don't the Mavs pass up a guy so frequently billed as "the next Jason Kidd" if he's available.

Another guy unlikely to be available, but I doubt we'd pass him up. Jackson has an all-around game frequently compared to Kawhi Leonard and would be a high-potential piece as our 3 of the future. I'm more than a bit concerned about his shot, though.

The last "if he's available" guy, Jonathan Isaac wasn't as high-performing as a college player, but he efficiently averaged 12/8 on NBA-ready percentages. A former guard who hit a growth spurt, Isaac is a crazy mismatch as a 6'11" small forward. Not only the best player available at this point, he would also bring much-needed length and athleticism to the lineup.

Now the guy we're actually targeting: legend says (by which I mean unverified internet sources) that Ntilikina is a true point guard who stands 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan. He's quick and athletic, experienced playing the pick and roll with grown men, and his play has an incredibly high ceiling on both side of the ball. However, his game isn't ready to face NBA defenses. Philadelphia, New York, and Sacramento could be interested in taking him before the Mavs pick, though that's purely my speculation.

An athletic point guard who excels on defense and doesn't turn the ball over much, coming out of a good program. Fox is sure to be a good player in the league, but not necessarily a great one due to his lack of a shot. Potential ranges from Elfrid Payton to John Wall.

Not a fan of this prospect for the Mavs, but I expect Cuban to be enamored with him. Undeniably good shooter. Currently not athletic enough to play the 4, but a liability on defense at the 5. Coming out of an Arizona program that has produced nothing but overhyped lotto picks over the past decade (Jerryd Bayless, Jordan Hill, Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson).

Mobile 7 footer who can protect the rim and knock down shots from mid range and behind the 3 point line. A good roll man, he could conceivably play the 4 in our offense next to Noel. His potential is a lot for any team to pass up.

Undersized guard who by all indications will be a lights out shooter in the league. Could be compared to a more athletic Seth Curry. Lacks experience playing the point, though.

Smith is a good prospect but I'm not sold on his style of play for the Mavs. I think he compares well to Damian Lillard. His point guard skills aren't fully developed yet, and he would not get a good chance to develop under Carlisle.

Two words: Brandan Wright. Allen is that mobile center who blocks shots and is extremely effective around the rim.

While I expect the Mavs to draft the "best player available", drafting an ISO-heavy forward whose overlaps so much with Barnes isn't going to happen. And at what point is Tatum the best player available anyways? None of his skills are super special and his on-the-ball skills may not translate to the NBA.

Donnie and Cuban historically favoring upperclassmen, you have to think that we look at the lone upperclassman in lottery consideration. Jackson reminds me a lot of another Justin that we drafted in past years. A late bloomer with a similarly enticing skillset but the same red flag as Justin Anderson, shooting percentages that only became respectable in year 3.

Kind of a wildcard on this list, Anunoby's stock will either shoot up to lottery consideration or tank into undrafted territory depending on how he shows up in physicals and warm ups. A raw Al-Farouq Aminu with a higher ceiling.

Very interesting synopsis and I agree 100% on your top 4. However I have to ask you on the #5, so this is a guy that averages like 5.2 points and 1.7 assists a game against subpar competition, how does that even remotely translate to pure PG at the NBA level?
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#25 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:17 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:Wes is the kind of player Tibs really likes so if we try to make a trade with the T-Wolves we should definitely put Matthews in the package.

I'm all for trading Wes, he's garbage, which means no way he get a lottery pick for him, we'd have to be the ones adding incentive to dump Mr. 3 for 10.

Agreed. Would love to get rid of that salary. Love his tough play on D, but his ill advised shots lost many a game for us last year.

Good to see another Bills fan in the house. I'm from Buffalo originally, die hard Bills fan since birth in '74. Who are you hoping the Bills draft this year? Are you on the TwoBillsDrive message boards?
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#26 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Black Falcon wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:Wes is the kind of player Tibs really likes so if we try to make a trade with the T-Wolves we should definitely put Matthews in the package.

I'm all for trading Wes, he's garbage, which means no way he get a lottery pick for him, we'd have to be the ones adding incentive to dump Mr. 3 for 10.

Agreed. Would love to get rid of that salary. Love his tough play on D, but his ill advised shots lost many a game for us last year.

Good to see another Bills fan in the house. I'm from Buffalo originally, die hard Bills fan since birth in '74. Who are you hoping the Bills draft this year? Are you on the TwoBillsDrive message boards?

Haha easy mistake, it's actually the Howard Bison, very similar to the Bills. I don't really have an NFL team, I'm more a full fledged Redskin hater, but I'd like to see the Bills do well.
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#27 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 pm

bobsquad wrote:Mavs Big Board v1.0

2. Lonzo Ball, PG UCLA

Nkilikina over Fox and Smith? Maybe if we're looking to add a potential defensive stopper but his offensive game is light years behind fox and smith due to his lack of speed. I'd run to the podium if fox or smith was somehow there (which I highly doubt either will be available unless we win the lottery) while I'd be taking my time and explore trade if ntilikina is the guy
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#28 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Haha easy mistake, it's actually the Howard Bison, very similar to the Bills. I don't really have an NFL team, I'm more a full fledged Redskin hater, but I'd like to see the Bills do well.

Ahhhhhhh ok. Was just shocked to see a Bills logo on a Mavs site.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#29 » by Devassa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Black Falcon wrote:
Devassa wrote:
Black Falcon wrote: Trading down and getting Collins AND a 1st year has zero % chance to happen. It's just wishful thinking on your part. I can't see the Knicks and the Kings passing on Smith. Both are in desperate need of a PG. there's a chance philly takes smith before either team has a chance.

If we can trade our #9 pick for the #13 pick (Denver) and their 2018 1st (Collins may still be available there)... Good deal for both sides

They're going to trade next years 1st rd pick to move up 9 spots?? Not a good deal for Denver at all. I don't understand how you think they would do that. For who? Markkanan?

Yes, for Markkanen. Hear me out.

Denver is a sure fire playoff team next year IMO, so trading next years 1st rounder isn't as scary as it initially sounds only because it will likely not even be in the top 20 in 2018. They need to make a move for a PF, since that is their weak point and unlikely they'll take a PG 3 years in a row. Not to mention they have a lot of success with foreign players recently (Jokic, Hernangomez, Gallinari) so Markkanen seems like a likely target. It's not as crazy as it sounds, especially if they want him in a Nuggets uniform
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#30 » by Jinra » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:22 pm

I still say best available, while leaning towards a guard.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#31 » by feyki » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Carlisle loves guards.And I liked Smith most of the guards in the draft.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#32 » by Pinkyring » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 pm

I really dont have a preference i just hope he gets minutes, id prefer a gusrd so i never have to watch jj barea play again
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#33 » by k-lynch201 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 am

I would like to trade up for Fultz. But I dont see much possibility in that happening.

Smith seems like best case scenario to fall to 9 if we keep that number.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Post#34 » by Baz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:54 am

I'll take Dennis Smith in a heartbeat if he's still available. If not then Markkanen. Not interested in anyone else.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#35 » by Devassa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 am

Baz wrote:I'll take Dennis Smith in a heartbeat if he's still available. If not then Markkanen. Not interested in anyone else.

Agreed. Not really interested in Ntilikina at all... I hate to stereotype, but foreign guards typically underwhelm in the NBA (except Nash... if we are counting Canada) and I don't see him being very effective here beyond being an energy guy off the bench.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#36 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:11 am

JamesConway wrote:Out of the players who I expect to be one to be available:

1 Dennis Smith. Obvious choice Imo, if there's one team in the NBA that needs a dynamic playmaker it's us but we've likely played ourselves out of that opportunity

2 Jonathan Isaac. Complementary player on the long run Imo, but wings like that are always a great tool to have. It's rare to see a 6'11 SF be as agile, shifty, skilled and as good a shooter as he is. Would give us tons of options going forward with our frontcourt-lineups.

3 Frank Ntilikina. Imo also a complementary player on the long run, also two way-potential like Isaac. He won't blow anyone away due to his lack of elite quickness, but a versatile 6'5 guard who is crafty, can run the PnR, shoot the ball, has a great BBIQ and brings elite defensive tools to the table is always intrigueing. Just like Isaac he'd give us tons of options going forward at his position(s). That's probably his biggest strength. I could see him being able to make plenty of 2PG-lineups work in his prime. Carlisle would probably love to have him and plug him alongside a smallish, quicker guard.

4 Lauri Markkanen. Really don't get the negativity, Markkanen is extremely polished, brings outstanding BBIQ and is just a terrific stretch four-talent all around. He'll never be the next Dirk, but I have little doubt that he will become an above-average starter one day. I see his ceiling somewhere between Ryan Anderson/late career-Dirk on offense with a good motor. Considering where we'll likely pick that's still very good value.

We know the top 4 are locked in (Fultz, Ball, Jackson & Tatum), though I think there is a chance that Tatum could slip to #5. Either way, none of these guys will get to #9. Not a chance.

I DO think we need to consider Fox and Monk falling. Now if Fox shows any signs of a jumper at the draft combine, there isn't a chance he gets to us, but if he struggles, that could scare some teams off (Minny has two PGs who cannot shoot, NY is running the triangle). It's still unlikely (I cannot imagine Sacramento would pass on Fox), but just throwing it out there with 2-months before the draft. Monk is much more likely as there isn't a great fit after Philly at #4. If Philly ends up with Los Angeles pick, then it's very likely Monk would be one of their two picks.

Taking out the "Top 4", here's my wish list:

1. Dennis Smith
2. De'Aaron Fox
3. Frank Ntilikina
4. Lauri Markkanen
5. Jonathan Isaac
6. Malik Monk
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#37 » by Suka Bongcic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 am

The Knicks and the Kings NEED a pg. Both of them are desperately in need of a floor leader. Anyone that thinks Fox will fall to us is living in an alternate universe. It's NOT happening. Zero Chance. Our only hope is Smith being passed up by the Kings. While more likely than Flx falling to us, it's still a pipe dream imo.

So back on subject. If the players mentioned in the original post are gone, who do you want to draft? Smith is already taken in this scenario, just like he will be in real life when the draft takes place, unless we take a top 3 spot in the lottery
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#38 » by Suka Bongcic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

Devassa wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:
Devassa wrote:

Yes, for Markkanen. Hear me out.

Denver is a sure fire playoff team next year IMO, so trading next years 1st rounder isn't as scary as it initially sounds only because it will likely not even be in the top 20 in 2018. They need to make a move for a PF, since that is their weak point and unlikely they'll take a PG 3 years in a row. Not to mention they have a lot of success with foreign players recently (Jokic, Hernangomez, Gallinari) so Markkanen seems like a likely target. It's not as crazy as it sounds, especially if they want him in a Nuggets uniform

We can revisit this come draft when the nuggets don't trade us their 1st rd pick in 17 and 18 to move up 4 spots. It's not happening. Zero chance
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#39 » by Pinkyring » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Devassa wrote:
Baz wrote:I'll take Dennis Smith in a heartbeat if he's still available. If not then Markkanen. Not interested in anyone else.

Agreed. Not really interested in Ntilikina at all... I hate to stereotype, but foreign guards typically underwhelm in the NBA (except Nash... if we are counting Canada) and I don't see him being very effective here beyond being an energy guy off the bench.

Well if parker manu and shroeder underwhelmed sign me up
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#40 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Devassa wrote:

The issue I have with him is his stats are horrendous and his competition is nowhere near NBA level, I don't see how a guy who averages 5 points and not even 2 assists against non NBA talent can have so much upside.

Return to Dallas Mavericks