Mavs Trade Thread, Around the NBA Discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Re: Mavs Trade Thread, Around the NBA Discussion 

Post#701 » by Dirk » Thu Aug 4, 2016 4:17 pm

Orlando traded Oladipo + the 11th pick of the draft for Ibaka. Now you offer Powell + OKC's pick (which is very likely to be worse than the 11th pick). The only way Orlando trades Ibaka is if they get some ridiculous offer. He is also an expiring, meaning... he is going to be wanting a max salary when there are questions about his physical decline and age .

Robertson probably has more trade value on his own than Matthews and they won't trade him.
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#702 » by Darren » Fri Aug 5, 2016 1:18 am

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:Orlando traded Oladipo + the 11th pick of the draft for Ibaka. Now you offer Powell + OKC's pick (which is very likely to be worse than the 11th pick). The only way Orlando trades Ibaka is if they get some ridiculous offer. He is also an expiring, meaning... he is going to be wanting a max salary when there are questions about his physical decline and age .

Robertson probably has more trade value on his own than Matthews and they won't trade him.

I can see your point on Ibaka. However, I disagree with Andre Robertson. At this point, Robertson is still significantly less two-wayed as a player compared with Matthews. And Enes Kanter is still a huge burden that requires assets to move him. He's a trade kicker in his deal.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Fan calls Harden a flopper gets under his skin LOL 

Post#703 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:05 am

Darren
RealGM

Post#704 » by Darren » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:47 am

Terry Rozier of Boston, anyone?
6-2, 6-8 wingspan
Excellent speed and lateral quickness (can operate at different speed)
Excellent defender and rebounder (thanks to 6-8 wingspan and excellent speed; 7 rebounds per 36 mins)
Great assist-turnover ratio (3:1)
Can make clutch shots
Solid all-rounded number on NBDL

Can shoot but not scoring too efficiently. (41-30-77 in college; 20-29-80 in NBA)

From the trade board, he could be available. My offer is Powell-Harris for Johnson-Rozier. We get solid defenders in 4 and 1. Rozier has good potential to be a starting PG/SG combo.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#705 » by Dirk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Darren wrote:Terry Rozier of Boston, anyone?
6-2, 6-8 wingspan
Excellent defender and rebounder (thanks to 6-8 wingspan and excellent speed; 7 rebounds per 36 mins)
Can make clutch shots

Can shoot but not scoring too efficiently. (41-30-77 in college; 20-29-80 in NBA)

From the trade board, he could be available. My offer is Powell-Harris for Johnson-Rozier. We get solid defenders in 4 and 1. Rozier has good potential to be a starting PG/SG combo.

You have to look at trades from the other teams perspective. Why would the Celtics do that trade? It doesn't make them better now ( Johnson is a very important player in their rotation) or in the future.
60/21/10
Chuck-Cheese
Senior
And1: 230

Post#706 » by Chuck-Cheese » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:23 am

6-2, 6-8 wingspan
Can make clutch shots

this trade looks to be very one sided. Just curious why you think Boston would ever consider this? can aee this trade improving their team at all.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,703

Post#707 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Darren,

yeah you got to consider both sides mate. Amir is worht more than Powell and Rozier is worth more than Harris. This doesn't make Boston better in the short-term, costs them an asset, and reduces future flexibility by taking on long-term money on fringe rotation players at best for them. It's awful for them.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#708 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Darren wrote:So will we make trade talks with OKC once Westbrook gets re-signed. I can see a Matthews deal for good reasons. They need threat from arc in starting lineup. They want to move Kanter to re-sign both Adams and Oladipo. However, I am not really a fan of Kanter. We have to get incentives to be involved. I like Robertson and Payne. But still, I think it's not enough for us to take on Kanter who's clearly a bad fit next to Dirk. Age-wise, all of them are young. We want some young legs on 1 and 5 for sure.

My proposed idea is: Wes Matthews + Devin Harris + GSW's 2019 2nd for Enes Kanter + Andre Robertson + Cameron Payne + OKC's next available 1st. Then, I'll trade Dwight Powell and OKC's next available 1st to Orlando for Serge Ibaka. We'll likely put another ball-handler in the starting lineup after that.

C - Serge Ibaka / Andre Bogut / Salah Mejri / AJ Hammons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Enes Kanter / Quincy Acy
SF - Harrison Barnes / Justin Anderson
SG - Jose Barea / Andre Robertson / Jonathan Gibson
PG - Deron Williams / Seth Curry / Cameron Payne

There are not enough no's in the universe for this. From both OKC and Orlando.
Darren
RealGM

Post#709 » by Darren » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm

4-way:
Dallas gets: Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Vince Carter, Brandan Wright, Indiana's first
Indiana gets: Wes Matthews, Dallas's second
Pheonix gets: Dwight Powell, Devin Harris, Ronny Stuckey
Memphis gets: TJ Tucker, Jose Barea

WHY FOR DALLAS? Get all the right pieces back. Get a great mentor to Barnes and Anderson. Get a pick as well.
WHY FOR INDIANA? Get a top-notch defender in Wes to compete against Lebron in the East.
WHY FOR PHEONIX? Trade TC for young piece and expiring. Open up minutes for Alex Len.
WHY FOR MEMPHIS? Get depth for potential injury crisis for both Parsons and Conley.

The Mavs gets all the right piece fitting well with Rick Carlisie:
C - Andrew Bogut / Tyson Chandler / Salah Merji / AJ Hammons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Brandan Wright / Quincy Acy
SF - Harrison Barnes / Justin Anderson / Vince Carter
SG - Monta Ellis / Jonathan Gibson / Justin Anderson
PG - Deron Williams / Seth Curry / Jonathan Gibson

After the trade, we don't need to ask:
1. Can Bogut stay healthy all season long? We now have Chandler, Wright and Merji for big help.
2. Who're Dirk's backup? Can Acy fit this need at only 6-7? We now have Barnes, Wright and Acy in mix.
3. Where's the minutes for Justin Anderson? Now that Anderson can play more when the team need defender and energy guy.
4. What if Barnes fails to learn playmaking this season? We now have Ellis and VC for this role. He can play more off-ball.
5. Can Barnes succeed as a 1st/2nd option? He's now 3rd/4th option. He can learn at his own pace.
6. Where're the minutes for Seth Curry and Gibson? Now that both Harris and Barea are moved, they get big minutes now.
7. Who can take the ball on the floor to utilize the excellent spacing? We now have 2 playmakers on the floor any time.
8. Can RC ride with rookies? We don't need to play much rookies now. Hammons is d-league bound. Newcomers are familiar with RC's system.
9. Who can take the clutch shots? Technically, we now have Dirk, VC, Ellis, DWill along with a lob-target in clutch time.
10. Can AJ Hammons contribute immediately? We don't need him to contribute immediately now.

The Mavs should be able to get 50+ wins in Dirk's final 2 seasons. And they can get to 3-6 seeds for a second round playoff series.

This team averages 102.8 PPG, 42.6 RPG (10.2 OFF), 19.9 APG, 7.2 SPG, 6.0 BPG along with only 12.1 TO and 19.6 PF per game. They shoot 51.0%-36.5%-75.7% from 2P, 3P and FT. That's solid stats for a playoff team. If Barnes, Anderson, Gibson and Curry improve moderately, then those stats may go off the chart.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#710 » by Dirk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Darren wrote:4-way:
Dallas gets: Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Vince Carter, Brandan Wright, Indiana's first
Indiana gets: Wes Matthews, Dallas's second
Pheonix gets: Dwight Powell, Devin Harris, Ronny Stuckey
Memphis gets: TJ Tucker, Jose Barea

WHY FOR DALLAS? Get all the right pieces back. Get a great mentor to Barnes and Anderson. Get a pick as well.
WHY FOR INDIANA? Get a top-notch defender in Wes to compete against Lebron in the East.
WHY FOR PHEONIX? Trade TC for young piece and expiring. Open up minutes for Alex Len.
WHY FOR MEMPHIS? Get depth for potential injury crisis for both Parsons and Conley.

The Mavs gets all the right piece fitting well with Rick Carlisie:
C - Andrew Bogut / Tyson Chandler / Salah Merji / AJ Hammons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Brandan Wright / Quincy Acy
SG - Monta Ellis / Jonathan Gibson / Justin Anderson
PG - Deron Williams / Seth Curry / Jonathan Gibson

Phoenix has the young guys at 4 plus Dudley as a stretch 4. They also would be left with too many guards. Indiana would be unlikely to send a 1st round pick.

From a Mavs perspective, I would rather just ride out Matthews for another year. Ellis was awful with the Pacers as well, so there's a risk that he simply declined and will be worse. Philosophically the Mavs look like they have tried to get younger and more physical, bringing those old bodies back defeats that purpose.

Barea and Harris are underrated a bit when I look at that bench now. Barea won games for the Mavs when he stepped up last year. None of those two guys behind Williams are even point guards. You can't trade both Barea away. You need a good backup and you need someone who can start for the inevitable games that Williams will miss.
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM

Post#711 » by Darren » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:28 pm

What about a Dallas-Milwaukee deal?

Dallas trades: Deron Williams, Dwight Powell, Devin Harris
Dallas receives: Greg Monroe, Michael Carter-Williams, Michael Beasley

Then we surround MCW with great shooters and lob-target. And we create mismatches and run some post-up and isolation off bench.

C - Andrew Bogut / Greg Monroe or Salan Merji / AJ Hammons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Michael Beasley / Quincy Acy
SG - Wes Matthews / Seth Curry / Jonathan Gibson
PG - Michael Carter-Williams / Jose Barea

We can push the tempo more often with MCW playing 2. We eat onto Monroe's contract to get a legitimate young PG. We get younger after that deal. Of course, I think we may force to bench either Matthews or Barnes in favor of another PG to boost our efficiency. That is, we will likely bench Beasley more than expected for a small ball lineup with Barnes playing 4 along with either Matthews or Anderson. In this way, we can bring our combo guards (Seth Curry, Jose Barea and Jonathan Gibson) on court more often to tackle the problem of offense dought. Beasley actually plays more in back-to-back games. And we'll dictate match up at 5 more often to utilize both Merji and Monroe. Acy could be a stretch 4 or even stretch 5 to energize the team.

SG - Michael Carter-Williams / Wes Matthews / Jonathan Gibson
PG - Seth Curry / Jose Barea

However, rebounding continue to be a problem for the Mavs when both Bogut and Dirk are not on court. I think that's why Merji is still very useful player on the team. He sounds like a new Desagana Diop. We need our backcourts to pick up more rebounds due to that particular roster set. Maybe we trade Matthews to Indiana for Monta and a pick; with something to a third team which sends an expiring SF to the Mavs. In this way, we get some rooms to operate by the offseason. Maybe CJ Miles or Vince Carter as a piece coming back. I prefer VC due to his skillsets. We need somebody who can make big play big time.

SG - Michael Carter-Williams / Monta Ellis / Jonathan Gibson
Darren
RealGM

Post#712 » by Darren » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Or make it a four-way to begin with:

Dallas Mavericks
In: Greg Monroe, Michael Carter-Williams, Monta Ellis, Brandan Wright, Vince Carter, Indy's 2nd
Out: Wesley Matthews, Deron Williams, Dwight Powell, Devin Harris
Gets younger with more playmaking options

Milwaukee Bucks
In: Deron Williams, Dwight Powell
Out: Greg Monroe, Michael Carter-Williams
The Bucks get rid of Monroe's contract and a PG doesn't fit them while replacing them with more functional ones.

Indiana Pacers
In: Wesley Matthews
Out: Monta Ellis, C.J. Miles, Indy's 2nd
Indiana gets a 2-wayed 3-and-D defensive ace against the likes of Lebron

Memphis Grizzlies
In: Devin Harris, C.J. Miles
Out: Brandan Wright, Vince Carter
Fill the hole at 2 with Miles. Get an expiring for Wright.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#713 » by Dirk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Darren wrote:What about a Dallas-Milwaukee deal?

Dallas trades: Deron Williams, Dwight Powell, Devin Harris
Dallas receives: Greg Monroe, Michael Carter-Williams, Michael Beasley

Then we surround MCW with great shooters and lob-target. And we create mismatches and run some post-up and isolation off bench.

SG - Wes Matthews / Seth Curry / Jonathan Gibson
PG - Michael Carter-Williams / Jose Barea

We can push the tempo more often with MCW playing 2. We eat onto Monroe's contract to get a legitimate young PG. We get younger after that deal. Of course, I think we may force to bench either Matthews or Barnes in favor of another PG to boost our efficiency. That is, we will likely bench Beasley more than expected for a small ball lineup with Barnes playing 4 along with either Matthews or Anderson. In this way, we can bring our combo guards (Seth Curry, Jose Barea and Jonathan Gibson) on court more often to tackle the problem of offense dought. Beasley actually plays more in back-to-back games. And we'll dictate match up at 5 more often to utilize both Merji and Monroe. Acy could be a stretch 4 or even stretch 5 to energize the team.

SG - Michael Carter-Williams / Wes Matthews / Jonathan Gibson

However, rebounding continue to be a problem for the Mavs when both Bogut and Dirk are not on court. I think that's why Merji is still very useful player on the team. He sounds like a new Desagana Diop. We need our backcourts to pick up more rebounds due to that particular roster set. Maybe we trade Matthews to Indiana for Monta and a pick; with something to a third team which sends an expiring SF to the Mavs. In this way, we get some rooms to operate by the offseason. Maybe CJ Miles or Vince Carter as a piece coming back. I prefer VC due to his skillsets. We need somebody who can make big play big time.

SG - Michael Carter-Williams / Monta Ellis / Jonathan Gibson

I would not make that trade from a Mavs perspective. MCW can't shoot, he needs the ball in his hands... and we all know from experience what it's like to have a non shooter at PG. I actually wouldn't mind him as an experiment if his price was really cheap, say Devin Harris straight up and throw in a 2nd maybe. MCW/Barea at PG is terrible. It's not like Deron Williams is reliable, but he's still the better option at this point. If I were the Bucks, I would do the trade. Williams and Dellavedova can play together, so they soften the blow of losing Middleton.
60/21/10
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#714 » by tribulations » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:33 pm

6-2, 6-8 wingspan
Can make clutch shots

I really like Rozier, we just don't have the pieces.

In the meantime maybe we can pick up another Celtics reject, RJ Hunter?

Archie Goodwin is low risk high reward as well.
Darren
RealGM

Post#715 » by Darren » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:26 am

What about Wes Matthews and 2 firsts for John Wall?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#716 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:25 am

Darren wrote:What about Wes Matthews and 2 firsts for John Wall?

Why would the Wizards do that?
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#717 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:22 am

Makes no sense for the Wizards to trade their best player, without getting anything they need back.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#718 » by Dirk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:59 am

Mr B wrote:

Yeah. Darren, when coming up with a trade idea, put yourself on the other team's shoes. Think hard about whether you would do the trade and then explain their reasons. This is why coming up with trade ideas is very tough. 90% of cases, it always feels like one side is clearly winning.
60/21/10
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#719 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yeah. Darren, when coming up with a trade idea, put yourself on the other team's shoes. Think hard about whether you would do the trade and then explain their reasons. This is why coming up with trade ideas is very tough. 90% of cases, it always feels like one side is clearly winning.
+1
Exactly, it's like saying let's trade Andrew Bogut and 2 1sts to Indy for Myles Turner because we want to get younger and better. Trades that happen usually are the ones that look bad for both sides at the time.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Post#720 » by Baz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:12 pm

I hope Darren was joking.

Return to Dallas Mavericks