ImageImageImage

Mavs Trade Thread, Around the NBA Discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Sagittaron
Senior
And1: 150

Mavs Trade Thread, Around the NBA Discussion 

Post#1 » by Sagittaron » Sun Nov 3, 2013 4:58 am

Thought it would be a good idea to expand the trade thread and simply include general talk about other teams, other players, propose trade ideas and general news from around the league.

2016 FREE AGENT TRACKER
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/nba-free-agency-signings-rumors-tracker-deals

2016/17 DEPTH CHARTS
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/depth-charts
............................................................................................................
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: Mavericks Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by JES12 » Sun Nov 3, 2013 5:47 am

I'm not a fan of this (other Mav fans may). I know Toronto fans won't like it either. I also see many teams offering Toronto more than this for that same package.

I guess my dis-like is centered around two main facts and one opinion: One, we can't afford to make a hole at the SF & PF spot for a SG and Amir, like Bair, is a PF trying to make it in this league as an extremely undersized center - and redundant. Two Dallas is set to be around $28 mil under the cap next year (assuming $60 mil cap) before re-signing Dirk. If this trade goes down, $16.85 mil of that would be eaten up already and they are not franchise guys leaving Dirk and free agents splitting $11 mil. The opinion part is that while most see Derozen as a great player, I see him more of a Josh Howard/Jeff Green type. That is someone who can put up 20, but doesn't really do much to help you win. Not saying empty stats, but he is not the guy that can help your team win 10 more games than some random guy (i.e. Ellington level) taking those same minutes with other guys taking the shots. Not clutch. Not dependable. Not a great passer. Not a great defender. Nothing real valuable. I'm not sure I would even slate him as a starter over Ellis unless he plays SF.
clkdtm32
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by clkdtm32 » Sun Nov 3, 2013 4:17 pm

That's a good start, I am so glad that Mavs' fans want VC go. Thank you to support my suggestion that I always give. After trading, TOR will cut VC and he can go to the contender. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dyl15
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#4 » by dyl15 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 12:47 am

Heat might accept a jae crowder for LBJ deal

Sent from my GT-I9300T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Raptorel
Starter
And1: 50

Post#5 » by Raptorel » Mon Nov 4, 2013 8:52 am

dyl15 wrote:Heat might accept a jae crowder for LBJ deal

Sent from my GT-I9300T using RealGM Forums mobile app

It depends. What do they have to offer us?
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
Sagittaron
Senior

Post#6 » by Sagittaron » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:51 am

clkdtm32 wrote:That's a good start, I am so glad that Mavs' fans want VC go. Thank you to support my suggestion that I always give. After trading, TOR will cut VC and he can go to the contender. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A trade for our 2 expirings (Marion and VC) for Luol Deng (also a 14 mil expiring) is feasible salary wise. I am pretty sure Chicago is reluctant to re-sign Deng because they don't want to be repeat offenders tax wise. Then again if we want Deng in our team we can always pursue him as a free agent next summer
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#7 » by 2011Champs » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:18 pm

I wouldn't look to trade any rotation player on the team at this point in the season.
Maybe closer to the trade deadline I would look at another team trying to dump salary to steal a good player for pennies on the dollar.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#8 » by Jinra » Mon Nov 4, 2013 5:50 pm

^^^^ This

More lucrative offers later.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,397

Post#9 » by gottamakeit » Tue Nov 5, 2013 9:07 pm

rather than deng, we could go after Hayward who likely wont receive an extension from the Jazz ( go after him during free agency not now )
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#10 » by Darren » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:27 pm

I think Deng is the closest answer to our need. For this season, I would put the priority that way:

1. Elite defender at 2/3. Stephen Jackson or DeShawn Stevenson may be all we can land. I am disappointed about Ellington's defense and perimeter percentage. We got toyed repeatedly by James Harden, Kevin Martin and OJ Mayo. We ain't going anywhere without an elite defender at 2/3. I know 2-PG lineup may be a problem but Ellington can't prove his worth against those matchup so far.
2. A rotation big that can run, rebound and defense. We struggle against teams with two quality big. Once Daly is in foul trouble, we often give in the game. My best guest is a healthy Brandan Wright is possibly the best option for us. Somebody who's better than Bernard James via free agency or small trade are welcomed as well.
3. A countable 3rd / 4th option - Dirk, Matrix, and VC all struggles against solid defender (coz of stamina and deteriorating physical attributes) . Against elite teams which can stop Dirk-Monta pick-n-roll, we need more countable option(s) to climb up hill.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough pieces to land either priority via trade. Free agency or internal development is the only hopeful scenario.
Sagittaron
Senior

Post#11 » by Sagittaron » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Darren wrote:I think Deng is the closest answer to our need. For this season, I would put the priority that way:

1. Elite defender at 2/3. Stephen Jackson or DeShawn Stevenson may be all we can land. I am disappointed about Ellington's defense and perimeter percentage. We got toyed repeatedly by James Harden, Kevin Martin and OJ Mayo. We ain't going anywhere without an elite defender at 2/3. I know 2-PG lineup may be a problem but Ellington can't prove his worth against those matchup so far.
2. A rotation big that can run, rebound and defense. We struggle against teams with two quality big. Once Daly is in foul trouble, we often give in the game. My best guest is a healthy Brandan Wright is possibly the best option for us. Somebody who's better than Bernard James via free agency or small trade are welcomed as well.
3. A countable 3rd / 4th option - Dirk, Matrix, and VC all struggles against solid defender (coz of stamina and deteriorating physical attributes) . Against elite teams which can stop Dirk-Monta pick-n-roll, we need more countable option(s) to climb up hill.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough pieces to land either priority via trade. Free agency or internal development is the only hopeful scenario.

I completely agree with what you said about the needs of this team.

There are some reports floating around that NY wants to trade Shumpert. I think he may be a nice fit for us. I don't think we have the assets to get though, except if NY wants to sell really cheap.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#12 » by Teffer10 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:43 am

gottamakeit wrote:rather than deng, we could go after Hayward who likely wont receive an extension from the Jazz ( go after him during free agency not now )

I have more faith in Donnie and Mark making trades than signing FAs so I think they need to make a move before TDL.
Once players are here they seem to want to stay.
I'd rather go after a big though because that is our biggest weakness right now.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#13 » by bobsquad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:24 am

Which big men do we expect to be on the market? Greg Monroe and Andrew Bogut would be nice.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#14 » by avon barksdale » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:10 am

This is a tough one we have a few problems on this roster id stay stand pat and here's why, our biggest issue is dirk he's making Max money and isn't a Max talent so with him being so overpaid we don't have another contract that can pull talent and not weaken our roster. Marion is a big expiring but hes the only average defender on this roster so moving him isn't smart I wouldn't trade monta I think Ellington and Calderon were terrible signings wayne could be moved but wouldn't net much and we're stuck with Calderon so we're down to the scrubs James mekel and the rookies and crowded and Vince Vince is old but he's a bargain so honestly anything we move it'll either weaken us in another area or add long term salary. What made us good was the fact that we had a 90 million payroll so mistakes were easy to erase but now teams have to have proper management and donnie ain't that Calderon should have been 3/15 Ellington vet min.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#15 » by Darren » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Can anyone post and Matrix for Turner article on DB.com? How close it is as a trade rumor? Personally, I don't like the deal. Evan Turner isn't a star-level talent. He is possibly peaked already. And he isn't shown he's even a sure starter on good team. And this team leaves us a hole at 3. Unless we can ready to sign Stephen Jackson, I don't see it happening.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Teffer10 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 pm

matt_m wrote:Which big men do we expect to be on the market? Greg Monroe and Andrew Bogut would be nice.

Monroe or Bogut would be great but I've always thought Dirk needed an atheletic center (like Chandler) to make up for his shortfalls. I'd love to land Monroe though for the long-term.
What's the status of Varejao? I know he is injury prone but there's a team option on him next season so the risk would be minimal.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#17 » by bobsquad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Building off of the two posts above, here's an idea:

DAL > PHI
Shawn Marion
Wayne Ellington

PHI > CLE
Evan Turner

CLE > DAL
Anderson Varejao
C.J. Miles
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I was thinking something similar but a 3 way involving Marion, Sarge, and Varejao.

Sarge and ? to Clev
Marion to ? (Eastern Contender)
Varajao and ? (SF) to Dallas

Another idea is something surrounding Marion and spares (Ellington, Sarge, etc...) to net Okafor.
I still think Okafor would be a great fit with Dirk because he does all the dirty work (defense/rebounds) that Dirk doesn't need to be doing.
Varajao, Okafor, Monroe and Bogut would all be welcome trades for the right deal imo.
Okafor would be a guy we should be targeting in the off-season if he is healthy.
gomavs
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#19 » by gomavs » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Asik (Houston) has asked to be traded. This seems to me like an opportunity just crying "Mavericks". Don't get me wrong, I am content with Dalembert and Blair. But it is still early enough in the season that we could make an adjustment at center and still have time to get the team to sync up.
Sagittaron
Senior

Post#20 » by Sagittaron » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:14 pm

gomavs wrote:Asik (Houston) has asked to be traded. This seems to me like an opportunity just crying "Mavericks". Don't get me wrong, I am content with Dalembert and Blair. But it is still early enough in the season that we could make an adjustment at center and still have time to get the team to sync up.

I am sure everyone will agree that we could certainly use Asik, and we will be very strong inside with Asik and Dalembert at Center. Again though the question is, do we have enough assets to get him? I think we don't have anything Houston needs at the moment and there are teams that will probably bid higher than us to get Asik.

Return to Dallas Mavericks