Mavs Trade Thread, Around the NBA Discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Mavs Trade Thread, Around the NBA Discussion 

Post#921 » by JamesConway » Sat Jan 7, 2017 5:16 pm

Via Stein:
I'm told Dallas' Wesley Matthews, like Butler, is not in play. The prospect of an Andrew Bogut trade remains very real in Big D -- an outcome even Bogut has acknowledged -- but sources say that the Mavs are batting away pitches for Matthews as he continues an impressive recovery from an Achilles tear.

http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4869/what-the-hawks-seek-in-a-paul-millsap-trade

He's also reporting that the Blazers are looking at Tyson Chandler as a potential trade target.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#922 » by Devassa » Sat Jan 7, 2017 5:27 pm

JamesConway wrote:Via Stein:
I'm told Dallas' Wesley Matthews, like Butler, is not in play. The prospect of an Andrew Bogut trade remains very real in Big D -- an outcome even Bogut has acknowledged -- but sources say that the Mavs are batting away pitches for Matthews as he continues an impressive recovery from an Achilles tear.

http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4869/what-the-hawks-seek-in-a-paul-millsap-trade

He's also reporting that the Blazers are looking at Tyson Chandler as a potential trade target.

I'm sure Dallas is batting away all trade offers right now since teams are trying to short change us on some of these guys.. once the deadline gets nearer, I would except Dallas to have to replace at least 1 if not 2 starters (Bogut and D-Will being most likely IMO)
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#923 » by JamesConway » Sat Jan 7, 2017 5:56 pm

Devassa wrote:

I'm sure Dallas is batting away all trade offers right now since teams are trying to short change us on some of these guys.. once the deadline gets nearer, I would except Dallas to have to replace at least 1 if not 2 starters (Bogut and D-Will being most likely IMO)

I guess if I had to rank them in terms of who I believe is the most likely to be dealt (if at all) I'd say Bogut > Deron > Matthews. At least for now. Hopefully we'll soon see that first shoe to drop. I really want Bogut off the team after what he said recently (the audio from the interview is really not a good look Imo, I've posted it in the Bogut-thread) and tbh I also see little reason to keep Deron around.
Devassa
Sixth Man

Post#924 » by Devassa » Sat Jan 7, 2017 6:02 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Devassa wrote:

I guess if I had to rank them in terms of who I believe is the most likely to be dealt (if at all) I'd say Bogut > Deron > Matthews. At least for now. Hopefully we'll soon see that first shoe to drop. I really want Bogut off the team after what he said recently (the audio from the interview is really not a good look Imo, I've posted it in the Bogut-thread) and tbh I also see little reason to keep Deron around.

Yeah Bogut was probably the most likely to be dealt even before that recording but now it's almost guaranteed he's a goner. The trade to acquire him in the first place made very little sense to begin with, but hopefully he can net us a decent return.. best case scenario is a first rounder from a playoff team like Boston or OKC
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#925 » by Jinra » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 pm

I think it is good news to know that Chicago will probably hold on to Butler through the season. If Dallas ends up with a 1-7 pick in the draft, I would love to see a draft night trade for Butler.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#926 » by Darren » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:14 am

It seems that Whiteside is made available by Miami if we're willing to part with our 2017 pick. I think he can contribute more than Nerlens Noel. It could be a realistic trade option for us. We can part with expiring and a top few pick.
Zilight Twone
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#927 » by Zilight Twone » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 am

Darren wrote:It seems that Whiteside is made available by Miami if we're willing to part with our 2017 pick. I think he can contribute more than Nerlens Noel. It could be a realistic trade option for us. We can part with expiring and a top few pick.

Thought I read somewhere that Miami said he's not available
Zilight Twone
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#928 » by Zilight Twone » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:38 am

Sacramento needs a PG. What if we traded D-Will or Harris there for a same salary and a future 2nd?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,903

Post#929 » by Dirk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

Zilight Twone wrote:Sacramento needs a PG. What if we traded D-Will or Harris there for a same salary and a future 2nd?

WCS, McLemore, Afflalo (expiring $1.5M guaranteed) for Wes Matthews, Devin Harris

Would Mavs fans do this deal?
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#930 » by Darren » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Salah Mejri to GSW for Kevon Looney, anyone?

Kevon Looney has been solid in d-league with 20-18 stats. He's very young but already shows some promises and versatility. I can see him developed into a solid undersized center or power forward. Meanwhile, Mejri fits the Golden States very well. At 7-2, he can really protect the rim. And his international basketball experience can help him contribute in a solid play.

There're not a lot of suitor for Mejri anyway. At 30, he better suits a win-now team like GSW than the Mavs.

To be sure, I am interested in Looney. His rebounding skills and shotblocking along with the way he uses his wingspan intrigue me. He can actually put the ball on the ground and guard perimeter jumper. That makes him very special. Some even project him to play C/PF/SF in NBA.

He seems like a more versatile Amir Johnson to me.
Devassa
Sixth Man

Post#931 » by Devassa » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
Zilight Twone wrote:Sacramento needs a PG. What if we traded D-Will or Harris there for a same salary and a future 2nd?

WCS, McLemore, Afflalo (expiring $1.5M guaranteed) for Wes Matthews, Devin Harris

I would. I think McLemore would do well on a different team and WCS is a talented young big
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,377

Post#932 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

Would you really trade Wes Matthews for that? I LOVE McLemore in college, but he has kind of been a bust in the pros. I have never been a WCS fan. Players like him don't really have a place in today's nba. If he can become a top defender in the league AND a top rebounder, like a poor man's Rodman, maybe.

But he played three years at Kentucky, and some guy who plays three years there and can't make a quick impact in the NBA on a bad team, I just think he is a bust.

I think Wes Matthews is by far the most valuable piece moving in that trade. The trade board would say otherwise, so this is just my personal opinion.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#933 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:38 pm

I have a feeling that any moves that Dallas makes will be win now related. I can see Mavs trading their younger players for 30 something veterans and Bogut's expiring to absorb some team's "bad"salary.

I dont see Dallas trading Deron or Matthews unless it was a lopsided deal in Dallas' favor.

Dallas is completely hell bent on making the playoffs with Dirk back and I feel they have no problem mortgaging the future to do so.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,903

Post#934 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

Would you really trade Wes Matthews for that? I LOVE McLemore in college, but he has kind of been a bust in the pros. I have never been a WCS fan. Players like him don't really have a place in today's nba. If he can become a top defender in the league AND a top rebounder, like a poor man's Rodman, maybe.

But he played three years at Kentucky, and some guy who plays three years there and can't make a quick impact in the NBA on a bad team, I just think he is a bust.

I think Wes Matthews is by far the most valuable piece moving in that trade. The trade board would say otherwise, so this is just my personal opinion.

I wonder what the trade board crowd would think. I didn't post there because quite honestly... most have no idea about Matthews as a player. It gets tiresome to read "overpaid"/"injured". I have asked about this trade on the Kings forum as well though to get a feel for WCS.

I am mostly just trying to get a feel about what Mavs fans want for Matthews.

I don't actually think the Mavs would do this trade 'in real life'. The Mavs seem very committed to "winning" (whatever that means in the NBA). Matthews is highly regarded. So they are unlikely to move him unless he asks or they get a really great offer.

That proposed trade makes sense in abstract. The Mavs give up a veteran to a team that is trying to make the playoffs. They get back the former #6 pick (2015). Mclemore is just a try out for the rest of the year. The Mavs would control him in restricted free agency.

It's safe to say most Mavs fans are ok with the idea of another bad year next season, get another good pick, plus the pick this year, plus Barnes and maybe one or two other young guys that develop and come 18/19 they may be in better shape than if they just try to go the route of making the playoffs next year.

We just don't really know what the Mavs are doing. For all intents and purposes, they look like they will run these old guys into the ground chasing the #8 seed, as opposed to getting some sort of value for them at the trade deadline.
60/21/10
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,377

Post#935 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

I think a lot of people HIGHLY overrates WCS. In general, fans place high value on their young rookie and second year or even third year lotto picks, but I never liked him, prayed the Suns didn't draft him, thought he wasn't an NBA level player (he is a good defender, but can't do much else). It's not just Kings fans that seem to overrate him either. It seems many do. Of course I could be dead wrong on the guy and maybe he turns into a star.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#936 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:55 pm

2011Champs wrote:I have a feeling that any moves that Dallas makes will be win now related. I can see Mavs trading their younger players for 30 something veterans and Bogut's expiring to absorb some team's "bad"salary.

I dont see Dallas trading Deron or Matthews unless it was a lopsided deal in Dallas' favor.

Dallas is completely hell bent on making the playoffs with Dirk back and I feel they have no problem mortgaging the future to do so.

I bet Cuban is somewhere thinking of any possible scenario to get Carmelo Anthony to Dallas right now. Lol
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#937 » by bobsquad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 pm

2011Champs wrote:
2011Champs wrote:I have a feeling that any moves that Dallas makes will be win now related. I can see Mavs trading their younger players for 30 something veterans and Bogut's expiring to absorb some team's "bad"salary.

I bet Cuban is somewhere thinking of any possible scenario to get Carmelo Anthony to Dallas right now. Lol

I mean... Matthews, Bogut, D-Will, and 2 1sts for Anthony and Noah would probably do it. I personally wouldn't, but I'm sure Phil would love a package of high picks and expirings to dump those guys on us
nbaagentprodigy
Ballboy
And1: 5

Cavs Trade 

Post#938 » by nbaagentprodigy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 pm

If the Cavs called and wanted Seth Curry ($2.9M) who would you want in return?
2011Champs
General Manager

Re: Cavs Trade 

Post#939 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I just don't see a scenario that works well with Dallas and Cleveland alone. Maybe something could be done with a third team?
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Re: Cavs Trade 

Post#940 » by Jinra » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 pm

I don't see Cleveland wanting Seth Curry really. If not Deron Williams, maybe Devin Harris. Even then, maybe a future 1st round consideration?
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks