ImageImageImage

Mavs not trying to trade Felton... Why?

your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Mavs not trying to trade Felton... Why? 

Post#1 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:39 am

Felton may have not played one minute in a Mavs uniform but him being on the squad actually holds us back in truly completing this offseason transformation. Whether you feel the Mavs need to find a quality 2 guard or a banger off the bench, almost anyone can see that unloading Felton is the best option to achieve this. I don't know if we can waive him or have to trade him, but I am sure there is a team out there looking for PG help desperately.
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Re: Mavs not trying to trade Felton... Why? 

Post#2 » by The Sparest » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 am

After last season, Felton's value is a negative. The Mavs may look to trade him later, but they might as well try to salvage some of his trade value first. Why waste picks or cap moving him now, when you may be able to get equal or positive value for him later.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#3 » by Heezzi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:17 am

He has chemistry with Chandler. Neither Nelson or Harris has that.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#4 » by Captain_Obvious » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:48 am

Is he really going to hold us back with that contract? He makes half of Calderon who did hold us back with his no-D (in a starting position, I'd like him as 6th man).

If Harris is our backup 2, Nelson/Felton is good value at the point position. I'm never worried about veteran guys under Carlisle. He always gets the best out of guys that know their role and buy into it. It's the rooks and limited BBIQ guys that go into the doghouse. ( :wave: Ledo)

Wright will be a trade candidate IMO, especially if he gets his lunch stolen again like last year by Blair. Plus he is expiring.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:23 am

an expiring Felton will have value to a team later in the year and when this team starts to gel and gets it going we can evaluate what our weaknesses are andt hen design a plan to address them but not now. To guess at what our weaknesses will be is less effective than to give the team its chance to see how the pieces fit and evaluate the actual performance of the players. Things hardly ever turn out how you plan. Some guys fit with each other some do not. Some surprise and some disapoint. After they give them a chance you have to make adjustments and then try it again but genreally speaking you reallly do have to see how things work with a teams chemistry first before you use your last moves to improve your team. Unless someone is just going to gift you a deal of a lifetime for a player which that is probably not going to happen.

Felton could show up rejuvinated from being in a new city on a new team and make a game of it this year.

He has less of the circus following him here and he has an opportunity to participate on a contender. That would tend to enhance any athletes performance with motivation and less distraction so they can get focused and concentrate on their game especially in a contract season. When you see how his life was turned upside down and how it affected his game you have to think that this move could be a way to help correct the problems that led to his subpar performance and increase his value to become a better trade chip. Its part of the buy low sell high philosophy smart GM's adhere to.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#6 » by Darren » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 am

I am not show on this. The Mavs will trade him. Not at the expense of a first perhaps. They want to showcase him and wait until he's eligible to be packaged with other pieces. I expect the Mavs to be active by the deadline to switch Felton and a pick into an expiring but serviable piece. I think all of our SFs, SGs, PGs are available except Parsons and Ellis. Barea or Terry makes most sense for straight up deal, I think. We should look for frontcourt depth by waiving Mekel now. He's far from a keeper. He's not NBA material at all. He can't even help Legends win d-league game thanks to his greediness.
aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#7 » by aussiewill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 am

Felton isn't an expiring, he has a player option for 15/16 and can't see him not taking up that money.

Secondly, who would want him, seriously... I just hope he can play 18mpg a game and actually commit something to the team without being a black hole defensively.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#8 » by Darren » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:09 am

We're not do-or-die on Felton's performance, period. We'll see what he's in tank. 4M is not really a big problem. Lin gets traded for a pick. And he'll be expiring even if he opts in next summer. Of course, I want to clear him for expirings like Barea pr Terry. They can serve some bench scoring.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,831

Post#9 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Contract year for Raymond so he's motivated to play well...

Not to mention we had luck with guards that people gave up on in the past under Carlisle (Mayo, Ellis).
FIRE JASON KIDD
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#10 » by Heezzi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 am

Not to mention his stats will go up due the team not having ISO players in Melo & JR Smith.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#11 » by The Sparest » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:45 am

aussiewill wrote:Felton isn't an expiring, he has a player option for 15/16 and can't see him not taking up that money.

Secondly, who would want him, seriously... I just hope he can play 18mpg a game and actually commit something to the team without being a black hole defensively.

Given the contracts handed out this off season, if he can bounce back and prove he is a capable back up or possible starter, then I could see him opting out for a longer/better contract. Which is why I am hopeful he will bounce back, since it is in his best interest.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#12 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Lets give the guy a chance...3 vets at PG along with Ellis might work out well.
And Mekel isn't a bad 4/5 option imo.
With Harris' and Nelson's injury history its a little comforting knowing we have a vet as insurance.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#13 » by bobsquad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:06 pm

He's had some decent seasons and his trade value is negative. Best case he's a diamond in the rough, worst case he rides the bench. As Darren alluded to, Houston had to give up a first round pick just to get rid of Jeremy Lin. We have no reason to do that.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#14 » by SaintofKillers » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 am

Trading Felton right now when the entire world views him as a fat, lazy, useless player is the worst time to do it because we would reek of desperation. That means our trading partner would be holding all the cards and they'd ask for a minimally-protected 1st rounder as a conversation piece and it gets worse from there.

The best move is to just keep him, sink or swim.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#15 » by Deus » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:33 pm

Because it would have to be a 1-1 trade until Dec. Tough to do that type of trade. If Felton doesn't work out in November, then Cuban/Donnie will be working the phones for sure.
Aaron Clements
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Aaron Clements » Sat Aug 2, 2014 5:25 am

Can't trade him in a package until later. Might want to hang onto him just for the purpose of being a potentially valuable asset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using RealGM Forums mobile app
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#17 » by kbrow20 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 5:41 am

I think he will turn it around in Dallas. Having such a positive locker room will make him back to normal like he was at Bobcats. I think there was to many selfish players in NYK and the chemistry died which caused his terrible habbits. One season with Dirk changes a lot of people because he is so respected by a lot of players. Plus we have a veteran leadership that Knicks didn't have and plus a really respected coach in RC. That and we having a winning culture and new York has a lot of pressure to win now
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#18 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:34 am

Heezzi wrote:Not to mention his stats will go up due the team not having ISO players in Melo & JR Smith.

Nope, he just got fat again last season. If he gets back into shape, he's a serviceable PG, but I have less and less confidence in that happening these days. 2013 felton was great for the knicks with carmelo and JR in the lineup.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#19 » by spaceballer » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:33 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Contract year for Raymond so he's motivated to play well...

Not to mention we had luck with guards that people gave up on in the past under Carlisle (Mayo, Ellis).

I doubt it's a contract year. He's likely to pick up his player option for 2015-2016. I don't see him playing well enough to earn more in the market than he can get with opting in.

So, assuming he picks up the option, he's still got 2 more years on this contract.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#20 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Sep 5, 2014 4:01 pm

Mavs have Harris who is the cream of the crop in our group of PG's and Jameer Nelson to play most of the minutes if Ray decides to just milk the contract and retire. If he wants to play and be in position to get another contract that is not a vet min then he will be serious and come to camp in the best shape of his career motivated to do his best ever. I fully expect the new locale and better team to revitalize him to perform at a level equal to his best per minute rates for assists and scoring. His game will be on the bench if he fails to defend and I expect Harris to be good on D so it will be the best defender between Jameer and Ray for the other PG slot.

The odd man out is whoever slacks off on D. Play defense well and Ray will get the nod more than Jameer otherwise if Jameer plays better D he will get the nod to start. Harris off the bench we all know works he did it last season and thrived when healthy and available. If both Ray and Jameer over produce and do well on defense then we can use Harris at SG to get them more minutes but Monta is another option for us as a distributor so passing the ball around to get assists is not going to be a problem hence why I say the PG focus should be on defense since we have plenty of scorers at the other positions.

We will see if RC can light a fire under them to make defense the priority early in the season and that will set the tone for how far this team goes. If both suck and we need to play more Harris at PG then we need to hope that Harris stays healthy and can improve his 3 point shooting this season. On a positive note he will reunite with Richard Jefferson this season and that chemistry was excellent in NJ.

Return to Dallas Mavericks