ImageImageImage

Jose Calderon

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Jose Calderon 

Post#1 » by Starks1994 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:40 am

Knick fan here wondering what Mavs fans really think about Jose Calderon. Many Knick fans are thrilled to have him on board and pretty unanimous in their belief that he's going to be perfect in the triangle system. I'm always interested in hearing what fans from a player's last team thinks of a player though so what do you guys think we are really getting in Calderon?
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Re: Jose Calderon 

Post#2 » by SaintofKillers » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:24 am

I can't really think of anything bad to say about Calderon except for his defense which you probably know by now. It's not an exaggeration when people say he's one of the worst defenders in the league; he's the worst I have ever seen, period. The only thing worse than his defense is his contract.

But if you're willing to look past both, you'll love the guy. Outstanding outside shooter, good off the dribble at midrange and executes well. He's really beyond criticism in this parts because he played hard and well and just didn't have the physical tools to hang competently on the other end and was a detriment to our payroll flexibility.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#3 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Sep 2, 2014 7:34 am

+
Good teammate. Will teach Spanish ;)
Elite shooter. Generally takes good shots, sometimes a little early into the shot clock though. He is not a chucker unlike JR.
Takes care of the ball.
Communicates a lot.

-
Defense. But he is trying unlike Harden.
Physically limited. He has Dirk-lateral movement. Gets bumped around on the court. So stronger/bigger players like Vasquez will overpower him on their way to the basket. So-so size for a PG.

I think the contract is overstated. Elite shooters tend to earn more money. Hey, at least he will be a big expiring at some point. No matter what, he is a scoring punch and will make the life of Anthony easier. But better have someone else to actually defend the lead. Or pray his shot continues to fall.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#4 » by Imon » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:43 pm

Like others have already said his defense is a bit lacking but he is an elite spot-up shooter.
He is a good decision maker and a low turnover guy but he doesn't often make flashy plays.

He got a lot of his points off spot-up threes. When guys close on him beyond the arc he'll do an escape dribble and shoot a long-2 (most guys are terrible with the long-2 but Calderon is actually pretty good).
Sometimes after the escape dribble he'll take it to the basket for a layup. Calderon is actually not bad around the basket as long as there isn't a big shot-blocker present. He knows how to use his body to shield the ball when going in for a layup.

My last piece of advice.
If you want a more in-depth assessment of Calderon I would suggest asking the fans at the Raptors board. Calderon spent most of his career there and there are lots of smart Raptors fans on RealGM.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:23 pm

Good shooter and passer. Very smart and underrated.

With that being said, be prepared to be lit up by opposing point guards.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Post#6 » by Starks1994 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks guys. We don't really know what defense is here in New York, so it sounds like he'll fit right in.
Mr Grant Hill
Sixth Man
And1: 102

Post#7 » by Mr Grant Hill » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:48 pm

nice guy, good shooter, barely turns the ball over.
he's been a massive net negative for the mavs, though. massive.

and why would he be such a great fit within the triangle? you don't need a traditional playmaker, and he can't slash to the basket, can't collapse a defense. he'll probably end up as a part-time ballhandler (4-5 assists) and spot-up shooter, who will give up tons of points on defense.

listen, i'm really interested in phil's "new knicks". but i'm afraid calderon can't be a valuable part of the development y'all are hoping for.
Wake up, girl. I wanna go surfing.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#8 » by bran muffin » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:47 pm

Starks1994 wrote:Knick fan here wondering what Mavs fans really think about Jose Calderon. Many Knick fans are thrilled to have him on board and pretty unanimous in their belief that he's going to be perfect in the triangle system. I'm always interested in hearing what fans from a player's last team thinks of a player though so what do you guys think we are really getting in Calderon?

Everyone knows Calderon is a major liability on defense, but pairing him with Monta Ellis in the back court was simply unworkable (from a defensive standpoint). And that is really the only reason why so many Mavs fans are glad to see him move on, even though he brought a lot of good things to the team. He ran the offense smoothly, and provided a stability that the team hasn't seen since Jason Kidd left. His coaches and teammates (esp. Dirk) clearly loved what he brought to the team. And I really think that if the Mavs had a better defenders at shooting guard and center, they would've tried to work around Calderon's defensive flaws.

But they need Monta more than they need Calderon, so it was Calderon that had to go. In NYC, with Shumpert at shooting guard I don't think Calderon's defensive flaws will be exposed so much. But then again... Dalembert did follow him to NYC, so some of the defensive problems that pair caused in Dallas will probably manifest themselves in NYC. Calderon lets his man drive past him a lot of times, and unfortunately Dalembert will show up to protect the rim only on nights when he feels like it. Most times, he won't. There's a reason why that lazy bastard is playing for his 6th team in 6 years.

One thing that irked me about Calderon is his propensity to dump the ball to the closest teammate whenever the shot clock is running out. I really hated that. If someone's gonna take a last-second heave, it should be him since he's the best shooter on the team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks