ImageImageImage

Projecting how Mavs handle remaining 'murderous' schedule

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,894

Projecting how Mavs handle remaining 'murderous' schedule 

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:34 pm

In sports, players and coaches and even fans get it pounded into their heads on a regular basis: Play them one at a time.

What a load of hooey.

As the Mavericks round the turn and head into the final quarter of the regular season, we don’t have to play by that rule.

We can play them all at once.

But before we break down the final 20 games of the regular season, we have to consider one serious variable.

The Mavericks are not healthy. That’s not an excuse, just a fact. They have been trying to get by without their emotional and physical leader, center Tyson Chandler, and without forward Chandler Parsons, whose scoring and ability to stretch the floor have been sorely missed.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas ... hedule.ece

My prediction:
@ Portland Trail Blazers L ✔
@ Golden State Warriors L ✔
@ Los Angeles Lakers W ✔
VS Cleveland Cavaliers W ✖
VS Los Angeles Clippers W ✔
VS Oklahoma City Thunder L ✖
VS Orlando Magic W ✔
VS Memphis Grizzlies L ✔
@ Phoenix Suns W
VS San Antonio Spurs W
@ San Antonio Spurs L
@ Indiana Pacers W
@ Oklahoma City Thunder L
VS Houston Rockets L
VS Golden State Warriors W
VS Phoenix Suns W
@ Denver Nuggets W
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
@ Utah Jazz W
VS Portland Trail Blazers W

Mavericks go 14-6 the rest of the way and finish at 54-28
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
N8N
Rookie
And1: 236

Post#2 » by N8N » Thu Mar 5, 2015 10:41 pm

That's optimistic to be honest. I am too. I'd say they finish around 52-55 wins. We have a couple of stretches of home games. Those are must win. If they go 80% on those, that's 8 wins plus maybe around half of road games, then I can live with that.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Re: Projecting how Mavs handle remaining 'murderous' schedule 

Post#3 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:19 pm

@ Portland Trail Blazers W 0-1
@ Golden State Warriors L 0-2
@ Los Angeles Lakers W 1-2
VS Cleveland Cavaliers L 1-3
VS Los Angeles Clippers W 2-3
VS Oklahoma City Thunder W 3-3
VS Orlando Magic W 4-3
VS Memphis Grizzlies W 4-4
@ Phoenix Suns L 4-5
VS San Antonio Spurs L 5-5
@ San Antonio Spurs L 5-6
@ Indiana Pacers W 5-7
@ Oklahoma City Thunder L 6-7
VS Houston Rockets W 6-8
VS Golden State Warriors L 6-9
VS Phoenix Suns W 7-9
@ Denver Nuggets W 8-9
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
@ Utah Jazz L
-------------------------------------------
12-8
60/21/10
aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#4 » by aussiewill » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:23 am

Hopefully, we have got rid of some of the crappy performances against the better west teams out of the way. It'd be nice to start clicking come April.

@ Portland Trail Blazers W
@ Golden State Warriors L
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
VS Cleveland Cavaliers L
VS Los Angeles Clippers W
VS Oklahoma City Thunder W
VS Orlando Magic W
VS Memphis Grizzlies W
@ Phoenix Suns W
VS San Antonio Spurs W
@ San Antonio Spurs L
@ Indiana Pacers W
VS Houston Rockets W
VS Phoenix Suns W
@ Denver Nuggets W
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
@ Utah Jazz W
VS Portland Trail Blazers L

Finishing with the 3rd seeding...

1) GSW
2) Memphis
3) Dallas
4) Portland
5) Rockets
6) Clippers
7) Thunder
8) Spurs

All 4 first round matchups could go either way.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#5 » by bran muffin » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:39 pm

Aderito wrote:
My prediction:
@ Portland Trail Blazers L
@ Golden State Warriors L
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
VS Cleveland Cavaliers W
VS Los Angeles Clippers W
VS Oklahoma City Thunder L
VS Orlando Magic W
VS Memphis Grizzlies L
@ Phoenix Suns W
VS San Antonio Spurs W
@ San Antonio Spurs L
@ Indiana Pacers W
VS Houston Rockets L
VS Phoenix Suns W
@ Denver Nuggets W
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
@ Utah Jazz W

Mavericks go 14-6 the rest of the way and finish at 54-28

I'm confident the Mavs will actually win their final game against the Rockets, even if it is on the second night of a back-to-back. The game will be played in Dallas, and the Rockets themselves will be on their 4th game in 5 nights.

I don't see the Mavs coming out of that killer 3-game homestand (vs CLE, LAC, OKC) with a 2-1 record. They'll be lucky if they're 1-2. I don't see the Mavs winning against he Warriors in Dallas either. Other than that, I agree with your other projections.

52-30 is my guess. Good enough for the 6th seed, and hopefully a first round date with the Rockets.
N8N
Rookie

Post#6 » by N8N » Sat Mar 7, 2015 7:27 am

Well...it's been spot on 2 games in.
Credit to Dallas Mavericks mod Dirk for my avatar.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,894

Post#7 » by Lord Cuban » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:53 am

Now we need does 3 wins
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
N8N
Rookie

Post#8 » by N8N » Mon Mar 9, 2015 8:20 am

5-game homestand. Let's get this done.
Rodddman
Junior
And1: 5

Post#9 » by Rodddman » Mon Mar 9, 2015 12:38 pm

Get ready for the 7 seed.

Would you rather face the Grizz or the Rox?
"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious." - Charles Shackleford
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#10 » by bran muffin » Mon Mar 9, 2015 3:49 pm

I hate to say it, but the Mavericks are the team every western conference team wants to see in the playoffs. That much is obvious after a quick visit to any of the other teams' forums.

Hopefully, the Mavs enter the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder. I know Rondo will, and hopefully the rest of the team will take after his attitude.
N8N
Rookie

Re: Re: Projecting how Mavs handle remaining 'murderous' schedule 

Post#11 » by N8N » Mon Mar 9, 2015 7:01 pm

bran muffin wrote:I hate to say it, but the Mavericks are the team every western conference team wants to see in the playoffs. That much is obvious after a quick visit to any of the other teams' forums.

Hopefully, the Mavs enter the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder. I know Rondo will, and hopefully the rest of the team will take after his attitude.

I'd rather be the underdog to be honest.

I say don't pay attention to other fans of other teams because of course they will be rooting for theirs and talk smack about others. The reality is, only one team wins the championship every year. So brag about making it out to the second round all you want, it wouldn't matter one bit if you don't go all the way. If you do, congrats.

At this point I just want a healthy team that will compete similar to our run last year. I felt that team didn't come together until the PS as well. We're more talented on paper but we don't know how we'd gel when the stakes are high.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#12 » by Nowitness » Mon Mar 9, 2015 9:02 pm

Looking good so far Aderito. Got to be at least .500 on this homestand, nothing else is acceptable.
Nowitnessing a legend
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#13 » by fuller4379 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 9:08 pm

VS Cleveland Cavaliers L correct
VS Los Angeles Clippers L incorrect
VS Oklahoma City Thunder W correct
VS Orlando Magic W correct
VS Memphis Grizzlies L correct
@ Phoenix Suns L correct
VS San Antonio Spurs W correct
@ San Antonio Spurs L correct
@ Indiana Pacers W incorrect
@ Oklahoma City Thunder L incorrect
VS Houston Rockets L correct
VS Golden State Warriors L correct
VS Phoenix Suns W correct
@ Denver Nuggets W
@ Los Angeles Lakers W
@ Utah Jazz W
VS Portland Trail Blazers L

8-9 with a 49-33 record. We are at about the same level as the Spurs and Suns and a little worse than OKC.

So far we are one up on my prediction. It looks like 50-32 at this point. We will have to see though how they finish this season because there is nothing to play for.
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#14 » by Makaveli2 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:51 am

I have to disagree somewhat. I think a successfull franchise is one that keeps its fans entertained. Now if you win it all that's even better but it's the icing on the cake. Mavs franchise have been success ever since Dirk, they only won it one yr. But imo the franchise has been successful throughout because the fans have been engaged and feel like their team has a chance to win it all every yr (getting harder the last two yrs).
Plus what does winning it all have to do with the fans, nothing, not like you get the ring and can say you won a Nba champion. To me It's all about feeling great about the team and therefor you support them. Sure winning it all makes the fans feel great but it isnt the only thing that will make the fans feel good and excited about the team.
Ending the season on a high note is a major factor in keeping the fans engadged to the team. Take last yr example, the Mavs lost in the first round, so was that worst then tanking. At least the fans had fun and the general feeling even after the season was a few minor moves would push it to contention. Granted mavs probably won't win it all this season, but I think the fans will enjoy this season more then laker fan, seems like they were miserable.
N8N wrote:
bran muffin wrote:I hate to say it, but the Mavericks are the team every western conference team wants to see in the playoffs. That much is obvious after a quick visit to any of the other teams' forums.

I say don't pay attention to other fans of other teams because of course they will be rooting for theirs and talk smack about others. The reality is, only one team wins the championship every year. So brag about making it out to the second round all you want, it wouldn't matter one bit if you don't go all the way. If you do, congrats.

At this point I just want a healthy team that will compete similar to our run last year. I felt that team didn't come together until the PS as well. We're more talented on paper but we don't know how we'd gel when the stakes are high.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#15 » by Cicero » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Fans of other Western teams may think they want the Mavs most, like the Warriors forum, but as a non-Mavs fan I gotta wonder on that sort of hubris they may regret in the playoffs. After all, you guys may be sliding now, but if I believe in one golden NBA principle it's "Watch the **** out For Carlisle". The guy has to hands down be the best coach in the West after Popovich, right? You telling me he wouldn't eat up Steve Kerr/Kevin McHale/etc.??? Even with the Mavs' troubles, who in their right mind says, "Yeah, I'd love to get Rick Carlisle's crafty ass in the first round!".
Any Western fans who actually WANT the Mavs really didn't take enough notice of the Mavs in the first round last year.
N8N
Rookie

Re: Re: Re: Projecting how Mavs handle remaining 'murderous' schedule 

Post#16 » by N8N » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:19 am

Makaveli2 wrote:I have to disagree somewhat. I think a successfull franchise is one that keeps its fans entertained. Now if you win it all that's even better but it's the icing on the cake. Mavs franchise have been success ever since Dirk, they only won it one yr. But imo the franchise has been successful throughout because the fans have been engaged and feel like their team has a chance to win it all every yr (getting harder the last two yrs).
Plus what does winning it all have to do with the fans, nothing, not like you get the ring and can say you won a Nba champion. To me It's all about feeling great about the team and therefor you support them. Sure winning it all makes the fans feel great but it isnt the only thing that will make the fans feel good and excited about the team.
Ending the season on a high note is a major factor in keeping the fans engadged to the team. Take last yr example, the Mavs lost in the first round, so was that worst then tanking. At least the fans had fun and the general feeling even after the season was a few minor moves would push it to contention. Granted mavs probably won't win it all this season, but I think the fans will enjoy this season more then laker fan, seems like they were miserable.
N8N wrote:

What you said were the things I thought were already implied and are for the most part, commonly regarded true. I think you were missing my point which is this: forget other fans, trash talking is fine, players want championships, fans want their team to compete, everything else is just noise.
Rodddman
Junior
And1: 5

Post#17 » by Rodddman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:41 am

Cicero wrote:Fans of other Western teams may think they want the Mavs most, like the Warriors forum, but as a non-Mavs fan I gotta wonder on that sort of hubris they may regret in the playoffs. After all, you guys may be sliding now, but if I believe in one golden NBA principle it's "Watch the **** out For Carlisle". The guy has to hands down be the best coach in the West after Popovich, right? You telling me he wouldn't eat up Steve Kerr/Kevin McHale/etc.??? Even with the Mavs' troubles, who in their right mind says, "Yeah, I'd love to get Rick Carlisle's crafty ass in the first round!".
Any Western fans who actually WANT the Mavs really didn't take enough notice of the Mavs in the first round last year.

Carlisle is undoubtedly a master, but players win games. The fact is the Mavs needed a lot of things to go their way if they were to get out of the West, simply because the rest of the conference is so strong. Unfortunately for the Mavs, things have gone against them - guys are injured at the wrong time of year, the Rondo trade has clearly not worked out, and their schedule over the final stretch is indeed murderous. They are struggling at the worst possible time.
"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious." - Charles Shackleford
N8N
Rookie

Post#18 » by N8N » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:43 am

Rodddman wrote:
Cicero wrote:Fans of other Western teams may think they want the Mavs most, like the Warriors forum, but as a non-Mavs fan I gotta wonder on that sort of hubris they may regret in the playoffs. After all, you guys may be sliding now, but if I believe in one golden NBA principle it's "Watch the **** out For Carlisle". The guy has to hands down be the best coach in the West after Popovich, right? You telling me he wouldn't eat up Steve Kerr/Kevin McHale/etc.??? Even with the Mavs' troubles, who in their right mind says, "Yeah, I'd love to get Rick Carlisle's crafty ass in the first round!".

Carlisle is undoubtedly a master, but players win games. The fact is the Mavs needed a lot of things to go their way if they were to get out of the West, simply because the rest of the conference is so strong. Unfortunately for the Mavs, things have gone against them - guys are injured at the wrong time of year, the Rondo trade has clearly not worked out, and their schedule over the final stretch is indeed murderous. They are struggling at the worst possible time.

I am inclined to agree. We still have a few games to go. I've been saying this since AS break but it's time to turn this ship around.
Trophy Husband
Senior
And1: 231

Post#19 » by Trophy Husband » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:54 am

No hate, but you guys are about to miss the playoffs... OKC and NOP will both make.
N8N
Rookie

Re: Re: 

Post#20 » by N8N » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Trophy Husband wrote:No hate, but you guys are about to miss the playoffs... OKC and NOP will both make.

Thanks for giving us a heads up.

Return to Dallas Mavericks