ImageImageImage

Next Year's Starting PG

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Re: Next Year's Starting PG 

Post#41 » by bobsquad » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Moe Williams seems more and more likely. Especially if we can improve our defense at SG, Williams would be a good fit for us. And, we should be able to get him with the bi-annual exception, eh? Do we have that this year?

We do, but I'd expect Williams to want the room exception as a bare minimum. He's coming off of his best season in years and just made more than that.

FWIW, I'm not sold on Mo Williams because I'd really like to see us have a guy at point guard who can run the pick and roll with Dirk as well as Monta did. That's how we're going to get the most out of Dirk for the rest of his career. Dirk's performance this season seemed tied to Monta's. Ty Lawson fits this bill perfectly, but he's seeming less of an option.\
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#42 » by bobsquad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:07 am

Last time we heard Brandon Jennings's name connected to the Mavs, he was a ball dominant volume shooter who had just shot under 40% in the regular season and under 30% in the playoffs. Two years later, he's a totally different player. I think it's time we revisit him.

Before getting hurt (and there's no guarantee he'll be ready by the start of the season), Jennings was having a career year, posting a 19.7 PER with a career high assist rate. But most interesting to me is how Stan Van Gundy got the most out of him by changing him as a player.

Jennings in '13-'14: 5.8 drives to the basket per game, 36.9% FG on drives
Jennings in '14-'15: 7.5 drives to the basket per game, 44.6% FG on drives

As a result, Jennings is getting to the free throw line at a rate higher than Monta Ellis, playing to his strengths as an 84% free throw shooter. He's also shooting the fewest long 2s of his career.

At 25, he's just entering his prime but will be a high priced backup in Detroit with the Pistons planning to retain Reggie Jackson at all costs. If Detroit wants to clear salary, maybe we could absorb him for cap room.
zaman314125
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#43 » by zaman314125 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:59 am

matt_m wrote:Last time we heard Brandon Jennings's name connected to the Mavs, he was a ball dominant volume shooter who had just shot under 40% in the regular season and under 30% in the playoffs. Two years later, he's a totally different player. I think it's time we revisit him.

Before getting hurt (and there's no guarantee he'll be ready by the start of the season), Jennings was having a career year, posting a 19.7 PER with a career high assist rate. But most interesting to me is how Stan Van Gundy got the most out of him by changing him as a player.

As a result, Jennings is getting to the free throw line at a rate higher than Monta Ellis, playing to his strengths as an 84% free throw shooter. He's also shooting the fewest long 2s of his career.

At 25, he's just entering his prime but will be a high priced backup in Detroit with the Pistons planning to retain Reggie Jackson at all costs. If Detroit wants to clear salary, maybe we could absorb him for cap room.

That's a pretty good idea. I like the youth and upside involved with Jennings. Is it even possible to trade for Jennings with only cap room?
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#44 » by bobsquad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:48 am

zaman314125 wrote:
matt_m wrote:Last time we heard Brandon Jennings's name connected to the Mavs, he was a ball dominant volume shooter who had just shot under 40% in the regular season and under 30% in the playoffs. Two years later, he's a totally different player. I think it's time we revisit him.

That's a pretty good idea. I like the youth and upside involved with Jennings. Is it even possible to trade for Jennings with only cap room?

We'd have to clear cap room by renouncing our FAs first (which will eventually happen) and technically the trade would be for the rights to an unsigned player (Emir Preldzic, Renaldas Seibutis).
zaman314125
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#45 » by zaman314125 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:41 am

Oh I see, so it is possible. Sign me up for Jennings. Better than Mo Williams and especially that filth called Rondo.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#46 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 am

Jennings is done. He tore his Achilles and tweeted about potentially retiring early. No point to look at his old numbers, if he comes back (IF), he will be a different player.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Next Year's Starting PG 

Post#47 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:50 am

matt_m wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:Moe Williams seems more and more likely. Especially if we can improve our defense at SG, Williams would be a good fit for us. And, we should be able to get him with the bi-annual exception, eh? Do we have that this year?

We do, but I'd expect Williams to want the room exception as a bare minimum. He's coming off of his best season in years and just made more than that.

FWIW, I'm not sold on Mo Williams because I'd really like to see us have a guy at point guard who can run the pick and roll with Dirk as well as Monta did. That's how we're going to get the most out of Dirk for the rest of his career. Dirk's performance this season seemed tied to Monta's. Ty Lawson fits this bill perfectly, but he's seeming less of an option.\

I actually think Mo Williams would be a good stop gap PG. The Mavs won't be able to get their long term PG until next off season (unless someone gets bought out mid-season). Williams could also be signed for the vet min and has wanted to play for the Mavs for the last few years (and he lives in the DFW area).

I have a feeling come mid season or towards the end of the year the Nets will end up buying out DWill and the Mavs will end up signing him. Just a hunch.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#48 » by Pointguard01 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:20 am

He also had a hell of a season last year (14ppg & 6apg). His shooting numbers weren't great, but putting him on this team should improve that. I think we will be lucky to find anyone better, assuming we land Jordan + Mathews/Green.

Also, I think we have to give him the bi-annual exception (assuming we have that).
something47
Junior
And1: 30

Post#49 » by something47 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 2:43 am

What about Corey Joseph? I feel like we could get him for pretty cheap maybe a BAE or MLE
MavfanAus
Analyst
And1: 2,302

Post#50 » by MavfanAus » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:09 am

something47 wrote:What about Corey Joseph? I feel like we could get him for pretty cheap maybe a BAE or MLE

I'd use a full MLE on him, he's young, and he can defend. He's the best PG option out there that will come cheap. If we walk away with DJ/Wes/Cory then that's a solid haul. However we have nothing to write home about in regards to big man depth off the bench, going to be a looooong season I think.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#51 » by Teffer10 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:25 am

What's the word on Beverley?

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm beginning to think Felton opting in was a good thing.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#52 » by Pointguard01 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:29 am

Teffer10 wrote:What's the word on Beverley?

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm beginning to think Felton opting in was a good thing.

You don't mean that. No, no, you can't.

*faints*
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Next Year's Starting PG 

Post#53 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:49 am

MavfanAus wrote:
something47 wrote:What about Corey Joseph? I feel like we could get him for pretty cheap maybe a BAE or MLE

I'd use a full MLE on him, he's young, and he can defend. He's the best PG option out there that will come cheap. If we walk away with DJ/Wes/Cory then that's a solid haul. However we have nothing to write home about in regards to big man depth off the bench, going to be a looooong season I think.

If DJ decides to resign with the Clippers and Matthews signs with the Raptors or Kings the Mavs should sign Cory Joseph and go with a back court of Joseph/Anderson. Tank the season and get a top 7 pick.
MavfanAus
Analyst
And1: 2,302

Post#54 » by MavfanAus » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:09 am

Mr B wrote:
MavfanAus wrote:

If DJ decides to resign with the Clippers and Matthews signs with the Raptors or Kings the Mavs should sign Cory Joseph and go with a back court of Joseph/Anderson. Tank the season and get a top 7 pick.

That would be my plan too. Building two young players at both guard positions. Obviously sucks for Dirk, but if we miss out on DJ, this would be my plan.

C. Get a young big like Biyombo
PF. Dirk
SF. Parsons
SG. Anderson
PG. Joseph
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#55 » by bobsquad » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:36 am

I forgot about Biyombo. Did the league forget about Biyombo? Maybe pair him at center with JaVale McGee and go all in for potential upside.
aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#56 » by aussiewill » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:10 am

Folks, let us not forget that we don't have MLE and BAE as we are under the cap significantly. With no assets or cap room to spend after our potential signings of DJ & Wes, we wont have anything but the min to offer a PG. We can't land a starting PG for that. It will be Felton and Harris taking those minutes whether we like it or not. Both have been long time starters in this league and a serviceable.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#57 » by The Sparest » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:49 am

matt_m wrote:I forgot about Biyombo. Did the league forget about Biyombo? Maybe pair him at center with JaVale McGee and go all in for potential upside.

If we miss out on Jordan, I hope they target Biyombo next. He is still very raw, but he is also only 22 yrs old. The Hornets seem to be down on him, but the Pels were down on Aminu before we picked him up last year. If we are going to gamble, then I prefer to gamble on youth.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#58 » by Morse Code » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:31 pm

Raps fan here. I come in peace!

What's your guys' opinion on JJ and Harris splitting minutes at PG? Would Harris be the starter? What would be your biggest concerns and also is it top priority for you guys to get a new starting PG? What's your cap situation like? I'm loving the way your team is shaping up, but I'm not sure about the PG spot. Maybe I'm wrong and JJ/Harris is enough?
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#59 » by Hadley » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:35 pm

Morse Code wrote:Raps fan here. I come in peace!

What's your guys' opinion on JJ and Harris splitting minutes at PG? Would Harris be the starter? What would be your biggest concerns and also is it top priority for you guys to get a new starting PG? What's your cap situation like? I'm loving the way your team is shaping up, but I'm not sure about the PG spot. Maybe I'm wrong and JJ/Harris is enough?

Harris is more Combo Guard and mostly played SG last year. Right now its JJ/Felton at PG and Matthews/Harris at SG.
The Cap all depends if we do some S&T's. If we do it clever we could get about 8-10M in Capsapce to get a PG.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#60 » by Nowitness » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:39 pm

Morse Code wrote:Raps fan here. I come in peace!

A platoon of Harris/Barea/Felton could work, but it's unlikely. I'm actually completely fine with it, think it would function well enough, but everybody is expecting them to go after Lin or Mo Williams. I think Lin would come easily if Parsons called and they told him he'd start. As for the cap, I'm no expert, but I think the MLE is the only major thing left, maybe just a little bit of cap space since Matthews will get less than the Kings offer most likely.
Nowitnessing a legend

Return to Dallas Mavericks