ImageImageImage

Charlie Villanueva

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Charlie Villanueva 

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 am

I really don't understand why Charlie Villanueva is getting minutes in this team.... Every time they pass the ball he thinks he is Ray Alley and start shooting some bricks... Why RC still give minutes to a F********* 32 years prospect that does not bring anything to team... Dwight Powell is not one of those prospects that go turn a franchise into something extraordinary but he can be very good in rotation. Jeremy Evans, Justin Anderson & Dwight Powell all bring something to the Mavs but they are in Carlisle's doghouse.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Re: Charlie Villanueva 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Charlie V makes fewer mental errors than Powell. He's a veteran and makes fewer bad plays. I personally agree with you that Powell should be getting more minutes instead of Charlie
V but Rick simply does not trust young players. Rick isn't going anywhere (note do I want him to) so we all are just going to have to get use to it.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,056

Post#3 » by Dirk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:32 pm

I wish reporters would ask more direct questions, so maybe we would understand why some decisions are made. We had a nice little story with Powell, then he's been in and out. He probably would answer in some generic way, but it definitely is frustrating to see some patterns.

Before coming to the Mavs, I never had this impression of Villanueva being such a gunner and taking so many "bad shots", as if he's a taller version of Curry. I know he is in there to bomb from three... but come on... do so when the shot is there for you and not always be so automatic.

His numbers have been terrible, as in... he should be on the roster bubble to be cut. Since the 1st of January, 10% from 3. First 20 games of the season 27% 3pfg. Last 21 games? 23%. It's bad. Last year he was a nice story, this year... not so much, can barely remember a game where he had impact. Last year he had several and was actually a weapon to have.

Powell supposedly was developing a three point shot, jacked them up in Summer League at a low percentage and that shot all but disappeared in the NBA when he also became more of a backup center. So in a way we know why he's getting more inconsistent playing time.
60/21/10
mxr2000
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#4 » by mxr2000 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:07 pm

I was impress by Salah's game the other day, why has been on the Inactive roster since then? we need more of a player like him, he move like a PF on that game. at the start of the season RC told to the Press that Salah could shoot from the Outside. If he proves that can play play the 4 and 5 that could add new dimension to the mavs..
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#5 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:23 am

mxr2000 wrote:I was impress by Salah's game the other day, why has been on the Inactive roster since then? we need more of a player like him, he move like a PF on that game. at the start of the season RC told to the Press that Salah could shoot from the Outside. If he proves that can play play the 4 and 5 that could add new dimension to the mavs..

Wouldn't expect Mejri to get much PT unless Zaza goes down for a length of time. However I do think Rick will play him now in that situation but probably only in that situation. Doubt that was the case before the Thunder game.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#6 » by Lord Cuban » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:07 am

Evans > CV

Evans is better defender, rebounder, blocker, dunker...Younger and more athletic....And Mavs need that...

Do Mavs really need CV & .237 3P% (this season)?
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#7 » by Lord Cuban » Mon Feb 1, 2016 10:13 am

I Don't know how many chances a guy can get. He is consistently terrible. I would much rather those minutes go to McGee, Powell, Mejri, Jenkins.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#8 » by Devassa » Mon Feb 1, 2016 5:16 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:I Don't know how many chances a guy can get. He is consistently terrible. I would much rather those minutes go to McGee, Powell, Mejri, Jenkins.

Exactly. Still not exactly sure why Jenkins doesn't get minutes anwyay
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,036

Post#9 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 2, 2016 4:50 pm

Devassa wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:I Don't know how many chances a guy can get. He is consistently terrible. I would much rather those minutes go to McGee, Powell, Mejri, Jenkins.

As simple as Carlisle loves his vets, why else did JJB get so many minutes yesterday? The man has no concept of developing talent or rotations, people think his coaching won the title in 2011, please, J Kidd did more coaching than he did and that was a much bigger factor.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#10 » by Devassa » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:47 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Devassa wrote:

As simple as Carlisle loves his vets, why else did JJB get so many minutes yesterday? The man has no concept of developing talent or rotations, people think his coaching won the title in 2011, please, J Kidd did more coaching than he did and that was a much bigger factor.

Because Harris was out and D-Will got injured in the first.. Not much left to choose from at the PG position after that happened.. Its why Jenkins actually saw time yesterday too.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#11 » by k-lynch201 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 9:50 pm

At the end of the guy the guy is here to hit 3's...and he is not doing that.

Ive grown tired of him, if he can turn it on post-all star break maybe hes worth 10 mins a game.

Return to Dallas Mavericks