ImageImageImage

Should the Mavs make a move this trade deadline?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Mon Feb 1, 2016 1:04 pm

Mavs owner Mark Cuban said “nothing is really tempting” as the trade deadline nears, Earl K. Sneed of Mavs.com tweets. Cuban added that he likes how the Mavs are currently constructed. Dallas is 28-22.

So this means that the Mavs a not likely to be part of some trades. As MFFL I would like to see the Mavs get at least a backup SF because we can't have Wes always as the backup SF. But I also have the opinion that the Mavs are not in any position to initiate a trade since they do not have sufficient player assets to offer for a talented player.

Should the Mavs make a move this trade deadline or ride to the sure 1st round exit?
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Re: Should the Mavs make a move this trade deadline? 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 1, 2016 1:42 pm

I think the last few weeks have proved that Parsons is much better suited as a stretch 4, which serves no purpose really on a team with Dirk, so trading him for a legit SF should be the ideal target, but of course they won't do it.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#3 » by Teffer10 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:52 pm

We have no major weaknesses or attitude issues so I don't see anything happening.
We'd simply be trading an average player for an average player most likely so any move would be virtually lateral.

Would love to pickup an Aminu/Marion type player but not sure how much PT he'd get anyway with Parsons getting most of the backup PF minutes and Rick's infatuation with playing PGs (moving Matthews to the 3).
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#4 » by Devassa » Mon Feb 1, 2016 5:15 pm

Would love it if we could get Danilo Galinari, but we have nothing to offer and I don't think any of Parsons/Matthews/Galinari would be ok with coming off the bench. I could see us trying to move Harris, Barea, or Charlie to get more bench help though.

The only problem with that is that
A) We won't get that much in return
B) Any actual decent player we would get would likely cost us Powell, Anderson, or a future pick
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:48 pm

No!!!! There is no way we should make a trade of a young player or draft pick for an older player to win this year. The Mavs are 5th - 7th best in the West. I don't see any moves that can make a big enough impact bring them up to the next tier. There is a fairly large gap between the Clippers and the Grizzlies, Mavs, and Rockets. Being 5th or 7th best doesn't matter anyway. It is a first round playoff defeat. I don't want to trade young for old right now.

On the flipside, I wouldn't mind the Mavs being a seller. The thing is we really don't have assets to sell that would get us a good, emerging player or first round pick. Zaza is the most marketable asset we have to sell and I don't see anyone giving more than a second round pick for him.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#6 » by fuller4379 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:55 pm

Then again, if we trade for Jeremy Lin we could have this lineup on the court at once:

Jeremy Lin
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Raymond Felton
J.J. Barea

Don't laugh. Carlisle would try it.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#7 » by The Sparest » Tue Feb 2, 2016 1:01 am

Teffer10 wrote:We have no major weaknesses or attitude issues so I don't see anything happening.
We'd simply be trading an average player for an average player most likely so any move would be virtually lateral.

Would love to pickup an Aminu/Marion type player but not sure how much PT he'd get anyway with Parsons getting most of the backup PF minutes and Rick's infatuation with playing PGs (moving Matthews to the 3).

I agree. Sure, I would like to get a guy like PJ Tucker or Jared Dudley, but it wouldn't improve us enough to justify the assets we would have to use to do it now, as opposed to waiting til the off season.

We just don't have the right assets to pull off the type of significant trade it would take to make a trade worthwhile for us at this point.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#8 » by k-lynch201 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 1:24 am

Doubtful anything short of blockbuster would put us in the title picture.

As a fan we want to see an exciting trade that improves us but its doubtful..were pretty much stuck as a mediocre back end playoff team.

We cant just trade for an expiring, Cuban knows its about the future..we have $$$ to spend this summer if we can lure anyone into town...
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#9 » by Darren » Tue Feb 2, 2016 10:30 am

I think we'll likely trade one PG for a quality rebounder. If nothng materialize, we'll probably clear one spot for a young prospect.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#10 » by daoneandonly » Tue Feb 2, 2016 3:49 pm

If they could get Al Horford for Chandler Parsons, that's what dreams are made of.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 3:54 pm

If we do make a trade it should be for a piece to benefit us next season more than this season.
Worm122
Senior
And1: 91

Post#12 » by Worm122 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 7:55 pm

Markief should be a nice move at the deadline
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#13 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 4, 2016 9:12 pm

I believe it's safe to assume that we're and have been pursing options to better ourselves to make a run.
However, I doubt any huge impact trades are possible to make, so I would only expect minor trades if one occurs.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 5, 2016 12:12 am

HMFFL wrote:I believe it's safe to assume that we're and have been pursing options to better ourselves to make a run.
However, I doubt any huge impact trades are possible to make, so I would only expect minor trades if one occurs.

yep we don't have any assets and we don't have a lot of flexibility in terms of matching contracts. Maybe a minor tweak for a backup wing or a shooter, but I wouldn't expect much.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#15 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 1:19 am

fuller4379 wrote:Then again, if we trade for Jeremy Lin we could have this lineup on the court at once:

Jeremy Lin
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Raymond Felton
J.J. Barea

Don't laugh. Carlisle would try it.

I laughed, then cried - because we all know it's true...
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#16 » by Soupman » Sat Feb 6, 2016 7:23 am

Maybe we can sign Joe Johnson to a one year deal after he gets bought out.

Maybe swing a deal for Pau Gasol for cheap if they decide to blow up there team.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#17 » by JES12 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:15 am

In order to make a trade, we have to have something tradeable and I just don't think we have anything other than expiring contracts of Deron, Felton and Zaza. All three of them are worth more to us than to them. Nobody wants the contracts of Barea, Matthews and Parsons. That leaves Dirk, Harris and a whole bunch of minimum player guys.
wfactor
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#18 » by wfactor » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:36 am

We don't have any assets. The only trade we'd make is a minor trade involving a role player and a pick.

Even if we find a trade partner for someone like Matthews or Parsons, we definitely won't get equal value back.
Check out my project, the 'Hulu' for live sports: www.sportle.tv
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#19 » by Soupman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Yes we have no assets so we have to sign a FA like Baron davis(this would make a funny series with the warriors) or maybe Joe Johnson if they buy him out.

Jimmy Butler,Jokim Noah(go after him in the offseason) Both injured. The bulls want a a smaller faster team with tweener 4's and flexibility. They might opt to blow up the team and reaplace everyone except Butler,Rose.

We could sign a fa to a cheap 1 year deal with a player option or trade for a decent pick to package in a trade later on in 2017.
We still can use 3m in cash to use in a trade.
We still own our pick for next season(just in case we start tanking)
With the cap increase we are in good shape next season. Just not this season.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.

Return to Dallas Mavericks