Jason Terry's Future

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Jason Terry's Future 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:50 am

Wants to Coach during the future and shadow a GM.
Wants to play for a contender.
May consider Dallas.

Not the retiring type, Jason Terry looking for a new team; Mavericks are in the conversation

Jason Terry will be 39 when next season begins, but he has no intentions of drifting away into retirement.

Terry said Thursday that he wants to play for two more seasons and then dive headfirst into either the coaching or management end of basketball.

And yes, he would very much consider a return to the Mavericks, where he had many of the best years of his career, including the 2011 championship.

"Not retiring at all," Terry said. "Just looking for another opportunity to get back on a contender. But if that opportunity doesn't present itself, still being able to go in and have an impact in the locker room on the younger players and provide quality minutes off the bench. My body feels great. My mind is still sharp."

And as for the Mavericks?

"If the opportunity presents itself then yes, but if it doesn't, then I have to explore my options," he said. "My home base is here in Dallas." http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2016/06/09/retiring-type-jason-terry-looking-new-team-mavericks-conversation
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Re: Jason Terry's Future 

Post#2 » by Devassa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 am

He is trash... Odds are he signs with Cleveland anyway.. I don't want him eating Simba's minutes simply because of nostalgia
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#3 » by jpengland » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 am

I really, really don't want Terry anywhere near the Mavs in the future tbh. Really dislikable guy.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#4 » by Dirk » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:18 pm

jpengland wrote:I really, really don't want Terry anywhere near the Mavs in the future tbh. Really dislikable guy.

Please elaborate on it.
60/21/10
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#5 » by Hadley » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:09 pm

I'd like him back.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#6 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:59 pm

jpengland wrote:I really, really don't want Terry anywhere near the Mavs in the future tbh. Really dislikable guy.

Yea I'd like to hear you elaborate on this too. The only fans I know that really dislike Terry are Spurs fans. And that has more to do with that but punch he gave Finley a few years ago.

I personally wouldn't mind Terry coming back. He'd be a decent 8th/9th guy off the bench. He was great for the a Mavs locker room. It will never happen though. Mavs I think want to go younger. Not rookie younger, but younger than Terry. And I'm ok with that too.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#7 » by jpengland » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:42 pm

He flops, runs his mouth too much and generally I find him to be very, very punchable.

Also not a huge fan of his religious agenda. Got a Mark Jackson vibe to him.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#8 » by Darren » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Hadley wrote:I'd like him back.

I won't mind have him back as a bench player who rarely plays. But I am not a fan of him coaching. He makes bad decisions down the stretch. He's not a good decision makers during his career. He's a competitor, though.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Who cares. I was done with Jason Terry when that douchebag got the Boston Celtics tattoo. Even more done when he went to Houston. I have no desire to see him coach in Dallas either unless it's for the WNBA team. I can not think of any good reason at all to sign Terry unless Dirk really wants him back for some reason.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:27 am

Dirk loves JET. He's even playing in Dirk's annual charity softball game in Frisco. That doesn't mean he would want him back but if he though JET would help the team he'd definitely want him back on the team.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#11 » by JES12 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I would love Terry back as part of this team, but not as one of the 15 man active roster spots.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:10 am

JES12 wrote:I would love Terry back as part of this team, but not as one of the 15 man active roster spots.

I concur.
I spoke to Terry the last time I worked in Houston. He mentioned how frustrating it was to try to do is part with Dwight Howard and James Harden.

The last time Dwight Howard visited TNT studios in Atlanta. A former coworker told me that Dwight Howard said he's lost himself during recent years and he intends on joining a team that suits his old style best. That can be promising.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#13 » by catalyst » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:05 pm

He lost me when he demandeded his number to be retired. I was already out on him after the nut punches in the past.

SInce I want mavs to blow up and start the post dirk era, there is no way he needs to be playing here, and I believe his ego prevents him from being an effective coach/FO guy. I see Brett Hull all over again. Lots of noise and nothing positive.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#14 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:03 pm

I wouldn't mind having him back if Rick would limit his usage to situational/insurance but we know Rick couldn't resist the temptation to play him in the clutch so no thanks.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#15 » by Nowitness » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:36 am

I never heard a negative thing about him when he was with the Mavs, he was my favorite player in the league during that time. If he's willing to play here and there like he seemed to this season, I'd welcome him back with open arms.
Nowitnessing a legend
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#16 » by The Sparest » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 am

I wish JET the best, but not here with the Mavs.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#17 » by bran muffin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:12 am

The Mavs have already had plenty of opportunities to get Jet back, and they've passed on him every single time. Before Jet left Dallas for Boston, he took the Celtics' offer to Dallas and asked them to match it. They didn't. When the Nets started dismantling their team, Jet wanted to be traded to Dallas. The Mavs didn't bite, and so the Nets shipped Jet to Sacramento instead. Before Jet signed with the Rockets as a free agent, he was practically campaigning in local Dallas radio stations for the Mavs to sign him. They didn't.

I don't know how people can blame Jet for signing with the Rockets when the Mavs have rejected Jet over... and over... and over... again. I actually feel sorry for him.

Jet will never be a Hall-of-Famer. He was never even an All-Star. Outside of Dallas, none of the other teams he played for will remember him. The only place where he left a lasting mark as a sports figure was in Dallas. And so having his jersey hang on the rafters at American Airlines Center is the closest thing Jet could've had to a lasting legacy. Which is probably why Jet campaigned so hard for it. And it's also why he's tried so hard to finish his career in Dallas. He wants to be remembered as a Maverick -- like Brad Davis and Ro Blackman and Derek Harper. He doesn't want to become some forgotten basketball player who happen to have played in Dallas for a few years.

I doubt Carlisle wants Jet back as a player, or as a coach. But I hope Mark Cuban finds him a cushy job in the front office.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#18 » by Darren » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:20 pm

I wonder what kind of management job he's working for. For his poor decision-making, he doesn't suit coach position. For his bad mouthing, he doesn't suit GM position. For his steaky shooting, he doesn't suit shooting coach position. I want Dirk back for this position, anyway. Maybe scout? I don't know. But he's no PG. I don't think he reads players good enough. My ultimate thought is that commentator is the only position suits him somewhat.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Darren wrote:I wonder what kind of management job he's working for. For his poor decision-making, he doesn't suit coach position. For his bad mouthing, he doesn't suit GM position. For his steaky shooting, he doesn't suit shooting coach position. I want Dirk back for this position, anyway. Maybe scout? I don't know. But he's no PG. I don't think he reads players good enough. My ultimate thought is that commentator is the only position suits him somewhat.

PR, the knows how to entertain the fans. Have him do something within the arena to get the fans hype. Have him coordinate all the stuff that goes on pre game, and during the game. He was also always great in the community. Have him be the guy that works with the charities.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Team Chaplain would probably be fitting for him.

Return to Dallas Mavericks