ImageImageImage

Harrison Barnes

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#161 » by Darren » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 am

Yes, he did pretty well. He's easily the second best defenders after Jimmy Butler. He doesn't bite on pump fakes. And he always active to stop offensive players with dribbing and contests shots tightly. Offensely, his game is limited to jump shots, create space and jump shots, and make 1 dribbles and jump shots. But he's playing under control and does not force any issues even if his skills are limited. He still makes shots at high rate.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#162 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:40 am

I still want him to develop a back to the basket game. With his shooting touch and athletic ability I also think he could be dominant from mid-range.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#163 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:07 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHe99ohaDvM
Team USA 1 on 1 Drill | Team USA Guards Go Head To Head

The Team USA guards get into it 1 on 1 in a drill that limits you to 2 dribbles. Check out how Kyrie Irving, D'Angelo Russell, Jimmy Butler, Demar Derozan, Harrison Barnes, and Kyle Lowry use those 2 dribbles to create shots!

The 15:34 mark in that video is very interesting. Could he be trying to recruit the Mavs next Center?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,029

Post#164 » by Dirk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:26 am

Interesting article here. The Warriors really didn't show much class with Barnes. There for four years and shown very little appreciation.

"I guess I died," Barnes said with a shoulder shrug, before breaking into a smile. He then explained why he was prepared for his departure.

"Dwight trade rumors. Kevin Love trade rumors. Kevin Durant ... oh, that one happened. There's been a few instances where you consider what might happen. I was just more so glad to be there as long as I was."

http://www.mercurynews.com/marcus-thompson/ci_30150813/thompson-harrison-barnes-ready-move
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM

Post#165 » by Darren » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYl2PnvknQ

I find a fall-back plan for Harrison Barnes if he can't develop the playmaking skills. I find another unathletic team that accommodate an able runner and shooter as their go-to guy.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#166 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:29 pm

Darren wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYl2PnvknQ

I find a fall-back plan for Harrison Barnes if he can't develop the playmaking skills. I find another unathletic team that accommodate an able runner and shooter as their go-to guy.

Sorry, what?

Fall back plan is that Barnes develops into Reggie Miller?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,029

Post#167 » by Dirk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:28 pm

jpengland wrote:

Sorry, what?

Yes: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1432945&p=48820790#p48820790

:D
60/21/10
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Re: Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#168 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Sorry, what?

Yes: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1432945&p=48820790#p48820790

:D

Christ.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Harrison Barnes 

Post#169 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:42 pm

I heard a better player comparison for Barnes this morning on The Fan. I think it was Mike Basik that was saying Barnes is more similar to Mike Finley. Both really good shooters with suspect handles. Both are/were good defenders (Finley was prior to playing in Nellie's system for a few years). Both like to blow by defenders when the defender is closing out on them. The main difference is Barnes is bigger.

Both are also high character guys.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#170 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Barnes is a c level player making a level money, he's really just an average defender
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#171 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:43 am

Pinkyring wrote:Barnes is a c level player making a level money, he's really just an average defender

I'd agree with Barnes currently being a C level player. He's definitely getting overpaid. Almost every player that signed with a new team is getting overpaid, minus KD and a few that got minimum deals. That's free agency. He's average at defending each position 1-5, which makes him an above average defender. Not many players can defend a PG and a center.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#172 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:58 am

Black Falcon wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Barnes is a c level player making a level money, he's really just an average defender

I'd agree with Barnes currently being a C level player. He's definitely getting overpaid. Almost every player that signed with a new team is getting overpaid, minus KD and a few that got minimum deals. That's free agency. He's average at defending each position 1-5, which makes him an above average defender. Not many players can defend a PG and a center.

What pg and center does he defend because i missed that
Darren
RealGM

Post#173 » by Darren » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:00 am

Black Falcon wrote:

If he can really defend the likes of CP3, I will consider him a top-notch defenders. I really don't want him to bulk up and lose his quickness. We don't need him to guard the likes of centers. For the defender that could guard 1-5, I'd rather have Justin Anderson. He's very similar to VC and Barkley.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#174 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:18 am

Anderson and Barnes need to play together and grow some chemistry. Wes I wonder if we can use him as a PG any?
Darren
RealGM

Post#175 » by Darren » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:11 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Anderson and Barnes need to play together and grow some chemistry. Wes I wonder if we can use him as a PG any?

I feel the same. Anderson can guard bigger players while Barnes can guard more speedy players.

If Barnes can run without affecting his rhythm in shooting, he's really a nightmare to be guarded by random 6-5/6-6 SG. At 6-8, he will be able to shoot from outside like layups. If he's a quick release like Peja, then I think he can silence his doubters sooner than later. He's more Klay Thompson than Draymond Green. If you can guard the likes of CP3 defensively, he'll deserve his max deal immediately. He's potentially even better than Reggie Miller with his percentage and defense. He'll develop some playmaking skills at later stage of his career. Thinking of Peja with defense and even able to shutdown the likes of CP3, his prospect playing at 2 is much easier than playing 3/4. He just needs to run like crazy and compete with Dirk in shooting practice every day.

Meanwhile, Anderson can already guard random power forward. If he doesn't force issues with poor shot selection, he can get a lot of backdoor cuts and put backs. Anderson's more potential to absorb contact and convert high percentage of layups. I surely want him to develop playmaking skills before Harrison Barnes. Indeed, he's some playmaking skills in d-league games. He does play like Lebron. However, his handles are now exposed in summer league. We would better help him fix it immediately. I won't if he can play defense like Josh Howard in his first 2 years in the league. Howard makes it tough for people to receive the ball with his long arms. And then, he steals at high rate when somebody else put the ball on the grounds. Potentially, Anderson can even block at high rate. He's Draymond's potential. Similarly, both of them don't need the ball to be effective. Anderson can crash the boards more aggressively like Josh did. When he develops consistently jumpers from 18 feet up, he's a starting caliber player already. This date should not be too far away.
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#176 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:38 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:

What pg and center does he defend because i missed that

GS switched on every possession the last 2 years. The death squad which was one of the best 5 man lineups ever statistically both offensively and defensively, was based off of everyones versatility (except for stephs) guarding switches. Barnes held his own against most Pgs he faced. From Lilliard to Westbrook to Chris Paul. Sure he got beat on occassion, but it's the NBA, everyone gets beat. But he was able to stay in front of and contain the best of Pgs on many occasion. There aren't any good offensive centers in the league minus cousins. He was able to guard most of them with ease....maybe because they all suck, maybe it's because he has a solid anchor and doesn't get bullied down there.

If your point is that most centers will eat him on the offensive boards, your right. That's his issue as a 4. He's just not a very instinct rebounder. But he's not an average defender. He certainly wasn't given a max contract because of his offense.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#177 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 am

Have you guys watched any of the Team USA practices? They're on YouTube. They do a one on one drill (the whole team from guards to centers) where they have to beat their man using only 2 dribbles. Barnes did a pretty good job defending every man he went against.

Ideally you don't want him guarding centers or quick PG's but he can definitely guard 3 positions. Anderson could likely guard 4. Barnes is light years ahead of Anderson when it comes to shooting. Having both of these guys means we should see less of that 3 guard lineup we've seen the last few years. Especially while Dirk is still playing.
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#178 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Mr B wrote:Have you guys watched any of the Team USA practices? They're on YouTube. They do a one on one drill (the whole team from guards to centers) where they have to beat their man using only 2 dribbles. Barnes did a pretty good job defending every man he went against.

Ideally you don't want him guarding centers or quick PG's but he can definitely guard 3 positions. Anderson could likely guard 4. Barnes is light years ahead of Anderson when it comes to shooting. Having both of these guys means we should see less of that 3 guard lineup we've seen the last few years. Especially while Dirk is still playing.

I've been watching Barnes defend 1-5 adequately for the last 3 years. His only improvement since joining the NBA is his defense. As a rookie, his defense was below average. The last 3 years, his defense has improved each year. He's not going to get many steals or blocks. He rarely forces turnovers. He focuses on staying in front of his man and when he gets beat, uses his length and strength to get back in position. There will be times where he looks a fool, but overall he's consistent with giving it his all on D and is rarely taken advantage of
Darren
RealGM

Post#179 » by Darren » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes, I read the scouting report on Barnes. He's been described as good catch-and-shooter; with tools to be effective defender; strong work ethics and good basketball IQ; struggle to create shots for himself (except getting shots off 1-2 dribbes) or others. I think we'll disappoint somewhat if we use him as playmakers. I'd rather we just use him as catch-n-shooter off some behind-and-seek. Let him familiar with his teamates and find some rhythms before asking him to go all the way to a role exceptionally strange to him.

We've a lot to offer as a team. We've got post-up, motion-offense, pick-n-roll, pick-n-path, alley-ops, backdoor cuts, putbacks, passing game, one-on-one and potentially inside-out at some point of the future when AJ's matures. I can care less about his playmaking. He will develop him when he's comfortable with. We don't need a single textbook / recipe for success. I think Barnes can be highly successful as a Peja-like player. From the one-on-one practice, I find that you're right: he doesn't gamble for steals / blocks. He doesn't bite on pump fakes. He just put pressures when the opponents put the ball on the ground. And he contests shots when it sets off. People do not realize how good he is. From my observations, he's the second best defenders on the US team next to Jimmer Butler. He's the only one that do not bite on pump fakes and do not allow offensive players to drive pass him. Not even Kyrie Irving. However, there's something strange to me. He shoots 100%. He never puts the ball on the gound. Reggie Miller / Peja Stojakovic is the role better suited him. And his 7-foot wingspan and foot speed help him tremendously as a versatile defender. If we ask him to bulk up, he won't be effective again. I'd rather keep him running. Not trying to be the go-to guy. We don't need a clear first/second/third option. We're some versatile. We should dictate the matchup from nightly basis. Otherwise, it's difficult from minutes distribution and stamina management standpoint.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#180 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Darren wrote:Yes, I read the scouting report on Barnes. He's been described as good catch-and-shooter; with tools to be effective defender; strong work ethics and good basketball IQ; struggle to create shots for himself (except getting shots off 1-2 dribbes) or others. I think we'll disappoint somewhat if we use him as playmakers. I'd rather we just use him as catch-n-shooter off some behind-and-seek. Let him familiar with his teamates and find some rhythms before asking him to go all the way to a role exceptionally strange to him.

We've a lot to offer as a team. We've got post-up, motion-offense, pick-n-roll, pick-n-path, alley-ops, backdoor cuts, putbacks, passing game, one-on-one and potentially inside-out at some point of the future when AJ's matures. I can care less about his playmaking. He will develop him when he's comfortable with. We don't need a single textbook / recipe for success. I think Barnes can be highly successful as a Peja-like player. From the one-on-one practice, I find that you're right: he doesn't gamble for steals / blocks. He doesn't bite on pump fakes. He just put pressures when the opponents put the ball on the ground. And he contests shots when it sets off. People do not realize how good he is. From my observations, he's the second best defenders on the US team next to Jimmer Butler. He's the only one that do not bite on pump fakes and do not allow offensive players to drive pass him. Not even Kyrie Irving. However, there's something strange to me. He shoots 100%. He never puts the ball on the gound. Reggie Miller / Peja Stojakovic is the role better suited him. And his 7-foot wingspan and foot speed help him tremendously as a versatile defender. If we ask him to bulk up, he won't be effective again. I'd rather keep him running. Not trying to be the go-to guy. We don't need a clear first/second/third option. We're some versatile. We should dictate the matchup from nightly basis. Otherwise, it's difficult from minutes distribution and stamina management standpoint.

According to what I've heard Carlisle say they plan to develop his offensive game. In GS he was the 4th option at best. In Dallas he's immediately the second option on offense and they plan to groom him to be the 1st option. Remember he's still only 24, he still has a long way to go before his game has finished developing. He'll be more than just a catch and shoot guy.

Return to Dallas Mavericks