ImageImageImage

Harrison Barnes

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#241 » by Darren » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:08 pm

He's only 6-8. So I am not expecting as much rebounding statistics as a guy who's listed 6-10. If he works inside for some offensive boards, his rebounding number won't be very bad. But still, to reach Matrix's level is still a rather unrealistic goals. As long as he shows improvement, we should take that. He's too much to prove in a very short time. We've to be patience.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#242 » by bakesale » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:09 am

2011Champs wrote:
Johnstarks wrote:
2011Champs wrote:If Barnes can be as good as a defender as Shawn Marion and also knock down some threes than he will be perfect for Dallas. I doubt Barnes looks anywhere close to a max player statistically on offense. In my opinion he will be an ideal addition if he can be the starting SF here in Dallas the next 10 years.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect him to be anywhere near as good of a defender as one of the most versatile defenders in league history. I do think he can start for you but he's a much better pf than sf

My concern for Barnes playing power forward is centered around his rather soft rebounding numbers. Is Barnes not focusing on the boards or is he just a poor rebounder in general? I'd really want my power forward grabbing a minimum of 7 boards a game and preferably more.

He's the size of a typical sf in the NBA and only plays pf in spurts for the Warriors. I wouldn't go labelling him a pf and expecting 7+ rebounds from him, he's not a legit pf.

As for his role on the team? I think he could average around 15ppg. He will work on his shooting after the Olympics. Last year was interesting, he started the year shooting beautifully. Then he got an ankle injury. After coming back from his ankle injury for some reason he lost his confidence in his jump shot. It went from good to being bad and culminating in being truly awful in the finals. As a fan I felt sorry for him because I know he can do better.

It's hard to know what to expect but I'm hoping in a new season on a new team he will find his confidence again. He does work extremely hard on his game in the off season but frankly only shows a very low set of improvement from season to season. I think a lot of it stems from his ball handling. It seems as though that's easily his biggest limitation. His dribble is too high and easy to steal from. Bogut has better handles than Barnes lol
But it was also Bogut who keeps insisting that his guy Barnes could be a 20ppg scorer in this league.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#243 » by Left*My*Heart » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:07 pm

A Warriors' fan commenting on Barnes here.

I have been one of the most outspoken critics of Harrison Barnes. He is virtually size wise and athletically, Kenneth Faried. You can compare their pre-draft combine drills, size etc. Some believe his smallish hands for his size create a lot of problems for him handling the ball etc.

That is where the comparison ends. Faried plays with a passion and heart. Barnes seems fearful of stepping out of his comfort zone. I think he is capable of a lot more, than what he has shown so far in his career. He is a good guy, a very hard worker and will be a model citizen.

On the court, he has not established himself an identity. He isn't a very good rebounder, he can hit the three, but he is very inconsistent. He has a hard time taking advantage of mismatches. Lue hid in Irving on him and he couldn't take advantage of him during the finals. Pop will put Parker on him, so he could defend Curry and Thompson with his better defenders, again, Barnes isn't able to make Pop pay.

When Barnes refused to re-sign with the Warriors for 16 mil, I think put a lot of pressure on him to perform. I thought at the start of the season, he showed a lot of things that we all thought he could do. He was driving to the basket and finishing with authority. he as a lot more aggressive. He then sprained his ankle and that curtailed his impressive start. He seemed to regress when he came back from his ankle injury, possible concerned with hurting it again and being on a contract year.

He did start for the Warriors, but I believe there was more to that, than what appears on the surface. He did not take the benching well when Jackson had him coming off the bench. He struggled with the second unit. Kerr starting him, helped limit Iguodala's minutes, hid Barnes' flaws with the starting unit, kept Barnes ego elevated and probably missing some other points.

His real value was playing PF in the Warriors small ball lineup. Some say he gets too much credit for his defensive efforts against the leagues tougher PFs, as they feel Bogut is the one that had his back. I think Barnes is a better undersized stretch 4, than a SF. I think he lacks court vision and the handles to be a solid perimeter player.

My hope for him was to be consistent. He didn't have to average a double double, but even 13 points and 6 rebounds a game, isn't a lot. His career numbers are 10 and 5, if he could just do that every night. There are too many wild swings and bad shooting nights. He has a tendency to be too passive and at times you wonder if he is even on the court. With that, because of who he was playing with, taking a backseat, probably wasn't the worse thing.

He is a good kid and I hope Carlisle is able to get him to assert himself. If I had to guess, I think he over thinks things, instead of just playing basketball. There is going to be a huge amount of pressure on him to perform at a level he hasn't. I hope he handles the pressure and doesn't become overly fearful of failing. He really needs to step out of his comfort zone and try and reach that potential we have all heard so much about. I'm glad Bogut is there to help him.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#244 » by Suka Bongcic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:00 am

Left*My*Heart wrote:A Warriors' fan commenting on Barnes here.

I have been one of the most outspoken critics of Harrison Barnes. He is virtually size wise and athletically, Kenneth Faried. You can compare their pre-draft combine drills, size etc. Some believe his smallish hands for his size create a lot of problems for him handling the ball etc.

That is where the comparison ends. Faried plays with a passion and heart. Barnes seems fearful of stepping out of his comfort zone. I think he is capable of a lot more, than what he has shown so far in his career. He is a good guy, a very hard worker and will be a model citizen.

On the court, he has not established himself an identity. He isn't a very good rebounder, he can hit the three, but he is very inconsistent. He has a hard time taking advantage of mismatches. Lue hid in Irving on him and he couldn't take advantage of him during the finals. Pop will put Parker on him, so he could defend Curry and Thompson with his better defenders, again, Barnes isn't able to make Pop pay.

When Barnes refused to re-sign with the Warriors for 16 mil, I think put a lot of pressure on him to perform. I thought at the start of the season, he showed a lot of things that we all thought he could do. He was driving to the basket and finishing with authority. he as a lot more aggressive. He then sprained his ankle and that curtailed his impressive start. He seemed to regress when he came back from his ankle injury, possible concerned with hurting it again and being on a contract year.

He did start for the Warriors, but I believe there was more to that, than what appears on the surface. He did not take the benching well when Jackson had him coming off the bench. He struggled with the second unit. Kerr starting him, helped limit Iguodala's minutes, hid Barnes' flaws with the starting unit, kept Barnes ego elevated and probably missing some other points.

His real value was playing PF in the Warriors small ball lineup. Some say he gets too much credit for his defensive efforts against the leagues tougher PFs, as they feel Bogut is the one that had his back. I think Barnes is a better undersized stretch 4, than a SF. I think he lacks court vision and the handles to be a solid perimeter player.

My hope for him was to be consistent. He didn't have to average a double double, but even 13 points and 6 rebounds a game, isn't a lot. His career numbers are 10 and 5, if he could just do that every night. There are too many wild swings and bad shooting nights. He has a tendency to be too passive and at times you wonder if he is even on the court. With that, because of who he was playing with, taking a backseat, probably wasn't the worse thing.

He is a good kid and I hope Carlisle is able to get him to assert himself. If I had to guess, I think he over thinks things, instead of just playing basketball. There is going to be a huge amount of pressure on him to perform at a level he hasn't. I hope he handles the pressure and doesn't become overly fearful of failing. He really needs to step out of his comfort zone and try and reach that potential we have all heard so much about. I'm glad Bogut is there to help him.

It's been longer than expected for you to explode your hatred for Barnes on the Mavs forums. He's not your problem anymore. Get over it. Now just hope steph doesn't disappear in the finals again and draymond will actually play in every game.

Regarding your comment about pop hiding Parker on Barnes....did you even watch that series? He was given the name playoff Barnes on your very own forum for what he did to Parker. Your hatred for him has clearly clouded your vision. I stopped reading you post 1/4 through. As always. Good luck sir.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#245 » by michaelm » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Black Falcon wrote:

It's been longer than expected for you to explode your hatred for Barnes on the Mavs forums. He's not your problem anymore. Get over it. Now just hope steph doesn't disappear in the finals again and draymond will actually play in every game.

Regarding your comment about pop hiding Parker on Barnes....did you even watch that series? He was given the name playoff Barnes on your very own forum for what he did to Parker. Your hatred for him has clearly clouded your vision. I stopped reading you post 1/4 through. As always. Good luck sir.

Barnes was playing quite well last season before he suffered the high ankle sprain, after which he copped criticism from all and sundry, including the suggestion that even some team-mates had doubts, to the effect that he was malingering and delaying his return because he wanted to preserve himself and not risk anything in a contract year. High ankle sprains are chancy injuries in terms of recovery time, although something from which complete recovery is usual, even if surgery is required.

I believe he may still not have completely recovered, and that any elite ability he does have is strongly dependent on his athleticism. I think this is more likely than him suddenly completely losing it forever, particularly since there was no dispute from anyone that he actually suffered that injury.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,603

Post#246 » by Dirk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Black Falcon wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nothing in his post screams "hater". And who knows, he may have been one in the Warriors forum? But that's totally irrelevant here. He made a post offering his perspective as a Warrior fan and should be respected.

I read the Warriors forum, they had two major threads on Barnes, regardless of whether they got Durant or not, most posters didn't really like Barnes. That's normal. Most Mav fans didn't like Parsons as well... it's just the way things work... usually every team has a player or two that most fans will develop a "hate" and in most cases exaggerated.

If you disagree with Warrior fans, then just debate the things you think they are wrong about. No need for animosity on the Mavs board.
60/21/10
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#247 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nothing in his post screams "hater". And who knows, he may have been one in the Warriors forum? But that's totally irrelevant here. He made a post offering his perspective as a Warrior fan and should be respected.

I read the Warriors forum, they had two major threads on Barnes, regardless of whether they got Durant or not, most posters didn't really like Barnes. That's normal. Most Mav fans didn't like Parsons as well... it's just the way things work... usually every team has a player or two that most fans will develop a "hate" and in most cases exaggerated.

If you disagree with Warrior fans, then just debate the things you think they are wrong about. No need for animosity on the Mavs board.

I'm a Warriors' fan. I want every Warriors' player to be successful and root against none of them. I'm also not a player homer, I will critique every player the same and honestly don't have a favorite Warrior player.

I'm giving your board what I perceive is a very fair perspective on Barnes. I truly hope he breaks out for you and reaches that untapped potential that you hopefully will see consistently. I love nothing more than see my favorite NBA player, Dirk, make a long playoff run.

Barnes has been a real challenge for me and I admit it. He has all the potential in the world, but hasn't been able to put it all together.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,473

Post#248 » by dc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I'm a Warriors' fan. I want every Warriors' player to be successful and root against none of them. I'm also not a player homer, I will critique every player the same and honestly don't have a favorite Warrior player.

I'm giving your board what I perceive is a very fair perspective on Barnes. I truly hope he breaks out for you and reaches that untapped potential that you hopefully will see consistently. I love nothing more than see my favorite NBA player, Dirk, make a long playoff run.

Barnes has been a real challenge for me and I admit it. He has all the potential in the world, but hasn't been able to put it all together.

I'm also a Warrior fan and I was excited when we drafted Barnes and definitely rooted for him from start to finish during his time with us. I thought he was a good pick and he had a really solid rookie season. I was disappointed to see him regress in his 2nd season when he came off the bench after we got Iggy. Mark Jackson wanted him to anchor the bench, but it just wasn't his game. Jackson's coaching and penchant for ISO plays didn't help much either.

Kerr did everyone (Iggy, Barnes, team) a huge favor when he put Barnes back in the starting lineup. Made Barnes and the bench more productive and it kept a no longer young Iggy fresh for most of the season and playoffs. He was better his 3rd year and looked like a slight improvement to his rookie year.

As has been stated, he started off last season pretty well, but the high ankle sprain in December hurt him. And he was clearly affected by the Durant rumors when they came out in February. Fair or not, I wanted to see him man up and play through those distractions, but it likely affected him.

My biggest disappointment with Barnes was whenever one of the Big 3 were out due to rest or injury, everyone would say in the pre-game, "All right, here's Barnes chance to really step up." And he'd come through with something like an 8 point, 3 rebound game where you would barely notice the guy. Outside of this year's Finals, those were the times when Warrior were most anguished with him. He needed to be better than that.

Whatever the case, Barnes was wise to turn down the $16M/year deal from the Warriors last year, as it's now obvious. He's not dumb and it would've been dumb to take a discount to stay with the Warriors. He knew they weren't committed to him the same way they were committed to Dray/Klay. That's why those guys had no problems taking the deals they got; they knew the team was committed to them. Same couldn't be said for Barnes. A discounted contract would've made him easier to trade, so the end result for him would be taking a paycut to wind up in a place he might not want to be in.

I like Harrison Barnes. Great guy, works hard and he won't do stupid things to embarrass a franchise. I'll say up front that we're disappointed he didn't become a better player for us, but we always rooted for him to succeed, because we needed him. Perhaps he needed the experience and a change of scenery for that to happen. Maybe the responsibility of being a true #2 option on a nightly basis paired up with Carlisle's coaching ends up getting the most out of him. Good luck to Harrison.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Johnstarks
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#249 » by Johnstarks » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:02 pm

I just think for every player who "shines" when given an increased role there are 4-5 whose limitations become even more apparent.

Barnes is a nice addition in the sense he replaces dirk without any real dropoff and he spaces the floor. But I can't see the logic in locking up role players to max deals before youve identified a star player to build around. This team is basically void of tradeable assets, good draft picks, and young talent.

They are just cashing in on profitability during the dirk era. It's going to lead to a potentially really ugly rebuild. Bogut and deron have very little left in the tank and Matthews can't be expected to age well on torn achilles.

If you had to pick the least likely team in the western conference to reach a WCF in the next 7 years, it would be Dallas, right? I'm not saying they can't do it, I just think I could make a solid argument for every single other team in the west.

I think this was clearly the season to tear it all down. Let dirk ply out his kobe contract or trade him midyear to a contender for a future first . let deron walk.., let parsons walk... absorb bogut for free and attempt to trade him before the deadline... avoid all these ridiculously overpriced deals... land one of the very attractive top 6 picks in this draft.. go into next summer with a ton of cap space, playing time to offer, etc. This is an optimal year to tank because even if the lotto balls don't bounce your way you can still walk away with a top prospect.
I still can't believe they dumped crowder... yuck
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#250 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:06 am

Johnstarks wrote:I just think for every player who "shines" when given an increased role there are 4-5 whose limitations become even more apparent.

Barnes is a nice addition in the sense he replaces dirk without any real dropoff and he spaces the floor. But I can't see the logic in locking up role players to max deals before youve identified a star player to build around. This team is basically void of tradeable assets, good draft picks, and young talent.

They are just cashing in on profitability during the dirk era. It's going to lead to a potentially really ugly rebuild. Bogut and deron have very little left in the tank and Matthews can't be expected to age well on torn achilles.

If you had to pick the least likely team in the western conference to reach a WCF in the next 7 years, it would be Dallas, right? I'm not saying they can't do it, I just think I could make a solid argument for every single other team in the west.

I think this was clearly the season to tear it all down. Let dirk ply out his kobe contract or trade him midyear to a contender for a future first . let deron walk.., let parsons walk... absorb bogut for free and attempt to trade him before the deadline... avoid all these ridiculously overpriced deals... land one of the very attractive top 6 picks in this draft.. go into next summer with a ton of cap space, playing time to offer, etc. This is an optimal year to tank because even if the lotto balls don't bounce your way you can still walk away with a top prospect.

This isn't ground breaking news. 95% of us feel the same way.

Fact is, for better or worse, it wasn't an option with Mark Cuban (and to a lesser extent, Rick Carlisle) at the helm. It's going to be a super rough transition in 2018. We are prepared [I think]. Pray for us.

xx
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#251 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Johnstarks wrote:I just think for every player who "shines" when given an increased role there are 4-5 whose limitations become even more apparent.

I mean most of this is true.

But we aren't going to tear down while Dirk is here. That's not the right decision for the franchise, but considering how much Dirk has meant to the team and the city I can live with it. They haven't made decisions like the Blazers just did locking themselves into mediocrity for a long time with all those contracts. We can get really bad really quickly as soon as Dirk retires if we choose.

I'd agree we have the least attractive collection of assets in the conference and only 2nd to the Nets in the entire Association. But I'd still take our chances ahead of a number of other teams because we have strong ownership and leadership. And as a John Starks fan I'd assume you are aware of how poorly the Knicks have been managed for a long time and understand just how important that is.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#252 » by Darren » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:45 pm

He played some minutes against Serbia. He still takes the ball too high on drive. That results in a turnover. I think we should develop his mentality first. He doesn't seem to be ready for the new role. He still thinks he's the 4th / 5th option on court. He needs to model after somebody else in his first year. I don't think we should put somebody's shoes on him. Instead, we can see what shoes he wants to fit in. And we go from there.
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#253 » by kaiballz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 am

HB was always the subject of constant criticism by gsw fans and i got into many debates over the years defending him. I wont lie, part of the reason why i was defending him (and a big part), is because he was my team's player. I hope that he will find his real home in Dallas and be loved by the fans because he was never truly at home in gsw, whether among the team or with the fans.

If you are expecting to get a 20ppg or even worse, a 20/5/5 player like i saw someone post here, let me tell you that i watch every single minute of every game and it is not possible unless you are okay with a huge efficiency drop off which is pointless. The one good thing HB learnt offensively in gsw is efficient basketball. Give up a good shot for a better one. Forcing him to be a scorer at the cost of his efficiency will just undo that good mentality he learnt here at gsw.

16/7/2? That is more than possible. And he will be capable of doing that with good efficiency. above 45% fg certainly, and closer to 50% than 45. Many gsw fans forgot because of his poor performance this year, but in our championship year, HB showed that he could hella stroke it from deep. During that year, you got him in the corner for an open three and it was going in. Hb is a very confidence reliant shooter, but when he feels good he can shoot the rock really well. He can post up efficiently against point guards and he knows how to take advantage of mismatches. But you dont want to make him fall in love with iso ball. We saw how terrible that was with jackson.

Also, the kid is athletic as fk.

Ill be very interested in the mavs this coming season seeing as 2 of our ex players from the championship year are there. Is hb overpaid? certainly. is it a waste of money? i dont think so. you will be getting an efficient scorer who can D all 5 positions decently enough.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#254 » by Teffer10 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Must admit I don't know much about Barnes and appreciate all of the input and insight from GSW fans.

Based on what I'm reading, is it fair to compare him to Matrix?
Things Iike athletic as hell, high dribble, great defender, same size, can shoot the 3, great character, etc.... all sounds like Marion.

Marion was never a max player but was a huge piece for our championship. If Barnes can become another Marion I'd be fine with that. It seems that expecting anything more would be a setup for disappointment.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#255 » by Nowitness » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:17 am

If Barnes is Matrix, he is old, Mavericks Matrix, but I don't think he's that, he's something else. Really don't know how to predict this guy's production, feel like a lot will lie on Carlisle's magic.
Nowitnessing a legend
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,473

Post#256 » by dc » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:08 am

Teffer10 wrote:Must admit I don't know much about Barnes and appreciate all of the input and insight from GSW fans.

Based on what I'm reading, is it fair to compare him to Matrix?
Things Iike athletic as hell, high dribble, great defender, same size, can shoot the 3, great character, etc.... all sounds like Marion.

Marion was never a max player but was a huge piece for our championship. If Barnes can become another Marion I'd be fine with that. It seems that expecting anything more would be a setup for disappointment.

After watching him for 4 years, I can tell you he is nothing like the prime Shawn Marion. Not even the same category, really. The only thing they have in common is similar size and the fact that both were probably most effective as small ball 4's. That's basically it.

Marion in his prime was a double digit rebounder and a top tier defender at multiple positions. Barnes is a so-so rebounder (on a W's team that could have used better rebounding) and an adequate defender at multiple positions. Again, that's adequate in that he has the versatility to guard multiple guys and not be a liability, but he's also not shutting anyone down.

Marion was also one of the better players in the league at running the floor and finishing. He was dominant in this area, where as Barnes is merely good. Marion, like Barnes, wasn't a shot creator by himself but he finished and was so athletic that he'd pile up points in a fast paced offense pretty easily.

He was a much more fluid athlete, especially in the open floor. Barnes is a pretty athletic player, but he's more of a "straight line" athlete, if you know what I mean. If he's got an opening and all it takes is one simple move to get to the basket, yeah he can finish well. Sometimes he'll even get you out of your seat and say "wow". But ask him to make multiple moves to make something happen and it gets a lot more sketchy.

The only thing Barnes clearly does better than prime Matrix is hit open shots/3's, even though he's often streaky. Marion in his prime was a 4x all-star and he'd likely be even better if you shifted his playing career over ten years later to the current era. I suppose you could compare a 33/34 year old Matrix to Barnes right now, but prime Matrix was 2-3 steps above current Harrison Barnes. It's not really a good comparison.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#257 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Johnstarks wrote:Nah, he can't run the pick and roll. The numbers dont lie hes flat out horrible. No ballhandling and he's awful going 1 on 1. He's only a spot up shooter that's why everyone warned against signing him to a max deal.

Yeah it's pretty much a forgone cinclusion that he's overpaid because he's a floor spacers but that skill is more important than you think

Am I wrong in assuming he has a decent post game -- Same turn around fadeaway, but seems to make it? I've really only watched a hand full of GSW games the last couple of years, where HB is barely used, but he seems to be comfortable getting to the middle of the paint, re: 12-feet way, and shooting that shot. Sometimes he would get there off an angle due to good ball movement and simply the GSW offense, but i thought he did that some-what solidly. Am I wrong?

He is only good at getting that shot off against smaller guards. When guarded by players closer to his size, that shot is usually rushed or is heavily contested while he is getting pushed off of his spot.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#258 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:06 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Johnstarks wrote:Nah, he can't run the pick and roll. The numbers dont lie hes flat out horrible. No ballhandling and he's awful going 1 on 1. He's only a spot up shooter that's why everyone warned against signing him to a max deal.

Yeah it's pretty much a forgone cinclusion that he's overpaid because he's a floor spacers but that skill is more important than you think

Am I wrong in assuming he has a decent post game -- Same turn around fadeaway, but seems to make it? I've really only watched a hand full of GSW games the last couple of years, where HB is barely used, but he seems to be comfortable getting to the middle of the paint, re: 12-feet way, and shooting that shot. Sometimes he would get there off an angle due to good ball movement and simply the GSW offense, but i thought he did that some-what solidly. Am I wrong?

He is only good at getting that shot off against smaller guards. When guarded by players closer to his size, that shot is usually rushed or is heavily contested while he is getting pushed off of his spot.

Dallas will only put him down there against smaller players off PnR opportunities, so that is fine. Otherwise, we'll run a free flowing offense. It's more about what he can do once he has the mismatch. We won't be throwing the ball to him in an iso against a Lebron, Durant, etc..
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#259 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:13 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

Dallas will only put him down there against smaller players off PnR opportunities, so that is fine. Otherwise, we'll run a free flowing offense. It's more about what he can do once he has the mismatch. We won't be throwing the ball to him in an iso against a Lebron, Durant, etc..

When a guard does switched onto him, that postup is pretty much automatic, kinda like livingston. He was taking it to kyrie every time in the finals with pretty good results.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#260 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Barnes, Wes and Anderson should be the wings we rely on the most so there is enough there to do some serious damage and defend as well as anyone else can.

PG is the real area were we need someone new to step up and I am hoping Curry can be a decent enough add to get in the rotation almost from day one.

Dirk needs some help backing him up but Powell and Acy may not be good enough and if that is the case expect to see Barnes at the 4 more than we would like to see. Dirk is tough though having not really missed a lot of games over the majority of his career so I worry less about him than Deron and Bogut.

I hope and pray we stay health this season so all 3 of our older vets can last throughout the playoffs. Mejri and Hammons need to step up in order to help out during the regular season so we can keep bogut healthy enough for the playoffs while Curry JJB and Harris need to rest Deron enough.

Return to Dallas Mavericks