ImageImageImage

Harrison Barnes

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#421 » by The Sparest » Thu Dec 1, 2016 12:44 pm

FNQ wrote:I should clarify I think he's both the #1 prospect and by far the best fit here. I think Dennis Smith would wind up as a fine consolation prize.. if I were drafting they'd go 1+2, with Josh Jackson being right there with Smith.

If we get the first pick Fultz is a no brainer. If we get the second pick....I'm not so sure. Smith is amazing in his own way, but the injury scares me. Ball is also impressive, but his shot scares me. Jackson would certainly deserve consideration, but where would he play with Barnes and Mathews here?

Hopefully, the lottery balls decide to pay us back for all of their 90's shenanigans.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#422 » by 2011Champs » Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:21 pm

The Sparest wrote:
FNQ wrote:I should clarify I think he's both the #1 prospect and by far the best fit here. I think Dennis Smith would wind up as a fine consolation prize.. if I were drafting they'd go 1+2, with Josh Jackson being right there with Smith.

Jackson would certainly deserve consideration, but where would he play with Barnes and Mathews here?
I would always take the best player available regardless to position and worry about rotation later. If Jackson is best available at the time I'm taking him.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#423 » by Suka Bongcic » Thu Dec 1, 2016 4:14 pm

FNQ wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:This team needs an impact PG that can create and defend. Markelle Fultz would be such an amazing addition to this squad. Just have to hope the lottery balls fall in our favor. We need it.

Dunno if you took this idea from me or if we're on the exact same page but so much yes. Fultz as a lead option with Dirk/Mathews/Barnes fighting over the #2 option on a game to game basis works on so many levels. It's easily the best fit looking at the top of draft boards now.

I'm a huge Cuban fan so I'm always rooting for the guy.. and Fultz just makes far too much sense

I'm a HS and college basketball junkie. I prefer them to the NBA. The more I watch him, I'd be ok with Lonzo Ball as well. The truest PG in the nation. Great height and is shooting the ball extremely well. Not the true scorer Fultz is, but will be a great 15 year pro IMO
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#424 » by FNQ » Thu Dec 1, 2016 5:41 pm

2011Champs wrote:
The Sparest wrote:

Jackson would certainly deserve consideration, but where would he play with Barnes and Mathews here?
I would always take the best player available regardless to position and worry about rotation later. If Jackson is best available at the time I'm taking him.

I agree. Plus I dont think Matthews should be looked at as a long-term option, and I think Barnes might be best suited to slide to the 4, long-term. It seemed like his efficiency was up when Dirk was out, mainly due to FTA because he can just scoot past 4s in the NBA with ease. And because he's a capable rebounder and defender at the 4, it might be best to see him as the heir apparent to Dirk at the 4, but not necessarily the heir apparent to Dirk as the face of the Mavs.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,671

Post#425 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:09 am

FNQ wrote:I agree. Plus I dont think Matthews should be looked at as a long-term option, and I think Barnes might be best suited to slide to the 4, long-term. It seemed like his efficiency was up when Dirk was out, mainly due to FTA because he can just scoot past 4s in the NBA with ease. And because he's a capable rebounder and defender at the 4, it might be best to see him as the heir apparent to Dirk at the 4, but not necessarily the heir apparent to Dirk as the face of the Mavs.

Bingo. I don't mind Barnes getting 12-15 mpg at SF if the roster dictates it like it does now with Dirk, but he's clearly better as a 4.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#426 » by Mr B » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:52 am

The Sparest wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Hopefully, the lottery balls decide to pay us back for all of their 90's shenanigans.

I wouldn't bet on it. Dallas likely ends up with the worst record in the NBA and with the 10th pick.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#427 » by The Sparest » Fri Dec 2, 2016 7:10 am

2011Champs wrote:
The Sparest wrote:

Whoever we draft needs to start playing and developing right away. I don't mind drafting Jackson at all, but if we do, then we need a plan to get him on the court as much as possible and ASAP. I don't have a clear cut favorite after Fultz, but Smith or Ball would be easier to find time for than Jackson IMO.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#428 » by 2011Champs » Fri Dec 2, 2016 1:52 pm

The Sparest wrote:
2011Champs wrote:
The Sparest wrote:Jackson would certainly deserve consideration, but where would he play with Barnes and Mathews here?

Whoever we draft needs to start playing and developing right away. I don't mind drafting Jackson at all, but if we do, then we need a plan to get him on the court as much as possible and ASAP. I don't have a clear cut favorite after Fultz, but Smith or Ball would be easier to find time for than Jackson IMO.
Good luck with that. It's a total crap shoot with Rick Carlisle and rookies. He will have one rookie that is his teacher's pet like Finney Smith and another one buried in the doghouse like AJ Hammons. I don't see any rhyme or reason behind it. So it's difficult to say if Carlisle will bother to quickly develop the rookie or not.

I think Carlisle misses the big picture sometimes with young players. Even if they aren't perfect, let them play and put up some stats to at least turn them into a tradeable asset.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,357

Post#429 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:25 pm

5th in PPP, and out of those 5, 2nd in FG%

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,895

Post#430 » by Dirk » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:5th in PPP, and out of those 5, 2nd in FG%

I am surprised with Harden's FG%. Digging more into the stats, Leonard is equally surprising 23.3 fg%.
60/21/10
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,357

Post#431 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:42 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

I am surprised with Harden's FG%. Digging more into the stats, Leonard is equally surprising 23.3 fg%.

I was just trying to figure out how that list was run as well, because I was pulling up Booker and Barnes overall fg%'s, and both were lower than they are in that list.

Also interesting is that Barnes has such a high fg% along with one of the highest volume of isolation play.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#432 » by turk3d » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

I was just trying to figure out how that list was run as well, because I was pulling up Booker and Barnes overall fg%'s, and both were lower than they are in that list.

Also interesting is that Barnes has such a high fg% along with one of the highest volume of isolation play.

Only measuring fg% in iso scoring, not overall fg% wwhich is lower.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Post#433 » by Baz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:10 am

I think Fultz and Barnes would complement each other nicely. Although right now we seem to be stringing a few wins together. I'm just going to take the end result of this season as it comes. I wanted a nice draft pick, but we'll see what happens.

That clutch shot from Barnes was so awesome to watch. This guy just continues to prove his doubters (which was me at one stage) wrong. I absolutely love the guy now.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#434 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
FNQ wrote:I agree. Plus I dont think Matthews should be looked at as a long-term option, and I think Barnes might be best suited to slide to the 4, long-term. It seemed like his efficiency was up when Dirk was out, mainly due to FTA because he can just scoot past 4s in the NBA with ease. And because he's a capable rebounder and defender at the 4, it might be best to see him as the heir apparent to Dirk at the 4, but not necessarily the heir apparent to Dirk as the face of the Mavs.

Bingo. I don't mind Barnes getting 12-15 mpg at SF if the roster dictates it like it does now with Dirk, but he's clearly better as a 4.

Can someone explain this? I see this comment quite a bit but I disagree. To me, he is clearly a SF that has the ability to play 1/3 of his minutes at PF. He would end up being one of the worse rebounding PFs if he played there full-time. The guy is a SF and is showing that more and more. He will only get better too over the next 2-3 years as he enters his prime (remember, he is only 24 years old rn).
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#435 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:03 am

Can someone explain this? I see this comment quite a bit but I disagree. To me, he is clearly a SF that has the ability to play 1/3 of his minutes at PF. He would end up being one of the worse rebounding PFs if he played there full-time. The guy is a SF and is showing that more and more. He will only get better too over the next 2-3 years as he enters his prime (remember, he is only 24 years old rn).

Basically, Barnes is a true SF, but if you play him at his natural position he has no value added to your roster. He's just another guy. Which would be one thing at $5-10m but it's an unmitigated disaster at ~$23m.

You unlock Barnes positive value as a basketball player by going "small" and playing him as PF. Barnes can hit wide open 3's (particularly from the short corners) at a pretty respectable clip. The hope is that he doesn't compromise your defense and rebounding so much that it offsets your increased offensive production.

His ability to shoot from the 4 opens up the floor so that other players (namely your lead guard) can operate more efficiently and your team has a puncher's chance on offense.

Right now, as currently constructed Dallas simply can't field a competitive offensive unit and they are forced to laboriously run the offense through Barnes which isn't going to work in the NBA.

A lot of these problems are due to Dallas not getting any dribble penetration from the deron/matthews pairing. Its no secret that they need a lead guard in the worst way. But much has to do with playing Barnes at his natural SF position which he's simply never thrived at. He's very similar to Marvin Williams in that he can be a nice complementary piece that helps other players thrive in their position but he's never going to produce big numbers for a decent team because he's not a go-to guy. Very, very few players are in the modern NBA where you really have to be extremely efficient to compete against the 3-point barrages.

Pointguard01 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#436 » by Dirk » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

"Some of the same stuff that we've run for me for years, we run for him now," Nowitzki said. "That high-post [isolation], he's mastered it. As a go-to guy, you got to have a great midrange game because you're not going to get an open 3 to win, and you're not going to get all the way to the basket to win. So you got to be able to create midrange stuff and he's a master at it."

Said Barnes: "He reminds me frequently that he wrote the playbook. He lets me know it."

As for the game-winner, he added: "We wanted to make sure we got the shot off with the shot-clock very low. We had that situation in Utah where we took a quick shot and they were able to [hit a game winner].

"It means a lot, the confidence from the coaches, the confidence from my teammates that they trust me to take that shot. I'm just going to work as hard as I can to continue to deliver."

"You get the ball in the hands of your best player and you give him the opportunity to win the game," coach Rick Carlisle said. "It's his first game-winning shot for us, and I'm predicting it's going to be one of many."

- dallasnews.com
60/21/10
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#437 » by Torgeir Bryn » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Playing him at the 4 gives him a speed advantage over most defenders, which makes it easier for him to attack them off the dribble or score in isolation. He's also a better shooter for his position at the 4 vs the 3, as GlenRiceARoni said. With todays NBA leaning towards pace and space, if a player can legitimately guard two positions like 3 and 4, he will be more valueable at the 4.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Re: RE: Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#438 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:04 pm

GlenRiceARoni wrote:

Basically, Barnes is a true SF, but if you play him at his natural position he has no value added to your roster. He's just another guy. Which would be one thing at $5-10m but it's an unmitigated disaster at ~$23m.

You unlock Barnes positive value as a basketball player by going "small" and playing him as PF. Barnes can hit wide open 3's (particularly from the short corners) at a pretty respectable clip. The hope is that he doesn't compromise your defense and rebounding so much that it offsets your increased offensive production.

His ability to shoot from the 4 opens up the floor so that other players (namely your lead guard) can operate more efficiently and your team has a puncher's chance on offense.

Right now, as currently constructed Dallas simply can't field a competitive offensive unit and they are forced to laboriously run the offense through Barnes which isn't going to work in the NBA.

A lot of these problems are due to Dallas not getting any dribble penetration from the deron/matthews pairing. Its no secret that they need a lead guard in the worst way. But much has to do with playing Barnes at his natural SF position which he's simply never thrived at. He's very similar to Marvin Williams in that he can be a nice complementary piece that helps other players thrive in their position but he's never going to produce big numbers for a decent team because he's not a go-to guy. Very, very few players are in the modern NBA where you really have to be extremely efficient to compete against the 3-point barrages.

Isn't this the Nellie school of thinking? Let's create a mismatch on offense but sacrificing other aspects, winning aspects at that (defense, rebounding, interior play), to have that offensive mismatch?

I ask the question almost rhetorical because I knew the answer people would say. I see the point on offense, but to your statement of...."The hope is that he doesn't compromise your defense and rebounding so much that it offsets your increased offensive production"....that is primarily why I don't like Barnes at PF. I think it does. His rebounding is very average for a PF. Besides Golden State, we would get killed on the boards with any good team (Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin). Basically, the top teams have someone that would destroy Barnes at PF. Ultimately, Dallas is going to succeed with Barnes at SF and having a true stretch PF, like most other teams have.

And maybe my main point of keeping Barnes at SF is that he actually does well at this position. We get an easy switch almost every time down with a SF/PG pick n roll, because most SF can handle a PG (better than a PF), so teams are willing to switch. It then gives Barnes the ability to rise up against smaller players or back them down. He also has proven he is a capable ball handler against equally as quick players to attack the basket.

There are 11 SFs that average more than 17-PPG, with Barnes at #9, so to say that he is a "Marvin William" esque player or "just another player [if played at SF]" is such a hyperbole to what Barnes is doing as a first year go-to player.

Right now, Dallas has no dribble penetration and little post offense, so I understand the need to want to maximize what Barnes can add to the team, but as you add talent, we won't need to create those mismatches as much. Sure, Barnes should get 1/3 of his minutes at PF and be the primary back PF, but I don't see him being the starting PF if we are going to win a championship.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#439 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm

The man keeps impressing.
60/21/10
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#440 » by likashing » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm

kaiballz wrote:

This is a great analysis. His stagnancy (holding on to the ball and jab step) has been a staple since Mark Jackson put him in iso back in the days. Albeit Mark Jackson had him at more awkward spots on the floor e.g. the side and corner, instead of top of the key/elbow like Carlisle's offense.

HB is much better when he is decisive and don't jab step until the defense is set. The stagnancy is a long time bad habit which I am not sure whether he can break completely, but he can certainly make it less of a problem. Some people say his game is "mechanical" which I think is true. His mental speed of the game may not be as fast than other top 1-2 players on their respective teams.

Overall I am glad he is playing well as a #1 option. Below's stats show he is doing great as the lead man on a team without too many options - 74% possible minutes played... +6.1 PER against his matchup... despite -1.6 on-court, he is +3.6 on-off-court. It shows he is outplaying his matchup, and his team performs better when he is on the court, but his team is not well equipped to win.

http://www.82games.com/1617/1617DAL.HTM

Considering the Mavs are ahead of the Pelicans (Anthony Davis), the T-Wolves (KAT), and has the same record as the Kings (Cousins), he hasn't done too shabby of the job compared to what those other "Superstars on a bad team" are doing.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.

Return to Dallas Mavericks