ImageImageImage

Deron Williams

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Deron Williams 

Post#1 » by aussiewill » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:31 am

1 year 10M, not bad deal, not a good deal, provided he can stay on the court he should be serviceable.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242651/Deron-Williams-Agrees-To-One-Year-$10M-Deal-With-Mavs
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Deron Re-Signs 

Post#2 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:33 am

Good deal for a good starting point guard in this market. Much better value than Conley.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#3 » by Darren » Mon Jul 4, 2016 4:05 am

Welcome back, D-Will. I hope he can stay healthy and regain some explosiveness. We need a penetrating distributor rather badly. I hope we actually find a speedy PG soon. Who's next? Tyson Chandler? Zaza Pachulia? I hope we get an upgrade over Felton. Sloan is the one coming to my mind.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#4 » by bran muffin » Mon Jul 4, 2016 4:34 am

I like this deal for the Mavs. A 1-year contract will keep Deron motivated. It also keeps Deron in Dallas for a 2nd straight year, which will earn him Early Bird's Rights privileges with the Mavs next summer.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#5 » by The Sparest » Mon Jul 4, 2016 5:15 am

I figured this would be about what he signed for before all the crazy money started flying around. Compared to some of the rest, this looks pretty good.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Post#6 » by Baz » Mon Jul 4, 2016 6:15 am

Now please go get Tyson. We know what he can produce for us, he can get straight back to work.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 921

Post#7 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Jul 4, 2016 7:31 am

So, no tank this season? :(

I hate those 1 year contracts. But it is very cheap considering.

Yay, more money for...eh
Darren
RealGM

Post#8 » by Darren » Mon Jul 4, 2016 8:56 am

Baz wrote:Now please go get Tyson. We know what he can produce for us, he can get straight back to work.

Yes, I miss him in Mavs uniform, too. He's easily the best center we'd in the past decade. If we have to part with a 2nd pick, then I hessitate. But I am sure Pheonix want out of his contract and free playing time for their young guys.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Post#9 » by Dirk » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:50 am

This is a great deal. I would have even paid him more this year to include a team option for next year.

A few months back, I posted on the other thread about how much Williams needed to make to get the money he left on the table with Brooklyn, it was $10.5 million. Now he signs for $10 million, so this is actually a rare occasion where the Mavs sign a good deal.

Captain_Obvious wrote:So, no tank this season? :(

Yay, more money for...eh

Yeah... probably Pachulia is coming back soon. I would have preferred to have the most ping pong balls possible...
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM

Post#10 » by Darren » Mon Jul 4, 2016 12:17 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:This is a great deal. I would have even paid him more this year to include a team option for next year.

A few months back, I posted on the other thread about how much Williams needed to make to get the money he left on the table with Brooklyn, it was $10.5 million. Now he signs for $10 million, so this is actually a rare occasion where the Mavs sign a good deal.

Captain_Obvious wrote:So, no tank this season? :(

Yay, more money for...eh

Yeah... probably Pachulia is coming back soon. I would have preferred to have the most ping pong balls possible...

I wonder what have happened to Zaza as well. It seems to me that no team talks to him yet despite a strong season. Maybe his asking price is a little too high, I guess. But I do hope we put Felton's replacement into top priority now.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,981

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 4, 2016 12:45 pm

Great 10 million for 52 games, maybe 36 if you count games he actually plays well. Cuban, your plan is working to perfection.

Sent from my LGLS751 using RealGM mobile app
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#12 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jul 4, 2016 1:38 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Great 10 million for 52 games, maybe 36 if you count games he actually plays well. Cuban, your plan is working to perfection.

This is a fair point, but at the end of the day, it looks like we are trying for a 7th seed this year. If we are lucky, we miss the playoffs and have a lottery pick, albeit in the teens.

I agree. Sadly, there were NO better options at PG on the market. Brandon Jennings and Ty Lawson were about it and neither are upgrades. This is a good move for both parties at this point.

I'm never going to be a Deron Williams fan but not sure what else you do here.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#13 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jul 4, 2016 2:13 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Great 10 million for 52 games, maybe 36 if you count games he actually plays well. Cuban, your plan is working to perfection.

Barea can earn his salary when/if Deron goes down. Barea is pretty good as a temporary starter. Also have Devin and possibly Felton also.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#14 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

D-Will wanted a longer deal 

Post#15 » by Nowitness » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 am

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/26/deron-williams-says-again-he-wanted-more-than-one-year-deal-to-return-to-dallas/

“I’d have liked to be here for a little longer,” Williams said of the one-year deal. “We’ll see how it goes. It is what it is. For sure, I wanted to be back. I felt like I had some unfinished business at the end of last year the way things ended and I wasn’t able to be on the court. Hopefully I’ll stay healthy because I’m excited about this team.”

Goes on to say he's very excited to play with Bogut and sees Harrison stepping into his new role etc.

I actually was very happy with his contributions last year and I don't think any type of super long-term deal made sense, but I would've been fine with a two year deal or whatever would match Dirk's contract length. We're not rebuilding until after that, and he was a quality starter from my POV, if he wants to be here until then, he should be IMO.
Nowitnessing a legend
Darren
RealGM

Re: D-Will wanted a longer deal 

Post#16 » by Darren » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 am

I think we'll be back next season on Devin Harris's contract. I don't mind paying him 4M per in a 3 year deal (with team option at the final season with partially guaranteed money). I think he understands that the Mavs need to find a young PG in the process. If he is okay with that we can retain him with the BAE/part of MLE next offseason.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Re: D-Will wanted a longer deal 

Post#17 » by Dirk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:15 am

I remember doing some basic math to figure out what would be the best contract so that Williams made back the money he gave up in the Nets buyout and then made some with the Mavs. I came up with a three year deal, 9.6 + 10.1 + 10.5. I would have given him that this summer with the 3rd year a team option.

This 1 year contract is more of a reflection of Williams no longer having suitors. The Mavs were able to wait and give him the right number. I still would take him over a few starters in the league, but he obviously is seen more as a backup nowadays. Besides the injury issues, it's just infuriating that mentally he isn't always as engaged as he should... he has everything to last in this league like Jason Kidd did - if he wanted to, but he doesn't have that fire.
60/21/10
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Dwill sucks as a PG 

Post#18 » by Suka Bongcic » Sun Jan 8, 2017 4:57 am

He's fine with the midrange game. He's actually
Great with the midrange game. But as a PG, he's awful. Sure he gets assists, anyone that runs the offense as much as he does will get assists. It's bound to happen. Saying he's a good a good PG is like saying Wesley Matthews is a top 10 3 point shooter in the league. Matthews' number suggest he's a top 10 3 pt shooter. When you watch the mavs play, you realize he's a volume shooter that has good 3pt numbers because he launches 3pt shots as if he's Steph curry, which he is not (even close).

Back to to the subject. Dwill distributes poorly and defends poorly. As the pg of a bottom 5 team, he does what's asked of him. For this team to become a real team, Dwill needs to go and we need a real
Pg that can distribute and defend. 2 things he cannot do efficiently. He can't defend anyone and he only gets assists when the defense plays his shot and he has no other choice but to pass. He's great vs the double team (because he can pass) ...but horrendous vs straight man because he can't figure out when to pass and shoot (and doesn't have the quicks to pass and dish).
Darren
RealGM

Re: Dwill sucks as a PG 

Post#19 » by Darren » Sun Jan 8, 2017 4:58 am

What are you saying? Curry sucks even more.
2011Champs
General Manager

Re: Dwill sucks as a PG 

Post#20 » by 2011Champs » Sun Jan 8, 2017 12:17 pm

I can't complain about Deron other than health. He is much better than some of the PG that have rolled through here such as Mike James, Derek Fisher, Rajon Rondo.

Return to Dallas Mavericks