Mavericks 2017 Draft #9

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Mavericks 2017 Draft #9 

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:58 am

Dallas Mavericks 2017 Draft

It's too early but I think it's a good idea to create a thread about the 2017 draft Because as we can see, this team will not go to the playoffs. Like Tim MacMahon said the Best-case scenario for Mavs might be Harrison Barnes as a bright spot in a bad season that leads to a high lotto pick. I don't really watch the NCCA (only highlights and Draftexpress videos since the Wiggins/Embiid days) but this year i think that can change a bit Because the Mavs will not go anywhere....

Draft Picks:
Dallas Mavericks 1st round pick (protected for selections 1-18; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Dallas will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick and 2020 2nd round pick to Philadelphia)
Dallas Mavericks 2nd round pick

Decision-maker:
Team President Donnie Nelson is well-entrenched and one of the most respected executives in the NBA. He works closely with veteran coach Rick Carlisle and owner Mark Cuban.

Draft priorities:

1. Potential Starting PG: It is already clear to us that the Mavs big need is to draft a PG with a good upside. The Mavericks have been forced to give way too many minutes to the likes of J.J. Barea, Yogi Ferrell and Seth Curry, who at this point in their career are not starter calibre players. To our luck this is the draft that many say is stacked with high quality point guards and that could lead Dallas to give a long look to the point guard spot.

Potential targets: Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Dennis Smith , Frank Ntilikina & De'Aaron Fox.

2. Dirk Replacement/SF: I think Dirk will hardly return for the 2017-18 season and unless Dwight Powell begin to produce like legitimate starter i think that we will need someone to occupy the vacant space that will be left by Dirk (or Barnes if he Become a full-time PF).

Potential targets: Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum, Jonathan Isaac, Lauri Markkanen, Miles Bridges, Robert Williams & Justin Patton.

3. Potential Steals: There has been a lot of talk about the prospective 2017 NBA Draft class, which is shaping up to be one with great depth at the top. But in every draft have those guys who just fall and Donnie Nelson Showed the ability to find raw diamonds from anywhere.

Potential targets: Caleb Swanigan, Luke Kennard, Justin Jackson, Grayson Allen, Thomas Bryant, Dillon Brooks & Donovan Mitchell

Cuban better not be involved in the draft this time.... just let Donnie Nelson do his job
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#2 » by 2011Champs » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 am

I could see Cuban trading away our pick for some over the hill big name player. I'm not getting my hopes up about draft picks until after the trade deadline. Dopey Mark Cuban just seems to be a little out of touch especially when he forced Donnie to pass on Giannis to save like $1.99 of cap space.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#3 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:27 pm

2011Champs wrote:I could see Cuban trading away our pick for some over the hill big name player. I'm not getting my hopes up about draft picks until after the trade deadline. Dopey Mark Cuban just seems to be a little out of touch especially when he forced Donnie to pass on Giannis to save like $1.99 of cap space.

He will not trade...this pick... if he do that I will support the guys that say he should sell the team...
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#4 » by Devassa » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Trade it for Boogie otherwise draft Jackson or Tatum
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:18 pm

We need to get a point guard if there is a future elite point guard available. That is the team's biggest hole. After that it depends on where you see Barnes. He is small forward size but has had some of his better games at the power forward position this year. Long term though I see him more of a small forward because we need someone at the power forward who can get more boards. My second choice would be to get a power forward since traditional centers have limited value in today's market.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#6 » by Darren » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:26 am

I should say we should draft a PG or trade the draft right for Noel.
Darren
RealGM

Post#7 » by Darren » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:29 am

Those PG prospect are flawed in a thing or 2. I don't consider any of them of CP3's caliber. We may find some Wall/Rondo/Rubio/Harris-like speedy guard who can't shoot well from long range. We can't really find one who can score efficient from both inside and outside, defend effectively and lead the team. Fox somewhat interests me but still I want Noel over him.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#8 » by Lord Cuban » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:40 am

Darren wrote:Those PG prospect are flawed in a thing or 2. I don't consider any of them of CP3's caliber. We may find some Wall/Rondo/Rubio/Harris-like speedy guard who can't shoot well from long range. We can't really find one who can score efficient from both inside and outside, defend effectively and lead the team. Fox somewhat interests me but still I want Noel over him.

Noel can't score, will be a free agent next season and will want a max deal... you want to make us become the OKC without Westbrook... and we have some pretty bad contracts here...
Darren
RealGM

Post#9 » by Darren » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:07 am

Injury aside, Noel is still by far better than Rubio. I can see your concern with big contract, though. But are those PG prospect legitimate building block at all? What have Ricky Rubio / Rajon Rondo / John Wall done in this league so far? Can we afford draft PG that can't shoot / defend / lead the team? I'd rather take my chance on combo guard like Fox who's very much like Monta Ellis / Allen Iverson. And find a true PG elsewhere. I am not a fan of 2017 draft class.

I think Noel sign-and-trade for Matthews along with our draft choice makes sense for both team. Philly wants to fix their backcourts and we want to find a building block upfront. In my opinion, we suck so far because Powell, Acy and so on had failed to do what they're expected to do. And of course, Matthews struggle badly from long range while Curry and Barea failed to defend a nut is also a problem. Therefore, we can't really defend or score effectively with a flawed lineup. :banghead:

WCS for Matthews and an early second also makes sense if the Kings want to keep Cousins. We can use a young athletic center. I have serious doubt on his rebuilding, though. I'd prefer Noel because of that. WCS sounds like a backup to me.

If we really want an offensive center, we'd much better off develop AJ Hammons.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#10 » by Suka Bongcic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:23 am

Darren wrote:Injury aside, Noel is still by far better than Rubio. I can see your concern with big contract, though. But are those PG prospect legitimate building block at all? What have Ricky Rubio / Rajon Rondo / John Wall done in this league so far? Can we afford draft PG that can't shoot / defend / lead the team? I'd rather take my chance on combo guard like Fox who's very much like Monta Ellis / Allen Iverson. And find a true PG elsewhere. I am not a fan of 2017 draft class.

I think Noel sign-and-trade for Matthews along with our draft choice makes sense for both team. Philly wants to fix their backcourts and we want to find a building block upfront. In my opinion, we suck so far because Powell, Acy and so on had failed to do what they're expected to do. And of course, Matthews struggle badly from long range while Curry and Barea failed to defend a nut is also a problem. Therefore, we can't really defend or score effectively with a flawed lineup. :banghead:

WCS for Matthews and an early second also makes sense if the Kings want to keep Cousins. We can use a young athletic center. I have serious doubt on his rebuilding, though. I'd prefer Noel because of that. WCS sounds like a backup to me.

If we really want an offensive center, we'd much better off develop AJ Hammons.

You'd rather have a hospital patient than a young guard that you've probably never seen play more than 1 time? Trade our 1st rd pick (which gets paid nothing) for a free agent injury prone PF that can't score? This is lunacy. Why not just wait and sign Noel to a max deal if we want him that bad? i wouldn't mind trading a player and a 2nd for WCS as he's healthy, has true size and has a couple years left on his contract that pays little to nothing.

How many times have you watched Fultz or Dennis Smith play? You say they aren't as good as Chris Paul......and that why you don't want them?? Seriously? You wouldn't want a guard as good as john wall? Lunacy #2. Is john wall supposed to win a title by himself? How many playoff series has Chris Paul won in 11 years? How many games has Noel played in? But you don't want a PG that you know little about? They've played 2 college games.....let's see what they have before you start saying they aren't worth drafting because Ricky Rubio and john wall havn't done anything. I'm sure you said the same thing about Kemba Walker after he played 2 games his freshman year. But you probably wouldn't want him either
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#11 » by Hadley » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Don't get your hopes up too high. I would not be surprised if Cuban or Donnie **** it up again.
Since Cuban is here our best Draftpick was probably Josh Howard. I still remember a few Years ago when we traded down to save a few Dollars in Capspace and picked Larkin instead of Antetokounmpo or Schröder...

Best thing we could do would be to trade away Deron Williams and maybe Matthews to get even worse, keep our Pick and don't let Cuban decide who we Draft!
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#12 » by Teffer10 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:06 pm

I'll have to wait to see how well they do this year but right now Dennis Smith or Josh Jackson would be my favorites.
Jackson has TMac and Wiggins potential and Smith has Rose, CP3 and Lillard potential.
If it comes down to between the two I'd want Smith because he should be a legit impact player from the beginning.

A sleeper pick if we're in the mid to late lottery would be OG Anunoby. That dude is loaded with talent and potential and would love to see him playing with HB if the others are gone.
Watch out for that name this season in college basketball.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#13 » by Suka Bongcic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:15 am

Teffer10 wrote:I'll have to wait to see how well they do this year but right now Dennis Smith or Josh Jackson would be my favorites.
Jackson has TMac and Wiggins potential and Smith has Rose, CP3 and Lillard potential.
If it comes down to between the two I'd want Smith because he should be a legit impact player from the beginning.

A sleeper pick if we're in the mid to late lottery would be OG Anunoby. That dude is loaded with talent and potential and would love to see him playing with HB if the others are gone.
Watch out for that name this season in college basketball.

I'd say dennis smith is a smaller version of Westbrook. His athleticism is off the charts. A little out of control at times and needs to develop a better 3. He's not as cerebral as CP3 and doesn't shoot nearly as well as Lilliard. Anunoby is loaded with potential for sure. Great defensive potential and really raw offensively. A Pg is needed though. Deron is still an ok player but this should be his last year starting for the Mavs. Bares is a liability on D. Can't have that at the PG position in today's league.its draft (if every declares) that's loaded with potential. This years freshman class is one of the best. Really like Miles Bridges game too. I see a mix between Paul Pierce and Bonzi Wells (the good Bonzi). Would be nice if the lottery balls fall in our favor if we don't make the playoffs, which I think is likely
ModIn
Junior
And1: 88

Post#14 » by ModIn » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:04 am

The Mavs are not in a position to draft for need. We are not a contending team and won't be anytime soon.

Barnes looks solid right now. But everything else does not matter really and should be gone rather sooner than later (besides a few of the young guys if they can surpass expectations).

BPA all the way.

I also would not pick a PG unless you believe he is the next Westbrook or Curry.

I really dislike starting your rebuild off with a PG.

Fultz can play PG but also SG and he looks like a bonafide star , Bolden, Jackson, Isaac would be the main names I would be interested in.

But I also have not seen much from any of them so who knows.

I just hope Cuban for once does not do something stupid like trading the pick for Cousins. That would be terrible.

We need that young star to pair with Barnes.
Tank for another year and hope to get lucky and we might actually have a future for once.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#15 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:15 am

I'd love them to ride the tank but it's not gonna happen, Dirk will come back eventually we will catch a break and they will end up getting around 35W and a late lotto pick sadly.
Still in that range there are guys I like, Ball and Frank Jackson mainly for us.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#16 » by Lord Cuban » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Fischella wrote:I'd love them to ride the tank but it's not gonna happen, Dirk will come back eventually we will catch a break and they will end up getting around 35W and a late lotto pick sadly.
Still in that range there are guys I like, Ball and Frank Jackson mainly for us.

I highly doubt that we will win more than 30 games... and to be fair next week we will have a 2-14/15 record and we will tank for sure... if Cuban and his dudes don't mess up we can end with the 3rd pick at lowest... I think we will not get the 1st or 2nd pick because the league wants to improve the pelicans and 76ers....
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,565

Post#17 » by jpengland » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Good stock of PGs but we are likely drafting 10ish. A starting PG will be a great pick and I don't trust us to make that decision.

But yeah, I draft a PG and then I'm trying to use Bogut for a late first rounder atbthe deadline and going for a big
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#18 » by Devassa » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:45 pm

I would love for us to get Jackson and have Barnes be our PF.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#19 » by Jinra » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:38 pm

I think the Mavericks will keep these picks unless an unbelievable opportunity comes knocking.

If Barnes excels at the 4, then draft Point Guard and Center. 2, 3 & 4 are still a dime a dozen right now. Solidify the 1 & 5.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
peppersquared
Starter
And1: 4

Post#20 » by peppersquared » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:06 am

Been coming to this board for 15 years and it's the first year we know we're going to have a high pick.

I suspect that dirk, Carlisle, Barnes, will keep us from having a top 5. I bet it's around 7-9. Maybe Wes will make it around 5 or so.

I'm excited. Feel bad for dirk. Don't want him to go out like KG. Irrelevant

Return to Dallas Mavericks