ImageImageImage

local lottery level talent Isaiah Austin cleared to get back in basketball

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

local lottery level talent Isaiah Austin cleared to get back in basketball 

Post#1 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Dec 1, 2016 4:11 am

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/isaiah-austin-baylor-cleared-return-basketball-marfan-syndrome-113016

This guy is a free agent now right? Could we get him here and develop him this year?
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: local lottery level talent Isaiah Austin cleared to get back in basketball 

Post#2 » by JamesConway » Thu Dec 1, 2016 4:32 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/isaiah-austin-baylor-cleared-return-basketball-marfan-syndrome-113016

This guy is a free agent now right? Could we get him here and develop him this year?

Cuban apparently commented on that. I posted the tweet in the trade-thread.

I don't know Austin, but the stuff I've read on draftexpress does sound rather intrigueing. He's also still 'only' 23, which is about the age many college-seniors come into the league. I guess it's worth a shot, especially if/when Bogut is moved and we need to fill out our frontcourt. But he's been out of the game for a long time & never played in an NBA game even before that. He'd be a long-term project, but I guess if there's one team in the NBA that could take a chance on him it's the Mavericks. And it would be a heck of a story. I don't think we have a lot to lose here so why not.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#3 » by The Sparest » Thu Dec 1, 2016 12:34 pm

I could see him playing with the Legends maybe. He has been away from the game for a while and needs to get minutes in to get the feel back, which he would not get on an NBA roster.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#4 » by Suka Bongcic » Thu Dec 1, 2016 6:26 pm

We should definitely go all in to try and sign him. Would be a great addition if his health holds up and he can play regularly. Can't teach that kind of length. Has a nice soft touch too. Always played soft around the rim, but that's probably because of his lack of muscle. Get him into the gym and put on some man weight and I love his potential
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:37 pm

Worth a look in the D League if we can get him.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Dec 2, 2016 4:42 am

I would cut Gibson for this guy after JJB is healthy and back. He looks more like a PF type than a center and his shot needs a lot of work. Probably not a great PF like we are used to but might become a nice asset and or allow us to trade Powell.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#7 » by Jinra » Fri Dec 2, 2016 9:50 pm

Why cut Gibson? Cut AJ Hammonds. The guards ain't gonna stay healthy no way.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#8 » by Darren » Sat Dec 3, 2016 4:57 pm

Jinra wrote:Why cut Gibson? Cut AJ Hammonds. The guards ain't gonna stay healthy no way.

I'd cut Powell before Hammonds.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Sat Dec 3, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't cut Hammons. Carlisle just needs to get over whatever put Hammons in the doghouse and play him. I don't give af whether Carlisle likes him or not, I want him out there putting up some stats. If he isn't part of the future plans at least we could trade him for another 2nd round pick if he is able to show a little something.

I wouldn't worry about who to cut if Austin is signed as I believe he should be signed to the DLeague anyway. He probably isn't ready for NBA just yet.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:56 pm

Tony Wroten 6'5" PG just signed with the Legends so is he another guy we could try at PG. Also was I imagining things the other day but was Harris in the game? Actually I like Gibson off the bench he has good numbers. I just do not want to ditch DFS at SF to try Isaiah. I would rather trade a 2 for 1 to create some room but the 2 I want to see gone probably are not something anybody else will want.

Return to Dallas Mavericks