ImageImageImage

Pierre Jackson Signs Two-Year Deal With Mavericks

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Pierre Jackson Signs Two-Year Deal With Mavericks 

Post#1 » by Darren » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:10 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244392/Pierre-Jackson-Signs-Two-Year-Deal-With-Mavericks

The Dallas Mavericks are signing Pierre Jackson to a partially guaranteed two-year deal.

Jackson had been averaging 29.1 points, 4.5 rebounds and 6.0 assists in 35.7 minutes per game this season for the Texas Legends of the D-League.

Jackson was an early second round pick in 2013 out of Baylor by the Philadelphia 76ers with his draft rights going to the New Orleans Pelicans in the Jrue Holiday trade.
Darren
RealGM

Re: Pierre Jackson Signs Two-Year Deal With Mavericks 

Post#2 » by Darren » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Sounds like another JJB or Damon Stoudemire to me. His playing style is pretty closed to both of them. I am not surprised that the Mavs had traded a veteran PG for pick.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#3 » by Devassa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Obviously not happening, but I wish this meant a D Will trade on the horizon
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#4 » by Dirk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:40 pm

He immediately reminds you of Isaiah Thomas.

Younger than Gibson and looks like someone who can actually run an offense. Carlisle can have a true midget lineup with Barea and Jackson.

I don't think this means anything as far as Deron Williams though. They are just shuffling the bottom of the roster and going with someone with a little more upside.
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:34 am

Worth a try.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#6 » by JamesConway » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm just glad we moved on from Gibson. I'll never understand what they saw in him given how old he already is. Jackson may not be much more than a fringe prospect himself, but at least he's a few years younger. Sucks that he had that brutal injury which cost him so much time, but I think it's worth a shot. He's been absolutely dominating on the D-League level which is never a terrible sign and if there's one team in the league that's in dire need of some young, athletic guard-play it's certainly us.

I don't have crazy high expectations, but I guess I like it. Maybe he can stick around for a while. I thought he played solid against the Rockets in the ten minutes of action he got on the court. Not a terrible start for an NBA rook.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by Dirk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm

JamesConway wrote:I'm just glad we moved on from Gibson. I'll never understand what they saw in him given how old he already is. Jackson may not be much more than a fringe prospect himself, but at least he's a few years younger. Sucks that he had that brutal injury which cost him so much time, but I think it's worth a shot. He's been absolutely dominating on the D-League level which is never a terrible sign and if there's one team in the league that's in dire need of some young, athletic guard-play it's certainly us.

I don't have crazy high expectations, but I guess I like it. Maybe he can stick around for a while. I thought he played solid against the Rockets in the ten minutes of action he got on the court. Not a terrible start for an NBA rook.

Carlisle said that yesterday was the first time he saw him play live. I was a bit surprised with that. It's always shocking when someone who has just about the average height looks like such a midget out there. He seems like he isn't just a scorer and tries to feed the ball to others. Gibson was very one dimensional and older. I guess they were impressed with his numbers in summer league he was a quick fix to score some points when the Mavs were at their worst this season.

When are the Mavs making some trades? :lol:
60/21/10
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#8 » by The Sparest » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 am

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

Not soon enough for my tastes. Is there anyone we could send Brooklyn to help them give Bos a worse pick?
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#9 » by Suka Bongcic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:34 am

Love the signing. Loved him at Baylor. Exciting pg play is severely lacking on this team. Penetration is almost non existent. Considering that we have almost no post game other than Barnes and dirk, we need dribble penetration. Gibson wasnt worthy. I feel Jackson brings more to the table than curry, the human troll doll
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by Dirk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:09 pm

The Sparest wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

Not soon enough for my tastes. Is there anyone we could send Brooklyn to help them give Bos a worse pick?

The Nets are very much a rebuilding team. So even if they had some 'assets', they wouldn't be trading him away for pieces that helped them now. The Nets have no reason to tank (dont own their pick this year and next year), but they have no reason to run their guys to the ground either and last year they shutdown Lopez early. This year they have played with a lot of energy with a new coach and all, but have been hurt by Lin being out for most of the year.

It's really hard to see a way where the Mavs finish below the Sixers and Nets. Remember that Philly/Dallas thread --- Sixers fans are so ingrained with tanking that they view re-signing a malcontent as a 'dream scenario'. This is another bad part of your team being 'bad'. The Mavs have to be really awful to be able to out-tank some of these teams.

But yeah, it'd be nice to actually see moves being made that gives us a clear path and just allows us to watch the Finney Smiths, Andersons and hopefully Dirk moving up the all time scoring list and then a top 4 pick at the end of it all. If we don't end up with a top prospect... it will be a total embarrassment. Just madness to sabotage your own future and delay the inevitable.
60/21/10
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#11 » by Jinra » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 pm

I am not impressed with this signing. This is no different than turning over the bottom of your fantasy team to get +0.5 extra points and +0.2 extra assist. Maybe hope to see a few flashes, and then trade fodder. I doubt he makes it off the bench, especially with Deron averaging around 30 mpg and JJB coming back; plus Devin Harris and the "fake" Curry.

We desperately need to stay in the top 5 picks of the 1st round. Lock Barnes in to =30 min per game. Keep Dirk at 20 min per game. Sit Wes and Bogut the entire 2nd quarter and discretely tank.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Darren
RealGM

Post#12 » by Darren » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
The Sparest wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

The Nets are very much a rebuilding team. So even if they had some 'assets', they wouldn't be trading him away for pieces that helped them now. The Nets have no reason to tank (dont own their pick this year and next year), but they have no reason to run their guys to the ground either and last year they shutdown Lopez early. This year they have played with a lot of energy with a new coach and all, but have been hurt by Lin being out for most of the year.

It's really hard to see a way where the Mavs finish below the Sixers and Nets. Remember that Philly/Dallas thread --- Sixers fans are so ingrained with tanking that they view re-signing a malcontent as a 'dream scenario'. This is another bad part of your team being 'bad'. The Mavs have to be really awful to be able to out-tank some of these teams.

But yeah, it'd be nice to actually see moves being made that gives us a clear path and just allows us to watch the Finney Smiths, Andersons and hopefully Dirk moving up the all time scoring list and then a top 4 pick at the end of it all. If we don't end up with a top prospect... it will be a total embarrassment. Just madness to sabotage your own future and delay the inevitable.

Brooklyn rumored to have offered more for Dwight Powell. But not a chance they do it with a pick. I am opened to trade for a TE for more cap space to operate next summer.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by fuller4379 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 am

My problem with him is 5'11".
Caboclo
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,460

Post#14 » by Caboclo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:04 am

fuller4379 wrote:My problem with him is 5'11".

On Draftexpress, he's 5'9.5 without shoes but my bigger concern is with his 5'10 wingspan and his 7'6 reach, which is the shortest reach of any player in Draftexpress's database to reach the NBA

:noway: :noway:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 1, 2017 4:59 am

I look forward to see how productive he can be within our system.
Darren
RealGM

Post#16 » by Darren » Sun Jan 1, 2017 5:24 am

Caboclo wrote:

On Draftexpress, he's 5'9.5 without shoes but my bigger concern is with his 5'10 wingspan and his 7'6 reach, which is the shortest reach of any player in Draftexpress's database to reach the NBA

He was drafted by 76ers with 12th pick. He does dominate in NBDL. Let see what he's. What bother me is the fact that he's already 25 years' old. But still, the next best two prospects from D-league are Manny Harris and Vander Blue. They are not even closed to Pierre Jackson's accomplishment. Hopefully, he hits the rotation if we were to trade veterans for picks.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by fuller4379 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 6:19 am

Darren wrote:
Caboclo wrote:

He was drafted by 76ers with 12th pick. He does dominate in NBDL. Let see what he's. What bother me is the fact that he's already 25 years' old. But still, the next best two prospects from D-league are Manny Harris and Vander Blue. They are not even closed to Pierre Jackson's accomplishment. Hopefully, he hits the rotation if we were to trade veterans for picks.

12th pick of 2nd round.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#18 » by JamesConway » Fri Jan 6, 2017 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Edit: More from Sefko
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#19 » by Devassa » Fri Jan 6, 2017 10:31 pm

HMFFL wrote:I look forward to see how productive he can be within our system.

The answer being: Not very.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#20 » by Jinra » Fri Jan 6, 2017 10:34 pm

Looks like Pierre Jackson just got waved!!! Is this the first of a series of moves?
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks