Nerlens Noel

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Re: Nerlens Noel traded to the Mavs 

Post#261 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

“I definitely feel like I’m in a position to be a long-term situation here,” said Noel, who admits he was frustrated as part of The Process-created center logjam with the 76ers. “There are a lot of things that come into it, but I’m definitely comfortable in the system. I’m going to continue to grow as this season ends and continue to capitalize on my opportunities and maybe even get more opportunities.” The Mavs see shades of Chandler in Noel: the length, the lean frame, the lift, the finishes on lobs and the knack for doing the little things on defense.

But the Mavs are more than willing to pay the going price for a big man who fits well, can protect the rim, provide the vertical element necessary for Carlisle’s pick-and-roll-heavy offense to hum and has plenty of room to grow. “I definitely feel like I’m in a better position here,” Noel said. “I’m trying to maximize it. It’s definitely a good position to fulfill my potential. I’m going to continue to show Coach I can be in the game more and make a difference. I think that will take care of itself in due time.”
– via ESPN

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Post#262 » by Dirk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#263 » by Dirk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Noel vs OKC... a few things...

https://streamable.com/8dwv4

60/21/10
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#264 » by JamesConway » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 am

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:(...)

Thanks for posting, I always love those little highlight-clips.

Nerlens has been really great since he came here:

- close to career high in PER (20.3 since joining us)
- career high ORB%, DRB% and TRB% (probably the most important factor given that working the boards has always been one of the biggest questionmark with him due to his size)
- high 50s in terms of FG%, almost 70% FTs
- 60+% TS% again
- and his steal-numbers are actually down a bit :crazy: :lol:
- really good on/off numbers (+5 overall via bballref.com ==> sample size is small, but I think the eye test definetely backs that up)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/noelne01.html

Absolutely love that we have him on board. He's been about as good as you could have hoped, the fit with him in our system appears to be great. He still has plenty of areas where he can/needs to get better (screen setting, rolling to the rim more effectively, adding some more weight), but the first impressions are very promising yet.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#265 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:52 pm

v Pels https://streamable.com/0nd21

v Grizzlies

v Bucks
https://streamable.com/fiwqz

v Kings

60/21/10
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#266 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Apr 9, 2017 1:55 pm

I think Nerlens looks to be a superstar roleplayer. If he can do his thing on a winning team he might even win a DPOY.

I think Nerlens is a 4th best player on a championship team. I think Harrison is a top three player on a championship team.

I also think
Yogi = Championship backup level PG
Seth = top 8 player on a title team
DFS = top ten player on a title team
Brussino = top 12 on a title team

I think everyone else will be gone by the time we contend or irrelevant to the contending.

Which means we have 5 out of 10 to be a pre-prime contender in my eyes.

Not to make this post to long, but

I see

Noel/Mejri/Hammons
Barnes/_______
______/Finnley-Smith/Brussino
______/Curry
______/Ferrell/_____

As relevant title contender players who should be able to be on an active roster in these roles.

We obviously need a defense first guard, more frontcourt rebounding hopefully by way of a powerforward lowpost throwback banger, at 3rd string PG I like old veterans,

Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri/Hammons
Barnes/Faried
Gallinari/Finnley-Smith
Gary Harris/Curry
Smith Jr/Ferrell/Devin Harris

Matthews+Powell+Barea+2018 top 25 protected 1st
For
Faried+Gallinari SnT+Gary Harris

Would be a dreamy way to send Dirk out (Dirk wins 6MOY too)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#267 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 9, 2017 2:37 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I think Nerlens looks to be a superstar roleplayer. If he can do his thing on a winning team he might even win a DPOY.

I think Nerlens is a 4th best player on a championship team. I think Harrison is a top three player on a championship team.

I also think
Yogi = Championship backup level PG
Seth = top 8 player on a title team
DFS = top ten player on a title team
Brussino = top 12 on a title team

I think everyone else will be gone by the time we contend or irrelevant to the contending.

Which means we have 5 out of 10 to be a pre-prime contender in my eyes.

Not to make this post to long, but

I see

Noel/Mejri/Hammons
Barnes/_______
______/Finnley-Smith/Brussino
______/Curry
______/Ferrell/_____

As relevant title contender players who should be able to be on an active roster in these roles.

We obviously need a defense first guard, more frontcourt rebounding hopefully by way of a powerforward lowpost throwback banger, at 3rd string PG I like old veterans,

Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri/Hammons
Barnes/Faried
Gallinari/Finnley-Smith
Gary Harris/Curry
Smith Jr/Ferrell/Devin Harris

Matthews+Powell+Barea+2018 top 25 protected 1st
For
Faried+Gallinari SnT+Gary Harris

Would be a dreamy way to send Dirk out (Dirk wins 6MOY too)

Don't be surprised if one or more of those guys is included in a trade to bring in a better player.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#268 » by Roy Tarpley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Does the Mavs bringing back Nowitzki make it harder to keep Noel? Do the Mavs have Noel's Bird rights?
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#269 » by 2011Champs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:Does the Mavs bringing back Nowitzki make it harder to keep Noel? Do the Mavs have Noel's Bird rights?
Mavs can match any offer made to Noel and Dirk is always willing to play at less than market value if need be. Both are easy signings for the Mavs unless Mavs want a bargain on Noel.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#270 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:23 am

Yea Noel isn't going anywhere. Curry might be gone though.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#271 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I do agree that Noel does bring championship qualities. I love that he said he was going to try and add 20 pounds of muscle. That is probably the right amount to not lose much of his quickness but to be better on the boards and in the post defending bigger guys. We've talked about his need to get better on the boards and defending pick & rolls, but his desire to be good is something you cannot teach.

I have no problem locking him up for the proposed 4 years, ~90-million range he's projected to go for. Assuming he adds the muscle and takes direction under RC, he will continue to get better and better to the point where he can be a DPOY candidate and an important part of a future championship with Dallas.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#272 » by feyki » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Noel will be better than Deandre next year.Not just thinking improving of Noel.But Deandre is on decline this year.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#273 » by Darren » Thu May 4, 2017 11:32 am

I am somewhat interested in a straight up deal for either Andre Drummond or Hassan Whiteside. I think we need a stronger rebounder and banger to pair with Dirk. Of course, if we only bother about rebuilding, we can match any of Noel's offer.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#274 » by HMFFL » Thu May 4, 2017 3:35 pm

Darren wrote:I am somewhat interested in a straight up deal for either Andre Drummond or Hassan Whiteside. I think we need a stronger rebounder and banger to pair with Dirk. Of course, if we only bother about rebuilding, we can match any of Noel's offer.

Pairing with Dirk?
The first thing that comes to my mind is that Dirk is only guaranteed to be a Maverick next season. For the time being, Dirk is no longer the priority on the team, and our future going forward over the next five seasons is priority. Noel must be signed and part of our future regardless. Adding additional big men that can be beneficial is a plus is gives us options to move bodies at that time.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#275 » by bran muffin » Sat May 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Nerlens Noel is a solid role player who can become a valuable asset --- provided he's not locked into some obscenely huge contract. He's a RESTRICTED free agent, which gives the Mavs an opportunity to possibly sign him for less than he's worth. Sometimes a restricted free agent is overlooked, and finds himself without a contract mid-July after all the other teams already spent their cap space on unrestricted free agents. That's when Noel could be forced to re-sign with the Mavs with a reasonably sized contract. Unfortunately...

Once in a while there are crazy teams that will offer another team's restricted free agent a huge contract. Maybe because they like the player a lot, or maybe because they're trolling a rival into matching a ridiculous offer. Mavs themselves have been accused of doing this on more than one occasion. I wonder if they'll be on the receiving end this time around.

I wonder if some team like the Rockets will offer Nerlens a max contract just to troll Cuban.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#276 » by dirkforpres » Sun May 14, 2017 2:16 am

bran muffin wrote:Nerlens Noel is a solid role player who can become a valuable asset --- provided he's not locked into some obscenely huge contract. He's a RESTRICTED free agent, which gives the Mavs an opportunity to possibly sign him for less than he's worth. Sometimes a restricted free agent is overlooked, and finds himself without a contract mid-July after all the other teams already spent their cap space on unrestricted free agents. That's when Noel could be forced to re-sign with the Mavs with a reasonably sized contract. Unfortunately...

Once in a while there are crazy teams that will offer another team's restricted free agent a huge contract. Maybe because they like the player a lot, or maybe because they're trolling a rival into matching a ridiculous offer. Mavs themselves have been accused of doing this on more than one occasion. I wonder if they'll be on the receiving end this time around.

I wonder if some team like the Rockets will offer Nerlens a max contract just to troll Cuban.

It wouldn't really be trolling though. Mavs should be expecting Noel to get a max contract offered from at least one team. They knew the risks, I think he is worth it
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#277 » by Mr B » Sun May 14, 2017 7:19 pm

The only thing that makes me think another team would not offer Noel a max contract is that it would likely prevent/limit that team from pursuing other free agents. When a team makes an offer don't they have to keep that cap space available, basically a cap hold?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#278 » by Mr B » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport)
5/30/17, 1:33 PM
Nerlens Noel expected to receive "multiple" max contract offers in free agency, per @fishsports ble.ac/2rgTkRn pic.twitter.com/7f0Xmpv7ge
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#279 » by Dirk » Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Mr B wrote:Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport)
5/30/17, 1:33 PM
Nerlens Noel expected to receive "multiple" max contract offers in free agency, per @fishsports ble.ac/2rgTkRn pic.twitter.com/7f0Xmpv7ge

Uhmmm... "multiple"? Anyone is free to have a look at projected cap space and then applying logic to the teams that would actually look at Noel: http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245546/The-Maximum-Available-2017-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams-Version-50

I can't see "multiple". I can only see... Brooklyn.
60/21/10
Mr B
RealGM

Post#280 » by Mr B » Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 pm

He'd be perfect for Boston if they didn't have a hard on for Gordon Hayward.

Return to Dallas Mavericks