Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Wed Mar 1, 2017 5:49 pm

Use this to discuss moves in free agency, suggest trades, etc.

If you notice any errors let me know.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 MAVS CAP SHEET
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DEPTH CHART
    DRAFT PICK? FA? / Ferrell / Barea
    MATTHEWS / Curry / Harris (cut?) / Brussino
    BARNES / Finney-Smith
    DIRK / Powell
    NOEL / Mejri / Hammons

DEADLINES
    Day following last day of moratorium — Dorian Finney-Smith’s salary guarantees for $100,000 for 2017-18.
    Day following last day of moratorium — Nicolas Brussino’s $1,312,611 guarantees for 2017-18.
    7/12/17 — Salah Mejri’s $1,471,382 guarantees for 2017-18.
    Opening night — Dorian Finney-Smith’s salary guarantees for $150,000 for 2017-18.
    10/31/17 — Team option for Justin Anderson.
    12/5/17 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s salary guarantees for $200,000 for 2016-17.
    1/10/18 — Devin Harris’ $4,402,546 million guarantees for 17/18.
    1/10/18 — Dorian Finney-Smith’s $1,312,611 guarantees for 2017-18.

FREE AGENTS
    Spoiler:
    PG
    Stephen Curry
    Kyle Lowry
    George Hill
    Jrue Holiday
    Patty Mills
    Michael Carter-Williams (RFA)
    Darren Collison
    Derrick Rose
    Ian Clark
    Deron Williams
    Raymond Felton
    Shelvin Mack
    Trey Burke (RFA)

SG
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (RFA)
    J.J. Redick
    Dion Waiters
    Jonathon Simmons
    Tim Hardaway Jr. (RFA)
    Ben McLemore (RFA)
    Justin Holiday
    Andre Roberson (RFA)
    Nick Young
    Tony Snell (RFA)
    C.J. Miles
    Tyreke Evans

SF
    Kevin Durant
    Gordon Hayward
    Otto Porter (RFA)
    Danilo Gallinari
    Shabazz Muhammad (RFA)
    Bojan Bogdanovic (RFA)
    Jerami Grant (RFA)
    Jeff Green
    Tony Allen
    P.J. Tucker
    Joe Ingles
    Andre Iguodala

PF
    Blake Griffin
    Paul Millsap
    Serge Ibaka
    Zach Randolph
    Nikola Mirotic (RFA)
    Taj Gibson
    Kelly Olynyk (RFA)
    Patrick Patterson
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Donatas Motiejunas
    Joffrey Lauvergne (RFA)
    Jonas Jerebko
    James Johnson

C
    Alex Len (RFA)
    Mason Plumlee (RFA)
    Greg Monroe (PO)
    Aron Baynes
    Amir Johnson
    Zaza Pachulia
    Jeff Withey
    Cristiano Felicio (RFA)
    Tiago Splitter
    Ed Davis
    Festus Ezeli

RESOURCES: SALARIES | CBA FAQ | FREE AGENTS
60/21/10
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#2 » by Pinkyring » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:13 pm

Excellent work, a couple things id like to see maunly, dork shouldn't be starting, with yogi one of barea or harris has to go, id prefer to keep harris personally. Im also in favor of throwing a 4/80 at ibaka, dumping powell although probably impossible needs to happen, as for the draft, sign me up for frank nick at nite
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#3 » by 2011Champs » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:43 pm

Mavs need to move Powell if Carlisle won't play him. That's a huge waste of money for someone Carlisle doesn't believe in.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:44 pm

Great thread DN as usual.

Pinkyring wrote:Excellent work, a couple things id like to see maunly, dork shouldn't be starting, with yogi one of barea or harris has to go, id prefer to keep harris personally. Im also in favor of throwing a 4/80 at ibaka, dumping powell although probably impossible needs to happen, as for the draft, sign me up for frank nick at nite

Pinky, I agree about Barea needing to go, I think Yogi can bring everything he does and more, so time to part ways. i disagree wholeheartedly with Ibaka though, that guy is done, finished, broken. I wouldn't go anywhere near him, I'd rather try and go after a big PG or a 2G that could be a semi-distributor allowing Seth to play the 1 where his size dictates he should be. Who that guy is? No idea, maybe someone like Batum, but I'd only be willing to eat that contract if we gave up Wes and barea, which Charlotte has no reason to do.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by Dirk » Wed Mar 1, 2017 7:12 pm

2011Champs wrote:Mavs need to move Powell if Carlisle won't play him. That's a huge waste of money for someone Carlisle doesn't believe in.

That contract was really puzzling. I really like Powell's energy, but he is making way too much.

Pinkyring wrote:Excellent work, a couple things id like to see maunly, dork shouldn't be starting, with yogi one of barea or harris has to go, id prefer to keep harris personally. Im also in favor of throwing a 4/80 at ibaka, dumping powell although probably impossible needs to happen, as for the draft, sign me up for frank nick at nite

On one hand you're heavily invested in the team losing games, but then you want to throw 80 million at Ibaka?

I am ok with the Mavs "being bad" next year, get another high pick (maybe!?). I wouldn't really want Noel/Ibaka/Noel to be the 'big three'. By "being bad", I mean staying with a younger roster, preserve some cap space flexibility if we can't get anything in free agency and see how things progress. Free agency doesn't look very appealing to me. Otto Porter is the obvious name, but he'll be matched. Then you have KCP I suppose.

Ironically, 80M/4yrs for Ibaka will probably be below what he will get in free agency. The Raptors can't really let him go and they can pay him more than the Mavs or any other team.
60/21/10
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#6 » by Pinkyring » Wed Mar 1, 2017 7:30 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
2011Champs wrote:Mavs need to move Powell if Carlisle won't play him. That's a huge waste of money for someone Carlisle doesn't believe in.

That contract was really puzzling. I really like Powell's energy, but he is making way too much.

On one hand you're heavily invested in the team losing games, but then you want to throw 80 million at Ibaka?

I am ok with the Mavs "being bad" next year, get another high pick (maybe!?). I wouldn't really want Noel/Ibaka/Noel to be the 'big three'. By "being bad", I mean staying with a younger roster, preserve some cap space flexibility if we can't get anything in free agency and see how things progress. Free agency doesn't look very appealing to me. Otto Porter is the obvious name, but he'll be matched. Then you have KCP I suppose.

Ironically, 80M/4yrs for Ibaka will probably be below what he will get in free agency. The Raptors can't really let him go and they can pay him more than the Mavs or any other team.

Imm pro tank this year because of our record and roster not being good enough to do anything but get swept and the quality of this draft, i want one high pick this year, add a quality free agent and get back to the playoffs next season. There's nothing to gain by winning games this year but i dont want to be philly either. Im sure ibaka can get more and if we have to roll dirk out at 4 next year then so be it
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#7 » by JamesConway » Thu Mar 2, 2017 2:17 pm

I agree on the stance on Powell. Admittedly, I actually did like the signing last summer as I thought we would see further improvements from him, but he has stagnated almost entirely this season and is on a very bad run since early January that he does not appear to be able to stop. I'm curious to know what's the matter with him. It looked like he turned the corner in december playing big minutes and getting very comfortable on offense, but that short span of decent play (at least offensively) has been overshadowed by two rather lousy months of basketball and he's clearly the inferior player compared to Mejri right now Imo. Therefore, I'd be trying hard to find a way to move him. If we can get out of his salary w/o giving up assets, I'm all in favor of it.

Some other quick points:

- nailing the draft pick will be crucial, regardless of where it lands.

- I agree that the FA-market doesn't appear all that intrigueing, but I'd still try to have a max slot available. At worst Donnie gets to invest a few bucks in players he really likes, maybe we can find another Curry among the likes of McLemore, Shabazz, etc.

- Out of the 'bigger' names I'm very intrigued by Porter, but I agree that he will get matched so we shouldn't invest too much time into him. Jrue is someone I'd target albeit that's another case where I don't see how we can pry him away. I like his positional fit on both ends of the floor and he should fit very well age-wise. Caldwell-Pope isn't all that exciting to me, but I haven't seen him play him play much except a few highlight clips of his big 30+ game a week or two ago so take it with a gran if salt.

- I would not look to flat out dump him, but Imo Wes Matthews shouldn't be untouchable at all if we were able to get a decent return for him that fits better with our young core age-wise. I think you might actually get a pretty good pick for him now that he has played well for months and appears to be a legitimate starter in this league again. For me the price tag would be a lottery pick. If we could get that, I'd move him. That would also give us a lot more room to maneuvre in FA and be more aggressive in e.g. chasing someone like Porter/Jrue/Caldwell-Pope.

- I'd also be open-minded to a sell-high opportunity on Seth, solely due to the fact that 16 months from today we'll have to negotiate a new deal with him w/o the benefit of having full bird rights. Which means that we'd have to bring him back by using caproom and while I love his recent play it will be crucial to see where he lands salary-wise. I'm not all that high on maxing out a 28 year old 6'2 SG with Barnes, Noel and Matthews already on our books for big dollars. I hope that we'll be extremely rational about this contract decision. But it's gonna be a very tough decision to make I'm afraid...
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pinkyring » Thu Mar 2, 2017 2:27 pm

JamesConway wrote:I agree on the stance on Powell. Admittedly, I actually did like the signing last summer as I thought we would see further improvements from him, but he has stagnated almost entirely this season and is on a very bad run since early January that he does not appear to be able to stop. I'm curious to know what's the matter with him. It looked like he turned the corner in december playing big minutes and getting very comfortable on offense, but that short span of decent play (at least offensively) has now been overshadowed by two rather lousy months of basketball and he's clearly the inferior player compared to Mejri right now Imo. Therefore, I'd be trying hard to find a way to move him. If we can get out of his salary w/o giving up assets, I'm all in favor of it.

Some other quick points:

- nailing the draft pick will be crucial, regardless of where it lands.

- I agree that the FA-market doesn't appear all that intrigueing, but I'd still try to have a max slot available. At worst Donnie gets to invest a few bucks in players he really likes, maybe we can find another Curry among the likes of McLemore, Shabazz, etc.

- Out of the 'bigger' names I'm very intrigued by Porter, but I agree that he will get matched so we shouldn't invest too much time into him. Jrue is someone I'd target albeit that's another case where I don't see how we can pry him away. I like his positional fit on both ends of the floor and he should fit very well age-wise. Caldwell-Pope isn't all that exciting to me, but I haven't seen him play him play much except a few highlight clips of his big 30+ game a week or two ago so take it with a gran if salt.

- Wes Matthews shouldn't be untouchable at all if we were able to get a decent return for him that fits better age-wise. I think you might actually get a pretty good pick for him now that he has played well for months and appears to be a legitimate starter in this league again. For me the price tag would be a lottery pick. If we could get that, I'd move him. That would give us also a lot more room to maneuvre in FAs and be more aggressive in e.g. chasing someone like Caldwell-Pope.

- I'd also be open-minded to a sell-high opportunity on Seth, solely due to the fact that 16 months from today we'll have to negotiate a new deal for him w/o the benefit of having full bird rights. Which means that we'd have to bring him back by using caproom and while I love his recent play it will be crucial to see where he lands salary-wise. I'm not all that high on maxing out a 28 year old 6'2 SG with Barnes, Noel and Matthews already on our books for big dollars. I hope that we'll be extremely rational about this contract decision. That's gonna be a very tough decision to make I'm afraid...

We have given a lot of terrible contracts that I didn't understand but i could see why it was done (parsons, matthews,barnes) but powell, we had him all year last season and he played 14mpg how was giving 9m to a guy that only got 14mpg a good idea, puzzling.

As for matthews nobody is untouchable and if our roster was better he'd be more productive but i wouldn't just give him away because any comparable player will cost more.

Im on the move curry train too especially if he stays solid down the stretch, I'd move him draft night, no bird rights and wouldn't fit cap wise.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#9 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Mar 2, 2017 2:35 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

The only way I see Toronto letting him go is if Lowry walks in FA. If they resign him then they almost have to resign Ibaka, they will not have another way of adding talent.

Free agency looks difficult indeed. I think KCP will be maxed out too(he would be perfect for 76ers) and the Pistons will match. Not sure who we can get without overpaying and locking us into a core with no chance of being a contender.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#10 » by fuller4379 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 2:53 pm

I can't see any way the Mavs will be able to dump Powell's contract on another team unless we take a bad contract in return like Mozgov or Deng. (Yes, we are stuck with him.) We rewarded a fringe NBA player with a contract that should be reserved for a team contributor. It would be nicer if Powell was making $2 million and having that additional $7 million to work with. The Mavs were not as bad as some teams, but you just don't sign a fringe player to a big deal because you have the cap space available.

Not much wiggle room to pick up a free agent. Assuming that Dirk's contract gets lowered to $10 million, then you might have $10 million to work with. Basically, we need to look at fresh start players who are young and talented but have failed in their first NBA team. I don't want to sign anyone over 26.

The team needs to hit a homerun in the draft to get help. I wish the Mavs would tank. The odds are making the playoffs this year are extremely slim, but the Mavs are always fighters and are not going to give up on it. You just got to see all these bad starts that they have overcame this year to know that they are still fighters and still fighting,
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#11 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Mar 2, 2017 4:35 pm

fuller4379 wrote:I can't see any way the Mavs will be able to dump Powell's contract on another team unless we take a bad contract in return like Mozgov or Deng. (Yes, we are stuck with him.) We rewarded a fringe NBA player with a contract that should be reserved for a team contributor. It would be nicer if Powell was making $2 million and having that additional $7 million to work with. The Mavs were not as bad as some teams, but you just don't sign a fringe player to a big deal because you have the cap space available.

Not much wiggle room to pick up a free agent. Assuming that Dirk's contract gets lowered to $10 million, then you might have $10 million to work with. Basically, we need to look at fresh start players who are young and talented but have failed in their first NBA team. I don't want to sign anyone over 26.

The team needs to hit a homerun in the draft to get help. I wish the Mavs would tank. The odds are making the playoffs this year are extremely slim, but the Mavs are always fighters and are not going to give up on it. You just got to see all these bad starts that they have overcame this year to know that they are still fighters and still fighting,

Agree with most of what you are saying here, but if we don't pick up the team option on Dirk then I think we will have almost $20 million in space, since we would use bird rights to sign Dirk to a new contract after we use cap space on free agents.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by fuller4379 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 4:44 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
Agree with most of what you are saying here, but if we don't pick up the team option on Dirk then I think we will have almost $20 million in space, since we would use bird rights to sign Dirk to a new contract after we use cap space on free agents.

We would have to renounce Dirk's Bird Rights in order to open up the cap space. If we don't, then there is cap hold based on Dirk's $25 million salary. We were able to go over the cap for Dirk last year because he only made $8 million in his prior contract; therefore, the cap hold was only $12 million.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 2, 2017 4:50 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:Agree with most of what you are saying here, but if we don't pick up the team option on Dirk then I think we will have almost $20 million in space, since we would use bird rights to sign Dirk to a new contract after we use cap space on free agents.

No. To use bird rights, you'd have to carry his cap hold [in this case it'd be 37.5M]. The Mavericks will have to renounce them. He'll be released, then maybe the Mavs can get something done with the cap space to sign players and they sign Dirk back with the room exception maybe (4M). Then the year after that, his cap hold would be low and the Mavs would have his bird rights again (they don't reset if the player is renounced but signed back to the same team) and using that exception, they could go over the cap and pay him a one year max salary to send him off. This is probably the best plan if he indeed played another 2 years.
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by fuller4379 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 5:06 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:Agree with most of what you are saying here, but if we don't pick up the team option on Dirk then I think we will have almost $20 million in space, since we would use bird rights to sign Dirk to a new contract after we use cap space on free agents.

No. To use bird rights, you'd have to carry his cap hold [in this case it'd be 37.5M]. The Mavericks will have to renounce them. He'll be released, then maybe the Mavs can get something done with the cap space to sign players and they sign Dirk back with the room exception maybe (4M). Then the year after that, his cap hold would be low and the Mavs would have his bird rights again (they don't reset if the player is renounced but signed back to the same team) and using that exception, they could go over the cap and pay him a one year max salary to send him off. This is probably the best plan if he indeed played another 2 years.

If they use the exception, then that would drop his cap impact to the $5 million in guaranteed money he gets. I agree with you assessment. The best way to cheat the system if you have a loyal player like Dirk is to alternate him between a small contract and max contract each year. The small contract will minimize the cap hold of the next year. After the big year, you must renounce the Bird Rights and flip back to a small dollar amount.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#15 » by Devassa » Thu Mar 2, 2017 5:30 pm

Free agency is garbage this summer. We got the one guy I cared about getting already and we will match him so I'm not too worried. Moving Powell and possibly trading up in the draft to get one of the 3 guards or Jackson (if possible) should be our main goals in the offseason and then coming back next season with a lineup like

(Draft pick)
Curry
Barnes
Dirk
Noel

With Matthews, Yogi and whatever we sign in the offseason coming off the bench should be able to compete for the playoffs by next season
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#16 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:05 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:Use this to discuss moves in free agency, suggest trades, etc.

Extend Yogi and Seth this summer.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:11 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:Use this to discuss moves in free agency, suggest trades, etc.

Extend Yogi and Seth this summer.

Renegotiations are only allowed on contracts of four or more years, and only after the third anniversary of the signing of that contract.
60/21/10
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm not convinced Curry is strictly a SG. If the Mavs strike out on PGs in the draft and FA I'm not so sure Curry couldn't compete with Yogi for the starting job.

I'm fine with keeping JJ, Devin, Wes and Dirk as vets on this team because I think they will play a huge role in getting young players acclimated to RCs system and are all high character role models. This is what separates us from the Sixers, Wolves, Pelicans and some of the other teams in my opinion because we have a rich winning culture and the main reason I never want to tank.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#19 » by Jinra » Thu Mar 2, 2017 11:35 pm

I think they need to make a decision and move Devin or JJ along. I personally do not want to go into next season with 4 guards 6'3 and under. And if JJ and Devin are just going to keep alternating injury seasons, it's time to move on from one of them. I think one of those guys with Wes and Dirk is plenty of veteran leadership to go around. Dallas really needs to add depth & size to that SG spot. Only keep them both if we don't get a PG in the draft or FA. 4 PGs is enough, move one of them.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#20 » by Lord Cuban » Thu Mar 2, 2017 11:40 pm

I think our offseason will depend of the outcome of the draft lotery... but for where we are now i think about this:

- Dirk Nowitzki announces retirement;

- Trade Wesley Matthews and J.J. Barea to 76ers for 2017 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers and 2017 second round draft pick from Miami;

- Take Frank Ntilikina/Dennis Smith and Lauri Markkanen with the 1st round picks;

- Take Dillon Brooks with the 2nd round pick;

- Re-sign Nerlens Noel - 64M 4 year contract;

- Sign Shabazz Muhammad;

PG - Frank Ntilikina/Dennis Smith - Yogi Ferrell - _______________
SG - Seth Curry - Devin Harris - Nicolas Brussino
SF - Dorian Finney-Smith - Shabazz Muhammad - Dillon Brooks
PF - Harrison Barnes - Lauri Markkanen - Dwight Powell
C - Nerlens Noel - Salah Mejri - A.J. Hammons

RC can make this guys work hard...
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks