ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#41 » by Pinkyring » Sat Mar 4, 2017 2:51 am

HotrodBeaubois wrote:Summer 2018 - Haven't seen the projected Salary cap but we will plan with it being $105,000,000

Curry 26,000,000
Noel 26,000,000
Barnes 24,108,000
Smith 6th Pick 4,000,000
Yogi Re-Sign 3,000,000
DFS 1,500,000
Brussino 1,500,000
Hammons 1,500,000
2018 Pick 15-17 2,000,000

$90,608,000

Dirk plays this year on a Minimum salary - Room exception then comes back for a final year where gets paid close to Max but under the lux tax but not until after we spend our cap space

So we have 5 open roster spots with $14,392,000 in cap space . This number can go up a few ways .
1-This Summer we get Noel for a little less than the Max
2-We don't have to pay Curry the Max ( I'm just allocating Max money Just in case )

Ideally we offer Noel a 5year $100+ Million contract starting at $20 Million . So now we have a extra $4.5 Million to spend ( $18.892 M ) Then we sign Curry for 4 Years starting at $18 Million giving us a extra $8 Million to spend ( $26.892 M )

So we could squeeze another $22-23 Million player to go with

Smith / Curry / $22-23 M / Barnes / Noel

Again the plan should getting Matthews / Barea / Powell off the roster this summer and Harris expire so we can finish building our Team with Re-signing Curry and grabbing another good player with leftover cap

Unless that curry is steph you're out of your mind, no chance in hell he gets that money
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#42 » by HotrodBeaubois » Sat Mar 4, 2017 5:32 am

Pinkyring wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:Summer 2018 - Haven't seen the projected Salary cap but we will plan with it being $105,000,000

Curry 26,000,000
Noel 26,000,000
Barnes 24,108,000
Smith 6th Pick 4,000,000
Yogi Re-Sign 3,000,000
DFS 1,500,000
Brussino 1,500,000
Hammons 1,500,000
2018 Pick 15-17 2,000,000

$90,608,000

Dirk plays this year on a Minimum salary - Room exception then comes back for a final year where gets paid close to Max but under the lux tax but not until after we spend our cap space

So we have 5 open roster spots with $14,392,000 in cap space . This number can go up a few ways .
1-This Summer we get Noel for a little less than the Max
2-We don't have to pay Curry the Max ( I'm just allocating Max money Just in case )

Ideally we offer Noel a 5year $100+ Million contract starting at $20 Million . So now we have a extra $4.5 Million to spend ( $18.892 M ) Then we sign Curry for 4 Years starting at $18 Million giving us a extra $8 Million to spend ( $26.892 M )

So we could squeeze another $22-23 Million player to go with

Smith / Curry / $22-23 M / Barnes / Noel

Again the plan should getting Matthews / Barea / Powell off the roster this summer and Harris expire so we can finish building our Team with Re-signing Curry and grabbing another good player with leftover cap

Unless that curry is steph you're out of your mind, no chance in hell he gets that money

The hope is he gets a lot less . But if he is averaging 20 PPG on .450 3P% next year then someone will toss him the max and it would be a mistake to let him leave .
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

How good will the Mavs be with Blake Griffin? 

Post#43 » by Soupman » Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:38 pm

How good will the Mavs be with Blake Griffin?
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Re: How good will the Mavs be with Blake Griffin? 

Post#44 » by Devassa » Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:58 pm

Soupman wrote:How good will the Mavs be with Blake Griffin?

That's who I think we should target. I'm more on board with trading the pick now than going after an unproven rookie. I don't know if the Clippers are ready to rebuild or not though. If they'd do Wes, Powell, and our pick for Blake then we would have to jump on it
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#45 » by k-lynch201 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:19 pm

In a year or 2 Barnes is going to look like a steal if he keeps playing the way he is.

Resigning Noel is a no brainer, let the market dictate his price, if he gets a max offer, then we max him, simple as that, cant afford to let a young talent go.

It will be key to have Dirk take a pay cut, great for the team, but it sounds so disloyal to our franchise.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#46 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 5, 2017 9:22 am

After the Deandre Jordan fiasco, i dont think Cuban would like to have anything to do with him.

A pipe dream would be for Phil Jackson to continue running NYK to the ground and do a Noah + Porzingis for Wes, Powell, And Yogi swap.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#47 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 5, 2017 10:09 am

k-lynch201 wrote:It will be key to have Dirk take a pay cut, great for the team, but it sounds so disloyal to our franchise.

There are ways around it. Dirk can take the minimum now, after retirement Cuban can give him a nice estate and send his kids to college. Like a backloaded deal.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#48 » by HotrodBeaubois » Sun Mar 5, 2017 10:12 am

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245167/The-Maximum-Available-2017-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams-Version-40

Interesting article which looks at everyone's cap space. Of course we killed the Grizzles cap space with Parson and the max offer we gave to Conley. How can the Lakers be in such a mess? Oh yes, they signed Deng and Mozgov to ridiculous deals. Will Philly ever use its cap space. Of course $10 million of the Mavs $19 million is going to be a cap hold for Noel.

Noel is already factored in there.

The Grizzlies didn't really have much of an option. They Conley's bird rights. Last year was the one chance they had to sign 'someone'. Portland was the team that forced them to give a max to Parsons.

Those two Lakers contracts are mind boggling indeed. Mozgov barely played the year before and Deng had become a journeyman, yet they were paid as if they still had any real value. Crazy. At least the Portland bad contracts were given out to players still relatively young. The Mavs would be sitting well if they hadn't paid Powell, but looking back, we also know they heavily overpaid Matthews and even Barea (even if his salary feels meaningless now).

I agree the Powell contract is pathetic hopefully we can move it for a couple of seconds

Matthews you should start looking for takers during this years draft either get a mid-late 1st this year or a 2018 pick

I would also look to move Harris during this years draft his contract is $4.4 Million expiring but just $1.4 Million guaranteed so send $3.5 Million Cash we might even get a 2nd round pick back ( doubtful ) the team that gets him could waive him and still pocket $2.1 Million for the loss of $1.4 Million cap space . His $4.4 Million then could be used to either get us closer to a max contract this summer or we could look to sign Yogi for $3 Million a year 2 years then get full Bird Rights . If not that on Yogi we could just pay him the room exception for 2 years then get Bird Rights

Barea owed $3.9 Million a year for years at 32 while playing in just 18 games I would hope you could send him to a contender freeing up his money for the summer of 2018 and Re-signing Curry

All 4 of these moves need to start rolling this year so we can have the deck cleared by 2018 with only

Noel
Barnes
Yogi
2017 Top 10 Pick
Brussino
Finney smith
Hammons
2018 Pick
Hopefully a 17/18 Pick from Matthews

Leaving you plenty of money to sign Curry and grab a few more cheap players
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,052

Post#49 » by Dirk » Sun Mar 5, 2017 12:05 pm

k-lynch201 wrote:In a year or 2 Barnes is going to look like a steal if he keeps playing the way he is.

I think you still need to see him take an extra step in his game for him to truly be a steal. In any case... in two years... he has a player option.

HotrodBeaubois wrote:I agree the Powell contract is pathetic hopefully we can move it for a couple of seconds

Matthews you should start looking for takers during this years draft either get a mid-late 1st this year or a 2018 pick

I would also look to move Harris during this years draft his contract is $4.4 Million expiring but just $1.4 Million guaranteed so send $3.5 Million Cash we might even get a 2nd round pick back ( doubtful ) the team that gets him could waive him and still pocket $2.1 Million for the loss of $1.4 Million cap space . His $4.4 Million then could be used to either get us closer to a max contract this summer or we could look to sign Yogi for $3 Million a year 2 years then get full Bird Rights . If not that on Yogi we could just pay him the room exception for 2 years then get Bird Rights

Barea owed $3.9 Million a year for years at 32 while playing in just 18 games I would hope you could send him to a contender freeing up his money for the summer of 2018 and Re-signing Curry

All 4 of these moves need to start rolling this year so we can have the deck cleared by 2018 with only

Matthews has a sizable salary, so you're likely will have to receive a big contract back. In vacuum, I think moving him for a draft pick + cap space is the best move. But it's not something the Mavs really should be desperate to do. For instance, no way should the Mavs be moving him for a guy like Kanter. That's something that I see frequently and it boggles my mind how fans want that guy on their team.

You can't touch Yogi's contract or Seth's contract. They'll both expire at the end of next season and the Mavs will only have early bird rights... which limits the amount of money they can offer them using that exception. In Curry's case, it's very likely you will have to use cap space if you want to retain him.
60/21/10
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#50 » by Hadley » Sun Mar 5, 2017 4:47 pm

arkuo wrote:
k-lynch201 wrote:It will be key to have Dirk take a pay cut, great for the team, but it sounds so disloyal to our franchise.

There are ways around it. Dirk can take the minimum now, after retirement Cuban can give him a nice estate and send his kids to college. Like a backloaded deal.

I'm sure dirk can pay the University-Money for his Kids without Cuban and its only 280€ per Simester. ;)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#51 » by Darren » Sun Mar 5, 2017 4:59 pm

Devassa wrote:

That's who I think we should target. I'm more on board with trading the pick now than going after an unproven rookie. I don't know if the Clippers are ready to rebuild or not though. If they'd do Wes, Powell, and our pick for Blake then we would have to jump on it

I am not so keen on players on short windows such as Blake Griffin and Paul Millsap. Of course, for the proposed deal, we should be interested depending on what's left in draft. I am more interested in younger player such as Gallinari and Ibaka. If we can't get either, I'd save the cap rooms for Cousins in 2018. I am also interested in a Wes for Rubio swap.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,827

Post#52 » by dirkforpres » Sun Mar 5, 2017 4:59 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
k-lynch201 wrote:In a year or 2 Barnes is going to look like a steal if he keeps playing the way he is.

I think you still need to see him take an extra step in his game for him to truly be a steal. In any case... in two years... he has a player option.

HotrodBeaubois wrote:I agree the Powell contract is pathetic hopefully we can move it for a couple of seconds

Matthews has a sizable salary, so you're likely will have to receive a big contract back. In vacuum, I think moving him for a draft pick + cap space is the best move. But it's not something the Mavs really should be desperate to do. For instance, no way should the Mavs be moving him for a guy like Kanter. That's something that I see frequently and it boggles my mind how fans want that guy on their team.

You can't touch Yogi's contract or Seth's contract. They'll both expire at the end of next season and the Mavs will only have early bird rights... which limits the amount of money they can offer them using that exception. In Curry's case, it's very likely you will have to use cap space if you want to retain him.

I think moving Powell is much more important to the Mavs than moving Matthews. Having Wes expire here is important for cap space purposes next summer (after maxing Noel) so we can bring Seth back. Powell is useless, and I think Mavs FO will want Markkanen in the draft, so Powell essentially becomes even more of an odd man out than he already is. I could see Brooklyn trading for him for a number of reasons (young, athletic, cap space available)... in just not sure they would give up anything more than a future second rounder.. but I would take that deal
FIRE JASON KIDD
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#53 » by Darren » Mon Mar 6, 2017 1:21 am

1.Dwight Powell, Jose Barea / Devin Harris, Seth Curry and pick not named Fultz for Eric Bledsoe.
2.Wes Matthews for Evan Turner and right to big German.

These trade works for me.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#54 » by k-lynch201 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 6:48 am

16/24 games left are on the road, but lets say we get that 8th seed, sure it would be so awesome to face the dubs 10 years after they beat us as an 8 seed.... because if we play them like we have played lately, we might be able to snag a few games.

However were going to end up with 18th pick, its great we get to keep our pick, but 18? Sounds like crap. Personally I have wanted a top 5 pick all year, seems that ship has sailed, now we can HOPE for a top 10....but what can we do? Have to be happy our hopeful young future nucleus is playing so well.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#55 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:36 am

k-lynch201 wrote:16/24 games left are on the road, but lets say we get that 8th seed, sure it would be so awesome to face the dubs 10 years after they beat us as an 8 seed.... because if we play them like we have played lately, we might be able to snag a few games.

However were going to end up with 18th pick, its great we get to keep our pick, but 18? Sounds like crap. Personally I have wanted a top 5 pick all year, seems that ship has sailed, now we can HOPE for a top 10....but what can we do? Have to be happy our hopeful young future nucleus is playing so well.

Even if the Mavs go to the playoffs they would have a 15th pick... because none of the east playoffs teams have less than 50% victorys and that's the Mavs will not have a 41-41 record..
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#56 » by fuller4379 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 1:25 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:
k-lynch201 wrote:16/24 games left are on the road, but lets say we get that 8th seed, sure it would be so awesome to face the dubs 10 years after they beat us as an 8 seed.... because if we play them like we have played lately, we might be able to snag a few games.

Even if the Mavs go to the playoffs they would have a 15th pick... because none of the east playoffs teams have less than 50% victorys and that's the Mavs will not have a 41-41 record..

Unless we beat the Warriors or Spurs in the first round. :lol:
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#57 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Mar 7, 2017 3:50 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:

Unless we beat the Warriors or Spurs in the first round. :lol:

That would not change anything in the 1st round...
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#58 » by 2011Champs » Tue Mar 7, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm concerned that he hasn't played 80 games in a season since 2013-2014. If Blake could stay healthy I think he would be tremendous in Dallas. I'd be up for shooting him a quick offer but I'm not letting that whole Deandre fiasco happen again. I think OKC and LAC would be his most likely destinations this off season.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#59 » by Jinra » Tue Mar 7, 2017 4:27 pm

2011Champs wrote:

I'm concerned that he hasn't played 80 games in a season since 2013-2014. If Blake could stay healthy I think he would be tremendous in Dallas. I'd be up for shooting him a quick offer but I'm not letting that whole Deandre fiasco happen again. I think OKC and LAC would be his most likely destinations this off season.

Just don't know that I see him leaving the Clippers.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#60 » by Jinra » Tue Mar 7, 2017 5:20 pm

Bleacher Report suggests Dallas may look at Jrue Holliday, JJ Reddick or C.J. Miles this offseason... depending on what happens with the draft.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks