Mark Cuban: I Didn't Adapt To NBA, They Adapted to Me

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Mark Cuban: I Didn't Adapt To NBA, They Adapted to Me 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Mark Cuban is now a veteran NBA owner, purchasing the Dallas Mavericks 17 years ago. Since Cuban bought the Mavericks, 16 of the 30 teams have changed ownership hands.

When Cuban arrived in the NBA, he was a younger owner with a set of ideas that disturbed their status quo. Cuban frequently engaged in attention seeking behavior (Google: Ed Rush, Dairy Queen) while also helping to modernize their business such as making the conditions for players significantly improved.

"It was a whole lot more fun when I was the young guy screwing everything up," said Cuban. "But (the establishment) listened to me and I guess I molded them into what I wanted (laughs). So now that there’s nothing new to change and I don’t have any reason to complain, it’s all good. I didn’t adapt to them, they adapted to me. I was a bully, my way or the highway." http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245249/Mark-Cuban-I-Didnt-Adapt-To-NBA-They-Adapted-to-Me

What a day it was when he took over as owner.
At that point, I just wanted change, and I knew a new situation would be a good beginning for us. What a ride it has been and a blessing.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Re: Mark Cuban: I Didn't Adapt To NBA, They Adapted to Me 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:55 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Mark Cuban is now a veteran NBA owner, purchasing the Dallas Mavericks 17 years ago. Since Cuban bought the Mavericks, 16 of the 30 teams have changed ownership hands.

When Cuban arrived in the NBA, he was a younger owner with a set of ideas that disturbed their status quo. Cuban frequently engaged in attention seeking behavior (Google: Ed Rush, Dairy Queen) while also helping to modernize their business such as making the conditions for players significantly improved.

"It was a whole lot more fun when I was the young guy screwing everything up," said Cuban. "But (the establishment) listened to me and I guess I molded them into what I wanted (laughs). So now that there’s nothing new to change and I don’t have any reason to complain, it’s all good. I didn’t adapt to them, they adapted to me. I was a bully, my way or the highway." http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245249/Mark-Cuban-I-Didnt-Adapt-To-NBA-They-Adapted-to-Me

At that point, I just wanted change, and I knew a new situation would be a good beginning for us. What a ride it has been and a blessing.

I can't help but think though had he not lucked into Dirk, would he really be a positive? or blessing as you said? I for one think he is arrogant (yes I understand most people with his kind of $$ are), but I truly feel that Dirk would have multiple titles had it not been for Cuban's constant meddling with the roster.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#3 » by Devassa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:09 pm

He's starting to become more annoying than anything.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#4 » by fuller4379 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm

When he got to Dallas things were already in place. The team had Dirk, Nash, and Finley. He was willing to open his checkbook and trade expiring Maverick contracts for overpaid by solid veterans like Kidd, Chandler, and Marion. Sometimes he tried and failed to outsmart the league like refusing to resign Nash and breaking up the championship team to chase a big fish to play with Dirk. Dirk had a couple dominant years wasted after the 2011 championship because Cuban broke up the team. Overall, he has been a good owner but his biggest fault is that he thinks he is smarter than everyone else.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

I can't help but think though had he not lucked into Dirk, would he really be a positive? or blessing as you said? I for one think he is arrogant (yes I understand most people with his kind of $$ are), but I truly feel that Dirk would have multiple titles had it not been for Cuban's constant meddling with the roster.

From a business standpoint you cannot deny that he's been successful. The sellouts continue as of now.
However, as a fan, I did disagree with the roster changes, and filling the roster with mainly veterans. I am content with it now since we have our championship, but yes, multiple ones could have been had, and the past has been full of many frustrating times.
Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Post#6 » by Jinra » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:23 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
... but I truly feel that Dirk would have multiple titles had it not been for Cuban's constant meddling with the roster.

I would say this would only be true if Dirk had landed in a big market, otherwise our poor Dirk would have traveled the NBA like Pau Gasol. I don't think any other team would have kept featuring Dirk exclusively as hard as Dallas did. Dirk is not a "mainstream" Star, and other teams would have traded him to acquire a "mainstream" Star. The Dallas Mavericks and Dirk Nowitzki truly needed each other to be were they are now.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#7 » by studcrackers » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 pm

HMFFL wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

From a business standpoint you cannot deny that he's been successful. The sellouts continue as of now.
However, as a fan, I did disagree with the roster changes, and filling the roster with mainly veterans. I am content with it now since we have our championship, but yes, multiple ones could have been had, and the past has been full of many frustrating times.

We're not seriously counting the sell out streak are we? It's a running joke around here
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,573

Post#8 » by Baz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:50 am

I still love Mark. There are times when I think back and cringe at the stupid **** he's done, but his passion for the success of the team are enough to win me over. Our franchise has become a winning one ever since he's been our owner.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#9 » by k-lynch201 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:05 am

Love him or hate him, he is very outspoken, but say what you will about him- he is passionate and loves the Mavs, cant ask for much more out of an owner.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#10 » by DBoys » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 pm

HMFFL wrote:From a business standpoint you cannot deny that he's been successful. The sellouts continue as of now.

If you define sellout streak as including "games in which the owner bought up to 10,000 leftover tickets" then I guess the streak is alive. But if it's limited to actually selling all the tickets to outside customers night after night, Dallas people who have been to games know better. The streak ended YEARS ago and actual sellouts are incredibly rare. And by any definition of ownership, Cuban stopped being a good owner years ago, and now it's just a rich guy playing with a broken toy and acting like he knows how to make it work properly, when he doesn't.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#11 » by Devassa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

HMFFL wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

That streak is a joke. A gross portion of those tickets are handouts. Hell, you can get in for free with a little face paint... I for sure wouldn't pay to see this team at the moment. Bring in a talented rookie and maybe sign some capable players over the summer and then we will talk.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#12 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Devassa wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

That streak is a joke. A gross portion of those tickets are handouts. Hell, you can get in for free with a little face paint... I for sure wouldn't pay to see this team at the moment. Bring in a talented rookie and maybe sign some capable players over the summer and then we will talk.

Yeah I live in Maryland and was considering buying a ticket to see my first ever Mavs game this Wednesday against the Wiz, but why bother when JJ barea will get a lion share of minutes that should be going to younger players and Wes Matthews will be chucking up shots and over dribbling all night for the price of 17 mill a year.

Return to Dallas Mavericks